• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

What a timely question- I just started a bullet journal for running last week. It's been a little overwhelming to set up, but I like having an overview and being able to write down my goals in the same place. I work in excel all.day.long, so it's kind of nice to have a paper version. (I love me some colored pens too...)

My other "journal" is my insta account (same as my name here) that I created just for running. I post almost every run on there and I have liked looking back on past runs.

Sorry to hear that you're in this situation. I have faith that if you're doing your job well, which it sounds like you are, it will all work out!
At a previous job, I once had to tell my boss (co-owner of the company) that his partner's son was fudging his numbers, which I found when auditing. It was hard, but doing the right thing is always right.

I just realized I didn't answer the original question... No, I do not have a journal on this site. I really love reading and interacting on others' journals though. I have just about created a journal about 20x, but have yet to pull the trigger for a variety of reasons. But...I even have the title ready if that time ever comes ;)

ATTQOTD: No and No. I will sometimes make some notes on Garmin Connect regarding an ache, so I can refer back (although I never do) and see when it started.

I've thought about creating a journal here, but haven't due to lack of time and lack of creativity. I generally don't have accountability issues.

ATTQOTD: Nope. I started one for WDW marathon last year but was lazy an unmotivated in keeping it up. I track my progress thru Garmin Connect and Strava and that is enough for me. :)

@LSUlakes I have a race to add!

March
04 - Dis5150 - Little Rock Marathon (NG / N/A)
Goal may change as I would really like a 5:59:59 but @DopeyBadger has me at 6:13. We will see how disciplined I am on race day. :)

I have every run I have done on a spreadsheet. This goes back to my first run back in 2012. All these runs are also in apps on my phone, but just in case something happens to that, I want to make sure I have a backup. It's not really a journal. Just date, mileage, type of workout, etc.

Hey @LSUlakes, I hope that work situation ends up ok, that sounds like a yucky place to be.

ATTQOTD: I do have a journal here. It's been so helpful for me to have a place to record my progress, and it's been invaluable to have people who have been at this longer than I have answering questions, chiming in if I'm curious or nervous about something, or just being supportive in general. It's also motivating to me... I think I try to do a little better with each plan and each race because I'll have to recap it in a "public" venue.

Like others, I really enjoy reading the other journals that are on here, so if you're on the fence about starting one, jump in! I'll be one of your readers : )

ATTQOTD:

I have a journal on here and I try to stay as up to date as possible. It's part running journal, part trip reports, part random junk (maybe mostly random junk). It's primary purpose is for accountability, but I haven't been doing the greatest with that for a while. I keep it for myself and if others read it and enjoy it that's cool too.

QOTD: Do you have a journal on this site? If so, do you keep it up to date? Do you have a journal at home that is more than just data collection (Garmin connect, Strava, ect)?
I used Lauren Fleshman's Believe journal for a couple of years. It's a beautiful journal (and I adore LF), but I found I wasn't using any of the extra "stuff" it includes. So, I switched to her Believe Logbook. It still wasn't the right fit so I ended up ordering a blank Leuchtturm journal and created my own. I only track the basics: miles, pace, cross training, and brief notes about how things are going.

QOTD: Do you have a journal on this site? If so, do you keep it up to date? Do you have a journal at home that is more than just data collection (Garmin connect, Strava, ect)?

I don't have a journal on here. Each run is logged in three places. I have a paper log I keep updated, I upload each activity to Garmin Connect, and I have the desktop version of SportTracks that I import each activity into.

ATTQOTD: I don't have a journal here. Closest thing I have is an excel spreadsheet that I set up all my training plans in, that way I can cut and paste if I am repeating a plan I've done before. I also keep track of month and yearly mileage there. I almost made my goal last year, off by 41 miles. I would have gotten there if I had not chosen to take a lot of extra time off in December. I was injured in late November, and my PT advised me to keep my mileage low and try to get better for the marathon. I got in 50 miles, should have been more like 90-100, so if I am at least happy knowing I was close.

ATTQOTD: I use Garmin Connect and a desk planner at work to log miles and other exercise. I've considered starting a journal on here, but honestly I'm not very tech savvy, and I sometimes have the hardest time just posting a picture on here! It would probably be the most boring journal ever, unless I had a journal assistant like @roxymama or @ZellyB to help me with fun memes and GIF's. :P

Seriously though, I have a hard enough time keeping up with reading everyone else's journals, let alone one of my own, but I do enjoy reading them though.

ATTQOTD:

I've got a training journal on this site (link). I've been writing in it since Jan 2016. I find it to be a valuable resource for myself. I can't even count the number of times that I've gone back and re-read notes from past runs. Primarily of interest is:

-When did I last have this odd feeling in my leg/hip/foot?
-How long did it take for the odd feeling to resolve?
-Coming back from a marathon, how long does it take for me to feel normal again? Shockingly, about 21-28 days post-marathon for feeling normal again and 42 days before my HR returns to normal.
-What was my training stats from a training cycle and how did I perform in the "A" race afterwards? Were there any indicators to predict the outcome?

My journal also serves as a place where I can put to paper and write out my running philosophies. Ideas on train slow to race fast, Pac-Man, mental side of running, pace, duration, carb consumption, recovery, T+D, heart rate vs pace relationship, etc.

During a training cycle, I update the journal on the past week's runs. I usually do this on Mondays. I write out the number of miles and number of intervals I hit within my specific scheduled pace. Tracking those intervals has been invaluable because if I'm not hitting my daily % or my weekly % its usually my first indicator something needs to be reevaluated. I write down the weather, and some random musings about the run. How did it feel? When did it click, if ever? I go back and re-read these things to see if I can continue to learn more about myself.

Lastly, I'm starting a new section on my training journal to track my training plans. I've been writing training plans since November 2015. One of the biggest deficiencies in my writing of them has been tracking the results of the plans. Anecdotally, I remember some, but I assuredly don't remember all of them. So after Marathon Weekend, I had runners submit their testimonials (the good, the bad, and the critical). I'm still learning and applying my ideas to the training plans. Thus, any feedback at this point is good feedback and I'm willing to share any and all critiques because it helps make me accountable to the people I'm trying to help. So if someone wants to learn that it's not only possible to train at a max of 11 miles for a marathon, but to complete it feeling good and continue on with their day. Or how someone cut nearly 90 minutes off their marathon PR, or how someone went from a 1:50 HM to a 1:29 HM in only 18 weeks, or someone runs a HM and in the process sets a PR at every distance from 400m to HM during the event, etc. I've then got a place where these things are on record and I can point to them.

Outside of my training journal, I have an extensive Excel file that I use to track data and record random information. Tabs I've got:

-Records (every race, distance, time, placement in total/gender/division, and race PR tracking)
-102 Goals
-Marathon Recovery information (when do I feel normal, when is my HR normal again, when did I start re-training?)
-Marathons (a detailed analysis of my splits from most of my marathons, analyzing the splits in race versus training paces, average race pace, etc.)
-Historical (old data from pre-Garmin)
-Caloric Needs (a large calculator built to help determine caloric needs for a marathon based on body weight and VO2max)
-HR vs Pace (a dataset analyzing the relationship of my HR at a set pace over years, while HR can be manipulated by some outside factors when viewed from a far in can be quite predictive and useful to determine current fitness, calculations for HRR, resting HR tracking on daily and weekly basis, etc.)
-Every training plan I've followed since Winter 2013
-Stravistix (a detailed analysis of my data from Stravistix to help optimize my personal training plan writing, also trying to learn about the inner workings of the training load calculations, etc.)
-Hansons Method (a breakdown of the book Hansons plan, non-book Hansons plans that go to 60-80+ miles, and Luke Humphrey's plan and how they're written differently)
-Diet (tracking of calories and macronutrients in my diet)
-Pacing (an excel calculator made from the Hansons book paces [which is now available on their website])
-Cadence, Pace, and Stride (an attempt to figure out what the relationship is between cadence, pace and stride - it's y=1.0952x^-1.004 with y as cadenceXstride and x as pace - and to see how mine has changed over time)
-Boston Qualifying Times (an analysis of Boston Qualifying times from several major races to determine the equality of the BQ times)
-Shoes (tracking mileage, cost and cost per mile)
-Prediction Contest tracking
-Disney Times (tracking AG winners of 10k, HM, and M from the last years to determine how close I am, tracking corral information, tracking temp+dew of previous race weekends)
-Bucket List races
-Health (tracking medical info like cholesterol, HDL, LDL, blood pressure, weight, etc.)
-Every training plan I've ever written for someone else

ATTQOTD: Nope, no journal here (or anywhere). That would take way too much time and organization. I log stuff on Garmin Connect and Strava, but that's about it. I had a running journal that a friend gave me when I decided to run my first marathon but even then, just recorded mileage/times. I would rather be running than writing about running. I enjoy reading about it though.

ATTQOTD: No, I don’t keep a journal here or off-line. I would love to, but I know I would not keep up with it. I use Strava and MapMyRun and track my shoe mileage on Excel. That’s about it. I use a pretty little agenda book for everything else in my life, so I do like the idea of jotting down notes about how I feel after a run.

ATTQOTD: I started a training journal on here shortly before I started my first @DopeyBadger Plan 8 weeks ago. (You can follow along here.) I enjoyed reading everyone else's and I knew it would help me stay accountable. Plus I like taking time to look back on my training and my races. Some of you have amazing memories and will be like "Oh back at the WDW Marathon in 2014 XYZ happened." And I am more like, "Oh yeah, I ran that race and I finished." I feel like really sitting down and recapping a race will help me in the long run (oh the pun). I also have a believe journal that I jot info about my runs and races in. And I have a section in my Plum Planner for "fitness" but here I just mostly log my goals and my weight. I use Runkeeper and Strava, but have thought about using an excel spreadsheet as well this year, just haven't got that far yet.
(If you haven't noticed, I like keeping track of things. I might have a problem.)

ATTQOTD: I have a journal here . Come read it! :D It started back in Feb. 2016 (Wow, almost 2 years now) and while it's a lot about training, it's also a lot about whatever. Running clothes, race recaps, vacation plans, my dogs, my kids, FOOD! whatever. It's often the non-running stuff that gets the most feedback anyway. :D It's good for me from an accountability standpoint, but that's not my primary reason for it. I like having the history to look back on and remind myself of things. It's also just been a great way to get to know people on here better and that's been a big motivation for me. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's often knowing that I have people on her rooting for me that pushes me toward improvement. People here are amazing and awesome. LEGIT!! Also, if you start to read my journal, don't start at the beginning (UGH too much to read), just jump in! Word of warning. I like gifs and I'm told it can make my thread slow-loading ;) which by the way, is an excellent excuse for my readers to upgrade their computers. I forgot to mention that my thread and others I read also tend to focus on enabling running purchases - you've been warned.

Also, any one considering writing one... DO IT!!! It's 90% of what I read here on the Dis and I love them. I'm waaaay behind on my reading though since the holidays and Dopey trip and I'm trying to get caught back up.

I do not have a journal on this site. I’ve thought about it the past week after starting my DB training plan, but it would be stepping way out of my comfort zone. I’m also a boring, shy, introverted homebody. My idea of a good time on a Friday night is laying in bed with lots of pillows and reading a book. However I do have a dog, two cats and love to cook so there is the potential for lots of animal and food pics :scratchin

ETA: I don’t keep a journal of any type for running beyond Garmin Connect and my brand new Strava account.

@LSUlakes My husband goes through the same thing all the time with projects at his job. It’s difficult when it has an impact on you, but sometimes you just have to let people crash and burn. Just keep a paper trail of their lack of work.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I don't have a journal here, but I really enjoy reading other's when I get the chance. I mostly keep track of my runs on instagram (@fueledbycocoa if anyone likes following runners on Instagram!) I also keep track of my mileage on Run the Edge's website. My in-laws and I are on a "team" to run 2,018 miles this year (we did the same thing in 2017)- it's fun to see how much we are all running each week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter