The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD: I have a coffee maker that is split between kcup and a regular carafe. I like that I can pick my mood of whether I want a quick flavored kcup or ground coffee and multiple cups. I only use it on the weekend because I just use my work coffeemaker during the week. There's something about getting a cup of coffee at a restaraunt with dessert that is my favorite method of receiving coffee...but that may have to do more with the dessert part!!

RE: expensiveness of the races for me have more to do with the vacation that surrounds it than the race fees themselves. This is why the last time I did marathon weekend I did one race, stayed at a value (that I split with my dad) and only stayed for three days. To do the challenges you have to tack on an expo day in front of the first race and then it starts adding up. We go on multiple expensive long vacations a year as a family, but disney races are like side mom-excursions now so I feel bad going "big" with my budget.
Bring back DL races please so I can stay at cheap motels walking distance to the gates. OR someone who has DVC please adopt me into your family.

I'm also more of a tea drinker. I'll drink coffee for the most part when we're traveling or if I just need extra caffeine for some reason. My husband is a coffee drinker and he uses the keurig to make coffee but doesn't use the k pods. He got a separate re-usable metal pod that you can just fill with your own coffee. But since I don't drink it, I'm not sure what brand of actual coffee he gets.

This past summer I used coarser grounds, but I didnt feel that the flavor was that much enhanced, so I may go back to the finer ground, which has a shortersteeping time.
One of my biggest grad school failures (and a horribly bad idea no one should ever actually do) was to use some of the new sidearm flasks, filters, and tubing and build my own vacuum apparatus to make cold brew coffee. The failure was not in the device, but that the coffee was not significantly better than I had been making in a mason jar! Also, it was an inappropriate use of lab glass and food grade tubing and my grad school adviser would have chewed me out and never let me forget about it.

Coffee!!!!!! I grind my beans at home and switch up brands based on what I feel like spending at the time - La Colombe, Dark Matter, Starbucks, 5oclock are popular in my house.

I have a drip coffee pot, pour over Chemex, French press, AND cold brew maker.

I'm not sure I could pick a favorite, but maybe pour over?

My drip gets the most use because I can easily set it the night before and forget it.

I clearly really like coffee, but I'm not a snob about it. I'll drink almost anything.

ATTQOTD yesterday: Definitely Disney! And so far the two Disney race weekends I've done (one in DLP and one in WDW) have been the only destination races I've been to. Really want to do another WDW race weekend but WDW is just so far away from where I live...

ATTQOTD: I only learnt how to drink coffee last year - used to be mostly a green tea drinker in the past. Over the last year most of my coffee (lattes and cappuccinos) was from Starbucks, since it was conveniently located at my workplace.

Over Christmas I discovered Nespresso, and am now the proud owner of a Nespresso machine and an accompanying Aeroccino milk foamer. Mostly use the combination to make cappuccinos at home now. Haven't been to Starbucks since I got the Nespresso...

I've also learnt that I mainly like espresso-based milk-heavy coffee, hence I wanted something that can let me easily do lattes and cappuccinos. Not used to drinking drip coffee (but this might also be because I've not had good ones yet). Haven't tried cold brew. The moka pots and French presses look quite exciting but not tried either.

If we are listing our full list of races/destination races:

Boston
Big Sur
Surf City Marathon
MCM
London
Seattle
Twin Cities (I heard it's a really good race)

I can vouch for Twin Cities. Even though I didn't have the race I would've hoped for, due to having surgery 13 weeks prior and only really training for about 6-7 weeks, I thought it was a great race. The crowd support was really good. I don't really remember many stretches without people out there cheering you on. It's not the flatest course out there, but not super challenging either.

I'm 99% sure I have talked him into it. Seeing the medal yesterday was confirmation to me that I HAD to do it. So hopefully I will see you there!

Flying Pig is on my list too! I want to cross off two states in one weekend with it and the Indy Mini, but unfortunately this year's dates don't work. I've heard great things about Flying Pig and am glad to hear good things about Run the Bluegrass!
I'll be at run the blue grass too!

How cool! How do they verify the passport? Do they check it at bib pickup or something? All I can picture is people running across the border holding their passports open and I know that can't be right. :rotfl:

You have to show passport at bib pickup. One year I worked registration, and we had Homeland Security people standing behind us making sure of all this. We also had to ask people whether they had recently had any medical procedure involving radioactive isotopes (e.g. bone scan) because it was possible that could set off the detectors crossing the border!

If I remember right, you had to actually prove you have a passport when you register. Then, as @jmasgat said, we had to show them again at bib pick-up. Also, we did run with our passports! The night before the event they were forecasting severe storms during the races, so they sent out an email encouraging everyone to run with their passport in the event that they had to cancel or clear the course. So yeah, if for whatever reason you get stranded over on the Canadian side you're going to want to have your passport with you!

I have run San Antonio RnR half 4 times over the last 8 years, on 3 different courses, with the last time in 2018. I love that it starts and finishes around the River Walk now. The first two times I did it, it finished near the Alamodome, which was ok for the post race activities, but nearer the River Walk is so much better. The current course is mostly flat, with a couple hardish hills around mile 10. There is work going on around the Alamo now, so the course does not run by there like it used to.

I have heard bad things from folks who have done the full there, with support lacking in the later miles.

This is great information, thanks! DH and I were just there for the first time in December. I only plan to do the half. It looks like part of the course goes through Breckenridge Park, which is really pretty. I almost did my run there, but I wasn’t sure how safe it is.

If I remember right, you had to actually prove you have a passport when you register. Then, as @jmasgat said, we had to show them again at bib pick-up. Also, we did run with our passports! The night before the event they were forecasting severe storms during the races, so they sent out an email encouraging everyone to run with their passport in the event that they had to cancel or clear the course. So yeah, if for whatever reason you get stranded over on the Canadian side you're going to want to have your passport with you!

I loved the detroit marathon! One thing I noticed was that people with hydration packs were getting stopped. People without had no issue. I had my passport JIC but didn't need it. So if you don't absolutely need a pack, go without. There are plenty of water stops.

How cool! How do they verify the passport? Do they check it at bib pickup or something? All I can picture is people running across the border holding their passports open and I know that can't be right. :rotfl: I might have to add that one to the list to cross off Michigan!

I can understand the disheartening part, so that would be a big challenge. They do something similar to that at Kiawah Island where the half and full split but then meet up again around mile 20 and mile 10ish. I was already struggling not to walk at that point and since we were mixed in with some of the half marathoners who were walking that just made it even easier to give up and walk. I think it would be even more difficult if people were flying by me and I was moving like a slug.

When you register you provide either your passport number or a photocopy (I can't remember). The international deadline is significantly earlier than those lame single country races. ;) The website is pretty clear that they do a full check and warn that any legal complications can result in a denial of entry.

As @jmasgat said, they check your physical passport when you pickup your bib. IIRC, it actually was a DHS agent that checked that but I very well could be wrong.

They also highly recommend you carry your passport with you because, you technically are crossing international borders. I do remember guards/officers visible at both border entries looking at the runners - presumably for bib visibility. I didn't see anybody get plucked out although the marathon website states explicitly that this is a possibility.

I carried my passport for the first part. I pre-arranged to meet my wife after the re-entry into the US and handed her my passport. I really didn't want to carry my passport around more than I had to.

I know I wrote a lot about it but it's not a hassle whatsoever...just an interesting "peculiarity" of that race. Heck, writing about it makes me want to run it even more this year!

I loved the detroit marathon! One thing I noticed was that people with hydration packs were getting stopped. People without had no issue. I had my passport JIC but didn't need it. So if you don't absolutely need a pack, go without. There are plenty of water stops.

Right, we had heard that about hydration packs too, so I wore a flipbelt.

ATTQOTD: We're pretty fanatical about coffee at our house. I make 2 press pots every morning. Pour over at other times. Always fresh-ground whole beans.

ATTQOTD: So I don't drink coffee at all. But I am a huge tea drinker. I prefer loose leaf when I am home on the weekends. For work I use bags out of convenience. My favorite brand is Fortnum and Mason and I usually stock up each time I order since I have to ship it from the UK. Or if I am lucky someone I know will fly through Heathrow and grab me some at the airport store. I also really like Twinnings. If I am doing a more US centric brand, I like Harney and Sons. My husband drinks coffee and has a french press and percolator. He likes a darker roast and usually has Starbucks, Gevalia, or New England Coffee.

AATQOTD: During the week I grab Dunkin' Donuts coffee on the way to the train. Standard DD coffee, one milk, one sugar. Followed by a K-cup at work.
Weekends; I have a Cuisinart Grind N' Brew to grind fresh and drip brew either 5 O'clock or Black Rifle whole bean medium roast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter