The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: When do you buy new shoes? Do you wait until your old shoes are retired before buying new shoes? Do you buy new shoes before you retire the old ones? Do you just buy shoes when they're on sale whether or not you need them? And if you do buy new shoes before your old ones are retired, do you start using them right away or wait until the old ones are retired?
(For those of you still on your first pair of shoes, feel free to either tell us what you're thinking of doing in the future or just sit back and take in the responses)

Great question @SarahDisney!
I used to buy shoes when the old ones were worn out. I put 1600 miles on my first pair of Brooks Glycerines which in hindsight, maybe I held on to them too long.

Now I have 4 or 5 pairs of shoes that I rotate throughout the week. I track the mileage on Strava and will retire them when they get in the 350-400 mile range or if I start noticing discomfort. I get emails from Active.com every day and typically they advertise shoes for sale. Got a great pair of Saucony Breakthru 3's for sale earlier this summer, and just bought a new pair of Saucony that are still NIB but ready to make their debut later this week.

I don't seem to have a good long distance comfort/cushioned shoe right now. I have a pair of Brooks that I use exclusively for marathon day and nothing else but it's time to retire them and find a replacement. Anyone have a good suggestion for a long distance, neutral, well cushioned shoe similar to the Glycerines?

Catching up on a week's worth of questions.

QOTD: Have you ever taken a fall during a race or training run? If so describe the injury and let us know if you finished the run, called it a day, needed to take a few days off, ect...

ATTQOTD: I have not fallen during a run before. Hopefully, that continues although I did take a nasty fall last summer walking to the beach. Tripped off the curb.

QOTD:
If you have to miss a run for whatever reason, what do you do? Do you move everything back a day, make it up on a rest day, run a double, or just move forward with your plan?

I tend to just skip it although I will try and move it to a rest day if possible. The goal is to not skip multiple days in a row.

QOTD: Do you have a rule or guideline you go by to increase weekly mileage? How about for your long run distance?

ATTQOTD: No plan. I just go by feel, how the weather is, how much time I have. This is not the best strategy, but it works for now.

It's finally Friday, and that can only mean one thing... It's time for our Fun Friday QOTD: At WDW, what is your favorite and least favorite character meal? Which ones you havent done, but are planning to do in the next couple of months

ATTFFQOTD: Best -
CP - Food is nothing to write home about, but I love Pooh and the gang. (dinner)
Cape May Cafe - Food is pretty decent and its fun to see the characters in their beach attire. (breakfast)
1900 Park Fair - I think the food is very good here and we really enjoy the characters (breakfast)

Worst -
CRT - the Castle was cool, but the food left a lot to be desired. (Breakfast)
TH - I just don't like the food options here. (dinner)
CM - we all know why (dinner)

Want to try - Bon Voyage

QOTD: Lets talk about running and headaches today. If you have a headache are you able to run with it? How often do you get them and whats the best methods for getting rid of them?

ATTQOTD: I will run with a headache. Most of the time, mine are due to dehydration. The worst is running on the treadmill with a headache. The pounding just seems so much worse, like I feel every step. If takign water after a run does not help, I pop an Advil and that takes care of it. Luckily, it does not happen often.

With @LSUlakes MIA (probably busy with work or family stuff is my guess :)), I'll jump in with a QOTD.

QOTD: When do you buy new shoes? Do you wait until your old shoes are retired before buying new shoes? Do you buy new shoes before you retire the old ones? Do you just buy shoes when they're on sale whether or not you need them? And if you do buy new shoes before your old ones are retired, do you start using them right away or wait until the old ones are retired?
(For those of you still on your first pair of shoes, feel free to either tell us what you're thinking of doing in the future or just sit back and take in the responses)

ATTQOTD: I don't track mileage on my shoes, but go by feel. Usually, once I start to feel them going, I will start looking. Generally, I am looking for a deal. I just bought new shoes - normally they are $110, but I got them $60 so I could not pass that deal up. I probably won't break them out until next month.

ATTQOTD: I usually have 2/3 pairs in rotation for training runs and one just for speed work. I usually go between 250 and 300 before retiring a pair. Sometimes earlier if I don't like the way the shoe is working out! My oldest son is usually the recipient of the retired shoes....

I currently have two pairs sitting in the closest waiting their turn.

I usually buy the previous years model (2 or 3 at a time in different colors). Right now, training in Brooks Glycerin 15s and Levitate 1s. Speed work and race shoe is the NB Zante and, thanks to the link, there might be some more on the way to my house soon....

ATTQOTD: When we delve into these kinds of questions is when I learn the most about y'all and how little I actually might know about running and safety (is that the right term?). When people say they have different shoes for different training days (long run vs speed work) I am always so intrigued by how you even come to what shoe works best for different runs, etc. ANYWAY, I do own multiple pairs of shoes, but this is a new 2018 thing for me. I used to be a one pair runner but I also never trained as hard as I do now, so I have never really had to think about this too much. I aim for anywhere between 400-500 miles a pair before maybe retiring them. If they aren't bothering me, I will just do shorter runs on them. I have a new back up pair ready to go that I might give a few runs in and then wear them for my race in 18 days (!!!). Otherwise, I will buy a new pair of shoes if they are a) on sale and b) super cute.

ATTQOTD: Like others, I have a shoe rotation. I have used Brooks Ravenna 6, 7, and 8 since 2015. On that model, I have gotten between 400-450 miles per shoe. I am a midfoot striker and pronate so I use Superfeet Black inserts. I track my shoes through Garmin Connect and also on my massive data intensive spreadsheet. Even with all the tracking, I can tell when the shoes are nearing the end as I tend to get some slight pain in my shins. I keep 3-4 pairs in rotation through training and try to give each pair of shoes at least a day of rest between runs. To keep the cost down, I am always watching for the new model to come out. Once that happens, you can find some really good deals on last year's model (half price in some cases). Once you find a shoe that works, I say stick with it. Also, keep in mind that new versions of a shoe can be different. I have experienced that with the Ravenna. Make sure to give your body time to adjust to any differences in the shoes before attempting a long run. On a new pair of shoes, I try to keep training runs to 4 miles or less until I get 30-40 miles on them just to make sure they are broken in.

My first pair of Brooks were the Ghost 8 and they lasted me longer than any other shoe I have ever owned. I bought the Ghost 9 without even trying them on, I told the guy at the store that I love my 8's and I know I will love these. He tried to protest but I walked out with them. I knew they were different from the 8s right away but my pride/shame wouldn't let me bring them back after insisting I didn't need to try them on. I've been trying to stick with Brooks after that great initial experience with the Brooks 8 but I might just go crawling back to the Asics Nimbus which I had worn for about 5 years prior.

I wore brooks up until they came out with the ghost 8. It just wasn’t the same shoe and didn’t fit my foot properly. They were awfully narrow even in a wide width. I changed to the Glycerin. Well then they changed the Glycerin. The top of my foot wouldn’t fit properly in the shoe. It looked like my foot was trying to squeeze through between the laces. The Ghosts were still too narrow so I ended up in New Balance. Someone posted that the ghost changed again and they added the width back to the toe box. I needed new shoes so I gave them a try and now that’s what I wear again!

ATTQOTD: I bought 4 pairs of Asics Nimbus 19 when they were on clearance at Running Warehouse. They are $159 retail and I got them for $65. I wanted to make sure I trained in the same shoe I was going to use to run the marathon. I usually keep 2 in rotation. I just hit 500 miles on the first pair and will be retiring them - although I ran in them yesterday and they are still in pretty good shape and still feel comfy. My second pair has about 150 miles on them. I recently bought 1 more pair to make sure I have 2 pretty fresh pairs when marathon weekend rolls around. The 19's are getting very hard to find now in my size so I am hoping the 20's go on sale soon or perhaps I will try something new after this group gets retired. I won't pay full retail for any shoe.

Last edited:

ATTQOTD: I get new ones when:
1. I find then for a good price
2. The old ones seem to not work as well, regardless of the mileage they have
3. When I find a new design/color I like
4. When I have extra cash and nothing to do with it (ha! This one rarely happens)

That said I got fitted for the Hoka Arahi 2s I have now, but lately they don't feel as good as they used to. Mileage-wise they are still in good shape but I'm debating getting fitted for another shoe or buying another pair of Arahi. If I get another pair of Arahi I would probably use those for the longer runs and the older ones for the shorter runs.

With @LSUlakes MIA (probably busy with work or family stuff is my guess :)), I'll jump in with a QOTD.

ATTQOTD: I generally have only one pair of running shoes in use at a time. When they start getting toward the end of their life AND if I liked them, then I see if I can find the same pair online and just buy another pair. If I didn't like them or they are discontinued, then I plan several hours to go to the local running store and try on various pairs on their treadmill. I have wide feet, high arches, and high insteps, but once I find a pair that I can actually fit my foot into, I'm not actually that picky. I have never felt the need to break in my shoes - I do try not to wear them for the first time for my longest run of the week.

With my typical mileage, I'm getting new shoes approximately every 6 months, which often works out to "after my big race" since I tend to race about twice a year. I usually get new custom insoles at the same time.

ATTQOTD: my shoes wear out one of two ways the tread near the ball of my foot wears out, or the heel blows out. When either one of those starts to show its face, it's time to buy new shoes. I finally got fitted for "real" running shoes with the last pair I bought (Saucony Ride), and found I was wearing the wrong size (I needed a wider but smaller size) . I will probably try a different pair with my next purchase, the Saucony's are too cushioned for my liking, my previous shoes were much less cushioned.

I currently mainly run in Fresh Foam Vongo right now.
Oh, oh, oh another Vongo wearer! There aren't many of us out there, I don't think. FYI, I just got the v3s, and they are dreeeeeaaaaaamy!

I am always so intrigued by how you even come to what shoe works best for different runs, etc.
In my case, I prefer running in a lightweight, flexible shoe that offers lots of ground contact, but I need more support and cushion for long runs. So I compromise and have a shoe that's fun to run fast, but short distances, in, and a different shoe for everything else. Once a week, I get to play in the fun shoe, and the rest of the time I plod along in the shoe that keeps me healthy. :)

When people say they have different shoes for different training days (long run vs speed work) I am always so intrigued by how you even come to what shoe works best for different runs, etc.

I was running in one shoe (although at some points two pairs of the same shoe) until about a year ago, when I just got really frustrated with how heavy my 880s are and bought something with less cushion. But I also knew that less cushion would wreck me on longer runs, so I kept the 880. So I only fell into multiple shoes a little by accident. I think people do different shoes for different reasons and you just kind of figure out through trial and error what shoes work best for you when (or if you can wear any shoe for anything and just match them based on your outfit).

When people say they have different shoes for different training days (long run vs speed work) I am always so intrigued by how you even come to what shoe works best for different runs, etc.

Trial and error! I thought I wanted a lighter weight shoe so I purchased a pair of Brooks Launch. They feel like feathers on my feet compared to the Ghost, but just not cushioned enough for me for long runs. My feet start getting sore around 6 miles or so. I use those shoes for my EA runs now. I use the Ghosts for speed work and longer runs. I figure someday I might run those Daniels T paces as my LR pace so why not get used to it now :D

ATSQOTD: I get 350-400 miles out of a pair of shoes. I track mileage and try to retire them at 350. I believe they still have some miles left, but don't want to risk it. I still get good use out of them as walking/casual/chore shoes.

I've been running in Brooks Ghost for years. I generally try to buy them from local running stores. Often with the ATC discount, the price is equal to Internet pricing.

Once the closeouts start, I scour the Internet for deals. If I get a good deal, I will stock-pile them 3 deep. I have a 100 miles on my closeout 10s, with 2 more pair in the closet. This had become harder to do once I switched to wides.
For example, I have 5 new pairs of my current Ghost 9s sitting in the wings waiting for their turn.

As I'm reading the posts, I'm jealous of @camaker's stash!

ATTQOTD: I also have a rotation. I have 4 pair of Brooks Launches and one pair of Asics Gel Nimbus in rotation for long runs and speed work, a pair of Brooks Glycerin for easy runs, and a pair of Brooks Ghost for my EB runs (speed between workout pace and easy pace). I retire the Launches after 300 miles and the Glycerin/Ghosts after 400 miles due to the extra cushion. Three pair of Launches and the Glycerins are all approaching their end of life.

ATTQOTD: This is a great question and I've been thinking about it in my own head lately. I only just started tracking mileage on my shoes and have discovered that I'm probably putting too many miles on my shoes. I easily put 600 or so miles on each of my first two pairs of shoes. They're racing flats to begin with, and I'm not sure if that makes them last longer (it's not like I'm crushing the cushioning out of them overtime or something) or shorter. I recently went out and bought a few pairs of shoes and will start my own rotation. I would like to have two pairs on active rotation for training runs and one pair, with less than 40 or so miles, for racing. I only wear New Balances too. That NB outlet website looks neat and I'll have to see if they ever get the sizes I need in my shoes at good prices...

Oh, oh, oh another Vongo wearer! There aren't many of us out there, I don't think. FYI, I just got the v3s, and they are dreeeeeaaaaaamy!

In my case, I prefer running in a lightweight, flexible shoe that offers lots of ground contact, but I need more support and cushion for long runs. So I compromise and have a shoe that's fun to run fast, but short distances, in, and a different shoe for everything else. Once a week, I get to play in the fun shoe, and the rest of the time I plod along in the shoe that keeps me healthy. :)

I’m a Vongo wearer, too! Love them. I had/have all five colors of the v2’s. Currently I just started wearing the last of that version. About a month ago I got one of the new v3’s. I wore it a few times to make sure it worked, and now it’s just waiting to get into rotation. I’m at the end of life of one of the v2’s (just over 300 miles) - that’s when I first start really paying attention and only wear for short runs. Once I really retire that pair, the v3’s will move into rotation and will probably be my race shoe! 46 days!

I’m a Vongo wearer, too! Love them. I had/have all five colors of the v2’s. Currently I just started wearing the last of that version. About a month ago I got one of the new v3’s. I wore it a few times to make sure it worked, and now it’s just waiting to get into rotation. I’m at the end of life of one of the v2’s (just over 300 miles) - that’s when I first start really paying attention and only wear for short runs. Once I really retire that pair, the v3’s will move into rotation and will probably be my race shoe! 46 days!
Hiya fellow Vongo-er! I have two pairs of v2s on hand, so I really should wait to use the 3... but I fear that will be tough, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter