The Running Thread - 2020

Congratulations to all virtual racers!
I am not running virtual NYC (so looking forward to the real one... postponing until 2023 if possible) but will do a virtual half this Sunday. Quick question: Do you wear your bib if you have received one?

We also wore our bibs, mine was on a race belt I could spin around if the picked up and made it flap a bit more. It's also the first time I've worn one for a virtual event. Felt special to wear for this one, and also, kind of wanted to let people know I was being crazy for a good reason if they still saw me running round town after 7 hours!

September: 69.25 miles
October: 52.37

October was lower than the last 4 months. I know why, and am trying to address the issues to keep it from happening again. This past week has prompted the transition from warm weather gear to cold weather gear as morning temperatures have been in the upper 30s.

We adopted a new dog September 12th. Lolly is a 4 1/2 year old Terrier/Spaniel mix. Hoping that Lolly eventually will get to the point where she can walk my shorter walks with me at a decent pace without becoming distracted/fixated. Pictures attached for those who want to see her. Since I am bored out of my skull due to Covid-19 isolation I started an instgram for her: LollyPirate. Sorry the pictures are sideways, I can't fix the rotation for some reason.

.IMG_3428.JPGIMG_3623.JPG

October miles = 143

October was the 30th month in a row that I ran at least 100 miles. I was also lucky enough to run 2 live races. I drove 100 miles to Providence, Ri to run a half marathon at the beginning of the month and then did a fun Halloween 5K with my daughter last weekend. Both races brought new PR’s. And with my 10K PR in August and marathon PR in January, I successfully completed the “PR grand slam” in 2020. Barring a possible Turkey Trot 5K with my other daughter who will be returning home from school on Thanksgiving for the rest of the semester, I am probably done with races until Spring 2021. Until then, it will just be typical winter maintenance for me.

September = 153
August = 148
July = 153
June = 140
May = 191
April = 164
March = 164
February = 101
January = 110

2020 total miles = 1,467

October 2020
Running
--153.6 mi(!)
--average pace: 11:37 min/mi
--total time: 29.75 h

That is a new monthly personal best mileage for me, beating the previous (which was last month) by about 16 miles. I had my peak training week for my upcoming live marathon.

Tennis
--10 h

A bit down from last month and lower than usual for this time of year, but this is due to covid safety issues.

Walking
--62.7 mi

I have been walking more and decided to track it monthly since starting the Circumpolar Race Around the World. This is up about 10 miles from last month, which was when I started tracking.

October 2020 totals
Distance: 166.4km (103mi)
Average pace: 6m20s/km (10’10”/mi)

A solid month running wise. The slower pace is by design: I got a new coach with a different type of plan. My running is spread over five days and the speeds are more polarized. Looking forward to see how I progress with this.

No new fuel tasting.

October Stats

160.1 miles
11:03 min/mi avg pace
29:28:58 total time

I had one in person half marathon race. Although not a PR, I beat the time I was hoping for (2:05), by 2.5 minutes (2:02:22)! The weather was pretty hot and humid for racing, so I was really happy with my time! I would like to get another under 2 half for POT, but knew that this race probably wasn’t it - I think I’m not quite where I was a couple years ago, but maybe not too far off.

I have a virtual marathon this month (Nov), and then on to virtual Goofy. No more immediate in person races on my calendar.

I figured maybe you guys would appreciate the pumpkins I did for Halloween. We only had 115 kids--down from our usual 250, but they enjoyed the evening. It was a Snow White kind of night.....

If anyone needs a candy hit, we have close to 200 pieces leftover. I expect I will need to run extra miles since I plan on eating a fair number of them.

PXL_20201031_225243799.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20201031_225212830.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Día de los Muertos Medio Marathon - Day of the Dead Half Marathon aka the virtual revenge

On October 4th, I ran a virtual Half to replace a canceled Marathon (Petit Train du Nord) and was deflated by the fact that I was within a minute of a PR. The idea of taking my revenge by running another virtual Half to replace another cancelled Marathon (NYRR), on November 1st, took root. To make it more official and fun, DH and I went medal shopping.

After enjoying the extra hour of sleep, I did my regular race morning routine: Eat breakfast, digest for a couple of hours, drive to the site (my mom’s place), warmup and go!

The temperature was around 5°C and slightly cloudy, perfect except for the wind at some point.
My goal was to beat my PR of 1:55:48. @DopeyBadger and I agreed on a race plan with a 1:53:00 best case target. That positive goal helped a lot.

Not having trained at the target paces this month, I had trouble getting the proper rythme. So km 1, 8, 16, 17 are way too fast, km 3, 13 are too slow and the rest is not really where it was supposed to be. The race itself was pretty uneventful except for crossing a runner dressed as a banana 🍌. I did not get lost and I had enough water to be autonomous. Those are little wins.

Like every time I push a race for time, I thought that this was not for me and I couldn’t do it for a Full 🤪. Fortunately, I tend to forget those pesky mental complaints by the time I am showered and fed.

As I approached our street, I was greeted by DH and DD who took pictures and put the medal around my neck. It was also kind of cute that they had a banana and a mandarin ready for me, even though we were a 100m from our kitchen.

So, drum roll please 🥁, my time was 1:54:01, it’s a PR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter