The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: At what distance do you call a run a long run? This answer will vary based on the race you are training for, so let us know what distance you are training for in you answer. There is no right or wrong answer here, just curious how everyone looks at the weekend long runs.

Well, since I’ve decided I’m a 10K kinda gal, and stopped beating myself up over the FOMO each DISNEY race weekend, I’d would say any distance over 6 Miles is a long run for me. I run a 5K distance around 3x a week to keep up with cardio and training.

QOTD: At what distance do you call a run a long run? This answer will vary based on the race you are training for, so let us know what distance you are training for in you answer. There is no right or wrong answer here, just curious how everyone looks at the weekend long runs.

Outside of marathon training I consider anything over 10 miles a "long run". If I'm in marathon training mode my long runs usually start at week 1 at 13 miles so I go with that.

ATTQOTD - Long runs have a specific purpose in my training plans, and while they are always the longest run of the week, they are (more importantly) the single run of my training week specifically designed to increase my endurance. I am at 8 miles right now, but increasing dramatically over the next few months as I train for the NYC Virtual Marathon on Nov. 4th. I am following a new training plan put together by RUNtrix which has my longest long run at 21 miles.

In other news: my monthly mileage. I did not hit my goal this month, but that is largely because I decided to run the NYC virtual and use their training plan. Their training plan starts at a lower mileage than I had planned for myself. Add the kidney stone (which I still have not passed o_O) and my July mileage stands at 90.59 miles. This plan has me at 131 miles for August - let's see how that goes.

And, hey, who knows - maybe I'll pass this kidney stone so I can get a good night's sleep again. :headache:

6+ miles is a long run to me. It also depends what you’re training for.

Currently my longest run during the week is 3.5 miles. Mainly because I have been super lazy this summer. Plans to change that as we head into the cooler fall.

I haven't signed up for it (yet) but what do you guys think of this for a race.

Each lap is two miles. First lap must be done in 25 minutes or you are eliminated from the course (easy peasy), second lap must be done in 24 minutes, third lap 23 minutes and so on.
Last runner standing.

That sounds like a fun a interesting run. Do you get to rest after each loop. For example you finish lap one in 20 minutes, do you get to chill for 4 minutes before taking off again, or do you just keep going?

ATTQOTD: For me, my longest run of the week is my long run. Some weeks my long run is 4-5 miles, other weeks it's 10 miles. But whatever I'm training for, whatever distance I'm running, my long run is the longest run of the week.
Same here!

I guess it's all how fast you are for that 2 mile loop race. :D I could probably really push and make it through the first lap without being eliminated but I'd probably be eliminated after the second one.

Anything 10 miles or greater, I consider a long run. Something about double-digits makes it a nice starting point to be considered a "long run."

Lots of things in 1 post:
ATTQOTD: Short answer, no mater what distance I'm training for: 9 miles. Long answer: Saturday has always been long run day for me. So what ever I do on Saturday is a long run. On my latest marathon plan (which I'm repeating), I did some 13 milers during the week, but since they weren't on Saturday, I did not consider them a long run. So my long run may not even be my longest run of the week.

July Totals: 121.57 at 9:32 average pace. My average pace is dropping now that I'm back on a plan.

Today is day one of retirement!
Thought #1: The outpouring of praise and thanks was amazing. If I'd have know those guys thought that highly of me, I might not have call it quits. Even when you think people don't notice, they notice.
Thought #2: My job included a non-stop bombardment of emails, PMs, calls, and texts. Today, the silence is amazing.
Thought #3: I won't go into all the details, but due to comments I made and hazing by my teammates, I ate 10 bananas in one hour on my last day in the office.

ATTQOTD: I have "long runs" and "cut-back long runs" in my training schedule vocabulary. In a two-week cycle, "long runs" are the every-other-week ones that increase in distance as I work toward race distance. "Cut-back long runs" on the other weeks are also long runs in the sense that they are longer than my mid-week short runs, but "cut-back long runs" start at 6 miles and increase to be half(ish) the distance of the next "long run." So right now, while I'm just maintaining a summer base, my cut-back long runs are 6 miles and my long runs are 9-10 miles. By the time I do my final marathon training runs, the cut-back long run will be 11-12 miles and the long run will be 20-22 miles.

ETA: typos. Typos everywhere.

Last edited:
Lots of things in 1 post:
ATTQOTD: Short answer, no mater what distance I'm training for: 9 miles. Long answer: Saturday has always been long run day for me. So what ever I do on Saturday is a long run. On my latest marathon plan (which I'm repeating), I did some 13 milers during the week, but since they weren't on Saturday, I did not consider them a long run. So my long run may not even be my longest run of the week.

July Totals: 121.57 at 9:32 average pace. My average pace is dropping now that I'm back on a plan.

Today is day one of retirement!
Thought #1: The outpouring of praise and thanks was amazing. If I'd have know those guys thought that highly of me, I might not have call it quits. Even when you think people don't notice, they notice.
Thought #2: My job included a non-stop bombardment of emails, PMs, calls, and texts. Today, the silence is amazing.
Thought #3: I won't go into all the details, but due to comments I made and hazing by my teammates, I ate 10 bananas in one hour on my last day in the office.

Congrats on the retirement and hope you enjoy it! You now have plenty of time to comment on the DIS! However, you cant leave us hanging on thought #3. It's gotta be a good story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter