The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD:
1. Run a marathon. Hey, look, I'm already done. Okay, we can go home now 🙃
✅ Like I said, the benefit of the WDW Marathon is that I was done with this on January 8 😂
2. Run at least 100 miles per month. Running regularly has been great, and I'd like to keep it up all year in 2023. This month might actually be the hardest since I'm taking at least a week off after the marathon and then getting back into it slowly. But I've already run 55 miles in January, so it still seems doable.
➡️ So far so good:
  • January: 106
  • February: 130
  • March: 161
  • April: 169
  • May: 125
  • June: 139
However, December is going to mess me up because I'm running the Space Coast Marathon on November 26 and then naturally taking some time to recover. So I'm kind of doubtful that I will actually achieve this one. But that's okay; I will still be well over 1,200 miles for the whole year.
3. Many PRs. Now that I'm actually running consistently, I figure I should be able to get PRs in all of my current race distances (5K, 10K, 10M, HM) as long as I can find races to do and don't have terrible weather or surprise injuries.
➡️ Also on track. So far I have had PRs in:
  • 10M (+10K unofficially)
  • 10K (officially)
  • Mile (unofficially)
I haven't raced a HM this year, but I'm feeling good about my chances at that PR in September, plus the marathon in November.

ATTQOTD, mid-year check on 2023 goals
  • Enjoy 😊 all the year will bring ✅ It was a very generous year so far 🤩
  • Do not set goals that I won’t really commit to achieve aka strength training or perfect eating habits ✅ Perfect timing to reread this, I was about to feel bad about the next indulgence 🤣
  • See if I can find my fast gear back for shorter distances. Focus on potential 5k and 10k PR ❓I did PR on a 2k and a 5k but I don’t feel fast. My training runs are slower and slower, it seems. At least I learnt not to attempt a 10k PR in the middle of a Challenge when the T+D is terrible. 🙄
  • Complete all of my already full racing calendar (thanks 2020):
    5k des Érables ✅PR
    Disney Springtime Surprise Challenge ✅✅✅
    Ottawa 59.2 Challenge ✅✅✅✅
    Demi-Marathon Vignobles
    Demi-Marathon Ptit Train du Nord
    Marathon NYRR
  • Race a triathlon Sprint w DD, if she wants to

I just realized that 2023 is a year full of races that I won’t run alone. That, in itself, is a pretty interesting adaptation.

I don't remember what I put for my 2023 goals AT ALL so considering my mindset at the time, I'm both fascinated and nervous to see what I wrote.

ATTQOTD: I don't have a lot of defined goals for 2023 because of how much my life has changed recently, so I only want to stay consistent. I'd also like to run more new races in new places I've never been, so I'm thinking about that for the fall.

And stay healthy. I did that in the second half of 2022, I want to keep that up!

Well hey... That's totally normal and reasonable. Disappointing.

Consistency has been a check. I've increased my base mileage.

New races yes, new places no. I've run 3 races so far this year and 2 were new, but I only traveled for 1 (and it was a place where I've already raced, to boot). This fall I decided to run the Marine Corps Marathon, which is both a new race and at home, so not traveling again. The new places goal will be one for next year, as I've got some intriguing ideas.

Stay healthy - so far so good. Some nagging things here and there but I've addressed those immediately and I'm continuing occasional PT + strength training as I marathon train.

QOTD: I don't have a lot of running goals in 2023. It is going to be a very busy year work-wise with long days so I'll go with these three:
  • Finish Boston respectable (around 3:30-3:40) but I'm not going for a re-qualification
  • Keep running consistently through the work projects
  • Concentrate on short race speed and aim for a 1-mile PR (5:27) and to get back under 19:00 for the 5K. I got within 17 seconds but then needed to build in some recovery before starting Boston training and couldn't get those last 17 seconds.
  • I was a little slower at Boston but knew going in I was undetrained so I'll take my 3:49.
  • My running has been pretty consistent so I'll give this one a yes.
  • The last one is a goal for the fall so it is thus far undetermined.

My goals......
Given my increasing age and injury quotient and decreasing speed, I have to look at non-race based goals. I guess I'd like to be able to always be ready to run a half marathon. Whatever regular running keeps me in that shape is what I am aiming for.

I am trying to decide, though, if I should try one last "healthy" marathon (my last marathon was MW 22 and I was injured). I have guaranteed entry into New York this year, given that I broke my foot last year and had to cancel my registration. So I am thinking about signing up and giving it a go. I don't know if that is a great idea, but we'll see.

Finally, on a whim, I signed up to run the half at The Dramathon in Scotland in October.....could make a nice trip.

Well....I did sign up for NYC and am in week 3 of training. I am so far still healthy. I also booked travel to do the Dramathon (a few days in the Cairngorms and a few days in London). My mileage this year has focused on slowly/smartly building to do NYC and part of that involved a half plan ending with a "where are we" kind of run.

So, geez (knocking on my wood floors), so far/so good. And now, let the jinx begin.

QOTD: remember when we made those goals back in January? How are those going for you? Have you needed to re evaluate and adjust them? Are you on track?
ATTQOTD: The only goal I had going in to 2023 was finishing Dopey. ☑️ Since then I decided I would shoot for 100 miles a month this year, mainly to keep me moving through the summer and come into the fall training season with a good base. So far that one’s holding up. My family is traveling to Italy for 2 weeks this month. I am planning on running some, but I prioritize family time when on vacation so idk if I will be running enough to get there this month. But maybe, and if not, it will be close. I have a few races planned but my A race won’t be until Jan 2024 so no time goals for this calendar year as of yet.

Question for anyone who regularly runs in wooded areas: any advice on getting the deer flies to stay the %$#! away from my head? I had to detour to a non-wooded area, cut my run short, and call for a ride back to my car because the stupid deer flies kept buzzing around my head and landing in my hair and getting in my face.

Sitting on the hill at the member party if any Disers are still at Peachtree. Happy 4th!
I just saw them post that the race is canceled as of 20 minutes ago -- guessing there were some later corrals that didn't get released? Curious to hear from anyone there as it seems they were able to let folks start up until maybe 10:30am.

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 10.56.56 AM.png

Question for anyone who regularly runs in wooded areas: any advice on getting the deer flies to stay the %$#! away from my head? I had to detour to a non-wooded area, cut my run short, and call for a ride back to my car because the stupid deer flies kept buzzing around my head and landing in my hair and getting in my face.
Great question! I don't have an answer but would love to hear if anyone has suggestions. I've almost made myself go deaf hitting myself near my ear trying to kill them when they're on/around my head.

ATTQOTD, mid-year check on 2023 goals...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLOLLLLL

But there IS light at the end of the tunnel. We closed on our home on Friday, and our stuff will be in as of the 14th. We will have a full home gym, I'll have my treadmill back, and we're in a rural area where I can safely run on the roads. Hopefully things calm down enough then to get back on track.

I just saw them post that the race is canceled as of 20 minutes ago -- guessing there were some later corrals that didn't get released? Curious to hear from anyone there as it seems they were able to let folks start up until maybe 10:30am.

View attachment 774749
The last wave was to start at 8:30, so I assume most finished before lightning started. Some walkers in the last waves were probably not there yet, but Piedmont Park may have still been teeming with folks at the after party. Me? I was back at my hotel, when I first heard thunder!

@OldSlowGoofyGuy @garneska @princesspirateandrunner Sorry we missed you. Came in slow, didn’t see any of you at M balloon, and barely went through the member area (but got some Mini Oreos!) because of the crowd. I didn’t even spot Bert at 12th street!😢

That was a hot one, not my best showing but I think with the T + D (72+69 when I was laying in bed at 5:15 not sure how much it changed by 7:10) I will take it. First thing out of the way, it was hot. Thankfully the sun stayed behind the clouds. After getting off Marta, I found the puppet guy on my train.

IMG_2636.jpeg

I made it to the coral and started looking for @OldSlowGoofyGuy. I found him and his brother. We chatted it up and discussed the hot weather. The anthem was sung and there was no flyover. Very disappointing for me. Then we headed to the corals for the start.

IMG_2638.jpeg

the first mile was going to let me know what my goals were. If it was under 9 minutes I would try and push and if it was over 9 then try to go under 60 minutes, it was a 9:20 and packed in so I just did what I could. Took the first half kind of fast because of the downhill then cruised on the up hill. Did not feel too bad till about mile 5.5, just when I was getting ready to find Bert and Whisky.

I found them and Whisky was terrified. She does not like 5e fireworks so the last few days have been difficult on her. She was not jazzed about all the people. It was a bit odd since she did so well for Pam at the Dam Run. After I went by, Bert took her home. I finished in an unofficial 57:50. i went to M but was miserable, so I went and met Bert and headed home. Took a shower and then Bert and I went back out to 10th st to cheer people on.

We left around 9:45. I was sitting out on the balcony and at 10:15 out of nowhere it started pouring. i got the message about it cancelled but the last coral started at 8:30 so most people finished.

the fun part will be tonight with a scared whisky. She is even afraid to go outside. I hope she gets over that soon. Though at 5:30 this morning walking to the train she was good. I guess less noise.

Great question! I don't have an answer but would love to hear if anyone has suggestions. I've almost made myself go deaf hitting myself near my ear trying to kill them when they're on/around my head.
Yeah, I had a mini freak out because they just wouldn’t leave me alone and I could feel them crawling on my hair and buzzing in my ear. I’m glad no one was around to witness it 🫣😂

This may be an odd question, but it’s based largely in the fact that I have no idea what I’m talking about. The Wine and Dine 5K is sold out. We had no plans to be in Orlando that weekend until about a week ago.

Question: Are there ever slots that reopen? If so, what should I do? Do I just watch the website. Thanks for the help, and I apologize for what may seem like an elementary question to all you seasoned Disney runners!

This may be an odd question, but it’s based largely in the fact that I have no idea what I’m talking about. The Wine and Dine 5K is sold out. We had no plans to be in Orlando that weekend until about a week ago.

Question: Are there ever slots that reopen? If so, what should I do? Do I just watch the website. Thanks for the help, and I apologize for what may seem like an elementary question to all you seasoned Disney runners!

Spots rarely open, but it does happen. Your best bet would be to monitor the Telegram group "rundisregstatus" that posts when it happens--obviously they go really quickly (minutes). Also rarely, charities have bibs become available.

Yeah, I had a mini freak out because they just wouldn’t leave me alone and I could feel them crawling on my hair and buzzing in my ear. I’m glad no one was around to witness it 🫣😂
I'm not sure what deerflies are, but since I generally don't have a lot of insects circling my head during a trail run, I'm going to say that no, I don't have that problem. Sometimes there are clouds of small gnat-type flies that I don't detect until I run through the cloud.

I'm assuming you've tried insect repellent? You could try insect repellent on a hat that you wear.

Speaking of freak outs... I did once have a large horsefly that started circling my head and terrorizing me (LOL) when I stopped for a quick break. It actually followed me when I started running again, which is unusual. I couldn't shake it. But I happened to be wearing my hat, so I took it off, held it by the bill, and started just spinning and waving it to try to hit the fly. And I did! It was a very satisfying bzzzzzz----t!

That was a hot one, not my best showing but I think with the T + D (72+69 when I was laying in bed at 5:15 not sure how much it changed by 7:10) I will take it. First thing out of the way, it was hot. Thankfully the sun stayed behind the clouds. After getting off Marta, I found the puppet guy on my train.

View attachment 774786

I made it to the coral and started looking for @OldSlowGoofyGuy. I found him and his brother. We chatted it up and discussed the hot weather. The anthem was sung and there was no flyover. Very disappointing for me. Then we headed to the corals for the start.

View attachment 774785

the first mile was going to let me know what my goals were. If it was under 9 minutes I would try and push and if it was over 9 then try to go under 60 minutes, it was a 9:20 and packed in so I just did what I could. Took the first half kind of fast because of the downhill then cruised on the up hill. Did not feel too bad till about mile 5.5, just when I was getting ready to find Bert and Whisky.

I found them and Whisky was terrified. She does not like 5e fireworks so the last few days have been difficult on her. She was not jazzed about all the people. It was a bit odd since she did so well for Pam at the Dam Run. After I went by, Bert took her home. I finished in an unofficial 57:50. i went to M but was miserable, so I went and met Bert and headed home. Took a shower and then Bert and I went back out to 10th st to cheer people on.

We left around 9:45. I was sitting out on the balcony and at 10:15 out of nowhere it started pouring. i got the message about it cancelled but the last coral started at 8:30 so most people finished.

the fun part will be tonight with a scared whisky. She is even afraid to go outside. I hope she gets over that soon. Though at 5:30 this morning walking to the train she was good. I guess less noise.
Poor Whisky! I’m sorry we missed you, but glad you got her away from the scary stuff.

I was also disappointed about the flyover. I always look forward to it.

We hung around the member party for a good while, then left the park about 10:00. The downpour happened as we were walking back to DH’s office (where we were parked). Despite already being good and soaked, I MIGHT have complained about it. We were able to get showered and changed there, and had a nice lunch before heading home. I didn’t realize the race had been black-flagged until I checked my phone much later.

I still don’t understand how the leader in the women’s race could have followed the motorcycle off course, even after watching the video. How awful!

When we left the house at 4:30 this morning, our dog, Barney, was pretty sure that we were headed to Disney (he’s only been with us since December, and has noticed a pattern already!). He tried to get in the car, and was very disappointed when he had to stay home.

Happy 4th!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter