The Running Thread - 2018

Regarding running pants/shorts/skirts’ pockets:
I went for my long run last weekend and, because it was warmer, just had my long running pants and long sleeves tech shirts. That meant no jacket pockets but I realised my long pants had two pockets on the thighs, one zip pocket on the back and one little waist inside pocket. I found it great to be able to put my phone, fuel, card, keys where they belonged and nothing moved. So I went shopping for the summer equivalent capri but could only find two (one Nike with one mesh pocket and one NB), both of which were made of thick material. Any suggestions for alternative pants/shorts/skirt? I have other type of carriers (belt, armband...) that is not what I am looking for.
Lululemon has a bunch of crops with pockets. These are my favourite.
https://shop.lululemon.com/p/women-crops/Pace-Rival-Crop/_/prod7050001?color=0001

So ... question. Being a lightly independent person (or as independent as one can be when living with my parents), I don't have to justify my spending to anyone. How do I decide when to go out to dinner? Is it any time I buy shoes? Or do the shoes have to be on sale?
Anytime you dang well feel like it! ;)

QOTD: Motivation.... Who picks you up when your motivation lacks?
Motivation is a funny thing. I have told my husband that I appreciate his encouragement and support, so when I say I don't want to run he'll usually use my own line of "I've got goals!" against me. And it works. :) Telling someone that you are going to run that day and having them remind you definitely works.

I went for my long run last weekend and, because it was warmer, just had my long running pants and long sleeves tech shirts. That meant no jacket pockets but I realized my long pants had two pockets on the thighs, one zip pocket on the back and one little waist inside pocket. I found it great to be able to put my phone, fuel, card, keys where they belonged and nothing moved. So I went shopping for the summer equivalent capri but could only find two (one Nike with one mesh pocket and one NB), both of which were made of thick material. Any suggestions for alternative pants/shorts/skirt? I have other type of carriers (belt, armband...) that is not what I am looking for.
As I cannot seem to drop the $$ on clothes without trying them on first, Athleta & lululemon are the locally available brands. Athleta has several skirts & crops with hip/thigh pockets as well as a key pocket. I prefer the Relay line as they are higher than the other pockets, more of a side/hip pocket and less total movement than a thigh pocket. I found I am more particular on the pocket placement than I would have thought- I was so excited to get a pair of patagonia tights for winter running due to their coziness and the pocket, but I hate the pocket and my (comparatively tiny) phone often bounced right out of it. I did not love the lululemon capris because of where they hit on my calf and returned them.

The recent memory of my preschoolers riding bikes and telling me I need to lace up my running shoes to keep up with them kept me going for much of the miserable winter. It is more of short sprints than a long steady run chasing them! Staying healthy and keeping up with them is a large part of why I started running in the first place.

Good question....most of time it is this burning fire inside me. I think of my kids a lot when I run. I think of my parents who died early from poor health. I think of growing up overweight most of the time, not athletically inclined at all. I think of the great people I have met through my running journey. I think of being active in my future old age days and how I never want to stop doing this. Sometimes, I think of a big IPA later after a good long run (I already have my eye on my after Boston drink).

There are many moments when I WANT to be motivated, but it just isn't happening. I force myself to go through the motions, waiting for the motivation to kick in again. Sometimes it takes awhile (like coming back from injury) and sometimes, bam, I am excited to do this again.

ATTQOTD: I'd love to do a challenge outside of runDisney, but want a unique experience. Vacation Races has some cool stuff through national parks which include a 5K then a half the following day.

I completed the Appalachian Triple Challenge last year through Vacation Races - Shenandoah Half one weekend followed the next weekend by the Great Smoky Mountains 5K on Friday and the half on Saturday. Both of the half-marathons were beautiful courses. I really want to try some of their other races.

I am sure this has come up in this board before, but what does everybody do with their running shoes after they can’t wear them for running anymore? I hate to just throw them away for some reason but they are too gross to hand down.

I have nowhere I can donate them to be reconditioned in town and have gotten into a habit strategically timing their mileage with a destination race. Then I don't bring them home.

So ... question. Being a lightly independent person (or as independent as one can be when living with my parents), I don't have to justify my spending to anyone. How do I decide when to go out to dinner? Is it any time I buy shoes? Or do the shoes have to be on sale?

Others may disagree, but I think they have to be on sale. Then you can treat yourself with the savings!

I went for my long run last weekend and, because it was warmer, just had my long running pants and long sleeves tech shirts. That meant no jacket pockets but I realised my long pants had two pockets on the thighs, one zip pocket on the back and one little waist inside pocket. I found it great to be able to put my phone, fuel, card, keys where they belonged and nothing moved. So I went shopping for the summer equivalent capri but could only find two (one Nike with one mesh pocket and one NB), both of which were made of thick material. Any suggestions for alternative pants/shorts/skirt? I have other type of carriers (belt, armband...) that is not what I am looking for.

I just bought a couple of pairs of "Up for Anything Crops" from Athleta. The side pockets work well and are easily accessible. I have several Sparkle Skirts that I tend to only wear for races, but I also have a pair of Sparkle Bottoms, which are just the shorts.

I am sure this has come up in this board before, but what does everybody do with their running shoes after they can’t wear them for running anymore?
My running shoes usually still look new-ish when I need to retire them, so they go to Goodwill. I use a totally different kind of shoe for walking around than running, so I never retire running shoes to everyday use.

Touringplans folks, lets say for some reason you either do not have the app or a smart phone, how far in advance before a trip would you print out your plans and feel they should be accurate enough?
As close to the trip as possible, as TP's data/calculations/predictions update constantly. But FWIW, I've been using their personalized plans since inception - I use them digitally through the app now, but spent many years using printed paper versions, and I don't find a huge variance between using them on the go vs. something created/finalized a couple days out.

Last night I purchased ON Cloudflash racing flats for 5 and 10k races. Any reviews on the brand and/or the flats? For shorter races do you prefer flats?
I tried ON's once, but they weren't for me. Generally, yes, I prefer a lighter shoe for racing short distances, though I don't use actual racing flats (I use Newtons).

My question is, if I want an app to record my running, what is the best one to use for manual entry of runs? I used to use LFConnect, but they recently updated the app and I can't log a run longer than 99 minutes and 99 seconds (go figure).
I use Runkeeper, the free version, to manually record runs. Quick, easy, keeps a lengthy history.

Any suggestions for alternative pants/shorts/skirt? I have other type of carriers (belt, armband...) that is not what I am looking for.
I only wear skirts/capris/tights with pockets! For capris, either Athleta (Be Free or Relay models) or Skirt Sports (Pocketopia) are my favorites. All of my skirts are from Skirt Sports - the Lioness has two leg pockets and a back zip pocket, while the Jette and Gym Girl Ultra have just the two leg pockets. (They make other skirts, too, but those 3 are the ones I wear.)

Skirt Sports (Pocketopia) are my favorites. All of my skirts are from Skirt Sports - the Lioness has two leg pockets and a back zip pocket, while the Jette and Gym Girl Ultra have just the two leg pockets. (They make other skirts, too, but those 3 are the ones I wear.)
Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting a running skirt but so far the only one I've found that I like is LuLuLemon and $$$ but I like these. Do the little grippers on the shorts do a good job of keeping them in place/not riding up? That's my BIGGEST problem with shorts.

Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting a running skirt but so far the only one I've found that I like is LuLuLemon and $$$ but I like these. Do the little grippers on the shorts do a good job of keeping them in place/not riding up? That's my BIGGEST problem with shorts.
I used to avoid the grippy thingies like the plague because I was convinced they'd be uncomfortable! But my friend is a Skirt Sports Ambassador and finally convinced me to try one of the Lioness skirts that has the grippy thingies... SO comfortable! They do their job, but I don't feel them at all. Skirt Sports has somehow managed to make legs that are tight enough to stay put, but no so tight they dig in. That was the end for me: I'm now a Skirt Sports addict, lol!

I would say DH keeps me motivated. But if he pushes too hard, it usually bites him in the butt- haha!

I like SparkleSkirts for the pockets. I have a pair of the capris and like them too. The drawstring is a loop which is really annoying so I haven't bought more, but then someone said the new ones don't have that drawstring- it is normal. I wish I would have known that before the sale!

On the other side of the spectrum, I ran Tuesday night and was like, oh boy. This is going to be one of my last evening runs. It was 89 and the sun was blazing! I prefer mornings anyway, but don't like to run in the dark. Now that the sun is up enough by 5:45 or so... I can switch back- and did today! I just did a quick 2, but it was really nice out- probably low 60s! My 10K on Saturday is Run the Runway- so it is on the runway at a local airport. I haven't done it before, but I am assuming no shade. It doesn't start till 7:35... so I am hoping it isn't too hot towards the end! The low for Sat is 68, which I figure will be before race time and climbing.

I am sure this has come up in this board before, but what does everybody do with their running shoes after they can’t wear them for running anymore?

I have a hierarchy of old running shoes:
Casual knock around shoes
'Clean' work shoes
'Messy' work shoes, reserved for mud, cutting the grass, painting, etc.
After that they go to the recycle bin at the Nike store

Every time I retire an active pair, they all get demoted in the hierarchy:
Current running shoes become casual shoes, casual shoes become clean work shoes...

ATTQOTD: not a 'who', but a 'what'. Fear: fear of getting old, or maybe it's fear of not getting old, fear of gaining weight, fear of getting slow(er), fear of no more PRs, fear of not being able to run anymore.

To put a positive spin on it, it's really the thought: 'You better keep doing this while you can.'

DH is my running buddy. He is good at the motivation part. Wasn't really feeling like running yesterday - raining, high of 35, but he was like nope, we should go so we did.
Way to go! I totally would have skipped that! I have figured out how to deal with snow, but not rain (or the sleet we had yesterday). Do you change your gear in some fashion?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter