The Running Thread - 2020

I know it’s been discussed before but can someone remind me how much time they usually put between wave releases? And it’s 2 waves a corral, right?

About 400 bibs per minute is the timing system I’ve used to estimate in the past. With a max of 65 min for release of corrals. So once corrals come out then you can make some guesses.

Number of mini waves varies for each corral depending on the number of bibs in each.

On another note not running related, but for anyone going for princess or Star Wars that doesn’t check other forums, I just got this email

Starting on February 19,2020, Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run will be added as a FastPass+ option at Hollywood Studios. BUT, that’s not the only exciting change coming that day! The addition of Millennium Falcon has changed up the FastPass+ Tiers, so the ONLY Tier One FastPass+ options will be Millennium Falcon and Slinky Dog Dash!

That means you can book a ride on the Falcon, AND test your carnival game skills over at Toy Story Mania, AND ride the music with Rock n’ Roller Coaster!

ATTQOTD 1: My last PR's were set before I turned 30 and prior to a roughly six year break in running for anything other than basic fitness. If I fail to set new PRs in the next year or so with better training, fitness, and discipline than I had when I set the last round? Then, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and wipe the slate and start over. But I'm hoping not to face that reality!

ATTQOTD 2: Up until this thread, I probably would have just said New York and Boston...but after reading everybody else's, I think I may have to add to the list!

I decided to change things up a bit in 2020 and go to interesting HMs I have not run before. I'm about 99% sure I'm going to drive down from Chicago and do the Run the Bluegrass. I have a hotel reservation but have not pulled the trigger on the race itself. Price goes up a whopping $5 (from $95 to $100) after January 31, so it may be enough to get me the final 1%.

And the medal is pretty cool as well......

I did this race last year as a "hill tune-up" for Boston. It is a beautiful course and was personally challenging for me, as I hate hills. I would definitely recommend it.

This was my first half, way before I knew anything about RunDisney. I lived in Lexington at the time, but would 100% say it's worth the drive. I think I've settled on Flying pig in Cinci for this spring, but that medal is tempting me hard!.

The Flying Pig is also on my bucket list, as is the Indy Mini-Marathon. I have a crazy idea to run the Indy HM on Saturday, May 2 and then drive to Cinci for the Flying Pig on Sunday May 3.

I'm no Goofy...... the the Flying Pig would be the HM and not the full M.

Last edited:
The Flying Pig is also on my bucket list, as is the Indy Mini-Marathon. I have a crazy idea to run the Indy HM on Saturday, May 2 and then drive to Cinci for the Flying Pig on Sunday May 3.

I'm no Goofy...... the the Flying Pig would be the HM and not the full M.

I did this last year - I called in the Midwest Goofy, lol. Running Pig again for the third time this year, back to the 4 way with extra cheese this time.

On another note not running related, but for anyone going for princess or Star Wars that doesn’t check other forums, I just got this email

Starting on February 19,2020, Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run will be added as a FastPass+ option at Hollywood Studios. BUT, that’s not the only exciting change coming that day! The addition of Millennium Falcon has changed up the FastPass+ Tiers, so the ONLY Tier One FastPass+ options will be Millennium Falcon and Slinky Dog Dash!

That means you can book a ride on the Falcon, AND test your carnival game skills over at Toy Story Mania, AND ride the music with Rock n’ Roller Coaster!

It's about time to, because the system they have today is just trash! From the little bit I have seen it looks like its going to be more like it was when TSL just opened, but better. My question is what are they going to do once the Micky and Minnie ride opens? The boarding pass thing is going to kill me in June.

The only problem I’ve seen with the national park races is they all seem to be park adjacent and not actually in the parks.

This is true. If the Yosemite races were actually in Yosemite Valley, I'd definitely be in. It's close enough to get me to go after the races, but it would be great if they were actually in the parks. I think the Mount Rushmore course goes where you can see it, and Zion seems to be right outside the park gates, but Yosemite wasn't all that close and I'm not sure how close the Grand Canyon course is.

Re: RnR races. I've had both really good and really bad experiences. I've had races move dates after registering and be outright cancelled between registration opening and the inaugural running.

I've also done Nashville and Philly both twice along with VA Beach and they were well run if a little over priced events.

My impression is the older races that predate the equity purchase are well run while the newer ones are not well thought out or executed.

I do think they were the series that gave Disney the challenge series idea though so good on them for that.

QOTD: What is a destination race of any distance that you would like to go to?

With the caveat that qualifying for and running Boston is a goal my #1 destination race is the Rome marathon. I will do it some day.

The only problem I’ve seen with the national park races is they all seem to be park adjacent and not actually in the parks.

I did the Rocky Mountain Race a few years back and that was the case but it was a great event. A friend has run three of their races so far and has nothing but praise for them.

To be fair to them they make sure to note the races that are not in the parks and I believe you had to acknowledge that you know that during registration.

ATTQOTD: I try to find a race wherever I go visit. I would like to do the Majors (Boston, NYC, Chicago, London, Tokyo, Berlin), the various Disney Challenges, the classic Athen Marathon in Greece and then, find good ones to discover wherever my trips bring me.

Last edited:
I decided to change things up a bit in 2020 and go to interesting HMs I have not run before. I'm about 99% sure I'm going to drive down from Chicago and do the Run the Bluegrass. I have a hotel reservation but have not pulled the trigger on the race itself. Price goes up a whopping $5 (from $95 to $100) after January 31, so it may be enough to get me the final 1%.

And the medal is pretty cool as well......
View attachment 467475

I'm 99% sure I have talked him into it. Seeing the medal yesterday was confirmation to me that I HAD to do it. So hopefully I will see you there!

This was my first half, way before I knew anything about RunDisney. I lived in Lexington at the time, but would 100% say it's worth the drive. I think I've settled on Flying pig in Cinci for this spring, but that medal is tempting me hard!.

Flying Pig is on my list too! I want to cross off two states in one weekend with it and the Indy Mini, but unfortunately this year's dates don't work. I've heard great things about Flying Pig and am glad to hear good things about Run the Bluegrass!

ATTQOTD: I dunno. RNR Vegas, maybe. I suppose I'll have to do the Jerusalem Half eventually. But I haven't really thought about destination races, honestly.

Also ... everyone ... lemme know when you come run NYC. I'm currently living about a mile from the finish line, so if I'm not volunteering, I'm sure I can find somewhere where I can come out and cheer.

ATTQOTD: For me outside MW my next destination race would be Avenue of the Giants Marathon in Northern California. For those looking for a race that is in a National Park this is as close as you are going to get. The race is in Humboldt Redwoods State Park (I am biased as I used to work and live there as a ranger) and it is a fantastic park. Some of the largest old growth redwood forests are contained in this park. Portions of Return of the Jedi were filmed here. The race it self is in the spring and is run along the avenue amongst the redwoods. I am hoping to go in 2021 or 2022.

With all the talk of the RnR races, has anyone run the one in San Antonio? My DH has a conference there the week prior to the race, so I was thinking of joining him and running the race while I’m there. I guess a more general question would be: is there a website where people post reviews on races?

QOTD: What is a destination race of any distance that you would like to go to?
While I’m not a fan of the idea of running a marathon NOT on Disney property, if I ever were to take on such a task, London would be at the top of my list! It’s my favorite city in the world. Paris would be amazing too except I can almost smell the cigarette smoke just thinking about it. Also, I’ve always wanted to run the Napa to Sonoma half marathon. Can you imagine!?! 🍷

ATTQOTD:

Boston
Big Sur
Comrades
Wine Glass
Southernmost Marathon
Marathon du Medoc
Paris
Covered Bridges
LA marathon
London
Tokyo

Just to name a few.

Our group is planning a return to Comrades for the 100th running in 2025. Start planning now. And there’s been talk of a DLP and Medoc double in 2020 or 2021.

With all the talk of the RnR races, has anyone run the one in San Antonio? My DH has a conference there the week prior to the race, so I was thinking of joining him and running the race while I’m there. I guess a more general question would be: is there a website where people post reviews on races?

I ran it a few times several years ago. The full course was dull and boring in the back half. Organization wasn’t great either.

ATTQOTD: For me outside MW my next destination race would be Avenue of the Giants Marathon in Northern California. For those looking for a race that is in a National Park this is as close as you are going to get. The race is in Humboldt Redwoods State Park (I am biased as I used to work and live there as a ranger) and it is a fantastic park. Some of the largest old growth redwood forests are contained in this park. Portions of Return of the Jedi were filmed here. The race it self is in the spring and is run along the avenue amongst the redwoods. I am hoping to go in 2021 or 2022.
I almost signed up for this a couple years ago, but something came up. It’s still on my radar to do someday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter