The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD: Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster. Recently runDisney announced "Club runDisney" with different levels. If you were to create this for Disney, what would you change and what price would you put to it? What are you thoughts on the current setup as is?

ATTQOTD: I have not read much about it, but what I have seen is it seems controversial in a way, and in typical Disney style, another money grab perhaps for little benefits.

QOTD: Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster. Recently runDisney announced "Club runDisney" with different levels. If you were to create this for Disney, what would you change and what price would you put to it? What are you thoughts on the current setup as is?

I’d do the opposite of everything they’re doing, just like George Costanza would. :rotfl:

More seriously, I’d make it so people actually feel like they’re getting something for their money. I’d open it up to 1000 people, charge them $1000, and give them guaranteed entry to 6 Disney races or 3 challenges of their choice and early entry to any of the others. No moving up corrals, no Members Only jackets, just benefits for races with maybe early entry to the expo.

Hi there.
Does anyone have any suggestions on arm sleeves? I need a solid red pair for a running costume. I checked amazon and there are a billion options, but I’d like to get some input if anyone has any experience. I don’t want them to irritate my skin or spend too much. Also does anyone like running in them generally? Specifically in the heat?

ATTQOTD - I’d probably put it at the price of the 3 challenge weekends (for the 10k + half) excluding Marathon weekend at about a 10% discount. I exclude marathon weekend because there are multiple challenges. This would fully cover the cost of all these races. I’d charge an extra $100 if you want guaranteed entry to the rest (including 5ks and marathon weekend), but you’d have to pay for these races still. If you completed the 3 half/10k challenges, then you’d get a series medal. I think?

ATTQOTD: Ugh, the current set up is awful. It's so much money for so little return. The cost is not worth a jacket and early-registration. I think the corral upgrade is a dumb idea too. It makes sense to be in a corral with people of a similar pace for a lot of reasons. I'm in A but would HATE to be in elite (I know that's not an option, but it's an example) because of added pacing pressure, knowing I'll be left in no-man's-land for a while until the next gun goes off and people catch up, etc. Sure you're done earlier, but only by a couple minutes so I don't get the benefit...

I would do distance passes. Have a Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k pass where you have entry to all of that distance for each weekend. If you want to add on challenges or other races, offer that at a discount. OR keep pricing where it is now, and have guaranteed entry to a race of your choice based on the tier you're in.

Still seems like a money grab to me, but really cool idea in theory. I hope they develop it out a bit more over time because let's be real, the Mouse already owns me and I will pay for something like this if it's worth it (more so than the current structure)!

ATTQOTD: The way it's set up, it's a money grab. I don't think it's necessary, but I'd probably do a two tier system. Tier 1 would be guaranteed entry to one race or challenge per year, but you'd have up to a month before the race to decide. And then have a special lounge at the Expo with expedited package pick up. Tier 2 would be guaranteed entry to all Run Disney events, the lounge, early access to merchandise, Runners Square, and the real value of the package, free parking lot beer.

I don't think its necessary however if we do need it here is what I would do.

Silver - $75
Card
Magnet
Jacket
Tier one pricing throughout the year
Special bib pick up area at the expo

Gold - $150
Everything in Silver
Early expo access
Option to have bib sent to your resort
$20 race discount, can be used for races or challenges
Access to expo lounge with snacks and soft drinks

Platinum - $300
Everything above
$50 discount on challenges
Pre-post race tent space with meet and greet and snacks/drinks
Guaranteed entry into any runDisney race

This is actual stuff with value. Not the nonsense they have announced.

I don't think its necessary however if we do need it here is what I would do.

Silver - $75
Card
Magnet
Jacket
Tier one pricing throughout the year
Special bib pick up area at the expo

Gold - $150
Everything in Silver
Early expo access
Option to have bib sent to your resort
$20 race discount, can be used for races or challenges
Access to expo lounge with snacks and soft drinks

Platinum - $300
Everything above
$50 discount on challenges
Pre-post race tent space with meet and greet and snacks/drinks
Guaranteed entry into any runDisney race

This is actual stuff with value. Not the nonsense they have announced.

I would totally pay for your version of gold, especially for the bib piece!

Hi there.
Does anyone have any suggestions on arm sleeves? I need a solid red pair for a running costume. I checked amazon and there are a billion options, but I’d like to get some input if anyone has any experience. I don’t want them to irritate my skin or spend too much. Also does anyone like running in them generally? Specifically in the heat?

I have sleeves from De Soto Sports and love them. Keep my arms cool and sunburn free.

ATTQOTD: I would set it up like a true loyalty program, but (because its still Disney) with a fee to join.

One fee to join for a year, one fee for 3 years and a nominal fee to have your Disney race history grandfathered in. Say 100 for a year, 250 for 3, or something. And an extra 100 to get the benefit fof yor past history. Also make it possible to "earn" points in other ways, such as expo spend, and miles challenges (kind of how NB does it).

Have it come with early registration and expo entry perks, then tiers for reduced pricing given your "status". Give members a trinket too (kind of how ATC does it) - something small like a hat or socks. No corral upgrades, ever.

Bottom line, give credit for running Disney races and buying merch, and for being a runner in general.

ATTQOTD: I have not read much about it, but what I have seen is it seems controversial in a way, and in typical Disney style, another money grab perhaps for little benefits.

I do not see this as an actual money grab, more gross incompetence at judging what people want enough to pay for. This has as much value to me as buying the DVC contract that guaranteed you a reservation over a certain race weekend. I am curious to see if they get many takers, and what else they eliminate because of it. The trinkets (jacket, card, magnet), special bib, or a virtual race series are zero value to me. A lounge is a perk I could already pay for but do not. As others do pay for this, they would have to eliminate that option to purchase and associated revenue stream to make it a value. Early purchase to one race is not as nice as early registration for DVC/AP for all races of the weekend so not only do I think they have to eliminate that, I think they could have done better. Upgraded coral placement makes my stomach angry as it is on parr with coral jumping in my mind. I think it will embolden people to feel entitled, cause course chaos and lead to more collisions and accidents as more heels are stepped on, more people go in the grass and find potholes, and more elbows are in the way. Discount pricing is hard to judge as while this can be clearly valued it is not announced.

What do I think would be better for revenue generation? Not a run club, not that what I think they described is a 'club.' I want to pay for a well organized race with course support, a fun shirt (current fail), a chance to run from character to character, a way to encourage my family to be healthy and have fun, and to not have to walk a mile to stand in line to get a beverage or gear check bag. Everything else I want would be better off as an add on, not a group of products.

I would pay some quantity of money to have the option to register closer to race time- charity bibs end up going to people who are willing to pay more closer to the date. That $ does not go to rD. A 10% cost up on the bib two months out from a half is something I think many people would pay. I think they could push this and are starting to do so, but the crush of bibs purchased at the beginning limits my willingness to wait.

Don't make me go to the expo. I realize this cuts into vendor traffic and potential sales. The expo may be fun when I am solo, but not when I have a stroller full of kids I cannot take into the building- I'm not buying anything then either. I would pay a good sum more to be able to legitimately pick up my bib on race morning. The cost of the minnie van to and from the parks (because I am at Disney with kids in a car seat, and we were at DHS and now I have to drag them away and making them leave to go to the hotel to get an expo bus is not worth the Lyft price) is a price I would not bat an eye at.

I have not done the runner retreat, but access to better food and drink is something that sells. Make it better. Make the whole thing better, what do I have to pay to not hear them ramble on about aftershokz for 30 minutes while I freeze/sweat/wishIhadabeverage/wonderifIhavetimetoleavemycoralandgotothebathroom

I also think they could generate money by selling extra cheese with the fervor people express about that substance.

ATTQOTD: It's a money grab but has to make sense for the consumer. I would simplify it to make 1 or two levels, but offer rewards by making renewal available. So maybe it's $300 for silver but $150 for the following year and so forth. That way business is predicable and revenue stream continues while runDisney loyalists are rewarded for their continued support.

ATTQOTD: It's a money grab but has to make sense for the consumer. I would simplify it to make 1 or two levels, but offer rewards by making renewal available. So maybe it's $300 for silver but $150 for the following year and so forth. That way business is predicable and revenue stream continues while runDisney loyalists are rewarded for their continued support.
They would never make a renewal that cheap ;)

ATTQOTD: I like a lot of these answers! Maybe go with what @rteetz said but add one thing: the ability to preorder more of the SWAG. When I did the Marathon a couple of years ago we didn’t get there until Friday. By that time the car magnets were long gone, along with some other items. Although I could (and did) preorder other items, there weren’t enough of the things I really desired, and that would be a great benefit.

ATTQOTD: I like a lot of these answers! Maybe go with what @rteetz said but add one thing: the ability to preorder more of the SWAG. When I did the Marathon a couple of years ago we didn’t get there until Friday. By that time the car magnets were long gone, along with some other items. Although I could (and did) preorder other items, there weren’t enough of the things I really desired, and that would be a great benefit.
Although still not as good as it could be they’ve gotten better with the preorder merch.

ATTQOTD (yesterday): With the exception of a marathon, I am normally going for an easy run the day following the race. I'll do only easy runs after a half marathon for maybe two days and for about a week or two after a marathon depending on how I feel.

ATTQOTD (today): I like so many of these answers, especially the bib delivery to the hotel! That is probably the only thing I would be willing to pay extra for, the prices for the races alone are already ridiculous enough. I definitely think the cost should include discounted registration or even the registration fee. I think how it is currently set up is just a way to get more money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter