• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

We’ve been under heat advisories since like last Friday. Just being outside for more than 5 minutes results in sweat everywhere. We did an 8am walk on Sunday with the Ridgebacks and we were soaked.

My husband hasn’t run real mileage since last Wednesday. He got maybe half a mile run during Sunday’s walk since Qi’ra is too young for more than short walks and we needed to burn energy off Gantu since he was finally able to exercise some post surgery if under our supervision.

QOTD: It's officially summer now, so I wanted to ask how is everyone enjoying their summer runs so far?

I'm having a hard time with motivation right now. June's just been a mess in general, with getting used to having the older kids home and schedule interruptions like summer camp.

Other than that, they've been fine. Getting a bit warm, probably time to start carrying water even on shorter runs.

QOTD: It's officially summer now, so I wanted to ask how is everyone enjoying their summer runs so far?

I've enjoyed the few that I've done, mainly because I know that as uncomfortable as Houston is right now, conditions will only be worse once I'm settled in Dubai in August. I'm not looking forward to having to be on a treadmill again, but I will gladly accept advice on headphones. My Jaybirds are dead and I need something different this time around.

ATTQOTD: I'm not allowed to think about running until my follow up appointment on July 11th. I miss running but I'm not super upset that I don't have to run in the heat and humidity.

Yesterday's QOTD: I've enjoyed watching running documentaries that others have already mentioned (Spirit of the Marathon, Barkley Marathon docs, etc) but doubt I will see the movie in theaters. We seem to only make it out to animated/kid movies these days. Going to the movies is one of the things I really miss from before having kids. I will still go by myself when I can but its hard these days.

Had a couple good early morning runs when June first started. If I'm done by 8:00 its not bad. Last run was last Monday after work and it was 92 outside so that sucked. I haven't run since then (donated blood, then cut my heel) and probably wont run again until next week. I joined a training program through my local running store for a fall half and that starts up August 1st. That should help keep me on track during Aug and Sept which are usually our hottest months it seems. With Dopey training starting officially next week I have the motivation. I'll just embrace the heat when I can't run early.

ATTQOTD: Not my best month of running, not my worst. I have a little over 30 miles logged so far, will probably hit around 40 for the month. We've been going on a lot of walks with the nice weather, so walking with my DH has replaced a lot of running this month, which is a-ok! Also please no one remind me that I ran more miles in 1 week of marathon training ;)

Running related but not otherwise related to anything here: just got gifted a Garmin 245! Recently passed a big milestone work- wise and my fam chipped in. It replaced my well- loved 220 that I bought refurbed a couple years ago. I wanted to buy from our local running store, but they were sold out and weren't sure when they'd get a shipment, so it should be here from Amazon tomorrow!

ATTQOTD - Today - I spent 2 weeks in April and 3 weeks in May in Florida, so my summer running got off to an early start. I love running in the heat. I loosen up faster and stay loose throughout my runs, which means that I almost never have muscle injuries or soreness during summer months. I just have to remind myself to drink, drink, drink.

😰

ATTQOTD: “Summer runnin' had me a blast; Summer runnin' happened so fast.”
Summer came early and has been H. O. T. especially since I have spent June in Florida. I love running the beach and the sidewalks/roads. And I have not seen a barking dog off-leash all month. Because of the heat/humidity, I’ve been starting around 5:30-6:00. As an added bonus, the sunrises are magnificent!

@LSUlakes I ran the Remarkable River 10K in Port Orange FL, June 9 and failed to submit the time:
1:06:29, 136/231 total, 2nd in AG

Any recommendations for a good YouTube yoga instructor/videos? I need the guided stretching that yoga class provides, but having difficulty finding an instructor I like locally with a reasonable class time.

ATTQOTD, I was having a good June until the 17th when I seized up my back. 10 days later of good drugs and a TENS device and I am almost able to sit again without lots of pain. Going to be a long road back to where I was on the 16th.

. I didn't really eat any fruit because $2.25 for a banana is, well, bananas.

IKR! Poor YDS gets less fruit at Disney than normal because of the crazy prices.

I shared most quick service type lunches with DH. If we got a treat we shared it too. It turns out a half portion of most of their treats is enough to feel like you got your fix. Also because you will have been dieting a while you will see you are satisfied with less

Good idea! Thanks for sharing!

Not too bad. It's definitely hot and humid but I'm getting up about 5am so it's not horrible. The "horrible" factor is that I'm getting up at 5am when it's summer and I'm off work.

I have cut back a little in mileage and pace on a few runs because ODS has been going with me to get ready for the two virtual 5ks he wants to do.

ATTQOTD-so far so good. We've had some nice days but also some hot and humid ones. I'm also in the middle of a run streak which seems to keep me motivated. Two days ago I planned on running after work but a prolonged t-storm almost put an end to the streak. I eeked out 3.5 miles. I'm on a plane right now heading to Denver for work. Temps expected to be in the mid 90s the rest of the week. Guess that's better than snow.

ATTQOTD: Summer runs have been fine. For some reason I struggle in the morning when it's 73 but when it's 98 in the evening, I do great.

We saw TS4 today. It was cute. Probably the weakest of the four but still fun. I do think it should be the end of the series. I just don't see anywhere to go from here.

Wow, I get a few days behind really quickly. Haven’t seen any running movies that I can think of except one documentary

... “The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats It’s Young.”

I recommend them all. The source is even on YouTube, so you don’t have to pay for it.

I saw it as “Where Dreams Go To Die”
Thought it would be dull but couldn’t get enough, I can’t even imagine a race that awesome

As far as summer, I love the heat. Winters in New England can be long so I don’t complain about summer, I even run Casatway Cay in July

Any recommendations for a good YouTube yoga instructor/videos? I need the guided stretching that yoga class provides, but having difficulty finding an instructor I like locally with a reasonable class time.
I've been practicing at home for 25 years and am a big fan of Rodney Yee's programs! He has a gazillion different DVDs, anything from 15 mins to an hour or more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter