• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

I've done a couple races where the roads weren't closed. They were not crowded and there wasn't a lot of traffic on those roads in the morning so it was fine but still made me a little nervous. There is one local 10k where the road is busy and they close one lane but leave one lane open for cars. That made me really nervous!

I also did the Abraham Lincoln Half Marathon last year, which is open for part of the course. The course organizers and local authorities did a good job making sure runners and cars didn’t collide, but I do think it added about 3 mins to my time, which was nevertheless a PR.

Is this the one in Springfield, IL? If so, what did you think of the course? It is on my short list of possibilities for my spring half even though I would have to travel for it. Most of the early spring ones in my area are one of the two weekends that I'm on vacation.

ATTQOTD: Actually, the open course doesn't bother me as much as does running on concrete vs. asphalt. My 12-miler on Saturday, I decided to veer off of the Riverwalk (an asphalt paved trail) and run through campus and town (on mostly concrete sidewalks) and boy, can my legs tell the difference...

Ha! It was . . . different, that's for sure! Here's the 2018 shirt, along with last year's "salmon" shirt, which drew a few rants on social media. Those MCM folks don't mind pushing a few boundaries! There was even one sign I saw on course making fun of the shirt - something like "You run better than the 2018 MCM shirt looks" or similar - it was late in the race and my brain had race fog!

And yeah, the bridge back into VA is a special kind of heck - so desolate, and exposed to the wind, etc. Luckily, the support in Crystal City is top-notch, to get you through the final miles.

How'd it go for you, @tigger536? Hope you had a great race!

Are those mock turtlenecks??? shudders...I hate all turtleneck type collars. Feel like I'm being strangled.
It would be pretty funny to be one of the guys predominantly displayed on the shirt though.

ATTQOTD: Lots of local 5ks will have cars waiting to cross the course and volunteers or police officers will wave them through when gaps in the runners happen. I feel like it's always my luck that cars are going across as I'm approaching which is annoying to have to play the "I trust this volunteer" game.

Side story/Soap Box: I once turned into my neighborhood in my car like normal after work this summer. No signs or barricades or volunteers or people anywhere. And as I go further down my street I notice my road closed off. And a lady yells "You're on a race course, you have to get off!!!" Real mean and surley. And I said..."there was no road closures, you should post some people down there" and asked her what race and when it started. It was starting in like 45 min, for a school nearby. So a local 5k in my neighborhood, on my street, by my house, and I don't know about it???? And it's not on the village website. Or posted at the running stores. Or on any local running site. Just the school's facebook page. So...whoever is in charge of advertising just failed and whoever is in charge of informing residents just failed too. End soapbox rant.

ATTQOTD: My last race in Oregon had 5 miles on an open road and only one part of it was really terrible. Two lanes, traffic, we had to run on the white line on the side and one misstep would send you tumbling down a hill. Plus I was trying to pass people. The only plus side was, it allowed people to follow us and cheer us on. So good for crowd support in an otherwise desolate area.

Is this the one in Springfield, IL? If so, what did you think of the course? It is on my short list of possibilities for my spring half even though I would have to travel for it. Most of the early spring ones in my area are one of the two weekends that I'm on vacation.
I really enjoyed the course. Where I run in Wisconsin is very flat, and there are a few small hills, so that made it a bit of a challenge, but the race hits a lot of the historic features of the area, including a stretch through Lincoln’s homestead and a run past his tomb. There is a Civil War re-enactment group that comes out at the start to launch the race with muskets, and it ends at the old statehouse. For a history buff like me it was excellent.

Conditions last year were pretty good. It was about 40 at race time and we did have some sprinkles during the day, but it was tolerable. It is one of the better supported races (outside of Disney) that I’ve run in terms of pre-and post-race activities etc.

I would plan a day just touring: there’s plenty to see and do. We weren’t even able to get over to the Lincoln library, which I heard is a great attraction in itself. Altogether recommended.

ATTQOTD: Every local race around here is open course. Usually they have police at the busy crossing but when I ran the 10k I was the last runner (11 people total in that race :eek:) and everyone was gone from the course and I had to stop and wait for traffic and cross by myself. I did a half marathon in a town about 100 miles away from here and it was half open. Aside from getting lost in the 10k (people at turns were gone and no road markings) I haven't had any trouble with an open course. Glad things turned out well for you @LSUlakes! That sounds scary!

ATTQOTD: The half I just ran earlier this month on Jekyll Island, GA had parts of the course on an open road. They were very short and they had set up cones and just told us to stay on the inside of the cones. Very little traffic that day so it wasn't an issue.

Now that I have 5 seconds of calm in my life ...
NYC Marathon Runners: (@Wendy98, @cburnett11, @whaler8, and anyone else I may be forgetting)
I am volunteering at number pickup on Friday from expo open until 2. Will probably be browsing the expo and/or harassing the people at the runDisney booth for an hour or two after that.
I'll be at finish line baggage on Sunday, also until 2. After that I'll either be near mile 26 or somewhere else in Manhattan, depending on if anyone from my Facebook running group needs anything.
If you see me, say hi! Once I figure out what I'm wearing, I'll post it here so that I'm easier to spot.

TMI back at ya.....I use diaper rash cream on long runs, especially in the summer, to deal with very specific chafing in this region. Works well.

Congrats on your race!
Is diaper rash cream better or equal to vaseline for long runs? I've found that vaseline works well for me on long runs, but as I want to reduce/minimize/avoid any chafing whatsoever in the marathon, I'm open to testing out something else that may work even better.

@BikeFan Congrats on your race! Great job! Sorry we missed you after, but you finished a bit before me, lol. I had a great race. I wasn't looking to PR since I had already done that the week before. My only goal was to beat last year's MCM and I beat it by 20 minutes! 4:30:58. I wish I had realized I was going to be that close to 4:30 - I could have maybe gotten it under that, lol. Great course and course support as always. I'll be back next year, maybe for the odd shirt trifecta? (I have the salmon one too.)

Wow, solid run for you after last week! Well done!

I don't know about next year, but I hope the shirt is better. I know they can make nice shirts - I'm a local so I see them all the time. I want something I can actually wear in public!

Is diaper rash cream better or equal to vaseline for long runs? I've found that vaseline works well for me on long runs, but as I want to reduce/minimize/avoid any chafing whatsoever in the marathon, I'm open to testing out something else that may work even better.

Diaper rash cream that contains zinc-oxide? That is used for drying and I would think would cause chafing, not prevent it. I use Aquafore for long runs to prevent chaffing.

Diaper rash creme is very good for drying out blisters, the higher the zinc-oxide percentage the better.

ATTQOTD: My first open course race in years was during a half marathon a couple of weeks ago. For the most part, the course went along side streets, so it wasn't really an issue. The only concern I had was that the course had to cross the main thoroughfare TWICE just outside the city limits where the speed limit increases to 50. They had state troopers directing traffic, so it wasn't really an issue and went a lot smoother than I anticipated.

Is diaper rash cream better or equal to vaseline for long runs?

My experience is that diaper rash cream is better after a run to sooth chafing and/or heat rash. I go with Body Glide for the run since it's easier to apply and doesn't stain.

ATTQOTD: Most of the local 5Ks are on open courses on streets with not much traffic, so its not a problem. The last 5K I did had an out and back section with cones on the yellow line. On the 'back' portion, it was unclear what to do: stay to the left of the cones with the 'out' runners, or stay to the right and block both lanes. I believe the intention was all runners stay in one lane and leave the other for traffic. It may have been mentioned in the pre-race announcements but they had audio problems and they were mostly indecipherable. Think Charlie Brown's teacher.

Rocket City Marathon crosses some busy streets, but they are all manned with police officers. I feel bad holding up traffic. The drivers are thinking 'Wow, how slow is that guy running?'

ATTQOTD: Running on open roads? Yes and no.

A lot of events I sign up for are on the smaller side. Road closures can happen but orange cones are our friends too. The half marathon in Ashland, VA has many miles in a rural setting and I first learned how runners work together to shout "Car" to help others. Even at OBX Marathon, we ran on the shoulder of an active 2 lane highway. Thankfully we were protected by the army of orange cones.

Last edited:
Diaper rash cream that contains zinc-oxide? That is used for drying and I would think would cause chafing, not prevent it. I use Aquafore for long runs to prevent chaffing.

Diaper rash creme is very good for drying out blisters, the higher the zinc-oxide percentage the better.
Sounds like a better option for after the race then.

My experience is that diaper rash cream is better after a run to sooth chafing and/or heat rash. I go with Body Glide for the run since it's easier to apply and doesn't stain.
I'll stick with body glide and vaseline then. They've yet to really fail me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter