The Running Thread - 2018

September totals
Distance: 115km (71.5miles)
Average pace: 6min/km (9.66min/miles)

Exactly where a month with tapering+races+recovery should be for me. I am still celebrating my PR!

That said, Running Thread Maths:
Recovery Week + Medal Reveals + Disney Deals = Dopey Window Shopping to the Cube

Now, if you multiply this with
New BQTime=BQTime-5

It equals that Dopey 2020 will definitely be my first Marathon and, beside injuries, there is not much that will stop that girl!

Last edited:
This week we have the following folks races:

29 - @Smilelea - 10th Annual Baby Steps Memorial Run 5K (NG N/A)
29 - @PointerPower - Akron Marathon (4:10:00 / N/A)
30 - @mankle30 - Oakville Half Marathon (2:20:00 / N/A)
30 - @SarahDisney - New Balance Bronx 10 Miler (1:45:00 / N/A)
30 - @KevM - OCNJ Half Marathon (2:15:00 / N/A)
30 - @derekleigh - Tanger Outlet 5K (23:00 / N/A)
30 - @BikeFan - Prince William Half Marathon (1:40:00 / N/A)
30 - opusone - Run for Kelli 3 Mile XC (23:30 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you would like to make a change to your race or goal, let me know. If someone would like to add a race to the list, let me know as well. Again, good luck and we look forward to hearing how you race went!

September mileage: 94.4 miles (+13.1 in the HM on the 30th)
Time on Target (Active time): 18h 18m

Tomorrow morning half marathon! Trying to move that corral up for the WDW Marathon in just a few more months!

I can't do Marathon Weekend this coming year because we're actually flying back the day of the 5k. I suspect it's off the list for the next couple years just because it would be rather cruel to ship my daughter off to college and then fly to Orlando to run without her.

I'm kinda in the same situation with my sister ... she goes back to school on January 6th, so I have to go without her. I'm sad about it, but I'm not letting it stop me.
You can do marathon weekend ... just maybe don't tell her that you're doing it!

I will not get tempted to run Dopey

See you on 5k and 10k mornings :)

I'm kinda in the same situation with my sister ... she goes back to school on January 6th, so I have to go without her. I'm sad about it, but I'm not letting it stop me.
You can do marathon weekend ... just maybe don't tell her that you're doing it!

Well, next year we're flying back from our WDW trip on the day of the 5k, so that she has a day or two at home before she flies back to college.

I'd actually not be here to send her off if I did Marathon Weekend the year after that, because I'd need to fly out before she did. Her classes start the day after the marathon.

September Totals

56.19 miles (I am at 290.81 miles with an avg. pace of 10:51 for the year-to-date)
Avg Pace: 11:10

3 weeks of Higdon novice down... 15 more weeks to go...

Quick note: Thursday and Saturday's runs were the first non 80 degree runs I've had since April and yes that includes running most of this at night...

Quick note #2. Started the month at 6'3 1/2" and 278 lbs. Still 6'3 1/2", but now 272 lbs.!!!

September Summary

Another excellent month - slightly down on August distance due to a mid month fatigue wobble.

240km/149mi
5:13 min/km 8:24m/mi
3,077m/10,095ft climbing
147bpm

Last really long run was in the bag today - 3 hours/34km. Next Sunday is back to 2:30. Still some workouts coming up but I'm feeling a lot better this week after the long run than last week.

September miles - 119.5 (ran a marathon & not a lot the last 2 wks) Honestly, September flew by!

So the 5 minutes I am about to gain for turning 35 are going away before I officially had them :(
Right! But it's like I don't have to think hard about paces as it will be exactly the same as I just trained for. Although, I'm not sure even when I'll do another non-Disney marathon as my local options are sub-par.

Do it! I'll be handing out water in the 5k & want to spot Dis-runners, which could be totally impossible!

8 days out from my first marathon and the obsessive weather checking has begun. Temperatures are looking favorable right now but today the chance of showers popped up too. I’m trying not to freak out or get nervous yet because it’s still far in advance when forecasting rain, but a solid week of rain chances everyday is not what I want to see a week leading up to a big race.
How exciting! May the no rain pixie dust be in your favor.

Last edited:
September total: 128.6 (because, ya know, that .6 is really the most important!) It's my highest total for the year.

Yesterday, I had one of those "See, you really shouldn't doubt yourself" kind of runs. Not long, but included a 4 mile HM pace segment on an outdoor track. I tend to do pace work on the TM, but am trying to do more outdoors. I always doubt my ability to hit interval pacing when I run outside, and even though I have run whole HM at the pace I did yesterday, I guess as I age, I doubt my abilities. So it was nice to do those 4 miles, and with consistency. I even had 2 consecutive 1/4 mile splits that were within .07 seconds!

Anyway, it was one of those days when you finish a run with a smile on your face.

September total: 149.7 miles (I may or may not go run .3 tonight. That number is just taunting me! :D)

Prince William Half Marathon race report:

I've been dealing with a minor hamstring issue for most of September, made worse because I'm a stubborn knucklehead who refuses to accept that 2 days' rest isn't enough to make it go away for good. (Don't be like me. At my age, I should know better, but I don't. ) Anyway, after feeling it come back yet again on Monday, I finally packed it in for the rest of the week and took a few extra days off. I did a short run on Saturday just to shake out the legs, and the legs felt fine. This race was more of a training run than a target race, so my only goals were sub-1:40 and not get injured. Happily, I achieved both, despite some terrible pacing on my part. My first mile was just over 7:00 :-)o), and I paid for that later. Overall, I ran a positive split, but not too badly. I also got to see some running friends I hadn't seen in a while, and my nephew's wife PR'ed, so overall, a good race.

1:38:30
51st overall
6th male, 45-49

Just got back from my month in the South. Caught 2 Alabama games in Bryant Denny Stadium. Spent a few weeks with family in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida. Trained, and it sucked, in that heat. Got home yesterday and ran my 19 mile long run this morning in cool weather (what a relief).

September totals were somewhat limited given my travel, but I continued to progress in spite of the lower mileage:

103.8 miles - average HR was 139

Smuttynose 1/2 Marathon in the books.

This is my first race for time since September of 2015. That happened to be a 1/2 marathon as well and I ran that with plantar fasciitis. But since then all my races were for fun or to work back from my injury. So I was pretty nervous this week. My goal was under 2:00. But my training hasn’t been great because the hills I run on and the humidity most of the summer. Thankfully we got good weather for this race.

I left my house around 5:20 am to head to NH. It was 47’ out when I left. No humidity. This was a good sign. I had been to this race before so finding everything was no problem. I signed up for it in 2016 but was recovering from surgery so I went as a spectator to cheer on my friend Matt.

The race is well organized. A lot of it is run along the ocean on Hampton Beach. There is maybe 3 miles that go into a residential neighborhood where you can’t see the ocean but the rest of along the water.

I started out in the 10:00/mile corral as I didn’t want to go out too fast and burn myself out. Looking at my splits I clearly didn’t stay with those people long. Miles 2-5 I was in the 8:30/mm range. I felt like I was going slow but heard my updates from RunKeeper and started doing math. I realized I may be able to get under 2:00 if I just stay steady. I guess all the hills I train on was helping because this flat course felt “easy”.

By mile 9 we hit a few small hills in the residential neighborhood and by mile 11 I started to fade. I was sore. I kept plugging along the best I could be realized 2:00 wasn’t happening today. I finished in 2:03:58. The good news is, this is my new 1/2 PR. The race I mentioned above was my previous 1/2 PR of 2:06:03. This means I am close to getting back to pre-injury conditioning. I say that because that course was VERY hilly and this was was flat. I also did reach my goal for the month of having over 100 Miles as I work toward building my mileage again during my new found motivation. I was on pace for 130 but dialed it back when I was in pain during runs and finished at 100.9.

Overall this is a great race. I would tell anyone in this part of the country it is worth trying for sure. I am a little disappointed in myself for not finding my motivation a couple of months sooner so I could have trained more and given this a better effort. But, for the training I did do, I am pleased with my results. It just means that I have room to improve and I am planning to do it next year and definitely get under the 2:00 for sure. Now that I am familiar with the course, if I put in the work, I should easily be able to get in the 1:40’s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter