The Running Thread—2023

Not so shockingly, I'm behind on my monthly recap again.

Let's talk August - kids finally back to school, more time for me! haha! My 9yo fell playing tag on the cement basketball court at school on the first day during recess, breaking both bones in her lower left arm (including a compound fracture of one that broke through her skin). That resulted in a visit to the "big city" children's hospital and an overnight stay and me driving her to/from school every day so far.

Gross but cool fact - her lower arm looked like Harry Potter's arm when Lockhart removes all the bones from it. It was not a natural angle. I took a picture of the x-ray but I sort of wish I had taken a picture of her actual arm before it was casted.

Anyway, so I missed a few runs and ran some shorter ones than "planned." Also, I really need to start training for a November half, but I'm probably just going to run it for fun and get up to 10/12 miles on the weekend at some point and call myself trained.

August Running Totals
Miles: 78.44
Time: 13:23:47
Average HR: 144
Average Pace: 10:17

Walking with the dog
Miles: 4.36
Time: 1:20:54

Swimming
Swims: 1
Distance: 600 yards

Let's talk August - kids finally back to school, more time for me! haha! My 9yo fell playing tag on the cement basketball court at school on the first day during recess, breaking both bones in her lower left arm (including a compound fracture of one that broke through her skin). That resulted in a visit to the "big city" children's hospital and an overnight stay and me driving her to/from school every day so far.

:grouphug: Oh no poor kiddo!

Not so shockingly, I'm behind on my monthly recap again.

Gross but cool fact - her lower arm looked like Harry Potter's arm when Lockhart removes all the bones from it. It was not a natural angle. I took a picture of the x-ray but I sort of wish I had taken a picture of her actual arm before it was casted.

Anyway, so I missed a few runs and ran some shorter ones than "planned." Also, I really need to start training for a November half, but I'm probably just going to run it for fun and get up to 10/12 miles on the weekend at some point and call myself trained.

August Running Totals
Miles: 78.44
Time: 13:23:47
Average HR: 144
Average Pace: 10:17

Walking with the dog
Miles: 4.36
Time: 1:20:54

Swimming
Swims: 1
Distance: 600 yards
OMG that sounds like quite a first day of school. I hope all mends well.

After a low mileage July - August was back at it.

Granted in July we spent 10 nights in Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota doing the national parks, with an average of 13k steps a day and drove 2200 miles. Can't say enough great things about Tetons and Yellowstone but no running. We did bike one day

August was 83 miles running in some officially stupid hot weather and 279 miles of biking.

Decided to incorporate more formal rest next year as my soon to be 56 year body needs it

After a low mileage July - August was back at it.

Granted in July we spent 10 nights in Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota doing the national parks, with an average of 13k steps a day and drove 2200 miles. Can't say enough great things about Tetons and Yellowstone but no running. We did bike one day

August was 83 miles running in some officially stupid hot weather and 279 miles of biking.

Decided to incorporate more formal rest next year as my soon to be 56 year body needs it
My sons and I spent a week in Yellowstone and with a visit to the Tetons. I could easily spend another week in Yellowstone and hope to do so in the future.

I have the leg pain due to the pinched nerve under control, thanks to PT and now knowing what stretches and exercises I need to do.
But now...
I keep calling it Morton's neuropathy, but it is actually Morton's neuroma. <sigh>
Either way, it hurts like a son of a gun. Worse, it comes and goes, and my foot can feel fine all day and then be in pain with each foot strike if I attempt a run. And I'm worried that if I try to mitigate it during a run, that I'll alter my pronation and cause a long-term issue. So, ice, motrin, and...
I just went to the running store tonight and came home with a new pair of Hokas to see how they do, and a pair of Cloudsurfers to wear for walking around the house when I'm not running.
If I can get the foot in control, I think I'm good for the next 4 months.
I can say I had a nice 3.84 mile run at a 10:33 pace yesterday. Why that distance? Because it was right at 40 minutes when I got back to the house. And before anyone starts doing any math, it was actually 40:34 because I didn't immediately stop my watch.
(Said with the full realization that I'm usually the one doing the math....)

Thanks for reading.

I have the leg pain due to the pinched nerve under control, thanks to PT and now knowing what stretches and exercises I need to do.
But now...
I keep calling it Morton's neuropathy, but it is actually Morton's neuroma. <sigh>
Either way, it hurts like a son of a gun. Worse, it comes and goes, and my foot can feel fine all day and then be in pain with each foot strike if I attempt a run. And I'm worried that if I try to mitigate it during a run, that I'll alter my pronation and cause a long-term issue.
I feel like you and I are on similar journeys. My scoliosis is squishing the heck out of my lower spine, which is pinching nerves, which is causing all sorts of issues down my right side. I finally got the hip pain under control, but the PT for that aggravated an old meniscus injury on the same leg, AND I suddenly started having plantar fasciitis pain - something I’ve never dealt with in my 50+ years! Through trial and error, I’ve ID’d and eliminated or modified the PT exercises causing issues, and found that for now, anyway, I need a more stable shoe than I’ve been using for the past couple years. BUT, if I so much as look at actual stability shoes, my IT Bands tighten painfully! So the point of all this is that I’ve been trying the Hoka Mach 5 recently and it seems to be helping in all areas. I‘ve never been able to use Hoka in the past due to fit issues and/or too much stack, but this one feels a lot less Hoka-y to me, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I see you and your frustration and validate it - the struggle is so real! I hope the Hokas help you.

Just an update on my hip pain: Orthopedist said 1) That's not your hip, it's the top of your pelvis and 2) That's the top of your IT band rubbing on said pelvis and getting irritated. Plan is to continue to take ibuprofen and see a PT, but I can run as much as I can tolerate and still run Chicago.
Thanks to everyone who advised me to see someone, I am so relieved to know I'm (probably) not going to hurt myself more if I run on it, and to have a plan moving forward. IT band I can live with, I've had that before.

Just an update on my hip pain: Orthopedist said 1) That's not your hip, it's the top of your pelvis and 2) That's the top of your IT band rubbing on said pelvis and getting irritated. Plan is to continue to take ibuprofen and see a PT, but I can run as much as I can tolerate and still run Chicago.
Thanks to everyone who advised me to see someone, I am so relieved to know I'm (probably) not going to hurt myself more if I run on it, and to have a plan moving forward. IT band I can live with, I've had that before.
It's good to hear that you have some answers and a plan to move forward. Have you considered utilizing run-walk for Chicago? I wish you the best of luck in this adventure and hope that you feel better soon!

It's good to hear that you have some answers and a plan to move forward. Have you considered utilizing run-walk for Chicago? I wish you the best of luck in this adventure and hope that you feel better soon!
Oh yes I have definitely considered that. I have been doing run/walk pretty much since the injury. Plan right now is to see if I can stretch out the run part of the run/walk and build back up to pure running, but if I can't, I don't have a problem trying out intervals in the race. No idea how well that is received by surrounding athletes in a race outside of Disney.

Oh yes I have definitely considered that. I have been doing run/walk pretty much since the injury. Plan right now is to see if I can stretch out the run part of the run/walk and build back up to pure running, but if I can't, I don't have a problem trying out intervals in the race. No idea how well that is received by surrounding athletes in a race outside of Disney.
I'm a middle-to-back of the packer depending on the distance, and at both RnR Vegas and the local races I did in Salt Lake, there were plenty of run/walkers. Maybe not as big a ratio as at Disney, but still enough that I didn't feel self conscious about it.

I'm a middle-to-back of the packer depending on the distance, and at both RnR Vegas and the local races I did in Salt Lake, there were plenty of run/walkers. Maybe not as big a ratio as at Disney, but still enough that I didn't feel self conscious about it.
Awesome. I think they said they expect about 45,000 runners, there have to be some Galloway folks in there.

Awesome. I think they said they expect about 45,000 runners, there have to be some Galloway folks in there.
You might think about reaching out to Galloway. I know that one of the pacers, Chris Turner, led a Galloway-style run/walk pace group for the London Marathon. He was on the Rise and Run podcast and mentioned this in one of the episodes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter