• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I don't always answer but always enjoy the QOTD. I enjoy the thread in general as it is my only social media interaction. Now that I think about it, it's my only social interaction. I need to get out more.

Also willing to contribute an occasional QOTD.

Might as well make it official:

July 4 : @OldSlowGoofyGuy Peachtree Road Race 10K (52:00 / NA)

Last edited:
QOTD: Do you find this thread informative and helpful with regards to running topics? Do you come here for the QOTD and answers or for other reasons? Do you think the thread needs more content or could we use fewer QOTD's?

I am having a hard time keeping up lately for various different reasons. I am debating if keeping the thread going is doing good for anyone or if I added less content would people still check in and reply?
I used to ignore this thread because I falsely believed that it pertained to much faster and more serious runners than me. But one day I jumped in and opened myself up to a whole new perspective on what it means to be a runner. There was a time when I never even considered running a marathon. This thread and so many helpful posters here inspired me to consider the marathon. When I got cold feet about registering for the marathon, this thread helped me work through my fears because I was able to give voice to my fears and receive tremendous feedback from other runners here. In short, I never would have signed up for the marathon if I wasn't participating on this thread. And when I hit a very rough patch during marathon training, I knew I could come to this thread and this community and find people who would listen to my fears and help me work through them. I've said it before and I will say it here now. While I almost always run races by myself, this community helps ensure that I do not run them all alone. And a lot of that comes from this thread.

As others have said, I learn so much about running from this thread. I enjoy running so much more now than I used to precisely because of what I learn from this thread. And I am completely confident that I had a much more enjoyable first marathon in large part because this thread taught me more about running so I had a better idea on how to handle the wall.

Now, I also understand that this thread can be time consuming for one person to keep on top. I want to see it continue, but I have no problems if we community source the QOTDs. When it comes to the upcoming race posts, I feel like it's perfectly okay to just make a post saying good luck to anyone with a race this week instead of having to take the extra time to list all the people with races. In this case, the thought truly counts and I certainly do not want to see anyone feeling additional stress because they have to keep on top of this thread and/or come up with new content every single day.

Another idea is maybe it can be changed to Question of the Week. A lot of people seem like they can't get to the thread every day anyway. This way people can chime in and answer the question any time during the week and of course, the various related and unrelated chatter can continue as well.
I like this idea too.

I do find the thread helpful. I don’t think a daily question is necessary all the time but it’s a great place for people to ask and discuss running in general.
Absolutely. In my family, only my little sister is a runner. Since I'm a guy and am also 11 years older than her, we face different challenges. So this thread gives me an outlet to ask questions, receive feedback, and learn from others more experienced and faster than me. And speaking as a slower runner, I am very grateful for the more accomplished and/or faster runners in this community who view me as a fellow runners and assist me where they can. I know I never would have signed up for the marathon without this thread. And I know this community helped me to finish the marathon having had a great experience because so many helped prepare me. While I did not know and could not know what the wall would feel like, I was prepared to deal with it thanks to things I learn here.

I do have a question of my own. I'm the (really really really) happy new owner of a Garmin 245. How can I get the most out of it? What running metrics should I pay attention to? I had a refurbed 220 previously so I'm used to having basic gps but nothing fancy. Already love having a step counter (used to run in Fitbit + 220 which just looked kinda goofy). I like having HR info but I'm not sure how to use it optimally.

Am sure others will chime in, but the metric i really love is cadence. My new PT, who i have been seeing for a while, when she first watched me run that was the first thing she noticed. It was SLOW, a lot slow, and so i focused on trying to get it up. While it is still not as high maybe as it should be it is a lot higher and for me it has helped my running. At least I think so. I look at heart rate to but i don't do much with the data.

ATTQOTD: I don't always answer but always enjoy the QOTD. I enjoy the thread in general as it is my only social media interaction. Now that I think about it, it's my only social interaction. I need to get out more.

Also willing to contribute an occasional QOTD.

Might as well make it official:

July 4 : @OldSlowGoofyGuy (52:00 / NA)

ATTQOTD: I am like OSGG, I don't respond to all of them, but I do enjoy reading this thread. It is not my only social media but it is the bulk of it.

I guess you can copy OSGG for me as we will be running together :) (basically to meet each other and then see who is going to melt into a puddle first.

I was just updating the race list and accidentally clicked something wrong and I lost everything I've updated and I had already deleted my list of past and upcoming races to update :( If yall could so kindly, re post your results and upcoming races I will add them to the OP when I get a second chance.

Thanks!

7/4 - AntimonyER - Hilton Head Island Firecracker 5K - (NG / N/A)
9/14 - AntimonyER - Savannah Sunburn Half Marathon - (NG / N/A)
12/14 - AntimonyER - Kiawah Island Marathon - (3:04:59 / N/A)

I enjoy the thread and the QOTD. I have learned a lot by reading other responses here and helps me stay motivated. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know!

One race update: 7/4/ - Neon Cactus - 5 on the 4th 5 Miler - (NG/NA)

How can I get the most out of it? What running metrics should I pay attention to?

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

tenor.gif

All of the metrics can be useful with the understanding that they're additional tools in the toolbox. To get the absolute most out of any device, make sure that all the relevant personal stats stay up to date. Height, weight, gender, age, maxHR, restingHR, etc. because many of the metrics pull from these variables to calculate their values. On my Garmin 235, I probably pay the most attention to resting HR variability, HR variation during runs, VO2max estimation (which is simply a shift in the HRvPace relationship), and cadence. The Garmin 245 also has Training Status, Training Load, and Pulse Oximeter measurements which could be valuable, but since my 235 doesn't have them I can't speak to their usefulness.

QOTD: Do you find this thread informative and helpful with regards to running topics? Do you come here for the QOTD and answers or for other reasons? Do you think the thread needs more content or could we use fewer QOTD's?

I am having a hard time keeping up lately for various different reasons. I am debating if keeping the thread going is doing good for anyone or if I added less content would people still check in and reply?

This, and the 2020 Marathon Weekend thread, are our go-to DIS threads. And the DIS is the only social media-type thing we do. As others have said: QOTD is a way to learn from others, share a laugh, and enjoy all that is running. Even if we don't reply, or remember to hit like, we read/lurk more often than we post on the thread. It was this thread, and other MW ones, that got us to commit to MW 2020.

DH here. ATTQOTD: I'll be working, while DW is off. I'm off Friday for working the holiday. DFIL is coming on the 4th. Main plan for my 3 day weekend: run 1 mile pain-free Friday. Hopefully 3-4 miles on Sunday.

@LSUlakes :

July 4 - Mrs. PaDisneyCouple - Shoe House 5 Miler 1:10:00/xx:xx
August 24 - Mrs. PaDisneyCouple - Rail Trail 10 Miler 2:10:55/xx:xx

For @LSUlakes and reconstruction of the race list.

I'm in agreement with everyone, too.

- Love the QOTDs and think rotating it a great option.
- Also love the idea of just doing a QOTW. I'm good with either option.
- I have learned so much on this thread and absolutely love the encouragement from everyone. I never would have considered running my first half last January nor would I have ever (ever ever ever) consider a full marathon (hopefully 2022) without this thread.

ATTQOTD: I enjoy the QOTD, the race calendar and results, and the weekend race recaps. So much great information has been shared on this forum over the past four (?) years. Hate to see it go away.

Keeping it going on a daily basis may be too much for one person to handle. Maybe it's time to solicit help from the rest of us to help post a QOTD. Or reduce the QOTD to M-W-F format? We're here to help.

I really enjoy this thread even if I don’t get to it every day. I enjoy hearing about others races and learning from each other. I do not get here every day when I’m busy so I imagine it is hard for one person to manage. I would be okay if we changed up how we run the thread.

ATTQOTD: I like the QOTD and so find the answers other people give to be informative. As others have said, I’m always up for asking the QOTD. So, if need be, we can have people take turns or as someone else suggested going to a M-W-F schedule.

ATTQOTD: I like the QOTD and this thread a lot. I read it all but sometimes skip the Like action. I understand that creating a new question everyday is a lot of work. It is ok to repeat some from last year too. Good luck!

ETA: Thank you so much!
Also, first post seem ok... The following is unnecessary, you have it all.

@LSUlakes for the first post (I can also copy in a Spreadsheet):

February 17 - @flav - Hypothermic 1/2 Marathon Oka (NG / 2:27:44)
April 28 - @flav - Mont-St-Gregoire Maple Run 5k (DD 35:00 / 28:27)
May 26 - @flav - Ottawa Half-Marathon (NG / 2:07:18)
June 8 - @flav - Demi-Marathon des Vignobles St-Paul-d’Abbotsford (NG / 2:03:26)
August 4 - @flav - San Francisco Golden Gate Double 5k + 3k (45:00 / NA)
Aujust 25 - @flav - Rougemont 5k des Vergers (DD / NA)
September 22 - @flav - Montreal Marathon Oasis Rock’n’Roll (Finish / NA)
January 9 - @flav - runDisney MW Dopey 5k (NG / NA)
January 10 - @flav - runDisney MW Dopey 10k (NG / NA)
January 11 - @flav - runDisney MW Dopey Half-Marathon (NG / NA)
January 12 - @flav - runDisney MW Dopey Marathon (NG / NA)

Another idea is maybe it can be changed to Question of the Week. A lot of people seem like they can't get to the thread every day anyway. This way people can chime in and answer the question any time during the week and of course, the various related and unrelated chatter can continue as well.

I agree that going to a weekly format makes sense. It will be much more manageable but keep the conversation changing and interesting. Instead of a Question of the Week, though, I would suggest a Topic of the Week. That way people could interpret the topic in various ways throughout the week. Also, anyone can always post a running or fun question whenever they want to spice things up.

This, and the 2020 Marathon Weekend thread, are our go-to DIS threads. And the DIS is the only social media-type thing we do. As others have said: QOTD is a way to learn from others, share a laugh, and enjoy all that is running. Even if we don't reply, or remember to hit like, we read/lurk more often than we post on the thread. It was this thread, and other MW ones, that got us to commit to MW 2020.

I have the same two threads open on multiple devices and try to check them regularly. Also my only social media. I learned a ton here as a lurker and even more after jumping in, and I really enjoy the qotd. That being said, I can hardly keep up answering, I cant imagine trying to organize and track an entire thread with this amount of activity. Thank you for what you do @LSUlakes, and I don’t think this thread will go away if there isn’t a qotd.

Race recap Peachtree Road Race

It was HOT. T+D of 148 when I left home. We left a little after 5:30, but departing the train station we won’t the LONG way around to the coral. We were there at 6:35. I was looking for @OldSlowGoofyGuy but I knew he was going to be there around 6:45. I found him,

783C7F2A-8CF0-443B-BECE-892ED0C27820.jpeg

We decided we would try for 52 but I was not sure I could do it. Did I mention it was hot? We had a nice chat at the beginning and aimed for 8 minute miles for the first 3 miles and then 8:40s for the last 3. Did not happen. We did finish in 54:08. I was happy to be in under 55 still. Not my best PRR showing but with the temps I think that was pretty good.

Next I met DH and we headed home. Took showers and then brought Mallory back out to view the race. OMG she had so much fun and lots of pets. She still has to go to the vet today, then she is going to be wiped out. She loved it though.

Hey guys! Sorry to be gone for so long, but I am just now getting back to where I can talk about running. Unfortunately, starting with my general internist appointment that I had 2 days after the marathon, I’ve been on a 5-month adventure that led to a colonoscopy that didn’t go as well as planned and surgery to remove 2 large colon polyps (that fortunately ended up being “not yet cancerous” thank God!) at the end of May.

So, I write now because I have the all-clear to start light jogging back in a few weeks! No marathon weekend this year for me, unfortunately, but I am aiming for maybe Star Wars next spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter