The Running Thread - 2020

January: 75.23 miles

January was the start of my slowly starting to increase my distance. My daily walks alternate between 30 minutes or a long walk, so I am starting to build a rhythm. I am a long way from where I was a year ago with pace (17 min/mile), but the speed will increase with time. The focus for the next few months is to continue building distance so that I am ready for a half marathon in July.

Other positive news is that the first step down of the pain/nerve block medication I was given in July for the back injury went well so I started the next one. Hope to be off it by the beginning of March.

January totals

122.2 miles
8:57 pace

27/31 days ran.

Set an early goal of 1500 miles for the year but not sure if that is attainable. Average is 125 miles a month and isn’t good I’m already behind going into a short month. Off to a good start this month and by its leap year so I get an extra day.

January totals

122.2 miles
8:57 pace

27/31 days ran.

Set an early goal of 1500 miles for the year but not sure if that is attainable. Average is 125 miles a month and isn’t good I’m already behind going into a short month. Off to a good start this month and by its leap year so I get an extra day.
I would expect mileage to go up in the spring, summer, fall. Unless you are on the east coast in Which case it is already spring, but you still should be fine.

Well last week got a little busy, but I'm back today for another QOTD: Have you run any of the resort fun run races at WDW? If so tell us about it.

ATTQOTD: I have not, but want to and will try to fit one in on our next trip this summer.

ATTQOTD: Never done one but would like to. They look like fun!My problem has been that I've either been at Disney for a race weekend or the resort runs have taken place at a time where we were already out for our day. I did see a turnaround sign for one two years ago when I was out for a morning run on the Boardwalk while on vacation.

ATTQOTD: I have done the Regatta Run at Yacht and Beach Club. It was so much fun and a really great run - they took us down the path towards Hollywood Studios, turned around beneath the overpass, then headed back towards the Epcot Resorts, around the lake, and finally ended at the Yacht and Beach boat dock (where we started). We got a great grab bag with Y&B earbuds, sunglasses, and a Regatta Run pin, as well as water/banana. It was a ton of fun and I definitely plan on trying to do it next time I'm staying at Yacht Club.

The other big fun runs on my bucket list are POFQ Beignet Dash (because yum!) and the All Star Resort fun run (since I sometime stay there but have never had a trip line up with the runs). Now if they could just get Pop/AoA to come up with one, I'd be golden.

Why it double posted my response as a reply, I have no idea. I'll blame Mondays...sorry!

Last edited:
Well last week got a little busy, but I'm back today for another QOTD: Have you run any of the resort fun run races at WDW? If so tell us about it.

ATTQOTD: I have not, but want to and will try to fit one in on our next trip this summer.
I did the POFQ run (3 years ago?) and would happily do it again. I was staying offsite and my local friend came and picked me up. We had no problem parking, the attendant just waved us in when we said we were there for the race. I did not realize you could not pay with cash, so my friend ended up paying (free race!). They started us off with a ready? Set! GO! and some noise makers. There were recreation staff and lifeguards along the path with cowbells and it was just plain fun. It was the first time I had tried to run with someone else, and that was challenging for me. Also, all the humidity I was not used to about knocked me out. We finished and I giggled like a toddler at the cloud of bubbles they were creating with a couple of the light up bubble wands. We got our bignets, wiped down and changed in the lobby restroom, and I met my family for a day in the parks. This would never work onsite as we always go to EMH and rope drop.

Last spring I was in town for a conference and did the run at OKW. Again I had no problem getting into the parking lot, and figured out where to go to sign up (with my credit card this time!). They had markers and some stickers out in the rec hall to decorate your bibs which I did not expect. There were several diligent children with elaborate creations. I had not been to OKW before, so I was surprised how winding the paths were! There were fewer CMs than I had seen at POFQ, and mostly they were concentrated at crosswalks, which was good for the kids who were sprinting away from their family! I did several extra laps around the tennis courts at the end to get up to at least 2 miles (it is listed as a 3K) at the official finish. There were granola bars, a water cooler, and an OKW refillable water bottle which is tall and skinny and I still use even though it tips over and does not fit into any cup holder or backpack pocket I can find. I ditched my stuff in the car and did another little loop to feel like it was worth the drive over, then had some of the bread pudding for breakfast before I headed back to my hotel. It was not my most productive day at the conference :)

I tried to do the regatta run this summer, but they wisely cancelled it as it was raining. It seemed odd to me as I would have run in that weather at home, but I later learned just how slippery the boardwalk was. Maybe another time?

I have not, but I may try them at some point next time I'm at WDW for non-race reasons. (Which currently looks like January 2022.)

ATTQOTD: I have not, but that is because when I am at Disney my time is normally spent in the parks or on races. If I ever stayed at one of the resorts that offered it, I would love to try it. For now I just do all my runs around Hourglass Lake, which isn't too bad!

Interesting article about stretching: https://www.outsideonline.com/2408467/case-against-stretching-flexibility-research

I don't stretch, it's never done anything for me. I'll do some knee bends, jumping jacks or other little warm ups before starting a run though. Are you guys into stretching?

I warm up first with dynamic movement and some running then do a few rounds of very short static stretches. I know the research but have had way fewer injuries and less soreness since incorporating some stretching.

I can't remember where it was that I read it but there was some research done on static stretching. If I recall correctly the increased injury didn't come from static stretching itself but from either over stretching or holding the static stretch too long. I don't hold any of my static stretches longer than 10 seconds.

I haven't but only because they have never worked out with my schedule. I make it a point to get to the Boardwalk area to do a run whenever I possibly can and have run my own route around Coronado and Port Orleans.

ATTQOTD: I haven't yet, but I've always wanted to do the one at Port Orleans. I'm going at the end of this month and I might be able to do it this time. I also noticed there is one at Coronado Springs on Sundays at 7 and Port Orleans starts at 8. So now I'm thinking of creating my own challenge - Coronado Springs at 7, then Uber over to Port Orleans and run the 8 am there.

I haven’t. When I’m at Disney running also takes a vacation unless I am doing a race. I factor the days off into my schedule and treat them as semi rest days considering I will end up walking 10+ miles a day anyway.

ATTQOTD: My wife and I did the Regatta Run at Yacht and Beach Club during the week following Wine and Dine 1/2 (my teenagers opted to sleep in, go figure).
It turned out to be a perfect quick morning run to loosen up the legs after the 1/2 a few days prior. The Boardwalk is such a nice place to run but it was a bit weird running among the regular hotel guests on a non-race day. I would certainly do one again if they aligned with my plans.

January total:
80 miles......I was at 77.1 after my Thursday morning run but was sure to get that 2.9 on the treadmill when I got home from work Friday.

QOTD: Have you run any of the resort fun run races at WDW? If so tell us about it.
ATTQOTD: I did the Saratoga Springs Derby Dash in 2018. I can't think of anything at Disney that is a better value for your $$ than these fun runs. I had a great time doing the run, met some really nice people who shared some of their running experiences, and like the other fun runs, got some really cool SWAG. At the Derby Dash, they gave out a bib, a pretty nice finisher's medal, took and emailed finish line pictures and supplied bottled water, fruit and other snacks at the finish line. If you think about how expensive races are - especially at Disney - not bad for $15. The run was well organized by the Saratoga Springs Cast Members and I can even say well themed with a recording of "First Call" at the start of the race which was a nice touch. I would definitely recommend it and I would love to do other fun runs but they never seem to line up with when and where I am staying on shorter trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter