• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

@aalvis are these muscle spasms? If so, you may want some more electrolytes/salts. Pickles helped me! You can also do nuun or salt tabs etc. Be careful of Gatorade etc since there’s a lot of sugar added. But otherwise rest is a great idea.

December Training Summary
Running duration = 0 hours
Running mileage = 0 miles
Indoor Cycling duration = 26:20 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 365.5 miles (new PR)
21 Day Fix + 80 Day Obsession = 15:38 hours
Total Training Time = 41:58 hours (new PR)

December was the start of a new training journey for me. With running still on the sidelines, I've started a structured strength training plan (80 Day Obsession) in combination with the structured biking routine through TrainerRoad. So my wife and I are up at 4:30 am each morning to get the 80DO workouts in and then when I come home from work in the evening I get on the bike. I hit a new high on biking duration/mileage (26.3 hours and 365.5 miles), as well as a new high on total exercise in a month at 41:58 hours. My previous high was July 2017 when I ran 289 miles in 41:43 hours. So I'm doing my best to end 2018 on a high note and prepare myself as best I can for a successful 2019!

2018 Year End Training Summary
Total Miles Ran: 1,248 miles
Total Time Spent Running: 170:11:32 hours

Total Miles Biked: 1,660 miles (although can't be completely confident in this number)
Total Time Spent Biking: 115:19:15 hours

Total Time Spent Strength Training: 18:48:58 hours + some time here and there that I didn't record on my watch in Spring.

Total Training Duration: 304:19:45 hours

The goal in 2018 was simple: Run a sub-3 hour marathon on October 7th at the Chicago Marathon and thus qualify for the Boston Marathon.

I failed to meet that goal. 2018 is easy to encapsulate in a few words. It was the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

High Points:
-Achieved 5/6 PRs during the 2018 Dopey Challenge in January. I nailed a 5k, 10k, HM, Goofy, and Dopey Challenge PRs on consecutive days. I barely missed the marathon PR by less than 2 min and arguably could have had it had I realized the official mile split clocks were off. After Dopey 2018, I felt on top of the world and was ready for the next challenge.
-I captured my first 1st place AG finish at the Hot2Trot HM in June.
-I captured my first Bronze medal finish (3rd overall) at the Hot2Trot HM in June.
-I wrote and coached 144 training plans in 2018. In 2015, 2016, and 2017 combined I had 141 training plans written. That's all plans and doesn't include re-writes/adjustments of which there were 194 in 2018.
-Completed the Chicago Marathon with DIS friends.
-Found indoor biking to be a suitable replacement low-impact aerobic workout.
-Started doing a more structured and rigorous strength routine.

Low Points:
-Suffered my first major injury with a diagnosed stress fracture in January not long after returning to running post-Dopey.
-Spent much of the spring recovering from the stress fracture.
-Spent much of the Fall/Winter healing from an ankle injury.
-Failed to meet my goal of a sub-3 marathon in Chicago because of all of my injury issues.

2018 represented a significant drop in running mileage. In 2016 and 2017, I ran 2582 and 2500 miles respectively. Those are running training loads I may never see again in my life given how my body has tolerated running recently. I look forward to 2019 where I plan to blaze a new trail for myself through a combination of biking, running, and strength to hopefully still achieve my own personal lofty goals. I'm unlikely to run a marathon in 2019 which would be the first time since 2013 without a marathon. Goodbye 2018 and I look forward to what 2019 has in store for me.

Mini race report: Brazen Almost New Year's Eve 10k

Mini report here, full report in my journal thread after I get a shower.

Goal for today was to beat 1:15:00 and get qualifying PoT for the Star Wars Half.

Result: 1:12:58, 11:46 pace. This is a personal "modern" best for 10k - not as good as my one race 20 years ago, but better than any 10k since.

Wife and younger son also had really good 5k races. My wife wrote her time on the back of her medal, then looked at last year's and realized she beat her time last year by over 15 minutes.

Daughter's 10k was slower than she'd have liked, which happens. She's not training for anything in particular right now.

We aren't doing the New Year's Day races, because we fly to Orlando on the 2nd.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! They have been great!!! After all of that, our original option of going to Punta Cana (Spelling is probably wrong) seems to be back on the table. Once I started putting $$ to the other ideas, cost wise we are looking at about the same. So, DW said if we don't do the island trip now, when will we realistically do it again? So, I am thinking shes leaning towards that idea now. Not my favorite idea, but it's not always about me lol. I think it will be cool to go over there and I am sure I will enjoy it, but I was looking forward to DL for a while! Guess that one may have to wait to the kiddos are older and we make a family trip out of it. Which raises the question, should we do a Disney cruise first or Disneyland? Plenty of time to figure that one out.

In other news, DS got tubes put in yesterday morning. That afternoon it was like watching a whole new kid. According to the Dr his hearing has probably been similar to the way you hear sound under water for the last 2-3 months. As it started to drain he seemed much more responsive to us and very excited in his babbles. Perhaps this would explain why his vocabulary has been limited so far. He understands a lot of things we ask him though. For example, jokingly I told his to throw something away in the trash. We were not near the trash can either. He walked to it, opened it up and dropped it in, then walked back giggling. I was impressed, I know its a simple request, but I did not think he would understand it and then actually do it. Little booger surprises me often.

I also have a cold now :( and feel like garbage. It's all sinus I believe and the worse part is the morning headaches. I hope this sucker clears up prior to marathon weekend. I doubt I am going to get a run in this weekend based on how I am feeling and to be honest... it fits the whole theme of things lol. The good news is I've gotten two 18 milers in, so at least I feel like I can make it through the marathon and if I can get in a few runs between now and then I think I will be ok. I am at peace with whatever time I end up with during marathon weekend. I told DW to not miss FP+ if I am taking to long on the course lol. She enjoyed the comment.

Happy New Year to everyone. Be safe in whatever you are doing over the weekend/holiday and have fun!

DCL is so expensive. As much as I love Disney I just can't justify paying that much for a cruise when other top cruise lines are a fraction of the cost.

I recently started having issues with my calves... I am training for my third half marathon, and have never had calf problems before. It started about two weeks ago. I was doing a 30 min run, and my calves cramped up so bad, I ended up walking the whole time. I thought it was a fluke... that maybe I was dehydrated. But since then, every run but one, I have had issues with my calves. They tighten up to the point where just walking hurts for about a minute after I stop running. Yesterday I was only 1/4 mile into a run and was already in pain. I stopped, stretched, foam rolled, biofreezed, switched shoes, shortened my run intervals, and somehow made it through 5 miles. I don't know what is going on, and it is driving me nuts. Any advice/suggestions?

I would rest a little as well, as previously suggest. I would also really consider the R8 recovery roller. This thing finds tight spots in your calves you never knew you had. I still say it was the best money I have spent on a running accessory ever. You will probably never foam roll again.

December Training Summary
Running duration = 0 hours
Running mileage = 0 miles
Indoor Cycling duration = 26:20 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 365.5 miles (new PR)
21 Day Fix + 80 Day Obsession = 15:38 hours
Total Training Time = 41:58 hours (new PR)

December was the start of a new training journey for me. With running still on the sidelines, I've started a structured strength training plan (80 Day Obsession) in combination with the structured biking routine through TrainerRoad. So my wife and I are up at 4:30 am each morning to get the 80DO workouts in and then when I come home from work in the evening I get on the bike. I hit a new high on biking duration/mileage (26.3 hours and 365.5 miles), as well as a new high on total exercise in a month at 41:58 hours. My previous high was July 2017 when I ran 289 miles in 41:43 hours. So I'm doing my best to end 2018 on a high note and prepare myself as best I can for a successful 2019!

2018 Year End Training Summary
Total Miles Ran: 1,248 miles
Total Time Spent Running: 170:11:32 hours

Total Miles Biked: 1,660 miles (although can't be completely confident in this number)
Total Time Spent Biking: 115:19:15 hours

Total Time Spent Strength Training: 18:48:58 hours + some time here and there that I didn't record on my watch in Spring.

Total Training Duration: 304:19:45 hours

The goal in 2018 was simple: Run a sub-3 hour marathon on October 7th at the Chicago Marathon and thus qualify for the Boston Marathon.

I failed to meet that goal. 2018 is easy to encapsulate in a few words. It was the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

High Points:
-Achieved 5/6 PRs during the 2018 Dopey Challenge in January. I nailed a 5k, 10k, HM, Goofy, and Dopey Challenge PRs on consecutive days. I barely missed the marathon PR by less than 2 min and arguably could have had it had I realized the official mile split clocks were off. After Dopey 2018, I felt on top of the world and was ready for the next challenge.
-I captured my first 1st place AG finish at the Hot2Trot HM in June.
-I captured my first Bronze medal finish (3rd overall) at the Hot2Trot HM in June.
-I wrote and coached 144 training plans in 2018. In 2015, 2016, and 2017 combined I had 141 training plans written. That's all plans and doesn't include re-writes/adjustments of which there were 194 in 2018.
-Completed the Chicago Marathon with DIS friends.
-Found indoor biking to be a suitable replacement low-impact aerobic workout.
-Started doing a more structured and rigorous strength routine.

Low Points:
-Suffered my first major injury with a diagnosed stress fracture in January not long after returning to running post-Dopey.
-Spent much of the spring recovering from the stress fracture.
-Spent much of the Fall/Winter healing from an ankle injury.
-Failed to meet my goal of a sub-3 marathon in Chicago because of all of my injury issues.

2018 represented a significant drop in running mileage. In 2016 and 2017, I ran 2582 and 2500 miles respectively. Those are running training loads I may never see again in my life given how my body has tolerated running recently. I look forward to 2019 where I plan to blaze a new trail for myself through a combination of biking, running, and strength to hopefully still achieve my own personal lofty goals. I'm unlikely to run a marathon in 2019 which would be the first time since 2013 without a marathon. Goodbye 2018 and I look forward to what 2019 has in store for me.

Billy, I know it stinks you can't run. I am in the same boat. I just have to say how impressive it is that you are finding another way to maintain your healthy lifestyle. You are still here supporting other runners and making a difference in their lives with your training plans. I hope you can start running again next year and you eventually get to Boston. :worship:

December Training
Distance: 128.1 miles
Duration: 19:07 hours
Avg Pace: 8:57 min/mile
Avg HR: 139 bpm

Year-End Totals
Distance: 1,472.2 miles
Duration: 229:20 hours
Avg Pace: 9:21 min/mile

I was just getting back into running after several years of sporadic half-marathons using a run/walk strategy and minimal training. At the beginning of the year, my goal was to run 1,000 miles this year and complete my first marathon.

High Points:
- First sub-2:00 half marathon since 2013 at Tacoma City Half Marathon in April.
- 5+ minute half marathon PR (1:34:37) at Poulsbo Half Marathon in September.
- Completed first marathon at Seattle Marathon in November.

2019 Goals:
- Run the year.
- Qualify for Boston.

December Totals:

Running: 158.28 miles
Average Pace: 9:57
Total Elevation Gain: 12,985 ft
Steps: 597,019

I'm pretty happy with December, given that it had lots of family events and doctor's visits to schedule around.

2018 Summary:

1,700.02 miles. Not an accident that it's just over 1700: I saw I was close to beating last year's miles, so I had to beat that. (@KSellers88, I blame you!) Then I saw I was close to 1700, so had to get that. It took a near-Goofy effort to do it.

2018 was a good year for me.

I set a half marathon PR in April. I stayed injury free, other than the usual aches and pains. High mileage despite not having a fall/winter marathon. I was consistent, with 266 running activities. Except for January when I was recovering from RCM and Goofy, there are very few weeks when I didn't get 5 runs in.

I'm so proud of it, I'm posting a picture (the forum equivalent of hanging it on the fridge)

(In case you're not familiar with Garmin Connect: each black dash is a day with a run.)

upload_2018-12-31_11-16-3.png

In a happy accident, tomorrow is new shoe day. I think that is an omen for a great 2019.

December Training
Distance: 192.18 miles
Duration: 26:30:34
Avg Pace: 8:16 min/mile
Avg HR: 144 bpm

Year-End Totals
Distance: 1,644.27 miles
Duration: 232:39:29
Avg Pace: 8:30 min/mile

Really solid month, and feeling real good going into the Houston Aramco Half next month, which has been my A race this cycle.

I recently started having issues with my calves... I am training for my third half marathon, and have never had calf problems before. It started about two weeks ago. I was doing a 30 min run, and my calves cramped up so bad, I ended up walking the whole time. I thought it was a fluke... that maybe I was dehydrated. But since then, every run but one, I have had issues with my calves. They tighten up to the point where just walking hurts for about a minute after I stop running. Yesterday I was only 1/4 mile into a run and was already in pain. I stopped, stretched, foam rolled, biofreezed, switched shoes, shortened my run intervals, and somehow made it through 5 miles. I don't know what is going on, and it is driving me nuts. Any advice/suggestions?

Once you are having pain stretching and foam rolling is just making the problem worse. I was listening to an "ask the coaches" discussion about that on Endurance Planet. You want to proactively foam roll every day and may need to strengthen your calves. That same podcast spends a lot of time on the myths around muscle cramps. It is rarely hydration, lack of stretching, or nutrition that causes muscle cramps, it is asking a muscle to do something it isn't rained for. Adding leg workouts to your endurance regiment is a good place to start. I think the single leg press and split squat are the two to start with.

December total: 64.7 miles

2018 total: 987 miles - That number bugs me! if I would have been paying closer attention, I would have made sure that number was over 1000. :sad2:

I had to take some longer breaks after my spring races and after my fall marathon due to a shin issue, but overall it was a great year of running. Highlights include my first Dopey Challenge and PR's in the half, 25K, and full.

December Total: 142 Miles

This is by far the most miles in a month for me, so I feel really good about that. I remember seeing people's totals over 100 miles on the thread and thinking how insane that sounded. Running is not always easy, but it sure can be rewarding.

Happy New Year to everyone! Enjoy and stay safe tonight!

December miles = 188

November = 173
October = 161
September = 129
August = 174
July = 184
June = 151
May = 156
April = 113
March = 99
February = 78
January = 67

1,673 total miles in 2018.

2018 Summary:

A great year running. After deciding early on that I would be doing my first marathon in 2019, I started running with a purpose. I started the year building miles and then began following a training plan. Joining this thread helped with so many aspects of my training and preparation and I want to say THANK YOU to everyone for all your input. Outside of the Disney half last January, I only ran 3 races in 2018 - a half in the Spring to get my POT, my first 10K where I set a PR and took home the top spot for my division (Clydesdale division) and then another half in November in the middle of my training plan where I set a PR and ran it almost 5 minutes faster than my Spring half. Outside of the Disney races - Goofy in January and Rival Run in April, I am not sure what the rest of 2019 will look like but assuming I stay healthy, it will most likely include a couple of half marathons and maybe a few other races. I am still not sure if I will train for another marathon but the Hartford marathon is one I have in the back of my mind and NYC even further back. I need to get through January first.

December Training
Distance: 59.3 miles
Duration: 14:21:08
Avg Pace: 14:30 min/mile

2018 Year-End Totals
Distance: 610.1 miles
Duration: 142:49
Avg Pace: 14:02 min/mile

Compared to 2017
Distance: 307.1 miles
Duration: 73:22:37
Avg Pace: 14:20 min/mile

I just had to put last years on here once I saw the difference. I'm fairly impressed with myself :woohoo:. I give a huge shoutout to Coach DopeyBadger. I'm pretty sure that this years totals would have been very similar to last years without his training expertise and encouragement. I look forward to the challenges of 2019!

(Edited to correct text layout)

Year in review:
Running goals going in:
1) Run 2000 miles.
2012.27!! This was not easy. When I look at the full year calendar from Garmin, it's pretty full. But even a few breaks for recovery and injuries, and it took a big effort over the past 6 weeks to make it happen. (Probably not smart.) I hit the 2000 during my run on Saturday, and while putting in a few more then to put 2018 in range this morning was tempting, I need the rest.

2) Get a podium finish.
DW went to UAB, so we try to make it to their Alumni Scholarship Run each year. Last year was the first year they had awards, so I thought I might be able to make it this year. Luckily, one of the top three overall was in my age group, so I JUST made it! A friend of my mother-in-law's engraved it for me.
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.48.26 PM.png

Supplemental goal, when we signed up for Wine & Dine:
5th.jpg

I thought they gave it out to the top 10 in each age group, and I knew my time should be good enough, but then I freaked out when I saw it's only the Top 5! (Did that change?) So I was checking the results constantly that day. I thought it was just a framed picture, but it's a plaque!

Goals for 2019:
(Stay healthy. More, better strength work. Better diet. The usual, I guess.)

1) Run the year.
2) Get fast enough, for far enough...

Happy New Year to all! I went on vacation and could not keep up with all the posts! All caught up now, just in time to end out the year.

December
33 miles
12:10 average minutes per mile
This was not what I had planned, at all. I had hoped November was a fluke, but it seems my 'taper' started two months before the target race!
All of the plans to run while at WDW were foiled by massive rains and a tornado, a puking kid on Christmas eve, general exhaustion and feeling like the worst parent ever as my normally good natured kids put on their best Stitch impression for the week. All the other vacation plans were also impacted, so I am concentrating on being happy we all made it home in one piece (delta did its best to prevent this, once again) even if the luggage did not, & that we are staring the new year healthy. I am also trying to focus on that my post vacation run was virtually the same pace and heart rate as the same distance when I was sticking to a more rigorous running schedule, and that all is not lost going into January.

475 miles- I am both happy and sad about this. It is 4x as many as 2017, but if I had stuck to even 50% of my plan for November and December I would have had no trouble reaching 500. While I am not one for new year's resolutions, I am going to exceed 500 miles next year!
I ran 4 10Ks this year and got progressively faster, even if I was slower than I thought I should be (based on no real criteria). I committed myself to showing up for a half next month but have no intention of running 4 of those in a year! I would have never imagined I would like running a 10K, that I would have felt prepared to run a half (I felt prepared in November, less so now!), or that I would be considering signing up for a second half before starting the first.

I am considering what to pick as my second half marathon. As I think I could be much more trained than I will be going into the race in a week and a half, I am already considering my revenge. Half that starts in my neighborhood in March that has no posted elevation profile? Tack onto a business trip and run Dark Side in April? Wait until June and run along the river with some hills? I cannot believe this is even bouncing around in my head!

December 2018 Totals
running: 80.6 mi
tennis: 4 hours

These are both way down from November because I had about 10 days off while I had a trip to Mumbai. Also, the tennis season ended while I was away.

2018 Totals
running: 1210.3 miles
tennis: 214.5 hours

I increased my running mileage by about 20% from 2017, which surprised me. I don't race much. This year I had half-marathons in March and May, the DC Ragnar in September, and a 10K on December 1.

Not sure how the tennis compares to previous years, but this year includes 58 league matches with the remaining time in practices and contract time.

I wish more races had Clydesdale division. My dream weight goal is always 205 which is where I think 6 pack is for me, but once I hit 220, it becomes a huge challenge.

I won my age group once, years ago, but I was the only one in it.

December miles = 188

November = 173
October = 161
September = 129
August = 174
July = 184
June = 151
May = 156
April = 113
March = 99
February = 78
January = 67

1,673 total miles in 2018.

2018 Summary:

A great year running. After deciding early on that I would be doing my first marathon in 2019, I started running with a purpose. I started the year building miles and then began following a training plan. Joining this thread helped with so many aspects of my training and preparation and I want to say THANK YOU to everyone for all your input. Outside of the Disney half last January, I only ran 3 races in 2018 - a half in the Spring to get my POT, my first 10K where I set a PR and took home the top spot for my division (Clydesdale division) and then another half in November in the middle of my training plan where I set a PR and ran it almost 5 minutes faster than my Spring half. Outside of the Disney races - Goofy in January and Rival Run in April, I am not sure what the rest of 2019 will look like but assuming I stay healthy, it will most likely include a couple of half marathons and maybe a few other races. I am still not sure if I will train for another marathon but the Hartford marathon is one I have in the back of my mind and NYC even further back. I need to get through January first.

2018 was an amazing year! I can’t believe how far I’ve come as a runner. I ran a total of 166.55 miles in 2017. Here are my stats for 2018!

Activities: 257
Miles: 1431.01
Time: 275:06:02

Races:
5K - 2
10K - 3
Half Marathon - 4
Virtual Half - 1

5K PR 28:58 March 2018
10K PR 56:28 November 2018
Half PR 2:13:38 April 2018

Looking forward to what 2019 has in store for me! Starting it off with a bang with my first Marathon as part of the Dopey Challenge. I couldn’t have done this without the help of @DopeyBadger. He created plans for me with lots of variety that were fun and challenging.

image1 2.jpeg
image2 2.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter