• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD:

1) Something that really binds. Right now I have an Old Navy one that works create and one from Lane Bryant.

2) My husband will never run without a shirt even in 95 degree heat. He will run in a tank top.

ATTQOTD: I'm not working with much up there, so I can pretty much wear whatever. I'm picky about straps however; I do not like thin racer back straps. My favorite running sports bra is a Nike dri-fit that I bought at TJ Maxx almost 9 years ago. I also wear Target C9, Vimmia and Fabletics.

QOTD: Today we will have two questions, which will become clear on why there are two in a second. You are welcome to answer both if it applies though.

1. Ladies of the running thread, what type of running bra's do you find to work best? Brand or structure, ect...

2. Guys, do you run without a shirt during warmer weather? Any advantage to doing so?

ATTQOTD:
Fair warning ... this will be kinda TMI. (Much like yesterday's question, actually)

Very interesting that this is today's QOTD, because my friend who joined me during my race on Sunday was telling me that I need a new sports bra. I told her that I wear the ones I wear because they're comfortable and cheap. So they work for me, even though they don't really do the job.
Because of my size, I really kind of need a very good sports bra that's incredibly constricting in terms of movement. I also hate a) spending money, and b) things that are super constricting.
I'm probably going to be in the market for a new sports bra eventually, and I'm guessing it'll take me a long time to find one that I like (and not just because they don't sell my size in most stores). Anything that works will probably be uncomfortable, and anything that is comfortable probably won't work. This will be a super fun experience.
I may have to go back to a dedicated bra store and see if they sell sports bras and get officially fitted again (I've never gotten fitted for a sports bra, but I have gotten fitted for a regular bra, and it was a pretty good experience and helped a lot).
I'm interested to see what bras people like, especially those who are on the larger side ... I'm definitely looking for ideas! (My friend recommended Moving Comfort/Brooks, so that's on my list of brands to try)

In terms of #2 ... this actually bothers me more than it should. Which is weird because I have no problem with women running in only a sports bra. But this is probably also because the guy I see running around without a shirt most often is my sister's former boss, and that's just awkward.
TL;DR - if this is your thing, go for it, even if people like me give you dirty looks

Just off kodiak ak. We live in kodiak so we got A lot of rattle from the quake and had the biggest tsunami threat. Since have been given the all clear thankfully

I heard about the quake/tsunami warning this morning but hadn't checked recently to see what was going on - glad you got the all clear!

QOTD: Today we will have two questions, which will become clear on why there are two in a second. You are welcome to answer both if it applies though.

1. Ladies of the running thread, what type of running bra's do you find to work best? Brand or structure, ect...

2. Guys, do you run without a shirt during warmer weather? Any advantage to doing so?
I always wear a shirt. I run in my neighborhood and would like my neighbors to like me :)

ATTQOTD: I got some hideously ugly, tan Patagonia sport bras off of eBay last year after I asked the ladies for their opinions on brands regarding sweat. I also "don't need much support" so these aren't for ladies that do but these things are the best for moisture wicking! I got a 3 pack for like $9.99 with free shipping. They are the same ones that are issued to the ladies in the Army.

ATTQOTD: If I get out really early in the summer, I might go without a shirt, but I sunburn way too easily to do it for any kind of long run. And I'm not going to try to enlist the help to sunscreen my back before heading out.

QOTD: We have not had a good chafing discussion in a while. Who experiences this problem and what do you do to prevent it?

I generally don't have a lot of chafing problems but I do use Body Glide if it is really hot. It isn't necessarily chafing but I also apply Aquaphor proactively to my feet and between my toes on anything longer than 10 miles to proactively prevent blisters.

Yesterdays QOTD was informative and entertaining. The ole chafing discussion always brings out some interesting reading. I'm afraid todays question will be a let down now lol.

Once it gets to about 40 degrees I run without a shirt and for a race that is closer to 30. It might be as much mental as physical but I get really hot when I run and I always feel better without a shirt if it isn't too cold. The exception to this is trail running. We are in deer tick area so to lesson the "attack surface" so to speak I run with at least a singlet through the woods.

PSA: If you run without a shirt, well, actually with any exposed skin, use sunscreen in the summer. I don't generally burn but I still use a zinc oxide only sunscreen when it gets to the high sun months.

Ladies of the running thread, what type of running bra's do you find to work best? Brand or structure, ect...
Despite being a woman, I am actually going to answer both of these:
1. Main stream best bras for me are the Victoria Secret sports brand (PINK) but although all is "contained" I have had chaffing issues here.
Non-main stream is FlagnorFail, which is actually a Bodybuilding line, I find them incredibly comfortable: absolutely no chafing ever!
2. I frequently go shirtless-but IN A BRA in the summer since we can hit 100 degrees+ with the humidity.
Funnily there is a local bike club comprised of WOMEN that rides TOPLESS (AND BRALESS) on Sundays in the summer here. (Toplessness is legal in my province).

@kski907 I'm happy to hear that they cancelled the tsunami warning. My DH has a friend that lives in Kenai.

ATTQOTD #1: I’m a big fan of Athleta bras as well. My favorite ones aren’t made anymore (double dare & triple dare), but I’ve been able to find new with tag on Ebay. The material wicks sweat really well and doesn’t make my skin under the bra all itchy. Nothing sucks more than having a terrible itch in the middle of your back that you can’t reach in the middle of a run. I bought one from Rawthreads at the Expo last month that is a similar style to the Athleta double/triple dare and was happy with it. I just wish it came in colors other than black and navy blue.

ATTQOTD: Not working with a lot up top so most brands work just fine for me but I will add that I do use the ones that tend to have more padding for the winter months.

Anyone here run the Richmond marathon? I think I’m going to bite the bulletin and run a marathon outside of Disney. Of course I had made the mistake of saying I would never run a marathon to begin with and then said I would never run one outside of Disney and now look at me....

ATTQOTD:

I think I pretty much answered this question yesterday in my response. I guess I'm a partial torso never-nude; I can't claim full membership because my shirts aren't denim and I take them off in the shower.

ATTQOTD: Not working with a lot up top so most brands work just fine for me but I will add that I do use the ones that tend to have more padding for the winter months.

Anyone here run the Richmond marathon? I think I’m going to bite the bulletin and run a marathon outside of Disney. Of course I had made the mistake of saying I would never run a marathon to begin with and then said I would never run one outside of Disney and now look at me....

I've personally only done the 8K, but my husband ran the marathon in 2015. He absolutely loved it! He still raves about it. He went in not expecting anything as he had just PR'd Marine Corps a few weeks before and he does 0 hill training and only heard about how awful the hills are in Richmond....well he PR'd Richmond by about 13 minutes and felt like he could have pushed even harder. He said course support from volunteers and residents is like nothing he's ever experienced.

FWIW, I loved the 8K too!

ATTQOTD (#1)

Currently this is the bra I use, the Natori Power Yogi: https://www.amazon.com/Natori-Womens-Power-Convertible-Sports/dp/B009PK95FW

Not cheap (though the funky colors sometimes go on sale, I did take advantage of that at one point), but let's just say, for me it's worth it to get a supportive, good quality sports bra. I wish I could get by with something form Target or whatever, but 1.) No one wants to see that, and 2.) I like myself too much to cause that kind of pain.

Advantages (slightly TMI, gentlemen, feel free to skip):
1. The straps are convertible (I think crossing them gives more support, and I can wear them under racerback-style tops without the straps showing)
2. There are underwires for support
3. It sort of has 2 "layers" - there are cups like a regular bra, and then there's a layer that sort of goes over that to really hold things in
4. They come in real bra sizes (with rib cage and cup measurements as opposed to just S/M/L)
5. It feels really comfortable, like a real bra and not like you're just strapping yourself in
6. related to (4), the sizing is greatly expanded. Places like Victoria's Secret only have so many sizes - the one I need is one that they don't carry, but Natori does.

Ladies: I'd highly recommend going to a department story to get a bra fitting. I had suspected for awhile that I was in the wrong size and I turned out to be right about that...and department stores have more of a variety of sizes compared to, again, a place like Victoria's Secret. :confused3

I hate bra shopping so much.

I do not run without a shirt. However, once it does warm up I switch over to a tank top for my runs. I usually run in the early morning hours when the sun is not an issue, so I don't worry about getting a bad tank top tan.

Just off kodiak ak. We live in kodiak so we got A lot of rattle from the quake and had the biggest tsunami threat. Since have been given the all clear thankfully
OMG. Glad you all are okay!!!

one from Lane Bryant.
Never thought to look there....

There are underwires for support
UGH. The idea of an underwire in my sports bra is so unappealing.

I hate bra shopping so much.
THIS.

ATTQOTD:
1) I envy all of you who don't need extra support. I'm not like huge, but I struggle to find a bra that fits and is comfortable to run in. I have been able to find a few at Target & Old Navy that work okay. But I read enough reviews about other places and they just don't make bras for girls with boobs. It sucks. Maybe if I keep running my boobs will shrink and I won't have to worry about this anymore.
2) I have a goal this year to run outside in a sports bra only. To not care what people think. Or how I look. And just do it. It's 100+ degrees in the summer here and sometimes even a tank top is too much.

ATTQOTD: I have been lucky with multiple brands of sports bras. I think good fit can come at all price points if I take the time to be sure I’m getting the right size, which is different in different brands and styles. For me price difference has more to do with longevity. I have had $15 C9 bras up to $60 moving comfort. Both fit well, and gave me the necessary support, but the Moving Comfort last much longer. Unfortunately C9 no longer makes the style I had luck with, tried another that seemed similar, but it didn't work as well for runs. Its fine for cross training though.

No. No. And no. I don't want to see forty-something year old dudes running around with no shirt and assume no one else does either. Though I may be able to pull it off I will spare others any potential discomfort.

I always run with a shirt on, primarily so I have sleeves on which to wipe my sweat. Even most of my tri suits have sleeves for the same reason. The only time in the past however many years I've run without a shirt is during a 25 mile training run when my band-aids fell off after the first 11 miles or so. Given a choice between bloody nipples and no shirt, I opted to take off the shirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter