The Running Thread - 2019

I’m actually debating if I’m going to DNS a race on Sunday. I’ve been sick. I’m starting to feel better, but I’m not sure how much better I’ll feel by then. My biggest concern is not being able to finish it if I start. That would really suck and I’m not sure how I’d handle that.

What corral did you get into this year? Looks like it is showing me as D. I think I'm always in C or D. Looks like we can look forward to 32 degrees at 7am but no snow or rain yet. I'm gonna wear layers for sure! brrrrrr

Also I'm going to expo when it opens tomorrow.

I'm not sure how, but I got corral A. I paid to have the packet shipped to my house, so I don't need to go to the expo (very happy). I plan on shedding a layer at the start, and as long as the wind isn't too bad (we seem to be right on the border of when the wind picks up on Sunday), I think it will be pretty good weather.

I'm not sure how, but I got corral A. I paid to have the packet shipped to my house, so I don't need to go to the expo (very happy). I plan on shedding a layer at the start, and as long as the wind isn't too bad (we seem to be right on the border of when the wind picks up on Sunday), I think it will be pretty good weather.
This is the race I’m deciding on. But I’m slow and in the last corral for the 15k. I won’t have too much room to take it easy.

I've been having a similar issue with my FR935 recently. It just stopped automatically downloading the runs, but everything else uploads fine. The workaround that I've found to get them to upload (this is for iPhone) is to do the following in order:

1. Turn off watch
  2. Force close the Connect app
  3. Turn on watch
  4. Open app
  5. Press the sync button in the app shortly after the watch shows as paired
In the few instances that this hasn't worked, turning the phone itself off between steps 2 and 3 has gotten it to work. It's an annoying issue. Good luck!
I've had this issue with my FR230 lately. Seemed to start right after I installed a recent update.

I’m actually debating if I’m going to DNS a race on Sunday. I’ve been sick. I’m starting to feel better, but I’m not sure how much better I’ll feel by then. My biggest concern is not being able to finish it if I start. That would really suck and I’m not sure how I’d handle that.
This is the race I’m deciding on. But I’m slow and in the last corral for the 15k. I won’t have too much room to take it easy.

Other than the recent sickness, how has training been going? If you feel like the distance isn't a problem, just speed, then I would say take it easy and use it as a training run. It's always fun to run with ten thousand other runners!

Other than the recent sickness, how has training been going? If you feel like the distance isn't a problem, just speed, then I would say take it easy and use it as a training run. It's always fun to run with ten thousand other runners!
Pretty good, I would say. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage in and finished two 9+ mile runs (I’m a new runner - this is my first race above 10k)

I might just go for it, but it’ll definitely be a game time decision. If I can’t finish? I’ll just walk off the course and head home. That would suck, but it might suck more to not try at all. I don’t want to regret it. I still have a full day to recover!

If you feel physically up to it, there's no harm in running the race. Don't be scared off by the chance of DNF. Partial completion is still better than DNS. Good luck @StacyStrong . You've got this!

85.6 miles in October....steadily building!

Hope everyone had a fun Halloween! And enjoy wine and dine!

I’m heading to Vermont this weekend for a 10-miler - it’s the 3rd in the New England 10 miler series. And hilly (1st 5 miles are straight up Mountain Rd!)

Bummer!! Just got notice that my 10 miler is canceled due to storm damage from a bad storm last night. Understand - but sad, especially since it was the last race in a 10 miler series I did this year!

Still going to get my 10 miles in - and maybe a few extra!!

Hi, all! It's been a LONG time...quite a lot has happened in the past few months.

- Spent July in Hong Kong, before everything really erupted. Had a great time, dropped a bit of weight (amazing what 100% humidity + mountains everywhere + having to manage a dozen 7-year-olds and lead them up 5 flights of stairs each day will do). Spent a day at HK Disney, which was pretty amazing -- went on Mystic Manor 5 times, the CM even gave us certificates for riding it so much!

- Started a new job! Full time! With benefits! One of which is a rather sweet gym in the building and paid time to use it (!!!), so I'm hoping this will lead to *finally* getting consistent with training for the future. It's all been an amazing help for mental health, too...just feeling beyond fortunate.

- When first meeting my two supervisors: "oh, we should tell her about the Spartan races!" yup, my coworkers have formed Spartan teams. A couple of them are regular marathoners. One of them was recommending the Air Force Marathon...it looks like the half gives a nice buffer of 6 hours, so that might actually be doable...hah, guess I'm going to be adding some new races next year.

- Survived year 4 of tackling the Baltimoron (Baltimore Running Festival -- you do the 5k first and then the half marathon). With how much Hong Kong kicked my butt, I was ready for this in August, but fell off a bit with starting the new job and just trying to settle. It was a bit frustrating as my right foot cramped about mile 2.5 of the half and no matter what I did, it wouldn't loosen :( and got a blister on my left foot despite the constant re-application of vaseline. However, all told, I PR'd my 5k by about 2 minutes and the half by 5, so I'm overall pleased :D

- Looking ahead to Space Coast next month...talked a new friend (coworker for the gig in HK) into joining me, so that should be quite a lot of fun. Have the Philly 8k between now and then, and starting to look at some races to sign up for next year...

Hope everyone is well -- from the bits I was able to catch up on, there have been some amazing races recently. Good luck to everyone in NYC this weekend!

I started in the last corral for the 15k last year at Chicago Hot Chocolate. My pace was 14 minute miles. When we finished there were still 5k runners finishing - like a sea of moving people finishing. Give it a shot, if at the 5k split off you aren’t feeling it just turn off with them.

Word of advice, do not trust the pacers! We were leapfrogging one woman who clearly had no idea what she was doing about mile 5, talked with her, she took off and we passed her again just after Soldier Field where she was running in place because she was so far ahead of where she needed to be.

Pittsburgh 10 Miler (1:09:00/1:08:14)

My favorite distance to race, just far enough where you can settle in to a pace but short enough where you can push it if you want. The course is just the reverse of the first 10 miles of the marathon course here. Some hills in the first three miles but the second half of the course is relatively flat (just one bridge). Weather was around 27 degrees at the start but actually felt pretty good once you got moving. Finished in 1:08:14, a new PR for this distance by a minute.

They tried to theme each mile after something Pittsburgh related. Second to last mile they were giving out pierogis. That's probably one of the last things I'd want to eat, let alone while running.

Zombie Runner Halloween Half Marathon recap (11/2) - last PR attempt, another wall of text:

Background: I was actually supposed to run a half marathon last week, but it was cancelled a few weeks ago and luckily I found this one! It's local and small, but unfortunately it's also cup-less. I experimented with handhelds and a hydration belt, but neither worked. I ultimately ran with a small water flask that fit in my flipbelt. It only holds 6 oz of water!

More background: After a hugely successful marathon, I was mildly disappointed to miss NY marathon time qualifying standards by 14 seconds. I wanted to capitalize on my fitness gains during the training cycle and try to qualify using a half marathon time.

@DopeyBadger helped devise another plan for me and this time I struggled throughout this training cycle. Stopping in the middle of runs to catch my breath, unable to hold tempos, feeling generally exhausted. I really didn't think it was possible for me to run 1:37. @DopeyBadger believed in me and I persevered.

I still had huge reservations of meeting my goal time but felt good about at least PR'ing.

Race Day:
Temp + dew point was perfect: 80 the entire time with almost no wind!

It's a costumed race and initially I was going to go in my race day attire, but changed into a fun Christmas themed singlet last minute. Half the participants had really cool costumes, the other half were in regular running clothes.

9am - half and marathon runners start. Then a ringer showed up! I knew she was going to be blazingly fast and I could kiss any hope of 1st overall female goodbye. I toed the line since I knew there was no chip time, only gun time. Started off too fast but slowed down immediately so as not to trash my legs. I always always always fade at the end of my halfs so maintained about a 7:12-7:20 pace.

This was a trail race, but 90% is paved. One thing I learned during the race: 4%'s and and trails do not mix! I almost turned my ankle several times on the rocks! In general, it was well marked but at several junctions there was no signage. The ringer added at least an additional mile because she had no idea where she was going when there was a 3 way split in the trail. At around mile 11, I took a wrong turn and went over a bridge and into a park and realized no one was there and had to double back as well - adding 45 seconds to my time.

I could feel my hamstrings and calves almost on the verge of cramping during the last 1.5 miles but powered through. The last 0.1 miles into the finishers chute was a wet and muddy and SLIPPERY mess, which wasn't helping my calves - but I made it! Besides that wrong turn, I was able to maintain 7:09-7:18 pace, last mile at 6:59 pace, and even kicked at the very end.

Yes, the ringer was first overall female. But if she hadn't had to double back that extra mile, she would have easily won 1st overall. Her husband had to accept her award (with their baby) as she was running an extra 7 miles!

A goal: NY Qualifying time: 1:37
Time: 1:35:13!!!!
5th overall (out of 96)
2nd female overall (out of 51)

I'm so thankful to @DopeyBadger for another amazing plan. I honestly did not believe I would achieve my A goal since I couldn't even hold 7:17 pace during my tempo runs, but his plan worked a miracle! I felt great afterwards and after accepting my award, rushed off to my son's soccer game.

And with that, I bid adieu to my attempts at PR'ing! My DH has been incredibly supportive during these last 2 training cycles, but I promised him that it was over after this, so I'm ecstatic that I was able to achieve my goals!

Last edited:
I started in the last corral for the 15k last year at Chicago Hot Chocolate. My pace was 14 minute miles. When we finished there were still 5k runners finishing - like a sea of moving people finishing. Give it a shot, if at the 5k split off you aren’t feeling it just turn off with them.

Word of advice, do not trust the pacers! We were leapfrogging one woman who clearly had no idea what she was doing about mile 5, talked with her, she took off and we passed her again just after Soldier Field where she was running in place because she was so far ahead of where she needed to be.
How does that work? If I did need to split off at the 5k, would they call you a 5k finisher? Never considered it.

thanks for the advice!

I would just go for it. Hot Chocolate is such a supportive race for those at the back of the pack, similar in a way to Disney runs. I was very undertrained for my hot chocolate race a few weeks ago. I just made a last minute plan to run continuous 3-4 miles and then run/walk the rest. I started in the last corral towards the front, did continuous for the first 5k. There were quite a few walkers and everyone was cheering each other on. Even the people manning the water stations were all yelling and cheering for everyone. And you can’t beat chocolate at the end. It sounds like you guys will have true hot chocolate weather. It was weird drinking hot chocolate for ours it was upper 50’s at the end.

I have a question that feels a bit goofy. I’ve tripped running a couple times lately and busted up my knees and palms both times. The first time was on a trail, which I was relatively new to, so I attributed it to the new surface. Today was on a sidewalk, though it was pretty uneven. There were a bunch of dogs barking at the time which definitely made me a little nervous and distracted.

This has never happened to me before. I’m not seriously injured or anything, but I really don’t want to be!

I did look at the tread on my shoes and it was more worn than I realized, so I suppose that could’ve contributed.

Any tips to keep from falling while running? Do I need to just suck it up and realize this happens sometimes? I’ll spare you the bloody knee pics, but I attached one of my shoe treads. image.jpg

I would just go for it. Hot Chocolate is such a supportive race for those at the back of the pack, similar in a way to Disney runs. I was very undertrained for my hot chocolate race a few weeks ago. I just made a last minute plan to run continuous 3-4 miles and then run/walk the rest. I started in the last corral towards the front, did continuous for the first 5k. There were quite a few walkers and everyone was cheering each other on. Even the people manning the water stations were all yelling and cheering for everyone. And you can’t beat chocolate at the end. It sounds like you guys will have true hot chocolate weather. It was weird drinking hot chocolate for ours it was upper 50’s at the end.
Sounds like a fun time! I hope it ended well for you! Thanks!!!

Yeah I’m going for it. I did a quick half mile this afternoon just to see what it would feel like. It wasn’t pleasant, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be!

I really wanted this to be a goal race, but there will be plenty of other races in the future

they were giving out pierogis. That's probably one of the last things I'd want to eat, let alone while running.
Try them as your carb dinner, with the butter and onions on the side. What could be better: boiled carbs wrapped in boiled carbs! I grew up in Pittsburgh.
Any tips to keep from falling while running?
Balance exercises. Stand on one foot for 30 seconds. When you can easily do that, try it with your eyes closes. When you can do that, try it standing on a pillow.
This exercise is great to do if your job requires lots of time on the phone. Take your phone calls like a flamingo.
It works on multiple levels: strengthens your foot and ankle, improves balance, quickness, and proprioception https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception#Stability

It makes you less likely to trip and less likely to fall if you do trip.

You can find lots more on the internet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter