The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Setting up my race schedule for the year is a multi-step process:

Step 1. Identify a spring and fall goal race with their attendant goals. For this year:

Spring- Badwater Cape Fear 50k/50m, finish one or both distances
Fall- Chicago Marathon, finish sub-4:00

Step 2. Build my training plan for the year. Usually @DopeyBadger plans at this point with Higdon elements thrown in between plans for maintenance.

Step 3. Look for races that look fun and correspond with appropriate long run weekends in the training plan. Run those at training paces.

If there are any compelling races that don't fit well with the training plan, I will occasionally alter the plan to accommodate them. But it's got to be something special for that to happen.

I feel like this approach helps me stay focused on my goals and avoids over saturating my schedule with races that would inhibit meeting my overall goals.

ATTQOTD: We try to plan 1 rD event each year, then I just plan my races around my husband’s. For example, when he does Badwater Cape Fear, I’m going to drive up the road and run Wrightsville Beach Half (which I think I need to add to the first page!). It definitely helps keep me occupied when he’s doing longer distances.

@LSUlakes I have 2 races to add. Thanks!:

March
17 - apdebord - Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon (NG/NA)

May
20 - apdebord - Marine Corps Historic Half (NG/NA)

ATTQOTD: I pick my goal races, spring and fall. Then I have my usual local races I do every year. And then there's always a spontaneous race or two that friends will talk me into or that we're lured by the bling/swag. I'm also liking the runcation idea more and more too, but I've already got that one down with Dopey for this year.

ATTQOTD: My usual race schedule was one runDisney event a year. I scheduled two last year to get my C2C, but ended up doing three of them so I could do the last DL race. This year, my husband asked if I could not do a runDisney race, so I made a schedule that was probably more expensive than any Disney trip could be. OOPS. I went in guns blazing and just looked at any races that were either a) interesting, b) in a desirable location to visit for a weekend, c) local, d) bucket list worthy. Will I run everything on my schedule for this year? NOPE. But I have a building list of races that I have found and can postpone them to a year that works for me. While racing and PRing are fun, I enjoy the race for the race itself (and the medal). I do wish that I had running friends though. I get lonely always running alone.

@LSUlakes

My race schedule so far:

March
24 - MissLiss279 - Go Girl Run OKC Half Marathon (2:05/NA)

April
20 - MissLiss279 - Star Wars DS 5k (NG/NA)
21 - MissLiss279 - Star Wars DS 10k (NG/NA)
22 - MissLiss279 - Star Wars DS Half Marathon (NG/NA)

May
19 - MissLiss279 - Fargo Marathon (4:25:00/NA)

October
21 - MissLiss279 - Columbia Gorge Marathon (NG/NA)

QOTD: Todays question is a suggestion from a follow poster on this thread. Thanks for the suggestion! How do you determine your race schedule for the year?

ATTQOTD: I usually pick one big goal race, and then pick a few runs here and there that fall into my training plan. For example, this year my big race is going to be the WDW Marathon in January 2019. I need a POT race, so I added a half in March. After that race I may do a spring 10k or 5k, but the summer will be all about building up my mileage in preparations for marathon training starting in September. In the fall I may add one or two half marathons if the mileage and intensity somewhat match my long run for that day. It's very unlikely that I run any 5k's or 10k's during this period because I would have to sacrifice a long run for it, and more times than not, it just isnt worth the set back.

It depends on the year. If my big race for the year includes a Disney race everything will revolve around that so I can get in a POT race. But I do the BAA 10k every year because it is such an awesome race. It's in June, it's usually my first race of the year. Then everything falls into place. No Disney races for me probably until Star Wars opens, I just don't think they are worth the expense as much anymore with the quality slipping. So this year I will do BAA and then maybe another 10K in the fall and my goal is the Smuttynose 1/2 marathon in October if I am injury free and able. If something else pops up along the way I'll sign up.

QOTD: Todays question is a suggestion from a follow poster on this thread. Thanks for the suggestion! How do you determine your race schedule for the year?

ATTQOTD: I have never really planned. I just signed up and hoped for the best. This year I'm going to do it differently. I want to be better trained and improve my time with each race. DopeyBadger made a training plan for me for the DS half in hopes of improving my time. I'd like to run another half in the fall at an even faster time then it's time to train for the 2019 WDW marathon.

The problem with 2018 is that that event is already over for me! When your RunDisney event is over on the 7th day of the year, you have a LONG YEAR OF JEALOUS YEARNING AHEAD OF YOURSELF.
This is very true! Our one this year is Princess and then marathon next year:oops:

ATTQOTD: Race schedule... umm that is something I am trying to learn how to do. This year I added the Hot Chocolate 15K in January because it was a good training run/check-in for Fairytale Challenge. I am going to find either a 10 miler or a half to run in the fall to keep me running through the summer. It's hot in Texas and I need motivation. I originally started running to get healthier and had to dangle a carrot in front of it because I didn't like running which was how I started doing Disney races. I'd like to do one a year, but am not sure I can keep justifying the expense. Then again the halfs in my area run around $100-$125 anyway...

ATTQOTD: This is perfect timing I was actually just looking at making a schedule the other day.

Years past we lived near DL so it was as many DL races we could fit in.
Last year it was all about training for Dopey and basically all training runs.
This year we will be moving to the east coast and back to the land or running opportunity so the following is the current thinking:

January- Dopey-Done
May-Was to be Tinkerbell for Coast to Coast. Will still train like that will happen but there will be no actual racing
May-June we will be moving. Try to stay active and possibly run at least one mile in every state we stop in as we move across country
July-October back to serious training with races that fit in with training
November- Seacoast Half

Feb- Possibly Princess at WDW. This seems to fit great with Kids new school schedule
March- This will be the A race. Eastern States 20 mile. Running in 3 states in 1 day sounds like so much fun.
April-Dec Training and races that fit with goals of getting back to WDW Marathon 2020

Truly excited at all the race possibilities our future holds

About the icy roads question...
DT0rioCXUAAnX4U.jpg

All traffic SB stopped on the Veterans s/of Hutchison. Crews are chiseling black ice from the roadway.

So much for my belief that that doesn't happen here, lolol!

ATTQOTD: I let rD plan my races for me :)

ATTQOTD: I love planning, so I began thinking about 2018 in 2016... So yeah I have a plan set and may be just a bit anal. :) My goal race is Woodstock 100 in September and I built all my races around the training plan towards that goal. This included attempting an “easy” 100 in July to wrap my head around the distance as Woodstock adds an elevation and technical component that is going to make it more difficult. BTW I am not calling the July race easy, that is how it was described to me. I am sure it will leave me a wimpering mess!

After that I am going to use my deferal from Grand Rapids Marathon as prep towards Dopey 2019. Between these my DD and I will continue to run our seasonal 5Ks; and this year she wants to try a 10K! Going to be a real challenging and awesome year!

It usually starts with the "A" race. For so long that's been, "Qualify for Boston" for me. So for a while that was Spring Marathon, Fall Marathon, and Dopey. I don't do well with races as training runs (haven't been able to trust myself not to go full out). So I tend to only have "A" races on the calendar.

Starting with last year's Spring, I moved away from Spring Marathons to enhance training even further for my Fall Marathon. So last Spring was an entire block of training devoted to 10k training. It paid huge dividends even though I only ended up racing twice at the end of the plan (5k and 10k). So this Spring, I've decided to focus on Half Marathons. I haven't run a HM that hasn't been associated with a challenge since December 2015. So I'm pretty stoked to see what I can do in a HM these days. I knew I wanted to go local so I've got my April and June HMs. The April one will likely have cool conditions, it's compacted gravel (which I'm meh about), but the timeframe between now and then is relatively short to maximize gains. The June one is likely to be brutal hot (I've done the 10k the last two years and they are trying a HM this year) thus unlikely to be peak performance based on conditions, but the timeframe from now to then is better than April. So theres a little pro and con with both.

As for schedule:

Spring 2018 - St Patrick 10k, April HM, June HM
Fall 2018 - Chicago Marathon (BQ)
Winter 2018 - ?

Then, what I do moving forward depends on if the BQ happens in October, but this is the rough "A" sketch.

Spring 2019 - Ann Arbor Marathon (if no BQ) OR Mad City 100k (if BQ happens, but no money) OR Eugene Marathon (if BQ happens, and money)
Fall 2019 - Lakefront Marathon (if no BQ) OR Get a HM NYQ time of 1:21 (if no BQ)

Spring 2020 - Boston Marathon
Fall 2020 - New York Marathon (if get NYQ)

Spring 2021 - London Marathon/Paris Marathon Double (after Boston is complete the lottery process starts for me for every subsequent year) OR Princess 5k/10k with G (she'd be 7 by then) OR Big Sur OR Eugene
Fall 2021 - Maui or Honolulu Marathon OR Marine Corps OR NYC

Spring 2022 - London Marathon/Paris Marathon Double (after Boston is complete the lottery process starts for me for every subsequent year) OR Princess 5k/10k with G (she'd be 8 by then) OR Big Sur OR Eugene
Fall 2022 - Maui or Honolulu Marathon OR Marine Corps OR NYC

And on and on from there.

BQ, then Boston, then NYQ, then New York, then London/Paris double. Then Tokyo, Berlin, Big Five, Athens, Antarctica, Hawaii, Marine Corps....

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I really want to find some more local races specifically a half marathon. I just don’t know many of them in my area. I typically don’t plan my race schedule for a full year. It’s a one at a time thing.

http://badgerlandstriders.org
https://silvercirclesportsevents.com
https://www.racelighthouse.com/events

I haven't committed to any races yet this year. I work some Saturdays throughout the year as well as travel a bit in the summer so it can be difficult to commit right now. My plan is to run 1 race a month if possible starting in April. Why April - hopefully the snow will be gone and warmer temps. For distances, at least 1 5K, 1 10K, and 1 HM. There are so many beautiful races in NE, I feel like I need to make more of an effort to get out there. We shall see what happens. Worst case some get pushed to 2019. I also want to run at least one day while in Ireland this summer.

This year we will be moving to the east coast and back to the land or running opportunity so the following is the current thinking:

January- Dopey-Done
May-Was to be Tinkerbell for Coast to Coast. Will still train like that will happen but there will be no actual racing
May-June we will be moving. Try to stay active and possibly run at least one mile in every state we stop in as we move across country
July-October back to serious training with races that fit in with training
November- Seacoast Half

Feb- Possibly Princess at WDW. This seems to fit great with Kids new school schedule
March- This will be the A race. Eastern States 20 mile. Running in 3 states in 1 day sounds like so much fun.
April-Dec Training and races that fit with goals of getting back to WDW Marathon 2020

Truly excited at all the race possibilities our future holds
Judging by your mention of Seacoast and Eastern States, you must be moving somewhat near where I am... I think there are a few others close to this area, too. :) :wave:

I did Seacoast in 2016... I had a rough race for my own training reasons, but it is a nice race, mostly flat... except where it's not (last mile :))

ATTQOTD: I usually pick one big goal race, and then pick a few runs here and there that fall into my training plan. For example, this year my big race is going to be the WDW Marathon in January 2019. I need a POT race, so I added a half in March. After that race I may do a spring 10k or 5k, but the summer will be all about building up my mileage in preparations for marathon training starting in September. In the fall I may add one or two half marathons if the mileage and intensity somewhat match my long run for that day. It's very unlikely that I run any 5k's or 10k's during this period because I would have to sacrifice a long run for it, and more times than not, it just isnt worth the set back.

I usually pick a goal race and then fill in around it too, but I'm having a hard time doing that this year. I want to do a 70.3 this year, but can't decide on which one. Atlantic City? Maine? Indian Wells? Too many good choices. Until I pick one, everything else which would get filled in around it is on hold.

Judging by your mention of Seacoast and Eastern States, you must be moving somewhat near where I am... I think there are a few others close to this area, too. :) :wave:

I did Seacoast in 2016... I had a rough race for my own training reasons, but it is a nice race, mostly flat... except where it's not (last mile :))

That's good to know, add hills to training. Hubby's new station is the portsmouth/kittery area. So will be looking to live in the vicinity.
Maybe paths might cross:D

That's good to know, add hills to training. Hubby's new station is the portsmouth/kittery area. So will be looking to live in the vicinity.
Maybe paths might cross:D

That is one of my favorite areas ever! I live 30 minutes or so away and my in-laws live in ME so we visit Portsmouth a lot. There are so many nice restaurants and shops in the area as well. MY BIL and SIL are looking for a house in York so I can't wait to go and visit them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter