The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD:
Depends where I'm running, but at least in my neck of the woods
1. Fall
2. Summer
3.Spring
4. Winter
I have cold induced asthma, so unless I want to be coughing for up to 3 hours after running, I try to avoid temperatures under 55 degrees F.

As a side note, is anyone surprised about the races that HAVEN'T been canceled yet for this Fall? Specifically, I'm thinking of the Broad Street Run and the Marine Corps Marathon. If either of them move forward (and based on Marine Corp's announcement yesterday it seems like they're trying to do their best to ensure the main event is run), I think it will be a good indication on how rundisney events may be held in the future.

Thanks John. The market is ridiculous right now. Selling would be great I would think. Buying, not so much. I got outbid on our first two houses we made offers on and one of them I offered $33k more than asking and got outbid by about $20k.

But I have another question for you, or anyone riding a road bike. How often do you get flat tires? I have had 3-4 since I got my bike. No idea why. I was riding yesterday, didn’t hit anything and suddenly my tire was going flat. Thankfully I bought an emergency repair kit and pump for such situations.

Two houses on my street went for over asking and the same exact floorplan as us went for much higher than the comps. Houses go right away here now unless there is water in the basement.

As others mentioned that number if flats is abnormal and you are definitely running your pressure too low. Go as close to max as you can and don't run too low. Generally unless you are riding in the rain keep the pressure near the top.

You will also need to check the rim for defects as someone else mentioned.

Well summer is officially here... you that like to run in the heat are crazy! Let's kick it off with an old fashioned QOTD...

QOTD: What is your "rank of seasons" for running, starting with your favorite?

1. Fall
2. Winter (especially if there is snow)
3. Summer
4. Spring

Last edited:
QOTD:
1. Summer
2. Spring
3. Fall
4. Winter

My order is the complete opposite of some others because I live farther North.

Winters are brutal and it takes a lot mentally to bundle up, trudge through the snow, and change your running gate with the ice patches. It is even worse when it is below 0F and it starts to hurt the lungs when outside. Compound that with there being little to no sunlight, that adds to a depressing running season.

Spring usually brings hope that I am about to reach the coveted summer running season.

Fall is beautiful with the changing leaves, but there is always that thought in my head that hear comes winter again.

1. Spring
2. Fall
3. Winter*
4. Summer

The caveat with winter is that I will only go out if the pavement is dry and it is above 10*. A slip or fall could put me out of commission for months depending on how badly my back was jerked or twisted. Even this summer, my pace is much slower when the pavement is wet in order to avoid slipping. This is my first year of training only outside, and I am not loving the humidity.

If the MM calculator is stating an 18 min/mile long run pace, then it means that it's also predicting your marathon pace to be around a 16 min/mile (or 7 hr marathon). On the surface it may seem like the better choice is to train at that 16 min/mile pace if it feels ok, but I'd give the 18 min/mile pace a real try. I know it seems counterintuitive, but more often than not overextending your pace on the long run is going to be less beneficial than going slow. Going slow enough on the long run is a real game changer for everyone from sub 3 runners to sub 7 runners.

View attachment 503566

If your fitness isn't prepared for a 16 min/mile to be long run pace (or a 10:45 MM, 14 min/mile marathon pace), then you'll essential be racing nearly every weekend with those long runs. You'll be surviving the training instead of thriving because of it. Like the instructions say, if you want to test out other paces, then do those during the week. But leave the long run weekends at the 18 min/mile and you'll likely be better off for it. If you feel the need to "test" yourself at a 16 min/mile longer run, then we could figure out a way to manipulate the runDisney marathon plan with a "B" race HM here or there.

It does seem counterintuitive...but it also does make sense now that you put it that way. I keep wanting to shift to a faster pace on the long runs and push myself to do harsher intervals, but it may not actually be helping me. The weekday runs have been more challenging since I started the Galloway plan since I'm doing the interval increases on Tuesday and the 15:00 pace on Thursdays, so maybe I need to adjust my thinking and accept that those are the only times I'm challenging myself for speed (well, that and MM days).

I'd actually say the opposite is true more often than not. The MM will be less indicative of your ability to finish the Disney Marathon, than will be a longer distance "B" race. That's because endurance is king in the marathon and it's easy to have the speed, but not as easy to have the endurance. The cutoff is 7 hours. Given COVID19 your guess is as good as mine as to how the corrals will be set up. But suffice to say, if you're not in the very last corral at the very back, then you have more than 7 hours to finish. How much more is an unknown at this point (and very well may be an unknown on race day unlike year's past where I could make pretty good guesses about timing). Based on my calculations, an average performance at the marathon that equates to a 7:00 hr marathon places someone at about a 3:10 HM fitness (or a 14:30 min/mile). I came to that calculation based on the average marathon conversion from a HM to a M being a 1.15 in the Reigel calculation (instead of the 1.06 he typically uses) based on Ian Williams and Vickers datasets of real marathon runners. So to feel comfortable with a 7 hr marathon finish time, I'd want to see something in the range of 3:10 as a best performance in the HM by October/November.
I've picked out a half marathon in mid-September, so a bit earlier than what you're suggesting--but race season in Montana ends relatively early; I won't see anything longer than a 10K offered once we get into October and November. I projected ahead on the training plan and basically scheduled two weeks for a break--one to run the HM, one to recover from it. The handful of 5Ks I'm considering this summer and fall are going to be easy pace, not race pace, but the HM is meant to be race effort to see where it lands me.

I always hated running until I was out of breath in school and pushing myself to do a mile as fast as I can at a steady pace means exactly that.

This is the exact feeling why I thought I didn’t like running! Turns out my legs just always wanted to go faster than my lungs could handle.

ATTQOTD: tough question! Can I have a tie?
1. Spring
2. Fall
3. Winter and Summer
My problem is I cannot handle the heat But summer isn’t always stupidly hot. But winter around here often means icy roads which I just don’t like trying to manoeuvre....

It does seem counterintuitive...but it also does make sense now that you put it that way. I keep wanting to shift to a faster pace on the long runs and push myself to do harsher intervals, but it may not actually be helping me. The weekday runs have been more challenging since I started the Galloway plan since I'm doing the interval increases on Tuesday and the 15:00 pace on Thursdays, so maybe I need to adjust my thinking and accept that those are the only times I'm challenging myself for speed (well, that and MM days).

I've picked out a half marathon in mid-September, so a bit earlier than what you're suggesting--but race season in Montana ends relatively early; I won't see anything longer than a 10K offered once we get into October and November. I projected ahead on the training plan and basically scheduled two weeks for a break--one to run the HM, one to recover from it. The handful of 5Ks I'm considering this summer and fall are going to be easy pace, not race pace, but the HM is meant to be race effort to see where it lands me.

Albeit shorter, even a 10k in late October/ early November could be useful information as to how the marathon may play out. So it may be worth the trade off of slightly less training for an extra race. I’d wait to register for the 10k until after the HM though to see whether the extra information is necessary.

Fall
Spring
Winter
Summer

It is just too hot running in the summer. I would rather add layers as you can only take so many off in the heat. I love early Fall when the weather is still nice, but it has cooled down enough to make running enjoyable.

So ... NYRR just shocked me. NYC maratjon cancelled. This cancellation was earlier than I expected.

Is Marine Corps the only major fall marathon left?
Chicago still not officially cancelled.

Also Marine Corps sent out emails today still planning for the race but they changed their pacing requirements to 12 min miles.

So ... NYRR just shocked me. NYC maratjon cancelled. This cancellation was earlier than I expected.

Is Marine Corps the only major fall marathon left?

Marine Corps just sent out an email dropping the pace requirement for the marathon from 14 minute miles to 12 minute miles in an effort to force some of the field to the virtual option.

I don't know about other major marathons, but Space Coast is still on at the moment. As far as major events, the Broad Street 10 miler is still on.

Well summer is officially here... you that like to run in the heat are crazy! Let's kick it off with an old fashioned QOTD...

ATTQOTD:
1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Winter
4. Summer

ATTQOTD:
1. Summer
2. Spring
3. Fall
4. Winter

My wife thinks I'm insane because I LOVE running in the heat. And I live in the South. I always feel like I get such a better workout when it's hot. The cold makes my cranky and question why I ever started running LOL

Marine Corps just sent out an email dropping the pace requirement for the marathon from 14 minute miles to 12 minute miles in an effort to force some of the field to the virtual option.

I don't know about other major marathons, but Space Coast is still on at the moment. As far as major events, the Broad Street 10 miler is still on.

I don’t know that they’re trying to force the field into the virtual option so much as that’s a natural consequence of the changes that they’ve been forced into. Their notice said that they weren’t going to be able to keep the course open as long, so they had to increase the minimum pace to ensure the course could be cleared on time.

ATTQOTD:
1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Winter
4. Summer

ATTQOTD:
From home
1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Winter
4. Summer
Anywhere else, I will take what I get, I love to explore.

So I could use a little pixie dust......

I’m having a recurrence of a previous cervical disc issue which just won’t go away with the usual “rest for a while”. I’m into my 4th week of zero physical activity and no better. I finally decided to go see a doctor, which happens tomorrow.

As a 61 yr old female with osteopenia, I know that things are likely to worsen over the years- and there is honestly no good treatment for it. But I am not ready for anyone to tell me to stop running. And the ironic thing is that this COVID quarantine has seen my commitment to strength training increase.

So if you have any pixiedust: to spare, I’ll take it.
:hug:

Sorry to hear about all the marathon cancellations, but at least NYRR seems to be pretty generous with 3 years of complimentary deferrals

Good luck with your appointment today @jmasgat
pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter