The Running Thread—2023

I'm sorry, that sucks. Prednisone puts weight on, I hear. Hoping you are near the end of this particular journey. Yeah I'd lose my mind if I couldn't run for a significant period of time so I understand completely.
Some might argue that the losing-my-mind ship has already sailed....

Went to PT this week. An hour of exercises and stretching, none of which seemed that strenuous, but walking out I was really feeling my hips like never before. So I'll keep doing those each night, and I already have return visits for the next two weeks. It all seems to be my lower back, just manifesting in my legs, and it (should) be a relatively straight forward recovery. Keep fingers crossed and on the prayer list.

I thought that you might find this article interesting. The authors note that there is conflicting data as it pertains to endurance athletes, but some of their findings lead me to believe that creatine might help runners. Section 3.4 addresses endurance athletes specifically.

They're saying something similar to what I read. Which is some of the biomarkers around running/endurance could be improved with creatine use, but overall output of power/time trial performance is not. Additionally, while the biomakers might have been reduced, the perception of effort level is not. So you may have a lower blood lactate level, but you still can't run any faster or for longer or at a lower perception of effort. That's what leaves it in the unconfirmed practical benefits category. It might help, but recovery seems to be the main benefit for endurance runners.

@Disney at Heart, DH wanted me to ask if y’all are doing the Dirty Spokes race in Hartwell next weekend. He’s thinking about registering for it.
Probably not. We haven’t run trails since pre-Covid. I can vouch that Payne’s Creek is a great trail, though. There are lots of hills, some technical, but it is well maintained and scenic, and at this time of year, it’s good that it is pretty much all shade. Let me know if he decides to sign up; it might encourage us!

Thanks for all the responses to my creatine question. I've decided that I'll still take it daily for now during my training because I already have the container of it. I would rather use it and maybe not get as much benefit instead of saving it in a cabinet for months.

Have the dates for Wine and Dine 2024 been announced? I think they probably won't be until January or so based on what I've seen historically, but I wanted to make sure I am not missing something.

ATTQOTD: I’m not holding up. This is the worst summer I’ve experienced since moving to FL in 2014. I’m beyond over it and have experienced heat exhaustion twice this month doing farm chores. I’ve been on the treadmill except for the few runs at Ft Wilderness earlier this month.

ATTQOTD: It has not been a fun summer of running here. The T+Ds have been stuck in the 150s and 160s for weeks. It's gotten to the point that a Saturday run at a T+D of ~144 actually felt refreshing. I just don't seem to be acclimating like I have in years past. Nothing to be done about it but power through and hope for an early fall.

I'll skew the data....so far so good with summer runs. Our T&D is generally 130-140 when I do my runs at around 7 am. And my marathon training paces (hill repeats excepted) are fine--slower than in previous training cycles (age and mindset on "what am I training to do" account for that) I have not any issues to speak of other than one bad chafing experience and am trying to figure out what I can do to protect "the side of the ball of my (left) foot" that's beginning to let me know it's there.

ATTQOTD: I was lucky. I left for a vacation in Europe when summer started and ran in all cities we visited while avoiding smoke and terrible weather in Canada. I came back just before the temperatures became unbearable in Europe. My current training plan has been toned down to align with the vacation low volume so all is good and enjoyable, thanks coach.

ATTQOTD: Pretty good! I've been running with the purpose of keeping my HR low while also trying not to let my endurance fall. I run very early in the AM so I've escaped the heat most of the time. I've been enjoying taking the summer "off" (as in not be training for a race) but I'm getting antsy to get on a training plan.

ATTQOTD: I almost posted here yesterday morning that I woke up at 5AM to run my 11.5 miler in order to escape the heat, and I wanted congratulations. I just got back from Las Vegas where I had no choice but to run on the treadmill, the overnight lows were in the 80s and daytime highs were 115+. After my first run outside once I got back home, I wanted to kiss the ground I was so happy to not be on the treadmill.

All of that to say, being in Nevada gave me an all new appreciation for running in the 80s. Can't wait for those fall temps and I think this is the last time I train for an early fall marathon, with most of the training happening in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter