The Running Thread—2023

Anyone else get into the NYC Half on March 17? Of course, the news comes as I'm feeling pretty low about my training, but I'm still super excited! Has anyone here run it before? I can't find anything about a time limit and now I'm a little worried that I'm not fast enough.

I want to say 3 hours? But I might be wrong. Last time I did it I ran in 2:50ish and I was far from the last one to finish (at that point in time I may have had an NYRR pace that put me not in the last corral so that helped).
Fair warning - it will be cold. Yes, in March. That race is always freezing.

View attachment 814674

A decent month post Wine and Dine. Ended up missing two regular 5 mile runs due to what I will only describe as an epic archery hunting season but hit all the long runs including a recent 20 miles that left me feeling ready for Dopey. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and is doing well in training.

As a former hunter (I gave it up after I had kids and decided that if I was going to spend hours outside, I'd rather be running) and a wife of a die-hard hunter, I need to know what your epic archery hunting season entailed!

Ended up missing two regular 5 mile runs due to what I will only describe as an epic archery hunting season.
DETAILS!
As a former hunter (I gave it up after I had kids and decided that if I was going to spend hours outside, I'd rather be running) and a wife of a die-hard hunter, I need to know what your epic archery hunting season entailed!
Another die-hard hunter who's hunting was derailed by all of the children. I'm lucky if I get out 3 or 4 times a year now.

I went waaaay down the rabbit hole on western state elk hunting last winter and DH and I may cough up the big money for a guided hunt in a few years, while we are still young and fit enough to handle mountains. But the money-hoarder in my wants to DIY it (if we could even manage to get an out-of-state tag.)

November Miles = 110

There was no way I could top my fellow Dis’ers awesome NYC Marathon recaps, so I did not bother. I will just sum it up by saying it was an amazing experience running the largest race in the world in the world’s most amazing city. I had a great time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

As for November, with my planned taper down before NYC then some time off to recover in Disney, then a reverse taper to start preparing for Dopey, I accepted the fact that my 100 miles per month streak was probably in jeopardy. It didn’t help that I came down with what I believed to be my third bought with Covid (I had no tests with me, no car to get tests and frankly, I didn’t care anyway) when I was down in Florida. Symptoms were exactly the same as the other two times I had it. Luckily, like before, I was only sick for a few days and was able to start my reverse taper as planned. I crossed 100 miles earlier this week so the monthly run streak is still alive at 69 months.

Next up is hitting a few more soul crushing long training runs in December and then it is on to Dopey 2024!!

January Miles = 113
February Miles = 113
March Miles = 116
April Miles = 115
May Miles = 123
June Miles = 112
July Miles = 119
August Miles = 136
September = 152
October = 154

2023 Total = 1,363

Last edited:

November Miles = 110

There was no way I could top my fellow Dis’ers awesome NYC Marathon recaps, so I did not bother. I will just sum it up by saying it was an amazing experience running the largest race in the world in the world’s most amazing city. I had a great time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

As for November, with my planned taper down before NYC then some time off to recover in Disney, then a reverse taper to start preparing for Dopey, I accepted the fact that my 100 miles per month streak was probably in jeopardy. It didn’t help that I came down with what I believed to be my third bought with Covid (I had no tests with me, no car to get tests and frankly, I didn’t care anyway) when I was down in Florida. Symptoms were exactly the same as the other two times I had it. Luckily, like before, I was only sick for a few days and was able to start my reverse taper as planned. I crossed 100 miles earlier this week so the monthly run streak is still alive at 69 months.

Next up is hitting a few more soul crushing long training runs in December and then it is on to Dopey 2024!!

January Miles = 113
February Miles = 113
March Miles = 116
April Miles = 115
May Miles = 123
June Miles = 112
July Miles = 119
August Miles = 136
September = 152
October = 154

2023 Total = 1,363
Kudos on a good race and all the training miles.
Bummer about the Covid. I hear you on the symptoms. All I have to do is say I have a bad sinus headache and the wife starts with the side-eye.

November 2023

Running: 24h 6m/152.1 miles
Strength/mobility: 4h 9m
Aqua jogging: 40m
Indoor cycling: 1h
Total: 29h 56m

About 30 miles short of planned due to a poorly timed Achilles strain, but I still managed a very satisfying PR at the Space Coast Marathon on Sunday! (recap)

And now I am happily doing nothing more strenuous than walking the dog 😂

Last edited:
November 2023 totals
Distance: 122.8km (76mi)
Average pace: 6m49s/km (10:58/mi)
YTD: 1906km on 2023km

The highlight of the month was the NYC Marathon which I described previously 🗽🍎

The recovery was also fairly pleasant with runs just for the pleasure of running.

I got Shokz OpenRun Pro and like them for the office and for running so far.

Let’s say, theoretically, that someone is having a calf issue. And it was fine for treadmill runs, but for 2 cross training events, their calf has basically locked up, and then tonight, it happened 15min into a 2hr event. And now they can’t fully flex their foot because said calf is clenched. Theoretically, of course. And none of the usual calf stretches are/feel like they are doing anything.
😬😬😬

(And PT requires a pcp visit, a referral, and then probably a 2 week wait to get on the schedule)

Let’s say, theoretically, that someone is having a calf issue. And it was fine for treadmill runs, but for 2 cross training events, their calf has basically locked up, and then tonight, it happened 15min into a 2hr event. And now they can’t fully flex their foot because said calf is clenched. Theoretically, of course. And none of the usual calf stretches are/feel like they are doing anything.
😬😬😬

(And PT requires a pcp visit, a referral, and then probably a 2 week wait to get on the schedule)
That sucks - and how annoying to have to go through all that to see a PT! Did you try a heating pad to see if that might relax it? And/or maybe some Tylenol or Advil? (Not a long-term solution, obviously, but temporarily functional would be a start.)

November Running:

Total Distance: 84.8 miles
Average Pace: 11:02 / mile

Ran the Philadelphia Half Marathon on 11/18. I didn't write a race report because it was just meh. The first time in a long time, maybe ever? that I felt like I would have rathered stay in bed than run the race. I was not into it at all. I don't know if I still have post-marathon blahs after Chicago or what. I took it slow, almost 20 min slower than my PB at this race a year ago, but honestly I don't know if I could have gone much faster. Mentally definitely not. It's a good thing I signed up for the Disneyland Half and Princess Half so I am forced to keep training. Otherwise I really don't know if I would be running right now. Just going to keep faking it til I make it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter