The Running Thread - 2020

A question for all the Strava users out there, or I guess more of an observation that I know the answer to but value input on things I don’t know about.
I‘m signed up for the NYC virtual marathon which requires an upload to Strava upon completion. Ive never used it, and after trying many apps I found that I like my Apple Watch and the activities app that comes with it. So I downloaded Strava and after a bit of research and tweaking some settings my runs appear in Strava with all associated info as they should, but all come up short on the distance. It seems Strava modifies the GPS to what it thinks is more accurate than the original device and on the loop I run this is costing me .2 - .25 miles every 5 miles. That’s a potential for 1.25 miles or more over the course of my virtual 26.2. It seems that there isn’t anything I can do about it but have others had the same experience with any devices? Do I have to run 28 miles to be sure I get credit on race day? I would be upset if I run a marathon and get listed as DNF for only registering 25 miles.
I can attest t the same. Strava always seems to round down. I have seen many a comment from users that have accepted this fact and always run a little extra to make sure Strava gives them credit for the full distance. I know I at least add an additional 0.01 miles...sometimes more if it is an important number you are trying to achieve (need those Strava badges!).

Can you download the Strava app and track the run using that rather than just the Apple activities app? That should upload reliably. Maybe give it a couple of test runs.

I think that’s my plan, going to unsync from the watch and use the Strava app on the phone. I usually don’t carry my phone but I really like the info the activities app displays on the watch while I’m running and don’t want to give it up, so I’ll go on a couple shorter runs with two separate devices and see what happens.

Last edited:
I think that’s my plan, going to unsync from the watch and use the Strava app on the phone. I usually don’t carry my phone but I really like the info the activities app displays on the watch while I’m running and don’t want to give it up, so I’ll go on a couple shorter runs with two separate devices and see what happens.

Earlier in the year, I switched over to a combo of Garmin for training metrics and tracking and Apple Watch for cellular/safety and audiobooks/music. I love the combo, especially not having to carry my phone. I just don’t like the Apple Watch as a training tracker. Nothing feels natural or well-integrated with it, especially with needing multiple apps to get anywhere near the capability of the Garmin.

SMH, some days you just forget the details. Problem solved, I went back through the setup and found out that I gave permissions for everything but then must have toggled off the access to ‘running and walking distance’
It was guessing based on the route I think. Deleted and reimported and now my mileage is within the .01 everyone was mentioning.
Thanks all, I just have to remember most computer errors are user error

Sharing bad personal news: my mother-in-law passed away today from COVID-19. We were there at the end. I loved her like my own mother and she loved me like her son.
So sorry for your loss. I hope and pray that you will find peace and comfort during this difficult time, buoyed up by the memory of all the good your mother in law did for you and your wife. I can think of no better tribute as to the type of person she was than what you shared about how she treated you.

A question for all the Strava users out there, or I guess more of an observation that I know the answer to but value input on things I don’t know about.
I‘m signed up for the NYC virtual marathon which requires an upload to Strava upon completion. Ive never used it, and after trying many apps I found that I like my Apple Watch and the activities app that comes with it. So I downloaded Strava and after a bit of research and tweaking some settings my runs appear in Strava with all associated info as they should, but all come up short on the distance. It seems Strava modifies the GPS to what it thinks is more accurate than the original device and on the loop I run this is costing me .2 - .25 miles every 5 miles. That’s a potential for 1.25 miles or more over the course of my virtual 26.2. It seems that there isn’t anything I can do about it but have others had the same experience with any devices? Do I have to run 28 miles to be sure I get credit on race day? I would be upset if I run a marathon and get listed as DNF for only registering 25 miles.
I used Strava on my iPhone a few times and it considered that I can fly over rivers. I would be stressed too. Take screenshots if you can, just in case you need to settle a dispute?

@Kerry1957 congratulations on your PR, I also ran RTB on Saturday and a PR on a course with almost 1000 ft. of elevation gain is a feat to be proud of. I liked the course this year and the morning was all we could ask for. The race director said they are trying to keep the fall date as a new race in addition to the usual spring Run the Bluegrass. I hope you enjoyed your time here and hope you can make it back down again.

The limits of a virtual race, report

Sunday was the day I was supposed to run a Marathon but it was canceled two weeks before. I had thought of going run there anyway but our region has been declared a red zone so we were asked to stay in our region.

I decided to drive to my mom, leave the car and run home. That route is a mix of roads, bike paths, and gravel walking trails in city parks. It was my first time running it in that direction and using alternative routes to avoid traffic. The temperature that morning was perfect, sunny and going from 8C to 12C. My goal was to run a half-marathon virtual race.

I did my usual pre-race routine, breakfast and warm up.

I was carrying my phone, three bottles (8oz, 8oz, 5oz) filled with one diluted Maurten 320, one Gu Expresso Love, one Xact Fruit2 orange, some wipes and a mask.

When ready, I started two applications on my phone: NRC and JustMove. I have been using NRC forever so that is where my history and my shoe usage are held. The JustMove app has an option for some virtual racing, giving your stats and some encouragements every 500m. I admit, I was surprised that being told that I was third or fourth place and where the closest runner was (virtually) helped slightly.

I was trained to run a marathon and translating that training into pushing a half was not super obvious. So I settled closer to marathon pace.

Around the 9th km, I entered a park and ended up on a weird trail that brought me back where I had started. I lost a bit of time wondering where I was going and asking for directions.

At 14-15-16km I was getting stressed because I realized that there was no water fountain ahead and that meant that I was not going to be able to drink nor take my gels/chews. It threw me off and at that point I was thinking that I really hated to push for speed on long distances. I only accelerated once I accepted that I would have to do with what was left in my bottles, after all there was only 5k to go.

When I stopped my apps at 21.1k, it was bitter sweet. I was 49sec over my official race PR (2018). Not bad considering:
  • Marathon tempo training vs Half
  • Virtual vs real race (I cannot fool my mind that it is real so maybe 95% effort) although the JustMove app helped
  • Almost no fuelling, 21oz of water with one Maurten 320 total
  • Getting lost on a trail
  • Being two years older than when I PRed
But also not great, I would not have been in shape to keep going at that speed for another 21.1k.

So, I want a revenge and beat that PR. Same route without the detour, assume no water stop. I am planning it on the date when my next Marathon (NYC) was supposed to be: November 1st. Motivation: A themed medal. DH has ordered it and he is the keeper (he is also a keeper but that is another story).

In the end, a virtual race doesn’t replace a real race but with a clear objective (time goal in my case) and some virtual support, it can be better than some training run.

How are your virtual run helping you? What challenges do you face with them?

Has anyone ever used a Versaclimber? I am thinking of buying one of those for cross training this winter to help reduce impact on my joints that have been giving me trouble the last couple of years, while also strenghthing muscles I don't normally use, hoping to eliminate all these stupid injuries I have been fighting. All the reviews I read are good on this thing but it's $2000 so I would like to hear from a "real" person that has had any experience with it if possible.

The videos I have been watching are clearly real people but you never know if they have another motive to push it.

How are your virtual run helping you? What challenges do you face with them?
I found that a virtual race gave purpose to that day's run. My running had been okay during the pandemic and I was sufficiently trained for my virtual 10K and 5K back to back, but the virtual race had me focused to get out there.

My challenge came when runDisney's upcoming races went virtual. Because now I had too many virtual races with something that appealed to me.

@Kerry1957 congratulations on your PR, I also ran RTB on Saturday and a PR on a course with almost 1000 ft. of elevation gain is a feat to be proud of. I liked the course this year and the morning was all we could ask for. The race director said they are trying to keep the fall date as a new race in addition to the usual spring Run the Bluegrass. I hope you enjoyed your time here and hope you can make it back down again.
Thanks! I would love to make it back down for the Spring race in 2021. The fall race will probably be too close to Wine & Dine. My only regret is that I did not discover this race a few years ago, as I really enjoyed it. I also planned on running the Mini Indy HM this year, and hope to run it next year as well.

@Jules76126 so sorry for your loss. I was in your shoes 34 years ago. All the platitudes of friends didn’t really help, but moving on did. Glad you are able to do that with running.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy Also, I’m sorry for Pam’s and your loss. A great mother/mother-in-law really is a precious gem.

Obviously I am behind in reading and posting. We left for WDW September 29th, so my final run for September was around CBR/Riviera loop. Having been in Destin during Hurricane Sally, I was behind with my runs/mileage for September. So I needed at least 4.01 miles on the 30th to have 100 for the month.

Sooooo, September mileage:
100.1 miles at somewhere around 11:40 pace. The exact pacing stats aren’t on my phone app.

Congratulations to all of you who have had races! I skimmed through quickly, but saw some good times and great motivation.

Late to the game but here goes nothing:

September
Total: 68.94
Avg pace: 9:00

Gone are the halcyon days of 50+ mpw, 200+ mpm times. Work has increased and coupled with virtual learning, I dropped my training to 4 days a week, ran a virtual marathon and promptly injured my foot less than halfway through - talk about a slog at the end! Took 2 weeks off for recovery and foot finally healed. A little relieved to not need to train for anything as I feel like my speed and endurance are gone. I think I'll probably go back to my old post-partum plan of short runs to get back to 7:00 shape and add a few longer runs on the weekends time permitting.

Happy to hear how everyone else is progressing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter