• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

Oh yay, a running thread! I've just started running again this past year. I ran quite a bit in high school, but gained a lot of weight in later years...150 lbs lost now and I'm back on the road :lovestruc my only planned races (so far) for this year are as follows, although more will be added as we get deeper into 2016:

Dashofsunshine - Nashville St Patty's Day Kegs & Eggs 5k - 3/19/2016 - n/a - n/a
Dashofsunshine - Wicked Wine Run 5k - 4/30/2016 - n/a - n/a

I said "n/a" since my goal right now isn't really speed so much as just finishing and feeling good about the races. I'll be adding some 10k's closer to the fall and working more on speed, as my ultimate goal is to run the Princess half marathon next February. It has been on my bucket list for about 5 years now, but at 323 lbs I wasn't running anything. So now, I can! :o cheers!

QOTD: What race is on your bucket list?

Right now I only have Dopey on my bucket list. Seeing as that will be either my first or second marathon, depending on if I decide to do TC Marathon or not, I'll wait until I figure out if I like running the longer distances before establishing any form of bucket list.

I love this idea. @FFigawi I agree that all events should be listed. I will be adding my triathlons.

SunDial - Disney Princess 10K 2/20/16, no time
SunDial - Disney Princess Half Marathon, 2/21/16, no time
SunDial - Excalibur 10 miler, 3/20/16, 1:50
SunDial - Disney Star Wars Dark Side 10K, 4/16/16, no time
SunDial - Disney Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon, 4/17/16, 2:45
SunDial - Loggerhead Sprint Triathlon, Date TBD
SunDial - Ironman 70.3 Miami, 10/23/16, Upright and breathing (not signed up yet)

Anything else as in local 5K's will be made up as friends want to run. These are the main ones for me.

FFigawi - Marathon du Medoc - 9/10/16 - Standing up

:rotfl:

As for bucket list races, I'd like to do NYC and Chicago as a time-qualifier. Plus, I'd actually like to do Boston. I qualified and signed up for 2015, but ended up missing it due to work. I'm qualified again for 2017, so hopefully there are no SNAFUs this time!

ATTQOTD: Marine Corps Marathon is one I would like to do when the kid/kids are a little older to enjoy all the area has to offer. So its a ways off for the time being.

Marine Corps is the next one on my bucket list. I really want to qualify for Boston but based on some back of the envelope stuff today it looks like my best odds for that are qualifying at the end of 2016 meaning I don't get to run it till 2018.

Other than Boston, I would really like to do the London Marathon. Given the lottery odds sit at 6.9% right now (17,000 people entered from ~247,069 entries for 2016), I'd say it'll happen sometime in the next 14.5 years. :eek: I will start entering the lottery starting with London 2017.
The London Marathon store is across the street from my companies offices in London. I like to pop in there when I'm over working. It looks like a really neat run to do.

As of this post I believe I got everyone that listed a race on the main list. The list still doesn't appear perfect on a cell phone, but the new set up makes it a little easier on the eyes. Looking forward to some of the race dates to see how everyone does! Hitting a goal and/or PR will get a extra little something next to your race.

Yeah, I think the only things I'm missing at this point are making sure I get registered for everything I want for Disneyland, followed by (maybe) NYC Marathon and then St. Jude in December.

Great topic! Envious of the great Disney and other races some of you have lined up already!
Not going to be running nearly as many events as last year but have 2 scheduled so far:

4/2/16 Hot Chocolate 15k (Philly)
4/3/16 April Fool's Half (Atlantic City)

Hope to add more later!

ATTQOTD: Marine Corps Marathon is one I would like to do when the kid/kids are a little older to enjoy all the area has to offer. So its a ways off for the time being.
My bucket list races are all Disney for the most part but I think running Chicago would be cool as well since its near by.

WDW Marathon/Dopey Challenge
Chicago Marathon
Star Wars Half Marathon (either coast)
Disneyland Half
Tinker bell Half (Only because its during my birthday weekend usually)

I love this thread idea too! Currently I only have one race on my schedule that I'm actually registered for (but a few more I'm strongly considering)

6/11/16 - Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon (Milwaukee) - no goal time really

Other races I'm considering are the Milwaukee Brewers "Mini-Marathon" (a half) in September (I did the 10K last year and loved it), the Hot Chocolate 15K in Chicago in October, and the Milwaukee Running Festival Half Marathon in November. I hope to do at least a couple of these.

I love this thread idea too! Currently I only have one race on my schedule that I'm actually registered for (but a few more I'm strongly considering)

Other races I'm considering are the Milwaukee Brewers "Mini-Marathon" (a half) in September (I did the 10K last year and loved it), the Hot Chocolate 15K in Chicago in October, and the Milwaukee Running Festival Half Marathon in November. I hope to do at least a couple of these.
I am considering the Brewers half too!

I am considering the Brewers half too!

If you're looking for a cheap half marathon, South Shore Half Marathon in Milwaukee on 4/2/16 is a good budget option (only $18!) No medal, no shirt and only 4 aid stations though. It was a decent race for $18 (I ran it last year). Just check out badger land striders for info.

Glad you like the idea. I had to do a double take on the race in June to see if it was a simple type, but was surprised to find out that it wasn't. Whenever you decide on the other races just post it and I will get it on the list. You are also the first and only June race, so all of us in the south with 90+ heat will be jealous of a summer half marathon.

Glad you like the idea. I had to do a double take on the race in June to see if it was a simple type, but was surprised to find out that it wasn't. Whenever you decide on the other races just post it and I will get it on the list. You are also the first and only June race, so all of us in the south with 90+ heat will be jealous of a summer half marathon.
I'm sorry, but I'm having a stupid moment and don't realize what you meant by that bolded part. Did you think the date was a typo and you had to look it up?

If you're looking for a cheap half marathon, South Shore Half Marathon in Milwaukee on 4/2/16 is a good budget option (only $18!) No medal, no shirt and only 4 aid stations though. It was a decent race for $18 (I ran it last year). Just check out badger land striders for info.
I'll keep that in mind for the future. Not really a good option for this year though since I'll be in WDW for Spring Break and will be coming home on the night of April 1st. Not too sure that a half marathon after a week walking around WDW is a good idea!

I'm sorry, but I'm having a stupid moment and don't realize what you meant by that bolded part. Did you think the date was a typo and you had to look it up?
I originally read it as Rock N Roll half marathon. So when I looked again and saw what you had I had to do a double take. Just similar names I guess, but not that similar. What's the weather like that time of year?

I originally read it as Rock N Roll half marathon. So when I looked again and saw what you had I had to do a double take. Just similar names I guess, but not that similar. What's the weather like that time of year?
As with pretty much anywhere, it can vary, but 70s are typical average highs for June. I did the quarter marathon as part of the same event last year and I can't remember the temperature, but it was a bit cool and drizzly that morning. I remember that I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and while I'm sure I rolled up the sleeves for at least part of the time, I was comfortable in that.

This is a tough one. My only racing bucket list has been to complete a marathon, any marathon, at some point. Now that I've done that, I'm at a little bit of a loss as to where to go from here.

I'd definitely like to do another marathon or complete the Dopey, but I'm not sure they rise to the level of bucket list items, at this point.

I think I'm suffering from a bit of a hangover from Marathon Weekend right now. It was my first Disney race as well as my first marathon and the rush was phenomenal. Back to reality is a bit of a downer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter