The Running Thread - 2018

Marine Corps Marathon race report

Going into this event, I wasn't sure how my legs were going to feel after Baltimore last weekend, as I'd never done marathons so close together before. Still, leading up to the race, my legs were feeling good and although MCM was just supposed to be a training race for me, on race morning I was seriously considering going all out for this one. The first few miles ended up curing me of those thoughts, though, as my legs just felt 'heavy' and with the course crowding, it would've required a ton of energy to move up, energy I did not have. This was the first year the MCM actually tried to enforce waves, with three color-designated waves. It was a little better than last year, but still very slow and crowded in the first few miles. By the time we crossed into DC at around Mile 5, I was able to settle into a comfortable pace. By chance, I came upon another runner I knew, and we caught up for a few miles. I also saw a local couple who dress up as the Incredibles and always cheer from the same spot on Rock Creek Parkway for MCM and the DC Rock and Roll races - nice to see them out again. One of the strong positives for this race is the crowd support, which is awesome. Tons of locals come out with signs or to set up unofficial aid stations ("Whisky for Winners!" was my favorite, though I didn't stop :D) and of course thousands of Marines are out, and their support and excitement is over the top. Lots of military members also run the race, and they get huge cheers from the crowd. I even spotted teams of runners from the Ukrainian Army, the Royal Navy, and the Norwegian Military Academy, and of course all the U.S. service branches had sent their elite athlete teams, so they were dominating the front of the pack.

Once I was able to settle into a decent pace, I saw my average was dropping right under 8:00/mile, and going sub-3:30 was possible, but crossing the bridge back into Virginia at about Mile 20, I could feel the fatigue catching up to me. The final 6 miles I was just trying to limit my losses. The final .2 is uphill, which is very fitting for a Marine marathon. I tried my best to "sprint" the final stretch for the huge crowd, but I was pretty cooked by then. Still, I saw my wife and one of our daughters in the final stretch, which gave me a little extra energy. This year's medal was similar to last year's, but with an interesting twist - a pop-out finisher's coin!

MCM 2018 Medal.jpg

The gold coin in the center is held in place by a magnet but can be popped out if you press on the bottom of it. It has the MCM logo on the other side. Overall, this is a great marathon and I recommend it for any runner. I'm not sure I'd ever do it for time, but it's definitely a cool experience.

Final time: 3:34:58
Place: 1240 of 27640

On to a very easy run at Wine & Dine, and then hopefully a fast day at Richmond. Thanks for reading, and happy running to all.

Marine Corps Marathon race report

Going into this event, I wasn't sure how my legs were going to feel after Baltimore last weekend, as I'd never done marathons so close together before. Still, leading up to the race, my legs were feeling good and although MCM was just supposed to be a training race for me, on race morning I was seriously considering going all out for this one. The first few miles ended up curing me of those thoughts, though, as my legs just felt 'heavy' and with the course crowding, it would've required a ton of energy to move up, energy I did not have. This was the first year the MCM actually tried to enforce waves, with three color-designated waves. It was a little better than last year, but still very slow and crowded in the first few miles. By the time we crossed into DC at around Mile 5, I was able to settle into a comfortable pace. By chance, I came upon another runner I knew, and we caught up for a few miles. I also saw a local couple who dress up as the Incredibles and always cheer from the same spot on Rock Creek Parkway for MCM and the DC Rock and Roll races - nice to see them out again. One of the strong positives for this race is the crowd support, which is awesome. Tons of locals come out with signs or to set up unofficial aid stations ("Whisky for Winners!" was my favorite, though I didn't stop :D) and of course thousands of Marines are out, and their support and excitement is over the top. Lots of military members also run the race, and they get huge cheers from the crowd. I even spotted teams of runners from the Ukrainian Army, the Royal Navy, and the Norwegian Military Academy, and of course all the U.S. service branches had sent their elite athlete teams, so they were dominating the front of the pack.

Once I was able to settle into a decent pace, I saw my average was dropping right under 8:00/mile, and going sub-3:30 was possible, but crossing the bridge back into Virginia at about Mile 20, I could feel the fatigue catching up to me. The final 6 miles I was just trying to limit my losses. The final .2 is uphill, which is very fitting for a Marine marathon. I tried my best to "sprint" the final stretch for the huge crowd, but I was pretty cooked by then. Still, I saw my wife and one of our daughters in the final stretch, which gave me a little extra energy. This year's medal was similar to last year's, but with an interesting twist - a pop-out finisher's coin!

The gold coin in the center is held in place by a magnet but can be popped out if you press on the bottom of it. It has the MCM logo on the other side. Overall, this is a great marathon and I recommend it for any runner. I'm not sure I'd ever do it for time, but it's definitely a cool experience.

Final time: 3:34:58
Place: 1240 of 27640

On to a very easy run at Wine & Dine, and then hopefully a fast day at Richmond. Thanks for reading, and happy running to all.

Congrats on your finish! Sweet medal too. That bridge at mile 20 is the worst! Just an empty road right after all the excitement of the mall. Hate it. I hear your race shirt was pretty special this year......

Welcome back! Haven’t dealt with shin splints myself but they totally sidelined a running friend for weeks. How old are your shoes? Some PT exercises might ward off further pain.

Thanks - that might be one reason! I was just thinking the other day that I've had my running shoes a while (did the DLP half in them last year - I do have two pairs that I alternate though). Didn't realise quite how long I've had them, probably because I didn't run that much in them the first half of the year.

Time to get a new pair I think!

I used to have a bad problem with shin splints before I knew much about running. Best suggestion I ever had was to go to the local running store (Trak Shak BHM - shout out) and have my gait analyzed. They put me in a moderate stability shoe (Saucony Guides) and I haven't had shin splints in over 6 years (knock on wood...)

I agree that gait analysis is great! But my current running shoe type was from a gait analysis a couple of years ago and worked really well for me until earlier this month. Wonder if my gait has changed...

On the upside there's now a new running store that I think does gait analysis (they have a treadmill at least but haven't asked specifically about gait analysis) within running distance of my place, so I could potentially run there and see what they suggest too.

Consider a stretching exercise. One good one is to kneel on the floor and then sit back on your heels. It stretches out the top of your feet, too. And if you lean back on your hands, you can get the quads. It's one of my post-run go-to's.

Yeah I think I might need to add in more stretching too. Must admit I've been lazy for the last couple of years and not stretching that much (or sometimes at all) before/after runs...

Yeah, I know, nobody agrees with me..
I do. Well, I wouldn't go so far as to use the "hate" word - I'm mostly ambivalent about his choice of pastime. I just don't have any interest in it, and don't get any enjoyment from it. Public shaming just isn't my jam.

I'm DH, and I overpronate with narrow feet. Saving a couple still in the box Brooks Adrenaline 14's because they're the last version that fit and didn't give me blisters. The 18's with their new upper seem to trap the heat and give me blisters, despite (or because) I had to go up 1/2 a size. I bought a pair of Ghost 11s, since they fit my feet like the Adrenaline's used to. Threw in a pair of Spenco Total Support insoles since they're a neutral shoe. Anybody else wear Ghost and over pronate? Looking for other thoughts as to insoles that would support.
Today was run #2 in the Ghost 11s for me, and 2 for 2, they feel pretty good. I don't think I'll have to change my insole plan, but wanted to see what others have done.
Finding the right shoe is a constant struggle for me and I need a very specific amount and quality of support for moderate overpronation. Training for my first marathon, nothing was working, so I gave up, threw a pair of CurrexSole insoles into an old pair of Ghost 7s, and it worked out. It's definitely worth a try!

Congrats on your finish! Sweet medal too. That bridge at mile 20 is the worst! Just an empty road right after all the excitement of the mall. Hate it. I hear your race shirt was pretty special this year......
MCM shirts.jpg
Ha! It was . . . different, that's for sure! Here's the 2018 shirt, along with last year's "salmon" shirt, which drew a few rants on social media. Those MCM folks don't mind pushing a few boundaries! There was even one sign I saw on course making fun of the shirt - something like "You run better than the 2018 MCM shirt looks" or similar - it was late in the race and my brain had race fog!

And yeah, the bridge back into VA is a special kind of heck - so desolate, and exposed to the wind, etc. Luckily, the support in Crystal City is top-notch, to get you through the final miles.

How'd it go for you, @tigger536? Hope you had a great race!

QOTD: Good morning folks! How often do you run a race on a "open" course? If you have, do you find traffic to be a issue?

ATTQOTD: We used to have a local half that was somewhat open. Certain parts of the course would be open to traffic, but the roads were rarely traveled except for locals so not much of a problem. Saturday I was on my bike leading the race kinda like a pace car deal. Well the course had a lot of u-turns and on one of them I was paying attention to a road that turns onto the road we were on before the turn since its a highway. Well as I start to turn the 1st place runner yells "CAR CAR CAR!!!". Slammed on my brakes right as the car cruises on by. That was a close one! I think if he did not warn me it would have been way to close, either a ditch the bike or hit the car type deal. I suggested to my buddy that next year we look into having volunteers at the major roads to direct traffic to avoid this situation. Also a little my fault for not making sure a car was not coming from behind. Lesson learned.

In other news, I am finally starting to get over my cold. Thought I could get a good run in this weekend and it was going well until mile 8. I suddenly felt really weak and sat for a minute or two. Tried to run a few times and it was a no go. Very long walk back to my truck. It was a fail of a long run for me.

Last announcement: It's Bama week!! Top 5 match up at night in Baton Rouge! The cajun microwave is pulled out of storage, the hype has been building for a week already! Its going to be a wild day Saturday. Looks like I will need to arrive on campus around 4 or 5 AM to secure my tailgate spot. I will discuss more as part of the Friday Fun Day question. Bama fans, lets have fun this week. I know its unlikely we will win, but I would have lost a lot of money so far if you would have told me we would be at the spot we are at now lol. GEAUX TIGERS!

QOTD: Good morning folks! How often do you run a race on a "open" course? If you have, do you find traffic to be a issue?

I just did one this fall on an open course in Amish country, Ohio. There were more horse and buggy's than motor vehicles but there were a few. Intersections had police but the course itself was pretty rural and the cars were pretty respectful of the runners.

A lot of the 5Ks around here are on roads that are half open with traffic restricted to only one way. All the cities provide off duty cops so their presence keeps the traffic under control.

@BikeFan Congrats on your race! Great job! Sorry we missed you after, but you finished a bit before me, lol. I had a great race. I wasn't looking to PR since I had already done that the week before. My only goal was to beat last year's MCM and I beat it by 20 minutes! 4:30:58. I wish I had realized I was going to be that close to 4:30 - I could have maybe gotten it under that, lol. Great course and course support as always. I'll be back next year, maybe for the odd shirt trifecta? (I have the salmon one too.)

ATTQOTD: Most longer local races around here are not on closed roads. I have run three or four 10K, three 5M, one 10M, and six or seven HM all on shared roads. Never had a problem with traffic.

Triathlons, like all the time. Also anything that is a smaller race not costing hundreds of dollars...shutting down roads costs a lot of money. I have almost been hit a few times during races. I have been known to get angry and pound my fist on someone's vehicle after they have nearly hit me.

Scary moment for you on the bike Jerry! Glad the lead guy spotted the car in time...

Ha! It was . . . different, that's for sure! Here's the 2018 shirt, along with last year's "salmon" shirt, which drew a few rants on social media. Those MCM folks don't mind pushing a few boundaries! There was even one sign I saw on course making fun of the shirt - something like "You run better than the 2018 MCM shirt looks" or similar - it was late in the race and my brain had race fog!

And yeah, the bridge back into VA is a special kind of heck - so desolate, and exposed to the wind, etc. Luckily, the support in Crystal City is top-notch, to get you through the final miles.

How'd it go for you, @tigger536? Hope you had a great race!
I... don't know how to feel about this shirt.

The Tuna Run, which I've run twice, is on completely open roads (primarily two lane rural roads) with signage informing drivers to be aware of runners on the roads. I've never had an issue with traffic during the races. Most drivers are very courteous and will move over if there's no oncoming traffic. There are always a few that cut it too close for comfort and I make sure I'm ready to run a few pace on the shoulder when they come along. The most disruptive thing I've had happen was an oncoming tractor trailer on a busy stretch of state highway blow my hat off. Just had to double back and retrieve it, no harm done.

ATTQOTD: Never ran on open roads, but drove by one one time, on a busy road with the sun rising in the driver's eyes... I did not envy those runners, I imagine quite a few close calls that day.

ATTQOTD: I can't think of any race I've run that was open to traffic. But I've seen cars try to enter a closed course, anyway, more than once!

The Tuna Run, which I've run twice, is on completely open roads (primarily two lane rural roads) with signage informing drivers to be aware of runners on the roads. I've never had an issue with traffic during the races. Most drivers are very courteous and will move over if there's no oncoming traffic. There are always a few that cut it too close for comfort and I make sure I'm ready to run a few pace on the shoulder when they come along.

I have done Texas Independent Relay, Ragnar Austin, and Capital to Coast, and this pretty much sums up my experience as well. The Capitol to Coast is the one where I felt the most in danger during the late night/sunrise run, when my Tracer 360 Vest seemed to be a homing beacon to the on-coming cars until around 100 yards when they would finally move over, but I was ready to head in the bushes, if needed.

ATTQOTD: We have a charity 5k each year which is open but it is a really small town with minimum traffic. There is a road crossing which is a little dicey but the police chief does a great job of ensuring safe and timely passage.

I also did the Abraham Lincoln Half Marathon last year, which is open for part of the course. The course organizers and local authorities did a good job making sure runners and cars didn’t collide, but I do think it added about 3 mins to my time, which was nevertheless a PR.

ATTQOTD: I've only done one race that was open to traffic, Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon this year. It also runs alongside the full marathon, but I don't remember where exactly we were sharing the course, so not sure if they had the same issues. We did quite a few miles within a neighborhood in Wilmington, and there were cars driving through. It was...interesting. Later on, we had to cross a busy intersection. They did have officers controlling traffic, but I witnessed someone get angry and blow through the intersection while there were runners nearby- definitely could have ended badly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter