The Running Thread—2023

Some might argue that the losing-my-mind ship has already sailed....

Went to PT this week. An hour of exercises and stretching, none of which seemed that strenuous, but walking out I was really feeling my hips like never before. So I'll keep doing those each night, and I already have return visits for the next two weeks. It all seems to be my lower back, just manifesting in my legs, and it (should) be a relatively straight forward recovery. Keep fingers crossed and on the prayer list.
PT always gets a lot worse before it gets better, at least for me. Hope things start to turn around soon for you!
QOTD: Hows everyone holding up with your summer runs?
ATTQOTD: Great! Been running at 4-5a so I'm getting my money's worth on my Noxgear. Also burning through my electrolyte mix, but better than being dehydrated.

Running Tip of the Day: Try to finish your 1k repeats at the track before the HS students show up. Then you'll be less inclined to make that last lap--where they were all looking at you coming down the home straight--faster than you should, just so they don't think you're some "old, slow runner"!

What should have been 8:50--and really slower if I factored in T+D--was 8:22. But hey, at least it was the LAST lap. Thank god they didn't show up earlier!

ATTQOTD: NOT marathon/Dopey training in FL summer is freaking AWESOME!!!!! Why haven’t I been doing this every year?! :rotfl: My long runs are 6 miles, which is perfect: I start at sunrise and it’s just starting to get too hot at the point I’m done. Then I spend the rest of the weekend indoors, with all the curtains closed to block heat coming from the 1979 windows. It’s fabulous!

Short runs need to start at 6:15am, which as of today means adding a headlamp for the first mile or so. Our low last night went all the way down to 78: I had actual chills this morning, and there was steam coming off the water hazards on the golf course! The gators looked like they wouldn’t mind a light sweater.

What I’m saying is… it’s “special.” Here on the Gulf Coast of FLA. :rotfl2:

ATTQOTD: I joined CTP in June and already I have 9 and 10-mile runs on my schedule. I was supposed to do 8 miles Sunday and did 6. I'm willing to wake up at 6am to head out the door by 6:30, and no later, and I'm not guaranteeing I'll get the 9 and 10 mile runs done. Probably something shorter. I do 10K's so I don't have to go that high in mileage. I know why they encourage runners to run beyond the distance, but in the summer I don't wanna :rolleyes1

this summer is the worst of all the ones spent in the Middle East.
I am curious where about the middle east you are? My family is from Lebanon (I live in Michigan) but my parents often speak of the mild and lovely summers back home. Sounds like it's not the case this year!

ATTQOTD: I live somewhere that is perpetually summer (1 degree north of the Equator). The weather forecast for this week is about 75-90˚F (I hope I have the conversion right as I'm used to Celsius!) which is about the typical weather for the whole year. And it's humid all year round as well!

This means that running outdoors between around 9am-5pm is generally an unpleasant experience. Though occasionally I manage to do so if it happens to be a cooler overcast day - for example last Sunday it had rained around noon and the sky was overcast with no direct sunlight so I managed a run in the park around 3pm.

Otherwise, I'm usually running outdoors in the late afternoons/evenings after 6pm when the sun starts to go down. Though having a treadmill really helps with being able to run at other times of the day.

I'm not familiar with the term T+D though have seen it around here a lot! Is the D dew point?

Thanks! OK in that context... dew point here is apparently 24-25˚ which I guess would translate to 75-77˚F... So with temperatures of 75-90˚F that would be a T+D of 150-165 I guess?

I guess the upside of living somewhere hot and humid is that I am incredibly acclimatised to the hot and humid weather!

ATTQOTD: I almost posted here yesterday morning that I woke up at 5AM to run my 11.5 miler in order to escape the heat, and I wanted congratulations. I just got back from Las Vegas where I had no choice but to run on the treadmill, the overnight lows were in the 80s and daytime highs were 115+. After my first run outside once I got back home, I wanted to kiss the ground I was so happy to not be on the treadmill.

All of that to say, being in Nevada gave me an all new appreciation for running in the 80s. Can't wait for those fall temps and I think this is the last time I train for an early fall marathon, with most of the training happening in the summer.
Curious about the dew points in Las Vegas... 80s F for the temperature and a 40 F dew point = not that bad! Or 80s F and a 70 F dew point = pure misery! :)

I was thinking about that while I'm vacationing in Banff. They have been getting unseasonably hot weather in the mid-80s F...but the new point is mid-40s F (in some cases), so that still comes out to a T+D < 140, which would be much better than what I'd be getting back home in the DC area! (For the record, I'm only hiking in Banff, not running.)

Curious about the dew points in Las Vegas... 80s F for the temperature and a 40 F dew point = not that bad! Or 80s F and a 70 F dew point = pure misery! :)

I was thinking about that while I'm vacationing in Banff. They have been getting unseasonably hot weather in the mid-80s F...but the new point is mid-40s F (in some cases), so that still comes out to a T+D < 140, which would be much better than what I'd be getting back home in the DC area! (For the record, I'm only hiking in Banff, not running.)
Yes it was a very dry heat as they say.... I just looked at the history on Weather Underground for one of the days I was there as an example. I do suppose at the overnight low for that day, at 5AM, the temp was 87 and the dew point was 45... so not terrible when you look at it as a T+D of 135, but I wasn't motivated to get up at 4AM to get out and run in Las Vegas at 5AM to run in almost 90 degree heat for that hour of time. I have no idea whether it is even safe to run at that hour on the streets there. By the time you got to even 9AM it was about 100 degrees and, yeah, I'm just doing the treadmill at that point. 100 degrees is 100 degrees to me no matter how low the dew point, I'd be worried about becoming dehydrated. Even the wind was hot. I have no idea how people tolerate that kind of heat day after day.

My goal is to go sub-4:00 in my “A” race in February. I did threshold mile repeats earlier this morning and I don’t know if I should feel encouraged or discouraged by my current state of fitness as it pertains to potentially achieving my goal. During the runs, I focused on keeping my heart rate below my VT2 (163 bpm). Any thoughts or feedback is certainly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9766.png
    IMG_9766.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
My goal is to go sub-4:00 in my “A” race in February. I did threshold mile repeats earlier this morning and I don’t know if I should feel encouraged or discouraged by my current state of fitness as it pertains to potentially achieving my goal. During the runs, I focused on keeping my heart rate below my VT2 (163 bpm). Any thoughts or feedback is certainly appreciated.
How hot/humid was it during your run and what will temps look like for your goal race? If its very hot during your runs now, but race day it will be 40, then things could work out. I would suggest to continue doing various types of speed work each week. I am also assuming your goal race is a marathon and you are aiming for a 9 min/mile pace. If thats true, I think you are getting close, but a 9 min/mile should be somewhat comfortable pace in the early miles to be able to string 26 of them together. I forget which site has the information, but there are resources online that you can put in your goal race distance and time. It will give you other common race distances like 5k, 10k, 10 miler, 1/2 marathon, and will tell you a pace / time you should be able to run those races at that would require the same type of fitness to run the full at your goal time. It's not a perfect science but it could give you some guidance.

How hot/humid was it during your run and what will temps look like for your goal race? If its very hot during your runs now, but race day it will be 40, then things could work out. I would suggest to continue doing various types of speed work each week. I am also assuming your goal race is a marathon and you are aiming for a 9 min/mile pace. If thats true, I think you are getting close, but a 9 min/mile should be somewhat comfortable pace in the early miles to be able to string 26 of them together. I forget which site has the information, but there are resources online that you can put in your goal race distance and time. It will give you other common race distances like 5k, 10k, 10 miler, 1/2 marathon, and will tell you a pace / time you should be able to run those races at that would require the same type of fitness to run the full at your goal time. It's not a perfect science but it could give you some guidance.
I constantly neglect to note the dew point, but the temperature was 78° with 88% humidity. The race (which is a marathon) is in Fort Lauderdale. If the temperature is the same as this past year, it will be in the mid 60’s.

Can anyone comment on the best All Star Resort to stay at for a race weekend? I might consider a split stay but would like to know if there are some advantages I haven’t thought of.

Last April we stayed at ASMo and were assigned a ground floor room in the Dalmatian section (complete opposite of our request but it was a good thing!). The advantages were: Closest section to the runDisney bus stop (not where the park buses go). Also close to ASMu (often that was the available bus at the park for returning to the resort). We were also very close to the leisure pool which we preferred to the main pool.

Can anyone comment on the best All Star Resort to stay at for a race weekend? I might consider a split stay but would like to know if there are some advantages I haven’t thought of.

Last April we stayed at ASMo and were assigned a ground floor room in the Dalmatian section (complete opposite of our request but it was a good thing!). The advantages were: Closest section to the runDisney bus stop (not where the park buses go). Also close to ASMu (often that was the available bus at the park for returning to the resort). We were also very close to the leisure pool which we preferred to the main pool.
I always preferred Sports, because it was first on/first off the bus. Each resort may have separate buses on the way to the races (and maybe first thing in the morning for parks), but otherwise, Sports gets you off the bus faster.

ETA: It’s been a few years since I’ve stayed there, so it’s possible things have changed.

Probably not. We haven’t run trails since pre-Covid. I can vouch that Payne’s Creek is a great trail, though. There are lots of hills, some technical, but it is well maintained and scenic, and at this time of year, it’s good that it is pretty much all shade. Let me know if he decides to sign up; it might encourage us!
DH registered this morning!

Today was the worst conditions T&D wise that I’ve run in this year. Made it, better than anticipated, but definite Springtime Surprise vibes today !

PSA: “I just want to get some more mileage to make them a better value for what I paid” is a TERRIBLE reason to reach for a running shoe. Just ask my right knee, which has told me clearly before that it does not like a certain shoe, and physically rejected it entirely this morning, a mile into an out and back run. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter