• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I generally don’t have this problem- occasionally I’ll get a small line where my waist or bra band sits, but it’s never been too severe...

But speaking of uncomfortable things... we are currently in a blizzard. And my power went out about 30 min ago. So not only can I not work from home, but I am also without means to make coffee (and heat my house too I guess). Or use my treadmill. :upsidedow

ATTQOTD: I use Body Glide also. But I am having another issue - weight loss has led to my Sparkle Skirts becoming too big and the legs are sliding up and down. :( Other Sparkle Skirt wearers will feel my pain in that I can't afford new ones right now. The only time they are ok is with leggings under so hopefully I can keep wearing them while it is cold. But I wore one on the TM the other day and can easily see that the sliding will cause chafing and Body Glide will not help. Has anyone tried the Sparkle Capripants?

QOTD: We have not had a good chafing discussion in a while. Who experiences this problem and what do you do to prevent it?

What a great Monday topic. So much TMI potential! I have three locations that I can chafe, if I'm not careful. My inner thighs are susceptible to chafing, but I have eliminated this as an issue altogether through wearing compression shorts under my running shorts. It's not the reason I wear the compression shorts, but eliminating that source of potential chafing is certainly a happy side benefit. On runs over 13 miles, I tend to have issues with nipple chafing. Band aids have been the best solution I've found there. Finally, I do sometimes have issues with chafing in my deep "inner glutes", for lack of a more genteel term. For that location, Body Glide has been a life saver. One caution on that location, though: dedicate the body glide container to that usage and get another one for less offensive chafing locations! :crazy2:

Oh noooooo! We keep a old percolator around for emergencies like that. We have a gas stove, so it still works if the power is off.

Our entire house is unfortunately electric (heating and everything), which I don’t care for, but if it lasts long enough, I might have to dig a path and wheel the grill outside to boil some water for my French press. Priorities, right? Ha!

(and heat my house too I guess)
Hahaha. Coffee > heat.

ATTQOTD: Funny you bring this up! I have been online shopping for new sports bras and while reading the reviews so many comments were "Didn't chafe!" and I was like, hmmm I have never chaffed from a bra while running. AND THEN (like how an ad pops up on your Facebook feed because you thought of something) the bra I have been using for years made me chafe. I felt betrayed. However, I fixed the problem by using some body glide, but still.
My biggest chafing spot is my thighs and I tend to wear longer shorts because of this, just to eliminate the potential of it happening, because even body glide has betrayed me and thigh chafe is the WORST.

ATTQOTD: Body Glide + clothes that fit properly. If clothes are too loose, I chafe.

ATTQOTD: I use Body Glide also. But I am having another issue - weight loss has led to my Sparkle Skirts becoming too big and the legs are sliding up and down. :( Other Sparkle Skirt wearers will feel my pain in that I can't afford new ones right now. The only time they are ok is with leggings under so hopefully I can keep wearing them while it is cold. But I wore one on the TM the other day and can easily see that the sliding will cause chafing and Body Glide will not help. Has anyone tried the Sparkle Capripants?
Can you put them up for trade? Great problem to have but also frustrating...

ATTQOTD: Body Glide + clothes that fit properly. If clothes are too loose, I chafe.

Can you put them up for trade? Great problem to have but also frustrating...

Yeah, I should probably do that. Lynae tried for some of hers though and got absolutely no interest. There isn't even much moving sales wise so I was going to hold onto them until better weather, hoping that sales will go up. I am looking for some shorts/capri's that have similar pockets. I know Inknburn has them but I don't think I can afford them, lol. :)

Yeah, I should probably do that. Lynae tried for some of hers though and got absolutely no interest. There isn't even much moving sales wise so I was going to hold onto them until better weather, hoping that sales will go up. I am looking for some shorts/capri's that have similar pockets. I know Inknburn has them but I don't think I can afford them, lol. :)
Yeah, the market is absolutely saturated on SparkleSkirts, not surprised people are having trouble selling. INKnBURN does do the occasional discount code, I'll message you if I see one. :)

ATTQOTD: I go into prevent mode by wearing longer shorts or capris instead of short shorts. Although let's be honest, I'm also super self-conscious in short shorts, but I also don't enjoy the thigh rub that comes with them either.
I'm a big body glide user - toes, feet, thighs, bra-strap area, and now the upper arm area if I'm using my armband-phone holder. I learned the hard way during my first 9 miler that my phone holder will start chafing me in short sleeves/tanks around mile 8+. I had been putting it in my pocket, but on race day put it on my arm and ouch!

ATTQOTD: Fortunately I have only had this problem once. Mile 5ish of this past W&D 10K. I had on tight shorty shorts under my sparkle athletic skirt (shorts I’ve worn hundreds of times) but I’ve lost some inches in my thighs and they don’t stay down as well anymore. Normally it’s fine, but I was so sweaty I had a little inner thigh chafe. It went away within a day, so it wasn’t bad. I absolutely love the lululemon 4 inch speed up shorts. I’ve tried the 2.5 inch but they’re just a tad too short, even with my short legs. My husband swears by squirrels nut butter, which makes me giggle every time he mentions it.

I am on furlough today with the government shutdown, so I was able to run this morning. What’s happening sucks, but it is such a beautiful spring like day today! I hope it sticks around but I’m sure it won’t.

ATTQOTD: I have on again off again issues with chafing, but only in the heat and humidity, not usually in cold runs. Must be less sweat and/or the cooler drier air keeping my clothes drier. I only wear capris, tight shorts or tights, never lose shorts. I got a second color of my favorite sports bra, and it was causing severe chafe on my back, to the point of bleeding. I kept trying because it was expensive and I did not want to just get rid of it. I had my husband body glide over the previous chafe to be sure it was covered, and it still happened on long runs, but I finally realized I can wear it for about a 10k distance and not have a problem.

Little lesson learned regarding chafe at the Marathon a few weeks ago. I was wearing my favorite Athleta capris, never have chafe issues with them. But, around the half point at Animal Kingdom I stopped to use a restroom. In the rush to get back out there I must not have pulled them up quite right. :headache: I ended up with what was the worst upper inner thigh chafe ever, it was only on one leg, which is why I think it was how I pulled them up after the pitstop. Usually I chafe evenly;) I took over a week to heal. So I learned, in the future, take the time to pull up my pants right!

QOTD: We have not had a good chafing discussion in a while. Who experiences this problem and what do you do to prevent it?
I rarely experience it. When I do it's usually because I didn't get some piece of clothing situated right and/or forgot to body glide. 99% of the time I proactively bodyglide and don't run into issues.

Our entire house is unfortunately electric (heating and everything), which I don’t care for, but if it lasts long enough, I might have to dig a path and wheel the grill outside to boil some water for my French press. Priorities, right? Ha!

It won't help for this time, but pick up a Coleman camp stove at a yard sale ($40 brand new on Amazon). If you're lucky, you can get the percolator at the same yard sale. If not, Amazon has those for $14.

So for under 55 bucks (might be more, once you include propane), you are set for the next time.

Morning coffee is #2 on my most important things list, right behind oxygen. I feel your pain.

ATTQOTD: Body Glide is my friend in the Alabama summers. Worst spot is under my right arm, about two inches from my armpit...never happens to the left arm though. :confused3

Also, in response to this weekend's discussion. I did my first run 6 days after the marathon and have done anywhere from 3-4 miles each day. Ramped it back up to 6 miles each day this weekend and start my new @DopeyBadger training plan today! WOO!

It won't help for this time, but pick up a Coleman camp stove at a yard sale ($40 brand new on Amazon). If you're lucky, you can get the percolator at the same yard sale. If not, Amazon has those for $14.

So for under 55 bucks (might be more, once you include propane), you are set for the next time.

Morning coffee is #2 on my most important things list, right behind oxygen. I feel your pain.

That is a good idea! Thankfully, despite our crazy midwestern weather, our power doesn’t go out too often here. I hope it is restored soon, but at the same time, I don’t want (anyone including lineman!) to go out in this storm!

ATTQOTD: re: chafing

Good boxer briefs take care of most of it. Any runs over 6 miles get band aids to prevent nipple chafing. I'm usually good with that.
My wife uses about 8 sticks of Body Glide on her feet for any run. (I slightly exaggerate.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter