The Running Thread - 2019

Today I started my tempo interval workout on the track in light rain. The rain was supposed to stop soon. Well, the rain lightened up and shortly before sunset, there was a break in the clouds in the west, causing a huge rainbow to appear! Such a nice bonus to the run. But I ran way too fast in most of that interval. :) The photos really don't do it justice.

Hi everyone! Thought it would be fun to revisit an old question, what do you do with all of your running medals?
For many years I used to keep mine in a shoebox, put them on a spare Christmas tree, or forget about them.

Always wanted to come up with a better way to display them. We purchased a medal hanger that was not only expensive but ridiculously small.
So I did the next best thing....I made my own.

Went to Lowe's, bought two aluminum poles, 6 curtain rod holders, and a can of spray paint. Spent less than an hour painting and assembling.

Total cost= $35 total for both poles.

Here's what it looked like about a year ago. Have a few more medals to put on it but you get the idea.

View attachment 446540

How to do you display your Medals?
957EC6EA-1671-43E1-A7F5-2A6202973C35.jpeg

A metro shelf in my dining room.

My medals are invading our walk-in closet. I have rearranged them recently to make room for my 2020 medals (3 challenges = 14 medals!). DH is already talking about removing the hooks below (which he already lowered once so we need to repaint) to make room for my next medal hangers.:rolleyes1
ETA: We need to work on the lighting too!

So my are currently on the top of a book shelve in my bedroom. DH says we should hang them out and I agree, but we are thinking about buying a house in the next year so we will probably wait until we are settled. I like the curtain rod idea. I have also saved my bibs for now and are on the same book shelve.

View attachment 446594View attachment 446595

Here is my current medal situation. My sister bought me the one on the left and I bought the one on the right after Dopey 2018. Still have a few that need to be added to the display and am trying to decide if I want to do anything special with my Chicago medal.

I don’t keep all my bibs, but do have ones that are special to me set aside.

I see your Great Smokey Mountain race medals! That race is on my bucket list and one of the reasons I’ve been training for the half distance! I ran the Grand Teton Race this June, and it was spectacular scenery! And surprisingly not hilly!

Question: For Disney races, do you set a goal in your mind? I know some people run these for time but I'm guessing that the majority do it for fun. How do you calculate what your goal should be with character meet and greets? Or do you just not care what your time is?
No goal for Disney races, just fun for me.

B850E8ED-1D12-4485-854A-23F874F48B0D.jpeg

My current medal situation. It’s been over a year since I have been able to add any to the collection. It is just a curtain rod. It was pretty simple. I have a while to go before it’s full. Once it’s full I’ll figure out what to do next. I have my bibs. I write the times on the back for each race. I keep them in a binder in protective sleeves.

View attachment 446926
This isn’t me. :teeth: But this picture brings up something I have been thinking about again recently. This is from someone I follow on IG. She ran an ultra on this hip a month ago. She’s been having pain so she checked it out today. She’s having surgery tomorrow. It just reinforces to me what a crazy thing it is that we do. I have been so sore lately as I ramp my miles back up. It’s taking longer than I hoped it would. But then I see things like this and remember @Wendy98 and her X-ray. I think you people are crazy. Then it hits me, “well dummy, you ran a marathon and then 6 months after on two torn tendons in your ankle. You’re crazy too!”

Whether someone on here is running 5k’s or ultra’s what we do is pretty amazing. To us it seems like nothing but to the majority of the population they couldn’t dream of doing what we do and we do it for fun.

As you can tell I have had a lot of time to be philosophical out on the streets as I build my mileage back up.

I was laughing at myself the last couple of days as I struggle on sore legs. I had a goal of doing an Ironman before I turn 50. I may not do a full but I have been looking at 1/2’s to try and figure out the best place to pull this off. @FFigawi John, if I decide to go for it I may need to pick your brain. :rolleyes1 I’m only 46 so I still have time but it’s been on my mind. I just want to get an injury free year under my belt before I tackle bigger goals.

D883C28E-3164-4D74-8D65-2160906DEE59.jpeg

I was laughing at myself the last couple of days as I struggle on sore legs. I had a goal of doing an Ironman before I turn 50. I may not do a full but I have been looking at 1/2’s to try and figure out the best place to pull this off. @FFigawi John, if I decide to go for it I may need to pick your brain. :rolleyes1 I’m only 46 so I still have time but it’s been on my mind. I just want to get an injury free year under my belt before I tackle bigger goals.

Happy to help out any way I can. If you want to do a flat and fast 70.3, come join me in Dubai. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter