The Running Thread—2023

Same, was 80F inside yesterday. Going to change out the filters ahead of the 60 day interval and see if it helps.

FWIW last 2 times there was a strong El Nino (97-98, 15-16) the year after was even hotter so we all have something to look forward to!

Anyone else’s garmin a bit wobbly on the mapping today? Mine beeped for mile 2 around 100yrds early today. And my map has me running through people’s backyards.

Quick question for all the long-time runners and any new runners on here: if you're on a running/bike path and someone running in front of you holds up their left arm straight out, what does that mean? To me, it obviously means that the runner is going to turn and if there isn't a fork in the road, it means that the runner is going to turn around and switch directions. My wife just started running (training for the MW 10K) and did not think that this is obvious. I'm curious about other's opinions regarding this signal.

Quick question for all the long-time runners and any new runners on here: if you're on a running/bike path and someone running in front of you holds up their left arm straight out, what does that mean? To me, it obviously means that the runner is going to turn and if there isn't a fork in the road, it means that the runner is going to turn around and switch directions. My wife just started running (training for the MW 10K) and did not think that this is obvious. I'm curious about other's opinions regarding this signal.
I’ve never seen that or thought about it. When I do my turn-arounds, I just look to make sure no one is coming in either direction.

I do sometimes indicate I’m going to be turning onto a road when I’m running on the roads and there’s a car at an intersection, just so they know can go ahead and turn without waiting for me to cross in front of them (because I won’t need to cross in front of them)

Like @Kerry1957 i would take this to mean they’re about to change their direction of travel, or maybe they’re pointing out something interesting?

Yep. A point left means they are about to move left. Could be a turn, turn around, moving to avoid something in the path ahead,anything. They should also look and not just assume the pointing gives them a clear path but the pointing seems kind of obvious to me and reminds me of learning to signal while biking as a kid.

Last edited:
Anyone else’s garmin a bit wobbly on the mapping today? Mine beeped for mile 2 around 100yrds early today. And my map has me running through people’s backyards.
Mine has been accurate with mapping. My HR has been all over the place, though. I can do a very easy run and it returns an HR of 160. I can do a harder run and I get an HR of 138. There is no consistency.

Mine has been accurate with mapping. My HR has been all over the place, though. I can do a very easy run and it returns an HR of 160. I can do a harder run and I get an HR of 138. There is no consistency.
It seems to be consistently inconsistent.

Are you using an optical wrist HR sensor or chest strap? If it is the former it will be much less accurate especially if it is an older unit, you are darker skinned, or have any hair, freckles, etc near the sensor.

Are you using an optical wrist HR sensor or chest strap? If it is the former it will be much less accurate especially if it is an older unit, you are darker skinned, or have any hair, freckles, etc near the sensor.
I use a Garmin Forerunner 235, with only the wrist monitor. It was very consistent for the first few years I had it, but since late in 2022 it has been much less consistent. I have cleaned it, done all software upgrades and reset the device, per Garmin's suggestion. But none of it seems to help.

I use a Garmin Forerunner 235, with only the wrist monitor. It was very consistent for the first few years I had it, but since late in 2022 it has been much less consistent. I have cleaned it, done all software upgrades and reset the device, per Garmin's suggestion. But none of it seems to help.
Are you letting it lock onto your heartbeat prior to starting your run? The heart icon will flash while it's trying and go solid to indicate a lock. The Forerunner 235 is very prone to "cadence lock" if it doesn't have a solid lock onto the actual heartbeat prior to the run. The 160 average for an easy run sure sounds a lot like a cadence lock. Maybe it's having trouble getting a lock as it's getting older?

I agree with your take on it. Left turn or turning around to the left.

I always use 'runner turn signals/brake lights. It never hurts to let other runners and more importantly drivers know your intentions.

Are you letting it lock onto your heartbeat prior to starting your run? The heart icon will flash while it's trying and go solid to indicate a lock. The Forerunner 235 is very prone to "cadence lock" if it doesn't have a solid lock onto the actual heartbeat prior to the run. The 160 average for an easy run sure sounds a lot like a cadence lock. Maybe it's having trouble getting a lock as it's getting older?
I usually walk .10 to .20 before starting my run, so I am assuming it is getting locked on my heartbeat, but I'll double check that tomorrow.

Cadence lock seems to be the most likely issue. But it sounds like there aren't really any solutions?

I usually walk .10 to .20 before starting my run, so I am assuming it is getting locked on my heartbeat, but I'll double check that tomorrow.

Cadence lock seems to be the most likely issue. But it sounds like there aren't really any solutions?
You just have to wait for that solid icon on the heart. It can definitely be annoying standing around waiting to start because of it.

I've been running for 15+ years and have never seen a runner do this. My first instinct would be that they were pointing at something, perhaps warning others of a snake off to the left.

I know there are bike hand signals but I can never remember them. It's definitely not obvious.

Yep. A point left means they are about to move left. Could be a turn, turn around, moving to avoid something in the path ahead,anything. They should also look and not just assume the pointing gives them a clear path but the pointing seems kind of obvious to me and reminds me of learning to signal while biking as a kid.
I don't think I've ever seen a runner on a walking/biking path give turn signals. I just wish that BIKERS on walking/biking paths would give singles AND actually look.

I don't run on roads, thank goodness. If I did run on a road, I would probably stop and check traffic both ways and then turn (if I was crossing the road in my turn), but honestly I probably wouldn't signal it because of the stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter