• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

I started with the Target c9 bras but they seemed to lose their elasticity pretty quickly and weren't supportive enough after a year or so. I'm currently using Old Navy sports bras for long runs and they work pretty well for me. I have experienced chafing issues with them but that's taken care of with body glide or kt tape under the back strap.

I haven't runt eh Richmond marathon but the Richmond half was my first half. It was a great race, really well organized with lots of crowd support. It's fairly late in November so can be cold.

ATTQOTD: I don't have much of anything to contain, so I'm quite happy with the simplest of Target's C9 sports bras, preferably off the clearance rack, plus my 5% Red Card discount. :)

Exactly! I have 4 Champion bras that I rotate through and when they go I will be very sad since I don't think they make the same style anymore.

Yesterdays QOTD was informative and entertaining. The ole chafing discussion always brings out some interesting reading. I'm afraid todays question will be a let down now lol.

QOTD: Today we will have two questions, which will become clear on why there are two in a second. You are welcome to answer both if it applies though.

2. Guys, do you run without a shirt during warmer weather? Any advantage to doing so?

I always wear a shirt. I need something to absorb the gallons of sweat the pour from my body. That's one thing I've never understood about people who don't wear shirts. How can you stand all that sweat just building up and rolling down your body. Also, how would I get those sweet tan lines if I didn't wear a shirt.

I've had good luck with whatever I can find on sale at the outlet mall, this includes Nike, Adidas, and Reebok. The biggest thing is to pay attention if you gain or lose weight, my bust is the first to adjust. The Adidas ones I didn't care for as much, but now that I'm 15 lbs lighter they're my favorite and the Reebok don't fit as well.

The only people I regularly see running without tops are the local xc team and it always kind of creeps me out.

QOTD: Today we will have two questions, which will become clear on why there are two in a second. You are welcome to answer both if it applies though.

1. Ladies of the running thread, what type of running bra's do you find to work best? Brand or structure, ect...
Champion marathon bra. Not totally sure they make them anymore, but I am guessing they have some version of that still. I stocked up when they went on super sale on the website so I haven't looked lately. They are great, they hold you in but you don't feel like you are being squeezed to death and they wick away sweat pretty well too.

Exactly! I have 4 Champion bras that I rotate through and when they go I will be very sad since I don't think they make the same style anymore.
Don't lose hope - they stopped making my go-to for a couple years, but it came back! I may or may not have bought a dozen while they were on sale, lol! Be sure to check online, too, as there are styles there that my local stores don't carry.

ATTQOTD: Bra shopping of any sort is very depressing to me, and worse for sport bras as no one carries my size locally but the specialty store and I am not young, but I do bring down their average customer age by several years and there are no returns, so no! I started running with the moving comfort/brooks fiona, but the band/cup sizes are limited so I had to go up in band, down in cup to get it to work. It was alright, and I could get them on clearance from REI. Unfortunately it is the only one I could get to fit from REI. I recently bought 6 by mail from title 9 (great returns, not great prices) and immediately hated the Panache one, decided I did not love 4 but did not hate them, and kept the ShockAbsorber. The color is obnoxious, but I like the fit so it is all mine and I feel like a high schooler with an electric blue bra sticking out under a safety orange tank.

ATTQOTD (Monday): I had a favorite skort from Athleta I got on clearance, and wore all summer and fall, every run, smelly or not because I loved it so much. Then in November it was relegated to the bottom of the pile and not seen since due to the little rubber band at the bottom of the shorts delaminating skin as I ran. I did not realize it until I was two miles out and there was blood on my thigh. I miss the skort and its amazing pockets, but had not considered body glide, so thank you for this line of conversation! Related, my friend came to visit me after my twins were born, but really to run the detroit marathon, and had no body glide. Desitin was all I had to offer her in the middle of the night, I think she was glad she did not know anyone and it was too dark to see white thighs!

I have a random assortment, but recently invested in a few from a brooks (after I had some chafing at PHm) - I use those for long runs, and the rest work fine for regular short runs.

ATTQOTD: I feel that after a certain age, men should only go shirtless at the pool or the beach.

...it always kind of creeps me out.

Exactly!

Having said that, I will occasionally go shirtless during the summer, especially during speed workouts. I do all my running on rural roads, so I don't inflict my shirtless self on too many people. I also run in the early morning so sun exposure isn't an issue.

How can you stand all that sweat just building up and rolling down your body

It's so hot here during the summer, that your shirt gets 100% soaked anyway, so you actually stay less wet (note I didn't say drier) without a shirt.

I'm interested to see what bras people like, especially those who are on the larger side ... I'm definitely looking for ideas! (My friend recommended Moving Comfort/Brooks, so that's on my list of brands to try)

This'll serve as my ATTQOTD and a recommendation for you, @SarahDisney. I have enough to work with that I need the extra support/compression. I really like the Brooks Uplift Crossback. I find it to be pretty supportive and I like that the crossback style gets some weight off my shoulders (and I feel like helps with running posture, too). It's fairly breathable, somewhat shapely, and wicks pretty well. I appreciate the padding in the winter, don't mind it in the summer. I got one at my local running store last year and liked it so much that I'm slowly replacing other sports bras with these as I see sales. I'll hold on to my 2 UnderArmour lightweights just for hot, short workouts (or treadmill runs) because I like the fit, but am getting rid of the old Nike and C9 ones I have in favor of these Brooks ones.

PS - I just googled to make sure that I had the name right (I do) and saw that the Brooks website has select colors on sale.

ATTQOTD:

1) I’ve successfully used the New Balance adjustable strap sports bras (I don’t know their official name) that I find at Marshalls for pretty cheap for several years. June 2016 I had a prophylactic double mastectomy and reconstruction which obviously restructured my upper body somewhat. Since then on long training runs, the bottom of the back strap will slip around and give me a nice chafing line across my back. Yesterday’s answers gave me some good ideas though, so thanks for that!:flower3:

2)Sometimes I would really like to run in just my sports bra when it’s blazing hot, but I’ve already had to change my short’s length after receiving too much attention. I get massive runner’s rage when I get honked at, yelled at, or talked to during my runs, so I try to wear the most unflattering running clothes possible. >:( Oh, and hold up my mace when a car pulls up too close:wave2:

I would love to run without a shirt since I adjust it thru a long run. But I don’t want to scare other people so I put on a shirt.

Completely off topic, but can any of you ultra-smart, computer hacker type people figure out (by permits being filed, race course being set, or however you smarter than me people do it!) when the #SiloDistrict Marathon is being held in May in Waco, TX? Someone on the boards (sorry, I don't remember who!:()mentioned that Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV's Fixer Upper are hosting a marathon in early May in Waco and now I am obsessed with wanting to run it. But seriously, shouldn't the date be released already for a race that soon? I have commented on their blog and tweeted them but am looking for other avenues, lol. :)

ATTQOTD: I love love love the Zensah seamless bras. I am like others in that I don't really have to worry about a lot of support, so these work well for me. I also really like the adjustable New Balance ones.

I do sometimes run without a shirt (with a sports bra) in the scorching summer months. I live in the middle of nowhere and everyone's driveways are super long so I am not too worried about it.

Fun Friday QOTD: When you are at Walt Disney World, where do you like to get your runs in? (This excludes runDisney events)

I have run around Hour Glass Lake a few times. It is a nice loop. Didn't see any smokers when I was there. My favorite area are the campground loops. I run when I am over there. Since I drive there (2 1/2 hours south) I will also take my road bike with me and ride all around the Fort and over to the Wilderness Lodge to put in mileage.

Completely off topic, but can any of you ultra-smart, computer hacker type people figure out (by permits being filed, race course being set, or however you smarter than me people do it!) when the #SiloDistrict Marathon is being held in May in Waco, TX? Someone on the boards (sorry, I don't remember who!:()mentioned that Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV's Fixer Upper are hosting a marathon in early May in Waco and now I am obsessed with wanting to run it. But seriously, shouldn't the date be released already for a race that soon? I have commented on their blog and tweeted them but am looking for other avenues, lol. :)
I tried to google but cannot for the life of me find anything. All I have seen is "early May" but that isn't helpful. I desperately want to go.

Yesterdays QOTD was informative and entertaining. The ole chafing discussion always brings out some interesting reading. I'm afraid todays question will be a let down now lol.

1. Ladies of the running thread, what type of running bra's do you find to work best? Brand or structure, ect...

2. Guys, do you run without a shirt during warmer weather? Any advantage to doing so?

ATTQOTD:

1. I got nothing on this topic, but thought it could perhaps provide helpful information for those new to the sport or looking to change things up.

2. Never been a person to run without a shirt as I lack the confidence even during my healthiest period to do so. I do think the shirt helps though with wiping sweat from my face. That is until the shirt is fully saturated and then that doesnt really work.

I will almost always be wearing a shirt when I run. The only time I take my shirt off is if I start having a nipple chafing issue mid run. I run with some very fit guys that are fine with running without their shirts. They're all really low body fat and ripped with six packs. If I were to take my shirt off it would be like the before and after shots for p90x, and I don't like being the "before".

Me too! And I want to book a hotel, etc! My "inner-planner" is suffering greatly, lol!

All I found was your comment on the blog! No competing marathons within 50 miles of Waco, TX during all of May either. But it did say "early May" and the second weekend of May is 12/13th. I'd qualify 12/13th as "Mid-May", so my money is on May 5th/6th (just a guess though).

I tried to google but cannot for the life of me find anything. All I have seen is "early May" but that isn't helpful. I desperately want to go.
I've been interested in this as I think it's a race DW would be very supportive of me attending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter