The Running Thread - 2019

@McNs So sorry about your dog.

So Race Report: Today I "Ran the Bluegrass".....or should I say, the Bluegrass ran me...into the ground. I picked this race as a pre-Boston "rolling hill" training run with the plan to do 2 mile warm up and 10-11 at Marathon Pace (in the 9 mpm range). The fact that they sell a shirt that simply says "Hilly, Hilly" (which, if meant, is a cute take on Bud Light), should have tipped me off. Even though I have specifically tried to do some hill training, I am clearly just not meant for the Horrendously Hilly or even Relentlessly Rolling. I felt like quitting by about mile 4, but did not. I felt like walking up every hill, but did not. The one hill that everyone said was killer (a compound hill, around a corner, so Surprise!, more hill awaits!) was, IMO, not as bad as the constant up and down of the rollers. There were occasional sprinkles and the wind in spots was not appreciated.

I finished in 2:00:10, and managed not to run any one mile slower than 9:30, so that's good. My legs are trashed (Hip Flexor and possibly right ITBand which had been whispering this past week or two), so no running til Boston. I got the dreaded 4th place in my AG.

So after all this, I have to say that the course is beautiful---closed country lanes through horse country. The race is well organized, the post-race food (chocolate milk, an awesome donut, bananas, assorted snacks, water, beer, goetta burger) was good, they arranged some neat tours and other activities. The medal is great--last year's Triple Crown Winner, Justify. I would definitely recommend it.

Race recap: Bentonville (AR) half marathon, 3/30.

I impulsively signed up for this race two weeks ago because I decided to do a statewide running challenge to do eight different halfs in Arkansas in two years. So I opted for this one first, because Bentonville is a surprisingly fun little town.

Weather was thunderstormy so they delayed the start by 30 minutes. Thankfully I splurged on a hotel across the street from the start line, so I just hung out in my room. I imagine I would have been frazzled if I was sitting in a car or standing around a big community center then.

Once we got started it was fun! Good crowd support from residents, though not much by way of entertainment or fun food stops. (I am spoiled by those races when businesses set up their own tents and hand out eats/drinks - yes I will take a beer!)

Weather was super windy and drizzling and a little cold. I have chafing in places I didn’t realize could chafe. But I was in a good place mentally and just kept plugging along.

Mile 12 is a giant steep hill that goes on forever (you weren’t kidding @ZellyB) but I made it. I was hoping for a sub-3 hr finish but no dice. I ended with 3:04:23 which is a 2-minute PR! I’m happy especially considering the hills and the weather.

The medal was fab, but tinypic isn’t cooperating right now. I also got a hoodie made out of tech material, a custom Junk headband and a water bottle. Pretty great swag.

Thanks all for the thoughts, likes and virtual hugs.

March running report - ZERO. Ankle still no good and I still haven't made it to a physio...

Fun Friday race - I reckon a Fantasy Land Classic - dress up as a character from your favourite Fantasy Land character

Hi @LSUlakes, Could you please add the following races?

May 2019
18 - rootbeerkid - Tie Dye 50k (Finish/ N/A)

Nov 2019
9 - rootbeerkid - Monumental Marathon (3:59:59/N/A)

Thanks for all you do!

[Edited to add monthly totals] March totals: 194 miles, 10:09 average pace

Last edited:

March totals:
30.5 miles
10:12 hours

I ended up taking this last week entirely off when a quick work trip turned into a 22-hour cross-country solo rescue road trip to save a very pregnant Texas shelter dog! I spent most of Wednesday and all of Thursday driving her from Houston to a rescue foster in Moab, Utah, and then getting back home to Salt Lake. I missed a snowstorm by an hour! Well worth missing all my workouts this week, imho. Look at that sweet face!!!

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 5.10.37 PM.png

I leave Wednesday for WDW and the Star Wars challenge, so I'll do one last easy run today.

In March I ran 145.85km (91 miles) which is the most I've ever run in a single month! My runs are also getting further - was doing mostly 4km runs in February but in March upped it to mostly 5km runs with some longer runs. Also walked (as exercise) 213.41km (133 miles).

Unfortunately plantar fasciitis did not get any better in March and the first few steps after rest are still agony! Thankfully it settles down after a couple minutes and I don't notice it much at all when running/walking.

Might need to decrease the walking in April, but hoping to keep up the running! Running a 10k next Sunday and am debating doing a half at the start of June...

March:

73.8 miles

I relay wanted to get out there today and do an easy run to get it to an even 75 but this cold/virus/whatever is kicking my tail. I completely missed my 4 mile run on Friday due to being sick and I attempted my 8 miles yesterday and only made it halfway. Now it is taper time before my half in two weeks.

March
120.8 miles
22.3 hours
11:05 pace

@Smilelea The cold/virus/pollen/whatever is kicking my tail also! The sore throat hurts most, but the swollen, teary eyes, coughing, sneezing, blowing my nose, difficulty breathing part really messes with my runs. I'm glad it's taper time. I'm trying hard to heal before Star Wars next weekend, but with the sickness and the predicted humidity, it may be slow going. Hope you are well before your half!

March 2019
running: 107.2 miles
--average pace: 11:18 min/mi
--total time: 20.2 h
tennis: 7 h

My marathon was March 17, so my running really tailed off after that for recovery. I also took some time off from tennis before and after my marathon to rest before and recover after, so all of these stats are down.

March Miles: 93.7
2019 Miles: 255.7

I ran two races in March, the Hot Chocolate 15k (new PR!) and the St. Paddy’s Day Half (5 sec. behind my PR). It was a good month for running and spring weather finally arrived in Seattle mid-month.

April will begin with my annual trip to Arizona! A week and a half of running outside (I stick to my treadmill at home) in the desert. I can’t wait for the sunshine and warmth. I’m running a 10k later in the month and historically, my Arizona training has served me well. We’ll see if I am able to earn a faster PoT for Wine & Dine than my March 15k...

March Training Summary
Running duration = 10:12 hours
Running mileage = 69 miles
Average Pace = 8:52 min/mile (about 20% slower than estimated LT pace)
Average HR = 137 (70% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 28:38 hours (PR)
Indoor Cycling mileage = 430 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 162 watts (67.5% of FTP); New FTP of 240 watts
80 Day Obsession = 22:00 hours
Total Training Time = 60:50 hours (PR)

That was a busy month of training. The most prior was 48.5 hours in January 2019. So this was another step upwards up into the realm of nearly 2 hours of training a day. Things are still going well. I'm still running at only easy pacing for another 2 weeks. Then, I'll have completed 8 weeks of easy running leading into some real run training. Still little to no issues with the ankle, so happy with the progress thus far. Not where I was, but still making my way back.

I've never posted here but I'm going to jump in. My March total was 83 miles. I'm running a 10K on Thursday afternoon to get my qualifying time for Wine and Dine and then will just continue to run for fun for a while before I start to train for November. I'm hoping for around a 9 minute mile on Thursday which would be in line with all my runs but it's supposed to be 80 degrees here that afternoon. Nice of Spring to join us just in time for that race. Ha!

I’ve been away from here for most of the month, so time to play catch up.

First, my races for this month:

09 - KevM - Winter Pickle Run Trail Series No 3 My first trail race! It was a muddy day. 50:46

14 - KevM - Pi Day 5K Philadelphia I was looking to do my Pi run in Pi time and I managed to hit that mark exactly. 31:41

16 - KevM - Conshy Classic 5K PR’ed it! 26:13. Beat my old PR (which I only set New Year’s Day) by 1:51.

23 - KevM - Phillies 5K Nice things about this 5K, got to do a cool down lap on the warning track of Citizens Bank Park and also got 4 free tixs to a game. 27:21

31 - KevM - Love Run Half-Marathon PR’ed it! 2:00:38. Beat me old PR by 8:56. For most of Feb and March I wasn’t feeling good about this race at all. Then my last long run last Sunday went excellent and I started to fell good about it. Then when I Got in the corral this morning I was standing right behind the 2:05:00 pacers. So I decided at that moment to try for a PR. I ran with the 2:05:00 for ~4 miles and felt great so started running faster and ended up almost breaking 2 hours.

March Totals
mileage - 130.6
Pace - 10’15”

I’ve made this long enough but tomorrow I’ll have races to add for April, which is a jammed pack month for running.

Last edited:
First, I’d like to thank @AntimonyER @PJofNB @TheHamm @PrincessV and others who echoed my thoughts a while back when I let go of my distance/speed objectives while waiting for the winter to end.

I am glad to report that by focusing on having fun while running, I ended up doing pretty well anyway:

March totals:
Distance: 105km (65 miles)
Average pace: 6’36“/km (10:37min/mile)

I am keeping my official date to resume speed training or to stick with a formal plan: April 16th or whenever I succeed registering for Marathon Weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter