The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD: I usually run in my *hilly* neighborhood for any runs 7 miles or less. On weekends I will venture out on the busy 4 lane road that our neighborhood is on because traffic isn't bad then. If I want to avoid traffic and hills, I hit the greenway that is about a 15 minute drive away (but it floods regularly so its not always an option - @GuinnessRunner do you live in Forsyth county, GA by any chance??)

I’m not GuinessRunner, but I live in Suwanee where the greenway is about 4’ under water right now! (OK, may be a bit of an exaggeration but not much...) I’m not sure how creating a greenway near a regularly-flooding creek was deemed a good idea. 🤔 BUT, I am thankful to have one rather than not.

QOTD: Which do you think would do you better during a stressful time? A adult beverage or a run?

ATTQOTD: I don't drink, so my answer is obvious. Now, if you had made the choice chocolate or a run, then I would have to think about it. :) And then I'd have to go with what others have said: why not both? A run and then chocolate.

More seriously, as long as I run outside, I almost always find it to be a good mental break.

ATTQOTD: If I'm going to be totally honest, I'm going for a glass of wine. I love running, and I generally look forward to any day I'm going to do it, but I have never been one of those who "feels the endorphins" or gets some general feeling of calm.

If I had to pick a physical activity that had a chance of stress relief, I would go for yoga.

Guess I will catch up a little bit.

QOTD: Do you run from home or have to travel somewhere to go run? Do you have a lot of options for mileage at home or end up having to run a loop multiple times?

If I need a flat place to run, I have to drive to the island about 10 mins from my house. Otherwise, I can just step out of my door and have a path for a quick one miler, or an our and back that can get me anywhere up to 4 miles. The problem with this route is that going away from my house is downhill so when I turn around it's all uphill. But what does not kill me makes me stronger. Or something.

QOTD: Which do you think would do you better during a stressful time? A adult beverage or a run?

While I say that Running Is My Therapy, and it really is, if I come home from work and had a terrible day, I want a booze.

ATTQOTD: Depends, but usually a drink. I'm about to do that now because work (not that my job is bad, just nonsense with one of our automated processes). I can drink at any time but this time of year I can't really run after work, so I take what I can get.

Sorry to hear about the stressful process, @LSUlakes . At least it ended well ... but you definitely deserve a run and a drink.

ATTQOTD:
While I should heed the words of Gene Wolfe "One ought to drink, I think, when one is cheerful already. Otherwise nothing but more sorrow is poured into the cup” and pick a run, a walk outside, yoga, baking or other calming activities it is sometimes dark, cold, icy, and my feet hurt so I make a different choice that is less effective at relieving stress.

ATTQOTD: My first choice is a run but I agree with the others on both if its a really stressful day/week. Since having kids, DH and I don't drink near as much as we use to (and we really didn’t drink a lot even then). We tend to have a drink or two around holidays and that’s about it.

ATTQOTD: Up till ~3 1/2 years ago my answer for stress was always drinking. Notice I didn’t say a drink though, because for me drinking and stress never came in moderation. Running was also not something I was doing back then.

Now a days, the answer running. I do always feel better after a run. I find that focusing on the thing that has me stressed as I run both helps fuel me on the run and helps clear it out of my mind/emotion by the time I’m done. If for some reason I can’t a run in a nice cup of green tea is my second choice.

...but I live in Suwanee where the greenway is about 4’ under water right now!
Funny that you mentioned that. I was thinking about running the half this weekend. https://www.suwaneehalf.com/

They do have an alternate, non-certified (doesn't matter to me) course set up. It still goes through George Pierce Park, but it looks like on paved roads.

Any thoughts or insights?

Any of the other Atlanta/North Georgia folks doing this one?

Funny that you mentioned that. I was thinking about running the half this weekend. https://www.suwaneehalf.com/

They do have an alternate, non-certified (doesn't matter to me) course set up. It still goes through George Pierce Park, but it looks like on paved roads.

Any thoughts or insights?

Any of the other Atlanta/North Georgia folks doing this one?

I didn’t sign up for it because I didn’t think I’d be quite ready for a half yet. The alternate course looks fairly dull. It’s an out-and-back, so two long stretches along PIB and not much time in GPP. BUT, it appears to be the much flatter route. The official course goes more on the greenway, and there are lots of little, steep, winding hill. I can’t imagine that they’ll be able to run on the greenway. In fact, at this point, I would question parts of the course through GPP, but maybe two days will be enough time for it to dry out in that area. All that to say, I definitely would not be excited to run it if I had registered.

ETA: Sorry to use an acronym. PIB = Peachtree Industrial Blvd., a busy four lane divided highway. They will have one lane closed for the race.

ETA: Sorry to use an acronym. PIB = Peachtree Industrial Blvd.
LOL. Lived down there for a long time so I'm familiar with those acronyms.
Thank you for the input.

Not my original saying, but 'I put the icing on the bad decision cake' and signed up. *

My goal is to try and fun run it. Stretch goal is to get a photo with a smile.

I'm feeling burned out from running too much and racing too much.

What is the obvious solution?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter