• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD:I definitely avoid ice the best I can. There have been a few runs where I thought the sidewalks were clear and had to run in the grass or gently scoot my way across.

Luckily we don't get many ice storms. Most of the icy paths are the result of snow melting and then refreezing.

I definitely avoid icy roads. I'm klutzy enough and have fallen on perfectly dry sidewalks so I take it inside to the treadmill when there's snow or ice on the sidewalks.

I don’t have a metal hanger, they just live in a box in my closet with bibs. Probably should do something with them!

I do run on ice, but using traction things on my shoes. I try for the treated non-icy streets, and aim for the grassy/snowy grass
Alongside sidewalks if I can’t run in the street. If it’s a sheet of ice though, even traction aids wont really help!

We are getting ~6inches today and schools are open on time! Which is good , because we got home with WDW last night and DH and I both have the flu.

It seems the closures/openings are very inconsistent with this storm. Towns right next to each other with totally different calls. Worcester called it at 8:00 last night. But they call it often. Too much mileage on very hill narrow roads to clear. I hope you feel better soon! 3/5 of us came down with flu or a flu like illness while in Disney for marathon weekend. Feel like everyone I know that’s been lately has had at least 1 person in their group come down with something.

ATTQOTD: Nope. Even if I'd be OK traction-wise, I don't trust the Georgia drivers to be OK. Come to think of it, I don't trust them even when the roads are clear.

This is me. I run on roads with no sidewalks or uncleared sidewalks. If it’s icy I usually hit the treadmill. I have yak tracks, but the roads aren’t consistently icy, and wearing them on pavement isn’t a good idea. I don’t trust the drivers if it is icy on the roads I’d use for mid to long distance. There is a residential neighborhood I can around if I need to just do say 4-6. More than that is more repetitive loops than I can handle.

ATTQOTD: Have never run on ice and don’t plan to. It’s started to snow here and since my husband isn’t working from home today, I’m hoping to go out for a quick run in it as long as it’s safe!

ATTQOTD: I never have and I never will. I lived in Chicago during the winter while I was in my "A" School for the Navy and walking on ice was hard enough.

ATTQOTD: Nope. Way too clumsy to run on icy surfaces. 100% chance I'd slip and hurt myself.

DC area snow update: We got about an inch at our house. Somewhere between a dusting to an inch in most of the region. Most school districts were set to open two hours late, but as I was driving in to work (around 7:00 AM), several of them changed to closed for the day. While the snow wasn't bad, the temp dipped after sunrise so melted snow refroze to the roads.

ATTQOTD: I'll run on snow, but not ice. A few years ago it snowed after a warm day (day to day temperature swings can be big in CO), and I thought I'd be ok running. However, the snow had melted on the warm sidewalks as it was first falling, putting a very thin layer of ice under the inches of snow that came after that. I took one over-stride where I landed on my heel, and was promptly laying flat on my back contemplating whether I had broken any bones or not. So I go to the treadmill if there is any hint of ice on the ground.

QOTD: Do you run on icee roads?

ATTQOTD: I almost slipped walking on my driveway, no way I would attempt a run in this. SNEAUX is a much better surface for running.

We should not even HAVE ice on the roads so NO I wouldn't run on them!!!!! Yesterday we had an incredible temp shift of 50 degrees. High was 65 when I did my run around 11 am and the low last night was 15....Wind chill has been hovering between zero and 10 degrees most of the morning so far. :eek: And the high Saturday is supposed to be 68 again. :earseek:

I get to try out my new "winter" running stuff tomorrow. I hope we're done with "Arctic Blasts" for this year....

QOTD: Do you run on icee roads?

Yes, I have often made the stupid decision to run on icy roads, and have the permanent damage to my wrist from falls to prove it. I do have spikes to put on my shoes, but the don't always work efficiently if it's too icy.

ATTQOTD: Ice is usually a hard no for me, although this years turkey trot 5K was quite icy. I used yak trax and was surprised at how well they worked. The race wasn't timed but Garmin gave it a PR thumbs up so they definitely didn't affect my running. Mostly if it is cold enough for ice I am indoors. Only Disney can get me to run in the cold :D

No ice running. I don't like having to change my running gait that much just to deal with the possibility of falling. It can really screw your body up to run in a non-normal way.

ATTQOTD: No I don’t do ice or snow. We get storms so infrequently that it’s not worth the investment to buy the proper gear.

My city in coastal VA (Chesapeake) closed today, but nothing has happened yet. Only expecting an inch. Today is my telework day so I’m home; the PM commute is going to be bad. It’s not supposed to get above freezing until sometime tomorrow so I’m hoping they close my base and I can work from home again!

ATTQOTD: I do end up running on icy surfaces when we have to move out of the road and onto the sidewalk. The sidewalks in some areas tend to just end up as packed down snow that is the equivalent of ice. It's not usually TOO bad, as long as we're not talking about smooth ice, which the sidewalks definitely are not. They surface tends to be very rough and bumpy and sometimes we have to slow down/walk to watch our footing so we don't twist an ankle, not because it's slippery. Like last week when we went for a night run with what ended up as 1 headlamp shared between 3 people and some icy sidwalks. :o One person didn't have one (I think she forgot it) and mine conked out I think from the cold... it felt like it wasn't bright enough and I thought it had a regular and brighter setting, so I pressed the button to see if it would go brighter, and it somehow got completely stuck in the red night vision mode! There was enough ambient light around from house lights and car lights that the red night mode was doing nothing for me, but it was way too dark to see without it, even after we got to the main road that had more streetlights, because the streetlights were on the other side of the road.

The headlamp thing was so bizzare. We thought maybe it got stuck like that because the battery was dying, kinda like how the Tracer360 will only stay in the red light mode when the battery gets too low, which would also explain why I thought it didn't look bright enough in the regular light mode, but it was super weird that I couldn't even get it to turn OFF. And it came back on like nothing happened after the run was all done and I was in my car.

ATTQOTD: Nope. We got 3 inches of snow yesterday and it is now hard packed ice on the roads. Driving in this morning was treacherous! I start my new @DopeyBadger training program tomorrow and have already decided it is a treadmill run unless this ice melts. Which I'm guessing it won't since it is currently 20 and our high is 24 today. But by Saturday it will be 65 and raining. Gotta love the south.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter