• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

I stayed at the hotel del long before the GF, and while they are similar, the lobby at GF seemed a bit gaudy in comparison to the much smaller (but giant in its time I am sure) del and the little old man running the elevator. The winter beach ice rink was bizarre to me (I skate outside, but never on a beach!), but my husband is lobbying to take our kids for Christmas someday. It has more recently been acquired by Hilton, so I’m all for it if we can use hotel points for the stay. We spent time in the pool, we hung out on the beach- for enough $$ they will build you a beach fire stocked with chairs, a bucket of marshmallows, chocolate, & graham crackers and another of champagne. We had stopped at Stone Brewing (and several others) and brought our own drinks as we are fancy, but not that fancy. You could just visit, they have a restaurant, a bar with meh beer (the local brewery’s orange wheat was the best choice), and an ice cream place that was lovely.

I’m pretty sure I can just split my time in SD stopping for fish tacos everywhere and hanging in Balboa Park. The vegetation is just so different than home, I love it!

I love some Rubio's fish taco's

I don’t travel for work anymore so I don’t rack up many points. I booked Best Western Plus, on the northern side. It’s 2 miles from the stadium parking and I got a good rate. DH will probably go watch me start then head back to the room (since I take 6 hours lol) so wanted something outside the course/closed roads etc. Hopefully they will have the free trolly from the stadium running all day so he can come back and watch me finish! :)
My wife is hoping they offer either a welcome dinner or a pre-race race retreat area.

And if anyone ever wondered when I run most days. It's 10:43pm and I just finished my 7+ miles. Zzzzzz
Ughhh! that's late. I'd struggle to fall asleep with that.

ATQOTD: Mickey Premium Bar for me as well!

For the previous QOTD: I ran a 5K in Evanston IL over Thanksgiving and ran along the lake shore through Northwestern's campus and that was a pretty run. Very cool seeing the Chicago skyline as well as Lake Michigan.

And and older QOTD: I ran last summer through POR and POFQ and really enjoyed it, although I did notice a few smokers sitting on benches along the running path, and that wasn't so enjoyable :crazy2:

ATTQOTD: Regular, buttered popcorn. 4 more weeks until I’ll have a box in hand :lovestruc

@LSUlakes I use spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles (zoodles) for my low-carb dishes. Last weekend I made shrimp lo Mein with spaghetti squash. It was so good and so easy. I also do shrimp scampi or a carbonara with spaghetti squash. I also do a lot of “bowls” and my favorite right now is fish taco in a bowl using broccoli slaw as a base. Then you can have fun with the seasoning and sauce.

I’m not sure about which cookies are really best. If you will send me a variety of oatmeal-raisin, chocolate chip, peanut butter, white chocolate macadamia nut, carrot cake, coconut, wedding cookies or whatever you are making, I’ll be glad to taste-test all of them and give you a final vote on which is the best. :dogdance::rotfl2:
I may hold you to this.... hahahaha. I tend to over bake.

I use spaghetti squash
My husband made me spaghetti squash for the first time last week and I didn't hate it! I am super picky, too!

@roxymama You have had a lot of great suggestions, but I don't think I saw anyone mention my favorite beach in San Diego: Mission Beach!! Love their boardwalk/arcade area and awesome roller coaster!
belmont-park.jpg

ATTQOTD: Good lord I don't know if I could pick just one!! It's a toss up between popcorn, Mickey's Premium Ice Cream Sandwich, and churros! If the Mickey Pretzels were better that would be up there too because I like anything I can dip in nacho cheese.

ATTQOTD:

I’ll slightly switch the question and say that since not all parks have the same options, I would make Les Halles available in each park. It’s my favorite place to snack in the parks and I can always find something new and interesting or an old favorite.

If the draconian rules must be enforced, I’d go with the palmier:
A7A27B7D-9EF7-4E4A-8386-6860CD607844.jpeg
Again credit to Disney Food Blog.

Can’t beat the cinnamon-sugary, chocolaty, flaky goodness.

ETA: Since Disney Springs isn’t technically a park, I’ll add the Holiday Poutine with turkey and cranberry relish from the Daily Poutine as a bonus.
54DD9681-75B8-41E3-B318-21ECA7F2FDC7.jpeg
Again from Disney Food Blog

Only a snack when it’s shared.

Last edited:
Do you like eggs? You could make egg muffins or crustless quiche with your favorite toppings (I'd go mushrooms, bacon, green chilis and olives). Those little egg muffins freeze well and are great for breakfast or lunch.

Love eggs, not muffins though lol. I am really picky and its kinda a problem. My buddy has some chickens and usually I get a dozen or two a month from him. The dark yolk just makes for a better tasting egg imo. Also had my first double yolk last weekend. I was excited to see that. Back on subject, eggs are delicious and the quiche sounds like a good idea!

Fun Friday QOTD: Since we have a lot of cookie talk this week, lets stay on a food topic. You are allowed to eat only one snack from the parks, but you are allowed to eat it as many times as you want. What do you choose?
Well, since I am wearing my Will run for Mickey bars runDisney shirt today, I am gonna have to say the Mickey bar. Close second is Mickey Gummies, but I love me that ice cream bar!

Does anyone have a recipe for a low carb meal that the main protein is not chicken or beans. I feel like I am always eating chicken and I just dont like beans! I'm kinda of a picky eater....

How picky? For protein we eat eggs, fish, pork, ground turkey, lamb, veal, beef and chicken. I find most of my recipes on cookinglight.com or allrecipes.com. This is what we are having for dinner tonight, but with chicken breast instead of thighs http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-chicken-thighs-0

ATTQOTD: I can only choose one? Gah! Hmmm.....create your own Mickey rice crispy treat from Goofy's Candy Co.

I have not had Disney Poutine yet. Last time I had poutine was in Quebec in 2016 and it was made with rabbit. OMG so good!

ATTQOTD: Ice cream and popcorn are our go to snacks, but if I had to pick just one it's going to be the Mickey ice cream bar.

@roxymama We did San Diego a few years ago with the kids and had a blast. Absolutely loved the zoo and safari park!!! In addition we did Sea World, LEGOLAND, and a tour of the USS Midway. We also really enjoyed watching the sea lions in La Jolla and exploring the beach at Cabrillo National Monument.

@LSUlakes I have a race to add:

October 6 - michigandergirl - GRR Runway 5K - NG

I'll be running that one with my oldest son who very likely could beat me now, even with little training.

I am not a fan of poutine. I like gravy, but I want ketchup on my fries. Heinz. Do not give me any off brand stuff like Hunt's, or even worse, the homemade stuff that some of our local restaurants started making.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter