• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I have a Nathan waterbottle with the hand strap. I carry it on runs longer than 5 miles usually. If it's cooler I may just use water, but I live on the gulf coast so I often fill the bottle halfway with gatorade and half way with water.

ATTQOTD:
Where I learn about races - I use RunningintheUSA and I use Ultrasignup. I really like Ultrasignup because it does a great job of tallying your results over time. Also it shares lots of races at the (and not) ultra distance.

Hydration- I use a Nathan hydration vest if I am going out beyond 10-12 miles and use a simple hand-held for runs beyond 6 miles or runs in the heat. I use either water or Tailwind; usually a combination of both. When it is a summer scorcher (is that a word?) I will replace water with powerade.

I sweat a *lot* even while walking, and am prone to quickly developing headaches/dizzy spells when dehydrated, so anything > 10k, I'll use my camelbak. (For 10miles/half marathon, I also bring along some gatorade chews). 5k/10k I'll probably carry a bottle of water along. Especially in the hotter months around here, staying hydrated is critical -- even late into the year. The Baltimore Running Festival was in late October last year, and it was so hot and humid that runners were dropping like flies. Debilitating cramps, heat stroke, you name it. I took water and gatorade at each station and still drained my camelbak, and was never more thankful for it...I may have to pee more often than those not carrying fluids, but I'd rather play it safe and have something along in case I need it. (Plus, as a back-of-the-pack walker, some races have closed things down ahead of their posted time, I find it safest to bring along everything with me).

Wow how did this thread get so long already. @LSUlakes here are my races in 2018

Jan
04 - Dopeyintraining - WDW 5K (NG / 0:48:30) Dopey
05 - Dopeyintraining - WDW 10K (NG / 1:31:56) Dopey
06 - Dopeyintraining - WDW Half Marathon (NG / 3:10:14) Dopey
07 - Dopeyintraining - WDW Marathon (Finish / 6:25:326) Dopey

Apr
15 - Dopeyintraining - Resolution run 15k (PR / NA)

Sept
21 - Dopeyintraining - Disneyland Paris 5K (NG / NA)
22 - Dopeyintraining - Disneyland Paris 10K (NG / NA)
23 - Dopeyintraining - Disneyland Paris-Val d’Europe Half Marathon (NG / NA)

Well, it happened...I’m officially registered for my first marathon!

10/7 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

No time goal yet, and not sure if I’ll make one, but we’ll see how the next few months go. I’m excited about this race because I’ve heard such great things about it. :)

I like the talk about hydration options, because I’ll need something once summer runs return!

party:

QOTD: Do you run carrying water or a sports drink of any sort? Does the distance / time of your run play into the decision? What hydration system do you use?
Yes. In the summer I will carry a Nathan handheld water bottle if it's sunny and hot even for some shorter distances. Otherwise I carry a camelback for long training runs. Usually 8+ miles in spring/fall/winter but less than that for summer.

QOTD: Do you run carrying water or a sports drink of any sort? Does the distance / time of your run play into the decision? What hydration system do you use?

ATTQOTD: I do run with a fuel belt, but only for runs lasting over a hour. In the summer I may use it for 45 minute runs, but mot of the time it's for long runs. I use the Amphipod RunLite Snapflask 4 Hydration Belt. I rarely take all 4 bottles with me because most of the time two will work on the routes I run as I have plenty of places to refill as needed.

If I am on the treadmill I bring my water bottle most times. For runs in the road in won't bring water (Nathan water belt) unless it is 8+ miles, unless there is extreme heat or humidity. I tend to stay well hydrated all the time so I can do 6-7 miles without anything. I don't do sports drinks, they bother my stomach. I do have Nuun tabs for my water if needed but have only used them during full marathons so far.

QOTD: This morning we got to experience a rare event in the skies. A super blue blood moon! As NASA states, a trifecta of events. Todays question is did you see it this morning? Did you see it while out on a run? Any other cool type of space related events have you seen while out on a run? Seeing the space station, a comet, ect?

ATTQOTD: I did not go for a run this morning, but I did get to see the eclipse this morning as DD and I left the house. She was excited about it, and then wanted to know why the moon was missing. These type of events get the little wheels turning in her head and she ask 1,000 questions lol. Good times! I've run a few times late at night and have seen a few shooting stars but nothing overly exciting.

We live farther east in Atlanta, so the moon was pretty much setting when the good stuff was happening. Adding to this was the only place in the entire sky that had clouds was the western horizon. That made viewing a little difficult as well.

To start of the month of February we have the following folks with races over the weekend:

February
03 - @michigandergirl - Groundhog Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
03 - @KSellers88 - Super Bowl 5k (NG / N/A)
03 - @Sanchez - Save the Light Half Marathon (1:38:00 / N/A)
03 - @gjramsey - Katy Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
03 - @baxter24 - Krispy Kreme Challenge (NG / N/A)
03 - @PrincessMickey - Back the Blue 5k (35:00 / N/A)
04 - @JulieODC - Super Sunday 5 Miler (NG / N/A)
04 - kathymford - Redondo Beach Super Bowl Sunday 5k (NG / N/A)

If you would like to adjust your goal or some other type of change please let me know. If someone has a race they would like to add to the weekend list, also let me know. Best of luck to each of you this weekend and we look forward to hearing how your race goes!

Last edited:
To start of the month of February we have the following folks with races over the weekend:

February
02 - @evre13 - NYRR Gridiron 4 Miler (NG / N/A)
03 - @michigandergirl - Groundhog Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
03 - @KSellers88 - Super Bowl 5k (NG / N/A)
03 - @Sanchez - Save the Light Half Marathon (1:38:00 / N/A)
03 - @gjramsey - Katy Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
03 - @baxter24 - Krispy Kreme Challenge (NG / N/A)
03 - @PrincessMickey - Back the Blue 5k (35:00 / N/A)
04 - @JulieODC - Super Sandy 5 Miler (NG / N/A)

If you would like to adjust your goal or some other type of change please let me know. If someone has a race they would like to add to the weekend list, also let me know. Best of luck to each of you this weekend and we look forward to hearing how your race goes!

I'm actually no longer running because my doctor told me not to (sad I won't get to see you @SarahDisney!) while my back is still healing. :(

I didn’t even think to look this morning! No other space-related events for me, but I did capture a nice pic of the moon over the Boardwalk area a few weeks ago during an early morning run at WDW!

abi9aw.jpg

Also, I bet my phone autocorrected when I shard my race this weekend. It’s actually the Super Sunday 5 miler (cancer charity race on Super Bowl Sunday). Go Pats! :yay:

Wow how did this thread get so long already. @LSUlakes here are my races in 2018

Jan
04 - Dopeyintraining - WDW 5K (NG / 0:48:30) Dopey
05 - Dopeyintraining - WDW 10K (NG / 1:31:56) Dopey
06 - Dopeyintraining - WDW Half Marathon (NG / 3:10:14) Dopey
07 - Dopeyintraining - WDW Marathon (Finish / 6:25:326) Dopey

Apr
15 - Dopeyintraining - Resolution run 15k (PR / NA)

Sept
21 - Dopeyintraining - Disneyland Paris 5K (NG / NA)
22 - Dopeyintraining - Disneyland Paris 10K (NG / NA)
23 - Dopeyintraining - Disneyland Paris-Val d’Europe Half Marathon (NG / NA)

Got your races added to the list. Your statement had me curious how we are doing on this thread compared to last year. On Jan. 31, 2017 we had reached pg 59, so we are currently a few pages ahead of last years thread!

Totally missed even checking for the moon because I thought it was going to be tonight. I didn't realize when they said the 31st that meant this morning :(

ATTQOTD: I forgot all about the moon! I don't really have a safe place to run in the dark so I don't get to see any space events. I'm just happy to live in an area again where I can see stars when I go out in the backyard. There was too much light pollution where we lived in South Florida.

ATTQOTD: I remembered this morning, but it was 28° and I didn’t feel like walking outside, lol. However, I always check the lock on the back door before I go to bed at night, and I noticed a bright light on the deck. I thought our outside lights were on, but no, it was the moon! So cool.

As far as on runs, I don’t think I’ve noticed any space/sky phenomenons. Apparently we can see launches from Wallops Island at home, but I never remember to go look.

QOTD: This morning we got to experience a rare event in the skies. A super blue blood moon! As NASA states, a trifecta of events. Todays question is did you see it this morning? Did you see it while out on a run? Any other cool type of space related events have you seen while out on a run? Seeing the space station, a comet, ect?
Nope. I like my sleep.

I’ve never seen anything space related on a run that I can recall.

ATTQOTD: Nope. Saw the super big, bright, full moon last night, then completely forgot about the lunar eclipse this morning until I got to work and opened my Twitter feed up on my computer and saw all the pics from the local news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter