• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

I tried Huma gels because the texture seemed the most palatable to me but I still couldn't choke it down. I have such a mental block to eating gels even while doing nothing, so I know I'd never be able to do it while running. I couldn't do the gummies either. My pickiness and texture issues rearing their ugly heads.

I've been experimenting with Tailwind (not concentrated) for fuel and so far it's worked well for me, but I haven't done any super long runs yet. If I need to supplement with food, I'll use a honey stinger waffle or nutrigrain bar or applesauce pouch, all things I know my stomach can handle as I've eaten them before runs before.

I tried Huma gels because the texture seemed the most palatable to me but I still couldn't choke it down. I have such a mental block to eating gels even while doing nothing, so I know I'd never be able to do it while running. I couldn't do the gummies either. My pickiness and texture issues rearing their ugly heads.

I've been experimenting with Tailwind (not concentrated) for fuel and so far it's worked well for me, but I haven't done any super long runs yet. If I need to supplement with food, I'll use a honey stinger waffle or nutrigrain bar or applesauce pouch, all things I know my stomach can handle as I've eaten them before runs before.
I'm the same way with gels and I use pure honey. It's very easy for me to swallow the honey and I use SaltStick chews to get my electrolytes.

I recently tried YouCan's Edge gels. They are pretty liquidy and go down so easily! I like them so much better compared to Gu. I never tried Huma so not sure how they compare.

Yesterday I went out for my 90 minute run. I was 3 minutes into that run and decided to eat pavement. I have no idea what, if anything, I tripped on. i slightly tried to roll so the left side got the road rash. Skinned up my knee and shoulder. I was laying in the middle of the road in Piedmont Park. The garbage truck was approaching so I scooted off to the side. The garbage men kindly helped me to my feet. Went home to clean up and decided I would try to run Sunday.

when you are older and fall guess what? The next day might be worse. Uff. I did not do any real damage but definitely sore. Decided not to run. Took Whisky for a walk and will do a light elliptical.

I already had a PT appointment scheduled for Monday. Boy will she be surprised when I see her.

Speaking of hydration and such, would my DH be allowed to switch out my bladder during the marathon if I wanted a water refill that wasn't an aid station?

I recently tried YouCan's Edge gels. They are pretty liquidy and go down so easily! I like them so much better compared to Gu. I never tried Huma so not sure how they compare.

I used UCAN for my last two marathon training cycles along with some Huma and really liked it. It is touted as a slower but more sustained uptake than other gels and I have to say my N of 1 agreed with that. They are larger and not as easy to carry if you are trying to run light but I really like them.

Speaking of hydration and such, would my DH be allowed to switch out my bladder during the marathon if I wanted a water refill that wasn't an aid station?

I don't see why not. Technically it is "outside assistance" and while some races either wouldn't allow it or only allow it in specific areas (at aid stations during an ultra) I can't imagine rD cares all that much about it during one of their races. Allowing someone to pay to move up corrals is way less sporting than swapping out a bladder.

He'd need to be somewhere he was allowed to be and you'd need to leave the course, or be over at the side somewhere you weren't hindering spectators, but I think you'll be fine.

We've been lurking...

I (Mrs. PADC) did this race yesterday.

Farm fresh 5K at Miller Plant Farm on August 5, 2023.

I have always wanted to do a run like this through a local farm. This is a Century Farm and we have been members of their CSA since it began in 2011. The race and day-long festival benefits a local cancer charity. I registered the morning of the race.

I knew there would be elevation changes and uneven surfaces, but I really was not prepared for what I experienced in this race. We have not had much rain recently which was good because it meant that this was not a mud run. (I'm sure the farmer would appreciate more rain). From the very beginning the ascent was significant and seemingly unending. The race began with an immediate uphill, then the course leveled out and ran through a cornfield followed by a left-hand turn and an even steeper uphill. Myself, and everyone around me, seemed to be just walking/trudging up this hill until it leveled out again. I looked at my Garmin for the first time: only 0.58 mile?? Then more level running on a beaten, uneven path through a cornfield, downhill through a wooded area, and then uphill to another somewhat level pass through a cornfield. There were more areas of going uphill, running through cornfields, and running through wooded areas. We needed to step over a large tree which had fallen across the path at one point. Or was it placed there intentionally? After a few more turns we emerged from the woods and could see the finish line almost 200 feet below. We finally got to the downhill section which was significant, and I knew I needed to be very careful due to my past knee issues. Towards the end of the race, I slipped a little bit on the gravel when running down the steep hill between the greenhouses. (but did not fall!) My finish time was 40 minutes and 40 seconds. But for me the time does not matter because I think this was the most difficult race I have ever done. When I look at the elevation map, I’m just amazed that I did it. I’m really hoping there are no finish line photos! As you can see from the picture below it was foggy and humid.

Because of when I registered there were no shirts available, however everybody who participated received a bag of produce which consisted of six ears of corn, a melon, an onion, and a tomato. I’m glad I did this race and next time I will make sure I do hill training beforehand!

My elevation:

1691369847181.jpeg

The view from one of highest points. I feel like the picture does not do it justice. The finish line is in front of the building where the black and yellow bounce house/slide is.

1691369638845.jpeg

Thanks for reading!

Yesterday I went out for my 90 minute run. I was 3 minutes into that run and decided to eat pavement. I have no idea what, if anything, I tripped on. i slightly tried to roll so the left side got the road rash. Skinned up my knee and shoulder. I was laying in the middle of the road in Piedmont Park. The garbage truck was approaching so I scooted off to the side. The garbage men kindly helped me to my feet. Went home to clean up and decided I would try to run Sunday.

when you are older and fall guess what? The next day might be worse. Uff. I did not do any real damage but definitely sore. Decided not to run. Took Whisky for a walk and will do a light elliptical.

I already had a PT appointment scheduled for Monday. Boy will she be surprised when I see her.
Hopefully you have a speedy recovery.

I thought I might have spotted the issue when you mentioned taking whiskey (hmm, how much of that does one need to consume with Gu?), but now I'm thinking Whiskey is a dog.
My bad....
;-)

Also glad to hear that the garbage truck guys stopped to help.

OK, hat report before I get back to my day job.

I have an upcoming twilight/night race and didn't think I wanted to mess around with the head lights that I have with elastic straps and such. Since I need to wear a hat anyway, I found this on Amazon for $17
https://www.amazon.com/UltraKey-Rec...back/dp/B01MXFJALG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Ultrakey has a number of different hats available; I went with the least expensive. There are also winter ski-hats with lights built in as well. The one I bought uses a pair of CR2032 batteries. I have no idea how long they will last, but it should be a while.

The hat material is 100% cotton, so not one that you necessarily want to wear in the summer heat as it will get waterlogged with sweat, but for the one race or my upcoming camping trip, it will be fine. To wear for training, just realize that it'll need to dry out afterward. (I hang my running hats out in the garage where the heat of the day dries them out afterward.) They may have polyester hats, I just went with the least expensive since I won't be using it that much.

As for light, it makes *plenty* with its 5 LEDs built into the front of the bill, the placement of which means the bill prevents glare in your eyes. I went outside in the dark last night and confirmed that I throws a nice pool of light appx 10 feet ahead of me. It should be good for a solo run and will certainly work well in a group setting with other people's light adding illumination.
I give it a thumbs up.
YMMV

Most races have rules against receiving aid from spectators. That being said, I think it's a lot like the rule against wearing headphones that most have. Unless you're an elite competing for the win or prize money, nobody cares.

I've complained for years that Gu makes me want to puke after a few of them, but whenever you remind me how much water you are supposed to take in, to absorb those carbs, I realize I never came close to that in a race. I grab 1-2 of the little half-filled dixie cups and that's it, per Gu. No wonder they messed with my stomach after a few hours of taking one every 45 min.

Anyway, I'll try these liquid options, and see how I feel. Running with a hand-held might drive me nuts, even if it does have a strap so I'm not clutching it.
So, I’ve never NOT done this, so I can’t provide any kind of comparison, and my body has no issue with gels, in general, but in case it IS helpful: I run with a handheld and have my app send an alert every 1/2 mile - that’s my signal to sip an ounce or 2 and switch my bottle to the opposite hand. Keeps a steady supply of fluids going in without having to gulp a bunch at once, and evens out the extra one-sided load of the bottle. I take a gel every 45 mins, too, and I eat it in “sips” roughly spread out over 10-15 mins.

I run with a handheld all the time (Florida humidity), and I barely even notice it anymore.
Same. But it is VERY noticeable when it finally gets cool enough that I don’t need fluids for short runs and I run without it - those first few runs I feel like I’ve left a child somewhere, lol!

Tailwind makes handy dandy individual packets. I use those on the race course. I am pretty fast ripping it open while running, dumping in my bottle and filling the bottle at the water stop. I’m also learning that Tailwind is just not enough to keep my hungry tummy happy so I eat Huma gels and drink extra water to absorb them or carry uncrustables. I don’t like anything in my hands while running so I use a belt. The one I use is the UltrAspire. I have the one bottle and two bottle versions and they sit at the small of my back. Nathan makes a similar one, but I found the bottle to be heavier and too stiff pulling in and out of the holder. Chicago says no vests, but there were definitely people using them. I would be too afraid to risk it though.
My hat’s off to anyone who can get those TW single packs open! I never could manage it. BUT I did discover that you can buy tiny little ziplock-like bags that will fit exactly a scoop of TW - I buy TW in the bulk bags and divvy it up into the little bags to pack on long runs.

At WDW? Absolutely! I’ve had friends hand me water, candy, beer, bandaids, soda, a shirt… anywhere spectators are allowed to be, your people can hand you stuff. They just don’t want spectators handing things out in bulk to any runners.

ETA: autocorrect is failing spectacularly today…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter