The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD:
I really enjoy night runs. I do stick to routes that provide sidewalk and some lighting. I wear a reflective vest and try to wear my brighter running clothes so I stand out. If I think it is needed I wear a headlamp also. And I either run without music/podcasts or at most wear only one ear bud.

I can get to a poorly lit track at the university and was wondering how snow clearing works. The university is the best snow removing organization in town, so much so that I run circles around the football stadium in the winter because that area is always clear and well lit. I am curious if they bother to clear the track as the students have indoor facilities. Probably not?

Well, for the high school track, at least, I am guessing they don't bother to clear it. The season will be over, so why spend the money? But a university will have a larger amount of community use year-round, so who knows. But if you can already run around the football stadium, do you need the track?

ATTQOTD:
At the beginning of the summer (school teacher here), I start running about 6am to beat the heat. That carries over pretty well into the start of the school year of getting up somewhere between 4-5 am depending on how long the run is suppose to be. Well, it does for at least the first month or two. It's mid-September and I'm about done with getting up that early. The other thing with that is (getting up at 5), by the time I did get midway through the run, the sun was coming up and I had some light. Well, not so much now. It's darker longer.

You see, I'm afraid of the dark! I have a reflective vest and I have run with a flashlight. However, that hasn't stopped deer from jumping out in my path or turkeys waddling out in front of me or who knows what all is making that rustling noise in the woods. :scared1: There's a 3/4 mile stretch that has street lamps on my road. Then there's 2 different 1/2 mile stretches that aren't lit and have more of a woodsy area than houses. I have run that 3/4 stretch back and forth for up to 5 miles. It gets old after awhile. The other issue besides being scared is safety. I've had way too many near misses of being hit by cars that now I have to get completely off the road when one is coming and wait. I wait because I've run into way too many full body length spider webs by not waiting. And I'm more afraid of spiders than I am of the dark. (I've also learned that people that drive on my street have no compassion. You'd think when they saw a crazy woman kicking and jumping and just plain old spazzing, that someone would stop and check on her. Then again, I'd probably be too scared to stop if I saw me acting like that at 4:30 am) :confused3

So I narrate all of that to say, my runs are now moved to right after work with the occasional - run on the high school track at lunch and then have a working lunch. I tried running after the kids were in bed last week but there's still the whole scared of the dark issue and there just happens to be more traffic at 8 pm than at 5 am. Go figure.

Does anyone ever just have a bad run? Like you don't feel right from the start, your pace is off, and you can't even finish your planned distance? I had been working back up to my pre-summer 10 mile runs, and as storms had passed through and there was a light rain, I decided to give it a go last night. Made it 9.11 miles and if I had tried to go any further, thats what someone would have been calling. Ugh. I had hoped I hadn't fallen off so bad sticking to shorter runs outside, or treadmill runs over the summer. Oh well. At least I have almost two months before my HM.

This was me the last few weeks and I posted my vent about it last week. Then the temps returned to normal around her this past weekend and Sunday's long run was in the 60's and wouldn't you know my pace dropped by 1:40/mm from the previous week's long run in the heat and humidity. Then tonight I ran in the humidity again and the pace was back in the toilet.

As @LSUlakes is walking all of those miles today, he suggested I take my proposed QOTD and use it for Today, and propose others keep it going through Sunday. So, here it is:

Question of the Day:
There have recently been several admonishments to be seen while running. Our friends in the southern hemisphere are getting more daylight hours but many of us fewer. Do you modify your time, route, gear or anything else based on the quantity of daylight available?

ATTQOTD: Over the summer I had been exploring new routes with the aims of fewer hills and more drinking fountains. I have learned these also have fewer lights and are less traveled than my well lit, hilly route. I think I will likely be returning to the more lit, more hilly path for weekdays and maybe saving the other route for weekends. Also, they will likely turn off the drinking fountains soon so that removes part of the appeal. I was surprised to see more than one runner holding a flashlight in their hand while running last week. I do NOT think I could do that. I did try to attach my bike light to my waist band and found that while it is fine for biking, I cannot stand it while running. Ditto for the headlamp.

Follow up on business: I found it hard to ask anything for the first 6 months of lurking. Does anyone newer to the board wish to volunteer for Wednesday? If not, I will nominate someone after 1:45 pm Eastern (because I will be sitting in a meeting at which I will multitask). Also, volunteers for Thursday & Friday?

It's 10:11pm EST as I type this and I just finished my run in the dark. The only thing I change now that fall is hear is I wear my headlamp and reflective vest now while I run.

ATTQOTD: I run at about 7am during the week, because of my time constraints for getting to work. Fortunately, it's almost entirely away from cars, so there's only a couple spots where we need to be careful. I did pick up some reflective armbands for use as we get closer to the DST change.

I've been aiming at 8am for my Saturday runs, which should be late enough to not have an issue.

Coming out of winter so finally getting some mid week runs at either dusk or dawn, rather than dark.

I live in an urban area so no issues running in the dark. Some streets have poor lighting so I stay clear of those but there are enough I can run a while in the dark with no issues. Safety is not a concern where I live (applies to most of NZ)

Watches - since I got my fenix 5 for Christmas it only comes off for charging and showering. I have one with a metal band for every day so doesn’t look like a sports watch, but have the silicone band for running. LOVE my fenix even though GPS isn’t as accurate as my old 220.

ATTQOTD: I’m loving that it stays dark longer. I work nights so being able to get to sleep when it’s still dark out is so much easier. Now if it would only start cooling down a bit. For the summer I’ve been running in the morning when I get off so I’m not running in the heat. I don’t like running in the dark so until it cools off I have to wait a bit to start my run. Once it does cool off I’ll start running in the afternoon when I wake up. That will be easier too, it’s harder for me to sleep right after a run.

ATTQOTD: When the kids were off during summer and there was light as late as 10PM, it was easy to fit a run pretty much anytime and move work around it. In the fall, mornings runs are less appealing. Lunch time runs during the week are fun because most colleagues runners are back from vacation, the temperatures are nice and it feels good to see some sun. I will get reflector bands for night as I feel that my cliplights may not provide sufficient visibility. I don’t mind running in the dark but it slows me down.

Well, for the high school track, at least, I am guessing they don't bother to clear it. The season will be over, so why spend the money? But a university will have a larger amount of community use year-round, so who knows. But if you can already run around the football stadium, do you need the track?

Need? No. Mostly I would like the option to skip a couple of the hills a morning a week. I end up running a 3% grade over a quarter of a mile with more gentle rolls for a mile and repeat this to add distance when it is dark and snowy. I tell myself it will make me a better runner, but it is hard to believe it sometimes. {whine over}

ATTQOTD:
(I've also learned that people that drive on my street have no compassion. You'd think when they saw a crazy woman kicking and jumping and just plain old spazzing, that someone would stop and check on her. Then again, I'd probably be too scared to stop if I saw me acting like that at 4:30 am) :confused3

I think most drivers at that time are zoned out and cannot think properly.

I was thinking along these lines yesterday. I had very few aches after Sunday's race, leading me to question if I really had trained better than I expected or if I didn't do it right!

Today's QOTD: I've signed up for my first triathlon next year August 2019 and I do not own a bike. But Santa is going to give me one for Xmas. Please suggest a beginner friendly road bike for a 5'9" 150 lbs woman who is slightly scared by speed when not on her feet. And doesn't want to spend a million dollars. But also wants something nicer than a walmart shelf model bike.

Secondary QOTD for those who don't care about bikes: If you could make your own triathlon out of Running + two other events what would it be?

My answer to that second questions would be British Baking style competition + Dance Break + Running

Today's QOTD: I've signed up for my first triathlon next year August 2019 and I do not own a bike. But Santa is going to give me one for Xmas. Please suggest a beginner friendly road bike for a 5'9" 150 lbs woman who is slightly scared by speed when not on her feet. And doesn't want to spend a million dollars. But also wants something nicer than a walmart shelf model bike.

Along the lines of going to a specialty running store to get fitted for shoes, please go to a reputable bike store for a bike. They will work with you and let you try them out. I have a carbon frame which I love (I can easily lift it with one hand), but that might be overkill if you are just starting out. Aluminum would be fine. Also, invest in a seat upgrade! Your butt will thank you for it. I got my bike in September and they had a lot of end of season deals.

In other news:

Boston confirmation.jpg

I guess I'm excited? IDK, just looking for redemption after this year's crap race and weather.

Along the lines of going to a specialty running store to get fitted for shoes, please go to a reputable bike store for a bike. They will work with you and let you try them out. I have a carbon frame which I love (I can easily lift it with one hand), but that might be overkill if you are just starting out. Aluminum would be fine. Also, invest in a seat upgrade! Your butt will thank you for it. I got my bike in September and they had a lot of end of season deals.

In other news:

View attachment 350473

I guess I'm excited? IDK, just looking for redemption after this year's crap race and weather.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

And you advise about a good seat will be taken...I'm gonna want to train more if I'm comfortable.

I know nothing about bikes so I am no help here.

Secondary QOTD for those who don't care about bikes: If you could make your own triathlon out of Running + two other events what would it be?

My answer to that second questions would be British Baking style competition + Dance Break + Running

ATTQOTD: I just purchased my first road bike for (hopefully) triathlon use this summer. The first thing to know is that the selection, variety and price ranges are overwhelming and you can quickly get into information overload. For simplicity, my initial suggestion is to find a well-reviewed local bike shop that will stand behind and service what they sell. That can help narrow down the brand selection, then you can look at the models specific to what you want to do. Are you only going to be riding on the road or paved greenways? Do you plan to venture out onto trails and, if so, what kind?

For me, I plan to use the bike for a triathlon, but I'm still nervous about riding on the roads as we don't have much in the way of bike lanes where I am. So I wanted something that could also handle packed sand bridle trails for most of my training. The local bike shop I settled on carried mostly Specialized and Giant. If you end up with a bike shop selling Specialized, I'd suggest you take a look at the Ruby. I got the men's version, the Roubaix, and have been thrilled with it. Above all, though, make sure you let them fit you and adjust the bike and take some test rides before you decide.

Good luck!

ATTQOTD: I am excited for these responses because I need a new bike and have been thinking about triathlons too! Since I am no help with that, my triathlon could still include bike riding and running, but I'd replace the swim with paddle boarding because I am only effective at swimming if I doggy paddle. LOL.

So my training plan might be a little off this week.

I adjusted my schedule this week. I’m in NC and while I’m not on the coast we will still be impacted with tons of rain. I was supposed to run 9 on Sat, no way I’m doing that on a treadmill, so I swapped days and did 9 today and pushed the 3 for today to sat. Hopefully it will be for naught!

ATTQOTD: I'll second the recommendation for a good bike store. Even a good sporting-goods store with a knowledgeable bike department.

I'm a big big fan of disc brakes on bikes, especially if you expect to ride in wet weather at all.

To make it disney related: I have actually thought about this more than I would care to say, largely due to a friend inviting me to the cast member run next month, and what other cast member activities she has access to for me to tag along. My proposal was surrey bike race and canoeing around Tom Sawyer's Island.

For non-disney, I would have a supermarket sweep like activity as this is my sunday night cardio every week (Kids in bed? GO! lunches need to be packed!). The third event is a bit more difficult to me. Competitive kindergarten hair styles? I can get 4 french braids in 1.3 episodes of the Lion Guard and last week pulled off something to meet the request of 'BB8 Hair' which was the biggest achievement all week!

In other news:

View attachment 350473

WOO HOO! The odds of Boston being the same crap weather are low. Different crap weather is more likely and it might be the crap weather you thrive in- like Ohio's weather?

And I agree regarding the bike seat. A non-stock seat changed my biking totally, and made my commute significantly more enjoyable {Sigh, I want to bike more}. My bike store let me try and exchange at least 3 before I found something amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter