The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD-This time of year, I run on the treadmill on weeknights since it gets dark before leaving work. On Friday-Sundays, I run endless loops around my neighborhood. I start at one mailbox and run to the next, turn back and run to the next mailbox and continue to loop around and add another mailbox each loop. Try doing that for 6-10 miles!!! Several neighbors have asked me what I am doing and probably think I'm crazy. Occasionally I will actually run the entire length of the neighborhood (we live in a circle with cul-de-sacs) which works out to be 1.5 miles each time.

For travel, I look for a path, park, or sidewalk to go for a run. Safety first, not anxious to cross busy highways or run after dark. Found a great area near the new Gaylord hotel outside Denver this summer to go for morning runs before work.

I have a cruise later this month and will probably run endless 1/3 mile loops around the ship or use the treadmills.

Hey @LSUlakes, I hope you have been enjoying the season LSU has had so far. Coach "O" has had a good year.

Can't wait to see what Clemson does with OSU. (my daughter goes to Clemson). Should be a good matchup.
Hopefully a Clemson vs. LSU final this year. Now we can both say "Go Tigers!".

As others have said: Body Glide. For a half or longer, I apply it like car wax, everywhere except my face and bottoms of my feet. I apply it to the seams of shirts and shorts. I cake it on to my toenails. For a full, I'll carry a little one for re-application.

I previously did the bottoms of my feet, but stopped when I realized it was making me too slip-slidy.

Body Glide is relatively cheap compared to the investment in a marathon. You would be hard-pressed to put on too much.
a friend asked our running group for advice before his first marathon.

no one ever finishes a marathon and think's "i put on too much bodyglide", was the advice I submitted.

Question for the experts: how crazy would it be to do a 50K two weeks after Dopey? Crazy like a fox, because the Dopey training & races will feed perfectly into a 50K two weeks later? Or crazy as in INSANE because it would be my first ultra (unless we count the 27+ miles I managed to cover in my first marathon) and two weeks isn’t enough recovery or taper? If it factors, it’s a road race, not trail, (though it includes several pretty tall bridges, so at sea level but not flat) and I’m slow: my marathon PR is 6:20:xx with a few stops for restroom and pics. Dopey training is on track with my last b2b2b2b of 2/5/10/20 and another planned of 3/6/11/22 before a three-week taper.

Question for the experts: how crazy would it be to do a 50K two weeks after Dopey? Crazy like a fox, because the Dopey training & races will feed perfectly into a 50K two weeks later? Or crazy as in INSANE because it would be my first ultra (unless we count the 27+ miles I managed to cover in my first marathon) and two weeks isn’t enough recovery or taper? If it factors, it’s a road race, not trail, (though it includes several pretty tall bridges, so at sea level but not flat) and I’m slow: my marathon PR is 6:20:xx with a few stops for restroom and pics. Dopey training is on track with my last b2b2b2b of 2/5/10/20 and another planned of 3/6/11/22 before a three-week taper.
Crazy, but do-able. Last year I ran a PR half, a fun marathon with lots of hills, and then a crushed gravel flat 50k in three weekends. Not quite the same, but I survived. 😁

Not at all crazy. I ran Goofy this year and treated it as training runs for my first 50 miler 3 weeks later. Mileage-wise, there’s not that big a difference between Goofy and Dopey and the training you’re doing for Dopey will prepare you well for the extended time on your feet. I don’t know what you typically fuel with, but I would suggest introducing some more “solid” food to your training regimen so you know what you can tolerate on ultra race day. Also, pre-plan to walk some of the ultra. Especially those high bridges. I generally run straight through, but find regular walk breaks help a lot in the ultras.

Don’t get too hung up on the “ultra” tag and let it get into your head, either. 50k is only 5 miles more than a marathon. With your Dopey training, you’ll most likely be more than ready for it just from that training plan. You got this!

I think you would be fine. I would argue that a 50k standalone is equivalent effort to the marathon when running Dopey. By the time you get to the WDW marathon you are somewhat fatigued and maybe a little beat up. I run a 50k straight through and anything longer I do a 25run/5walk interval with the walk ~ 14min/mi pace.

You'll be fine. Treat Dopey as a fun 4-day training session, take a few days that week to rest and recover, and then add in some short but quality runs in the week leading up to your race.

Agree with everyone that if you treat Dopey as mostly easy and a training run, then you should be fine recovery wise to take on the 50k. If you push too hard in the Dopey marathon, then it would make the task quite a bit harder.

Hi folks!
Question for runners who wear contacts/glasses:

I was planning on wearing contacts for MW but I also don’t usually have to get up so absurdly early for events like this. because I don’t wear contacts often they’re sometimes a little more difficult to put in first thing in the morning. Should I just figure out how to wear my glasses instead? I’m worried about them falling off/getting uncomfortable with the sweat/being a nuisance in general. Anyone have any experiences they can share to help me decide?
Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be doing any more training runs outside to test wearing glasses which is making this more difficult

Hi folks!

I was planning on wearing contacts for MW but I also don’t usually have to get up so absurdly early for events like this. because I don’t wear contacts often they’re sometimes a little more difficult to put in first thing in the morning. Should I just figure out how to wear my glasses instead? I’m worried about them falling off/getting uncomfortable with the sweat/being a nuisance in general. Anyone have any experiences they can share to help me decide?
Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be doing any more training runs outside to test wearing glasses which is making this more difficult

If you're not going to be able to test it out, I'd suggest practicing putting your contacts in early, so you can maybe find a technique to make it easier on race day. I wear glasses and have never had an issue with them getting uncomfortable, falling off or sliding around during running. But I also wear them exclusively, so they are fitted for all day wear. The biggest suggestion on that front I have is that if they have separate nose pads, make sure they are silicone. Silicone nose pads typically have better grip and are better for keeping the glasses in place on the nose.

Crazy, but do-able. Last year I ran a PR half, a fun marathon with lots of hills, and then a crushed gravel flat 50k in three weekends. Not quite the same, but I survived. 😁
Not at all crazy. I ran Goofy this year and treated it as training runs for my first 50 miler 3 weeks later. Mileage-wise, there’s not that big a difference between Goofy and Dopey and the training you’re doing for Dopey will prepare you well for the extended time on your feet. I don’t know what you typically fuel with, but I would suggest introducing some more “solid” food to your training regimen so you know what you can tolerate on ultra race day. Also, pre-plan to walk some of the ultra. Especially those high bridges. I generally run straight through, but find regular walk breaks help a lot in the ultras.

Don’t get too hung up on the “ultra” tag and let it get into your head, either. 50k is only 5 miles more than a marathon. With your Dopey training, you’ll most likely be more than ready for it just from that training plan. You got this!
I think you would be fine. I would argue that a 50k standalone is equivalent effort to the marathon when running Dopey. By the time you get to the WDW marathon you are somewhat fatigued and maybe a little beat up. I run a 50k straight through and anything longer I do a 25run/5walk interval with the walk ~ 14min/mi pace.
You'll be fine. Treat Dopey as a fun 4-day training session, take a few days that week to rest and recover, and then add in some short but quality runs in the week leading up to your race.
Agree with everyone that if you treat Dopey as mostly easy and a training run, then you should be fine recovery wise to take on the 50k. If you push too hard in the Dopey marathon, then it would make the task quite a bit harder.
Thanks all for the input! I do run-walk intervals, so yeah - there WILL be walking lol! I tend to like to run uphills, so I may need to make a metal effort to walk more of those bridge inclines. And yep, the thought that it's "only" 5 more miles than a marathon (and knowing that I cover a lot of extra ground at WDW that I would not in this), is definitely the motivator. I have a cast-iron stomach, so fuel shouldn't be a problem: gels + Tailwind are my marathon go-to, but I can throw in a bag of pretzels, too. The biggest issue I have right now is that this race weekend has historically been terrible weather-wise: extreme cold (yes, in FL!), high winds, rain, race cancellations - I think there's only been one year out of 4 or 5 that it went off without weather issues. But I do own a lot more cold weather gear than I once did, so there's that?!

ETA: Never mind. It took some searching, but I finally found the info I needed: there is a time requirement and unless planets align and a miracle occurs, I cannot meet it. But now I'm kinda thinking I'll try tackling 50K on my own. I don't need a medal or other recognition - that's not important to me. But doing 50K before I turn 50 might be a neat personal accomplishment...

Last edited:
Hi folks!

I am a glasses wearer but have contacts that i only wear for running/triathlons. I do most of my training runs in glasses. An older pair not quite the right prescription but good enough to wear running. I also have prescription sunglasses i wear running.

That being said i always wear my contacts for MW. This is why. Even though my regular glasses are transition so will get darker when it gets light, at 5:30 is it dark. At 11 AM it can be bright and then i want my real sunglasses. I don't want to carry two pairs, so i wear my contacts and have cheap sunglasses i have on my head until the sun comes up. If it is actually overcast and you dont have to worry about the sun then you have to worry about rain. Does not matter if i wear a visor my glasses get wet. If its raining i wear my contacts.

I suggest get some practice putting in those contacts early. I know it sucks i am with you. I literally wear my contacts only for races or rainy training runs.

@C.beara ......I think it really depends on your comfort level. I've done both but prefer contact lenses when I run. I tend to be sensitive to bright sunshine and always want my sunglasses with me.

Is it possible to practice putting them in early and try to acclimate yourself before the race? If not, make sure your glasses are comfortable and won't bounce around too much.

Hi folks!

Could you ask your eye doctor for a sample of Air Optix Night/Day contact lenses? I wear contacts on a daily basis and I love these contacts. I only have to replace them once a month and can sleep in them without issue. I honestly forget they are there until I get past that month mark and then I can tell I have contacts in. I've worn them for many extremely active activities that make me sweat and swimming and such.

Thanks wow quick replies!

The biggest suggestion on that front I have is that if they have separate nose pads, make sure they are silicone

unfortunately I went for the “cool looking” plastic frames, so not having the silicone is what I was worried about.

I literally wear my contacts only for races or rainy training runs.
This is me exactly, and I do most training on a treadmill so never use glasses then either, So I never thought to wear my glasses on an outdoor run... whoops

I wear contacts on a daily basis and I love these contacts.
That’s a great suggestion, I may look into this.

Otherwise I’ll be practising putting in contacts with sleepy eyes a few times before next month. Or digging out my really old glasses with silicone nose pieces.

thanks all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter