The Running Thread - 2019

Good luck this weekend: First goal is to start. Second is to enjoy and finish, I guess?
I guess I didn't state any goals, and they do not fit in the first post's format!
11/3- TheHamm - Wine & Dine Half Marathon (feel comfortable enough to stop for all the pictures I want to, breakfast beer, feel good enough afterwards to keep up with my kids for the day/N/A)

Question: Does anyone decide to skip a race for which you have poorly trained?

I don't race that often, but haven't been in a situation where I've gone into a race under trained. I think the I would DNS if I was injured, sick or would injure myself by running... otherwise, I would adjust my expectations/time goals. I wouldn't want to waste the entry fee.

I DNS’d a 10K once, three years ago, when my daddy died.
Otherwise, I’ve run through plantar fasciitis, runner’s knee, bad colds, and bad weather. I’ve run at the end of a stomach virus, a week after a subarachnoid hemorrhage, and with a pulled calf muscle. When I run under duress, the goal is to finish the race God has put before me in the best way I can. Like @Waiting2goback, I’m stubborn. And like @camaker, I modify expectations.

The day will probably come when I cannot race due to illness or injury, but that’s not today!

In the "It doesn't take much to make me happy category"..... I discovered that my Gasparilla race shirt--in which I hadn't yet run, even though the race was in February-turns out to be a nice, long, relatively loose, lightweight transitional LS shirt. Worked great today on my 50 degree run-which is generally short sleeve weather, but sometimes I just don't want to be cold walking out the door. Plenty of space to push up the sleeves.

So nice when a little thing makes you happy.

Not due to lack of training, but twice I registered for our local Turkey Trot, and twice I woke up, saw that it was cold, said "Nope," and went back to sleep. I haven't registered for it since, lol! I DNF'd a race that I was only racing for time - around the halfway point the heat was too much and I knew there was no way I could make that time, so I walked to my car instead of finishing because my car was closer than the finish.

As far as W&D, that's an expensive race to get nothing from - what about just starting it, taking it easy, and seeing how it goes with no self-imposed pressure to finish?

Depends on the roller coaster.
^Yes, this. because I'll always take the back seat of BTMRR over the front!

In the "It doesn't take much to make me happy category"..... I discovered that my Gasparilla race shirt--in which I hadn't yet run, even though the race was in February-turns out to be a nice, long, relatively loose, lightweight transitional LS shirt. Worked great today on my 50 degree run-which is generally short sleeve weather, but sometimes I just don't want to be cold walking out the door. Plenty of space to push up the sleeves.

So nice when a little thing makes you happy.
This yea'rs shirt, right? One of the few race shirts I actually wear - sooooo soft and comfy!

It would likely take an act of god for me not to DNS a race. I have moved down to a shorter distance due to lack of training, but never DNS. I mean, I "ran" a 5k this summer on crutches and in an AirCast 3 weeks after ligament repair on my ankle, with my surgeon's permission of course, and my first marathon as part of Dopey 2017 was done after coming down with a stomach bug Friday night and not eating all day Saturday. If that won't stop me, I don't know what would other than being physically unable to move.

I have DNS’d twice - the same half marathon. The first time was because I was attempting a PR, but became pregnant (and had already achieved my goal time during an earlier race). The second time was because I couldn’t fit it into my marathon training. I swear I’ll run it one day!

I see your Great Smokey Mountain race medals! That race is on my bucket list and one of the reasons I’ve been training for the half distance! I ran the Grand Teton Race this June, and it was spectacular scenery! And surprisingly not hilly!

Yes! The GSM half isn't all that hilly either....the Shenandoah Half the week before, however, is a monster. :)

I was considering how poorly this last month of running has gone for me (unexpected travel, sick kids, sick me, aching hip, trading sleep for halloween costume construction etc), and how I am already disappointed with my performance at Wine & Dine. Internal dialog resulted in silently whining to myself about how terrible it will be, and then internal monologue told me to stuff it, I am not about to skip the race, along with a combination of other supportive and chastising commentary. It led me to wonder under what circumstances I would skip a race. And then I wondered when others would skip a race.

Also, internal monologue assured me that logically I will still finish and make it to my first fast pass, and I will have fun. My goal of not feeling wiped out afterward may not be achievable ever, but is probably a target I will miss.

ATTQOTD: I don't do very many races, so I'd only skip a race if I was seriously injured or sick (or major family emergency, natural disaster, etc.). I am also cheap, so I don't like to pay for what I don't "use".

This made me wonder how many races I really have done since I started running in 2013.
2013: 2
2014: 4
2015: 4
2016: 4
2017: 3
2018: 4
2019: 4 so far, with one more planned - a new PR for # of races per year!

When I race so rarely, there's a pretty a pretty big build-up to each one, so no way I'm going to miss it.

In general I try not to DNS but it happens. Once when I was injured. I ended up with a blood clot so nope was not running that half marathon. The other time was when it was too cold and wet for a non A race. It was local but the weather was bad I envisioned slipping on ice. this was about 4 weeks prior to Disney so nope was not running that one.

I guess I have been lucky. I have not had to DNS a race because of injuries. I did change one race earlier this year to a virtual, since we had to take the eldest kiddo to a college program that was the same weekend....and I needed to keep my race series streak active

Now, let me go find some wood to knock on, so I can keep up the streak

Well, looks like I fished my wish and will be able to do my first sub-zero run tomorrow morning. (Weakly)-yay.

Not quite as bitter cold down here in the Salt Lake valley, but yikes! That wind! I will not be out in that today as I'm traveling and swapping my workouts around this week.
I did run 9 in the snow on Sunday and it was lovely, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter