The Running Thread - 2018

How to Ruin the Perfect Run AND Ruin Your Faith in Humanity in 30 Minutes

Today was the perfect running day in North Georgia. 45 degrees, no wind, beautiful fall foliage. I planned to do 12 miles. About 8 miles into the run I get a scam telemarketing call. They spoof a cell number with the same area code and exchange (NPA-NXX in telco lingo), making it look like a familiar number. They're robo-calls but they seem to interact with your responses. It's always either the robo-woman who has a problem with her headset or the robo-guy asking for Chrissie.

While getting my phone out of the pouch, I dropped my car key. It immediately disappeared in the grass and leaves. I spent 30 minutes on my hands and knees and could not find it. Luckily, DW was at home, so she was able to drop off a spare key at the car without too much hassle for her or me.

To Mr. Telemarketer: you take advantage of human nature to sell your ripoff product. I hope you spend eternity with a rock in your shoe, chafing underwear, and listening to 'It's a Small World' non-stop. And you mistake the capsaicin cream for Body Glide.

During the 30 minutes I spent on my hands and knees, at least 50 cars passed me. Not one stopped to see if I needed help. Most of them didn't even slow down or move over. I've run the same Saturday route for about 15 years, so I have to believe some of these people (if not most) have seen me running. I know people fake car trouble to rob people, but I'm in hi-visibility clothes, on my hands and knees, with no vehicle nearby. Wouldn't someone stop to see if I needed help?

For the 50 people that passed me and didn't stop: you don't deserve the same punishment as Mr. Telemarketer. I hope you get a hair in your food and step in a puddle in the kitchen and have to have soggy socks all day.

I still managed to get 9.5 miles in. I'll be going out this afternoon with a rake to see if I can find the key.

</Rant>
Oh my I totally hear you. Your story goes along with mine from Friday's run about loosing faith in Humanity.

I was running on a road with really wide shoulders (not super crowded). A truck started drifting closer as it basically aimed towards me. I was running over a small creek so the guard rail prevented me from moving over anymore, but luckily he noticed my arm movement and swerved at the last second. His cell phone was propped up on his steering wheel and he was clueless staring down. Luckily, no car in the other lane as he swerved so wide.

BUT, he didn't stop to check that I was okay. He just swerved back widely and took off. So, I was along the same lines but different words of your comment that he" get a hair in your food and step in a puddle in the kitchen and have to have soggy socks all day."

I hope you found/find your key.

How to Ruin the Perfect Run AND Ruin Your Faith in Humanity in 30 Minutes

Today was the perfect running day in North Georgia. 45 degrees, no wind, beautiful fall foliage. I planned to do 12 miles. About 8 miles into the run I get a scam telemarketing call. They spoof a cell number with the same area code and exchange (NPA-NXX in telco lingo), making it look like a familiar number. They're robo-calls but they seem to interact with your responses. It's always either the robo-woman who has a problem with her headset or the robo-guy asking for Chrissie.

While getting my phone out of the pouch, I dropped my car key. It immediately disappeared in the grass and leaves. I spent 30 minutes on my hands and knees and could not find it. Luckily, DW was at home, so she was able to drop off a spare key at the car without too much hassle for her or me.

To Mr. Telemarketer: you take advantage of human nature to sell your ripoff product. I hope you spend eternity with a rock in your shoe, chafing underwear, and listening to 'It's a Small World' non-stop. And you mistake the capsaicin cream for Body Glide.

During the 30 minutes I spent on my hands and knees, at least 50 cars passed me. Not one stopped to see if I needed help. Most of them didn't even slow down or move over. I've run the same Saturday route for about 15 years, so I have to believe some of these people (if not most) have seen me running. I know people fake car trouble to rob people, but I'm in hi-visibility clothes, on my hands and knees, with no vehicle nearby. Wouldn't someone stop to see if I needed help?

For the 50 people that passed me and didn't stop: you don't deserve the same punishment as Mr. Telemarketer. I hope you get a hair in your food and step in a puddle in the kitchen and have to have soggy socks all day.
I still managed to get 9.5 miles in. I'll be going out this afternoon with a rake to see if I can find the key.

</Rant>

I hear you @OldSlowGoofyGuy! Hope you found that key. Ironically, I have a reverse story. I just started my training for the WDW 1/2 marathon a week ago and today was my 5 miler. During the first mile a driver came close to hitting me on a rural road. Picture this, I'm running against traffic, car nearly hit's me, the pickup truck coming in the other direction leans on the horn and flips off the car that almost hit. Slows down and says "what the hell was that?". That actually gave me a jolt to know that there are some good guys out there. If I was in GA I would have pulled over to help you!

ATTQOTD-I don't have a team in the fight, Go Clemson Tigers! Unfortunately if LSU wins that means Alabama can skip the SEC title game again and go right into the playoff. Rooting for a good game for you @LSUlakes !

bama%2Blsu.jpg

Y'all, I ran in Manhattan and my GPS only went a little nutty!

View attachment 363143

(I was actually running down 91st, not through the buildings)

But it's so much fun to run through the buildings!

...no, I wouldn't know. My runs in Manhattan were either along the High Line or Hudson River Park. I don't think I ever got as far north as 91st, to be honest. GPS was fine by the river, but wasn't especially happy on the High Line.

A Tale of Two Races – A Dickens of an Experience (sorry about the length)

It was the worst of times. It was the best of times. It was the season of sweat. It was the season of comfort. It was the summer of walk. It was the winter of run.

Marathon 1 (first marathon ever, 61 years old, foolishness? possibly? probably? definitely!): USAF Marathon, WPAFB, Dayton Ohio, September 15, 2018. I had run twice in the USAF half. It is close to home and covers familiar territory. Goals: A – 4:30, B – 5:00, C – Finish. The race began in foggy conditions at 7:30 at 72°F, 96% humidity. Typically there is a flyover but this year it didn’t happen or wasn’t visible because of the fog. The course runs between two areas of the Air Force Base. The first three miles go up and down about 150’, thereafter the course is relatively flat except for an overpass or two. Around mile 5, the course enters a base housing area where residents come out in support – candy, bacon, drinks, cheering, signs and more. Between miles 8 and 10, the course exits the base and enters the older section of the city of Fairborn. This was the best of the course. The town folks came out in mass and cheer with veracity. USAF personnel appear throughout the course to offer encouragement. The course runs along the north side of the primary runway and passes by Huffman Prairie where the Wright Brothers refined their early invention. There are some pretty lonely yet scenic stretches on this course between miles 15 and 18. The waning miles return back to the start which is located adjacent to the US Air Force Museum.

At race start, the Event Alert System (EAS) classification was moderate (yellow) and I considered some pace adjustments accordingly. My first half time was 2:19:35. My A goal was out but I was still looking good for the B goal. Two or three miles later the aid stations indicated that the EAS rating had been raised to High (Red). By mile 17, I was starting to feel the heat and began to alternate walking and jogging. By mile 21, everyone was walking. The EAS rating had been elevated to Severe (Black). My completion time was 5:43:17. At least I had achieved the C goal and finished. I didn’t realize then that the C goal had been in more danger than I had thought.

Race results indicated that I was 27 out of 30 for my age group which was discouraging. I thought I had performed a little better than that. I later found out that the course was officially closed around noon. About 500 runners that were behind me and had yet to reach about mile 20 were boarded onto a bus and transported ahead of me to the finish line. Some chose to cross and receive medals. Others decided that since they had not actually finished the course that they would not cross the finish line. Race organizers issued an email explaining the circumstances and rationale. The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature reached and exceeded 85, and medical were overwhelmed with dehydrated and overheated runners. Organizers offered complementary entry into the 2019 or 2020 marathon to anyone that was stopped while on the course. The fact is that the weather was just brutal.

My feelings were that while I had technically completed a Marathon, I hadn’t actually ran a Marathon. The latter half felt more like a long distance walk. I expressed this to my coach. She thought about it and recommended considering the CNO Financial Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis. After some deliberation, I decided to commit – the second tale.

Marathon 2 (second marathon ever, obviously LOL): CNO Financial Monumental Marathon, Indianapolis, Indiana, November 3, 2018. This Race starts and finishes by the Indiana State Capital building. It is very well attended and has sold out the past 6 years. For the first 7 miles, the half and full share the same route which winds past many famous downtown buildings. With the split, the marathon continues northward along Fall Creek and follows a long circle-ish pattern through mostly Indy neighborhoods through mile 23. Then the course turns south for the final leg back into downtown.

In contrast with the USAF Marathon, the starting temperature was a cool 35°F. It felt warmer than the 2018 Disney World Half even though the temperature was about the same. The pack was broken into 5 waves, the first of which started at 8:00. I was assigned to wave 4 which had a predicted pace slower than I planned but certainly acceptable. The course was wide enough in the early stages that running at a planned pace was not encumbered.

The McMillan calculator predicted that I was capable of ~4:13 and my coach indicated that she thought I had a 4:15 in me. I was skeptical based on the work reported by @DopeyBadger that the factor applied for marathon calculation is higher for less experienced/slower runners. Nevertheless, the target pace was set at 9:45 and off we went. The time for the half was 2:08:30. OK but the big question was whether the pace could be maintained for the second half. New territory here. Would the dreaded wall make an appearance? The 30K (18.6 mile) split was a bit slower. The last 8 miles will be remembered for both agony and ecstasy. The feet kept moving. The lungs kept breathing. The heart kept pumping. The mind kept encouraging. In the end, the final 8 miles were at a 9:50 pace and the net time was 4:19:07.

It’s farcical logic but there is a path that the time gets to ~4:12. If the overage of 0.25 miles (~2 minutes and I diligently tried to run the tangents) is removed and the Porta-Potty time (5 minutes) is removed (if only my bowels would have cooperated), then it gets to 4:12 as McMillan predicted. Of course this is whimsical thinking. Both these times were legitimately incurred as part of the official time and are fair for inclusion. What a hopeless dreamer…

In retrospect, both marathons were good experiences for different reasons. I learned some things about myself in both races. I especially look to those last 8 miles of the Monumental. That was an experience that made all of this training and time worthwhile.

I’m uncertain if I’ll run another marathon. This may be a one(two)-and-done thing. I don’t want to give up the fitness level so I will try to keep running/training. I will probably stick to the half marathons for a while and see where that goes. From past experience, there needs to be an event or motivation and discipline becomes fleeting for me. The Walt Disney World half is next scheduled event.

image.jpg
At Monumental with USAF outfit.

Last edited:
Texas 10 Katy race report:

This was the 2nd race of my 3 races in 3 weeks. Going into the race, I was just planning on running a nice consistent race. Woke up seeing that there was a band of showers heading into the Houston area. At least there was no lighting showing up on the radar. The rain hit my house at 6am before I started heading to the race site. Driving to the Katy area, the rain sorta came in waves, sometimes light, sometimes heavy. The rain pretty much stayed that way the whole race. About 10 minutes before the race, it started getting heavy again. Everyone pretty much was staying under tents or overhangs by the school where the race site was. I think this was the first time I noticed that there was zero line for the porta-potties right before the start of the race. They did not call the 10 milers to the start line until they were ready to start the race.

The race started in the steady rain, and pretty much rained like that the first 3+ miles. The next 4 miles was either a drizzle or nothing. Around between mile 7 and 8, it picked up again. Fun times.

My legs actually felt really good for this weeks race, so I tried to stay under 7:45 for the first 5 mile lap, and then pick it up the second lap. Even after the hardest week of training, I was able to keep up the pace I liked. Avg of 7:41 for the first 5. Since I decided to pick up the pace, I picked out some runners in front of me to try and catch. I was able to get a couple of them but the one I was really trying to catch finished about 30 seconds in front of me. 2nd lap was an avg of 7:22, and finish time of 1:15:22 with an avg pace of 7:32. With the weather and the north wind, I was very happy with how my legs felt.

31/236 overall, 25/96 male, 4/15 age. The rain certainly kept a number of people at home today.

It was the worst of times. It was the best of times. It was the season of sweat. It was the season of comfort. It was the summer of walk. It was the winter of run.

Marathon 1 (first marathon ever, 61 years old, foolishness? possibly? probably? definitely!): USAF Marathon, WPAFB, Dayton Ohio, September 15, 2018. I had run twice in the USAF half. It is close to home and covers familiar territory. Goals: A – 4:30, B – 5:00, C – Finish. The race began in foggy conditions at 7:30 at 72°F, 96% humidity. Typically there is a flyover but this year it didn’t happen or wasn’t visible because of the fog. The course runs between two areas of the Air Force Base. The first three miles go up and down about 150’, thereafter the course is relatively flat except for an overpass or two. Around mile 5, the course enters a base housing area where residents come out in support – candy, bacon, drinks, cheering, signs and more. Between miles 8 and 10, the course exits the base and enters the older section of the city of Fairborn. This was the best of the course. The town folks came out in mass and cheer with veracity. USAF personnel appear throughout the course to offer encouragement. The course runs along the north side of the primary runway and passes by Huffman Prairie where the Wright Brothers refined their early invention. There are some pretty lonely yet scenic stretches on this course between miles 15 and 18. The waning miles return back to the start which is located adjacent to the US Air Force Museum.

At race start, the Event Alert System (EAS) classification was moderate (yellow) and I considered some pace adjustments accordingly. My first half time was 2:19:35. My A goal was out but I was still looking good for the B goal. Two or three miles later the aid stations indicated that the EAS rating had been raised to High (Red). By mile 17, I was starting to feel the heat and began to alternate walking and jogging. By mile 21, everyone was walking. The EAS rating had been elevated to Severe (Black). My completion time was 5:43:17. At least I had achieved the C goal and finished. I didn’t realize then that the C goal had been in more danger than I had thought.

Race results indicated that I was 27 out of 30 for my age group which was discouraging. I thought I had performed a little better than that. I later found out that the course was officially closed around noon. About 500 runners that were behind me and had yet to reach about mile 20 were boarded onto a bus and transported ahead of me to the finish line. Some chose to cross and receive medals. Others decided that since they had not actually finished the course that they would not cross the finish line. Race organizers issued an email explaining the circumstances and rationale. The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature reached and exceeded 85, and medical were overwhelmed with dehydrated and overheated runners. Organizers acknowledged offered complementary entry into the 2019 or 2020 marathon to anyone that was stopped while on the course. The fact is that the weather was just brutal.

My feelings were that while I had technically completed a Marathon, I hadn’t actually ran a Marathon. The latter half felt more like a long distance walk. I expressed this to my coach. She thought about it and recommended considering the CNO Financial Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis. After some deliberation, I decided to commit – the second tale.

Marathon 2 (second marathon ever, obviously LOL): CNO Financial Monumental Marathon, Indianapolis, Indiana, November 3, 2018. This Race starts and finishes by the Indiana State Capital building. It is very well attended and has sold out the past 6 years. For the first 7 miles, the half and full share the same route which winds past many famous downtown buildings. With the split, the marathon continues northward along Fall Creek and follows a long circle-ish pattern through mostly Indy neighborhoods through mile 23. Then the course turns south for the final leg back into downtown.

In contrast with the USAF Marathon, the starting temperature was a cool 35°F. It felt warmer than the 2018 Disney World Half even though the temperature was about the same. The pack was broken into 5 waves, the first of which started at 8:00. I was assigned to wave 4 which had a predicted pace slower than I planned but certainly acceptable. The course was wide enough in the early stages that running at a planned pace was not encumbered.

The McMillan calculator predicted that I was capable of ~4:13 and my coach indicated that she thought I had a 4:15 in me. I was skeptical based on the work reported by @DopeyBadger that the factor applied for marathon calculation is higher for less experienced/slower runners. Nevertheless, the target pace was set at 9:45 and off we went. The time for the half was 2:08:30. OK but the big question was whether the pace could be maintained for the second half. New territory here. Would the dreaded wall make an appearance? The 30K (18.6 mile) split was a bit slower. The last 8 miles will be remembered for both agony and ecstasy. The feet kept moving. The lungs kept breathing. The heart kept pumping. The mind kept encouraging. In the end, the final 8 miles were at a 9:50 pace and the net time was 4:19:07.

It’s farcical logic but there is a path that the time gets to ~4:12. If the overage of 0.25 miles (~2 minutes and I diligently tried to run the tangents) is removed and the Porta-Potty time (5 minutes) is removed (if only my bowels would have cooperated), then it gets to 4:12 as McMillan predicted. Of course this is whimsical thinking. Both these times were legitimately incurred as part of the official time and are fair for inclusion. What a hopeless dreamer…

In retrospect, both marathons were good experiences for different reasons. I learned some things about myself in both races. I especially look to those last 8 miles of the Monumental. That was an experience that made all of this training and time worthwhile.

I’m uncertain if I’ll run another marathon. This may be a one(two)-and-done thing. I don’t want to give up the fitness level so I will try to keep running/training. I will probably stick to the half marathons for a while and see where that goes. From past experience, there needs to be an event or motivation and discipline becomes fleeting for me. The Walt Disney World half is next scheduled event.

View attachment 363247

Congrats on smashing your original 4:30 A goal! Dealing with heat can be no joke.
My dad was born in Dayton and I had family in Centerville for years. I was born in Indianapolis too. Small world :)

Race results indicated that I was 27 out of 30 for my age group which was discouraging. I thought I had performed a little better than that. I later found out that the course was officially closed around noon. About 500 runners that were behind me and had yet to reach about mile 20 were boarded onto a bus and transported ahead of me to the finish line. Some chose to cross and receive medals. Others decided that since they had not actually finished the course that they would not cross the finish line. Race organizers issued an email explaining the circumstances and rationale. The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature reached and exceeded 85, and medical were overwhelmed with dehydrated and overheated runners. Organizers acknowledged offered complementary entry into the 2019 or 2020 marathon to anyone that was stopped while on the course. The fact is that the weather was just brutal.

View attachment 363247
Truly inspirational post. Thank you for sharing. End of 2019 or beginning of 2020 should bring my first and second Marathon experiences so I is great to learn from others.

My runs in Manhattan were either along the High Line or Hudson River Park. I don't think I ever got as far north as 91st, to be honest. GPS was fine by the river, but wasn't especially happy on the High Line.

I was fine on the bike path along the west side highway. It was just the streets that were a problem :)
(and I was that far north because I kinda live up there)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter