The Running Thread - 2020

@flav I have two minds on this. When I was much younger and had done maybe 4 marathons, i thought hm i wonder if i can qualify for Boston. Then I looked at the times and was like no way. I needed to shave more than an hour off my marathon PR at that point. It seemed way to nuts so I did not think about it again until 2016. A good 10 years after that first thought. At the time i was happy just running and not getting fast. In 2015/2016 my friend pushed me to get faster. He is of course 10 years younger than me. I added speed work outs and changed up my training a bit (basically do something more than just run). Plus i added more total distance. In Jan 2016 I had another cruddy Marathon weekend, in terms of time. I was hoping to be faster. It was my first time doing only the marathon in 5 years (goofy prior to that). I made a change and that was to lose weight. I was not overly heavy but i had extra weight and i lost 40 pounds. In Feb 2017 was my next attempt at a marathon post weight loss. I was doing the Rock n Roll New Orleans marathon. It was the first time I went sub 4 (without a @DopeyBadger plan). With my age I looked at the BQ times and I only needed to shave 4 minutes off my time. Long story short it took until Oct 2018 for me to run that BQ marathon.

TL;DR: I think if you are way far away i would not focus on a BQ. if you are within 20 minutes of a BQ time, i think you can do it. Might take a few years but it is doable. There is nothing wrong with lofty goals.

Attqotd: i tens to bite off more than I can chew and then let reality settle in. I would say my next big running goal is to complete the same 4 races I did last year. But this time maybe use a coach, mainly for the trail marathon, the other races I breezed though my goals. I tend to tell people about it, but I am judicious about whom. I’m rebuilding my base after an abysmal late winter/spring/summer. If somehow, in-person Disneyland RunDisney races become a thing again I might set my sights on one of em.
48835675-A16B-4E3D-B57F-0655CED6926B.jpeg

QOTD: How do you know that your next big running goal is achievable? Do you validate it with others or trust yourself? How did it go or how is it going?

I know the next big goal is achievable when my data says it is. I appreciate the input of others, but I like interpreting data to decide what is and isn't possible. Been working on my goals since 2012, so 8 years, about 12,000 running miles, and 10,000 cycling miles later. Back in August 2012, I set three initial goals after signing up for my first marathon (and first race).

1) Finish a marathon
2) Run a marathon in less than 4 hours
3) Qualify for the Boston Marathon (which then turned into run a sub-3 which is in the top 2% of finish times nationally)

I completed #1 in October 2012 with my 4:50 finish. It took until October 2015 to run a marathon in less than 4 hrs (3:38). I didn't just break 4 hrs in my 6th marathon, I smashed my PR by 42 min. I figured running a sub-3 was only a matter of time. Everything was mapped out towards October 2017. And honestly, my fitness was in the right place for it. Training went incredibly well and I was very confident. But once the race started, things just didn't feel right. I ended up finishing in 3:14. It was a PR, but in the moment it was disappointing. It took some time to get over that. I look back now and see how much I should treasure that level of fitness, because it has not been easy to get back there. Injuries have been an issue leading up to the attempts after that. I thought I had everything solved leading into Disney 2020. I ran a November 2019 HM as a test run and ran a 1:28 (PR). The data said that was more like M Tempo than HM Tempo. So I was confident about Disney 2020. But training after that November HM seemed to grind me into the ground and Disney 2020 ended up in an injury only a few miles into the race. Although because of the weather, the data said a 3:04 was probably best case scenario. I spent Spring 2020 working on my mile time. Just really trying to get faster. Lowered my mile PR to 5:42 (20 sec PR) and am confident I could shave more time off that with more attempts. So now I'm back training for a HM/M time trial to happen in the next few weeks. I'm taking a very data driven approach based on years of personal data analysis. I'm happy with the progress to date and have increased my Garmin VO2max 8 points in 8 weeks, and most importantly stayed healthy. Now I just need to sharpen my endurance sword and hopefully give this another attempt. I'll know if it is achievable if I can get my Garmin VO2max to say 60 because historically my racing performances top out at Garmin VO2max-6=VDOT race prediction. My mantra is, "If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it."

QOTD: How do you know that your next big running goal is achievable? Do you validate it with others or trust yourself? How did it go or how is it going?

ATTQOTD: The short answer is that I usually don’t know if my next goal is achievable. If I were confident I could do it, I don’t think I would find it motivating to stretch for. I started distance running when I was asked to run a half at Disney. I thought I was crazy to consider it, but I ran my first half marathon (not at Disney) 5 months later. There’s no point in trying to validate my goal with others, as those closest to me think I’m crazy for doing what I already do.

After signing up for my first marathon as part of Goofy shortly after that first half, I was injured, couldn’t run or train for two months and only got back to 12 miles in training before the race weekend. Stepping up to that starting line was terrifying. I almost left the corral. Completing my first marathon under those circumstances was the most rewarding athletic accomplishment I’ve experienced.

Right now, my goals are to run a sub-4:00 marathon and complete a 100k/100m ultra. I go back and forth on the distance I want to stretch for next. My training suggests that I may be able to go sub-4:00 on an upcoming virtual, but I don’t know if I’ll make it because of all the variables involved. After (hopefully) next year’s Dopey, I’ll retool my training to ultra mode and work towards the 100k/100m race.

Will I achieve the goals? I don’t know, but I’m going to work towards them and put together the best strategy I can prior to race day. On race day I’m going to give it my best shot and see what I can accomplish on that day. Regardless, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ATTQOTD: I don't know that I've ever 100% believed I could hit a goal until I am a few miles (or more) into a race :) But I think it turns into a self fulfilling prophecy because people on the dis (hi @DopeyBadger and running thread people) would say I could hit a certain time or distance that I thought seemed scary, or tell me that I was on the right track (back when I journaled my training.) So my attitude is "if you say so" and then I get competitive to try to prove it.
It's been really hard without in person races this year. I was having motivation issues last year and thought this year would be my "comeback" once I could sign up for some goal races. WDW Marathon is my only open remaining race right now & I've gotten myself back to a 30 minute 5k (3.2 miles in 30 yesterday) by just running more often so I could contribute better to a new team relay. So I think it's time to look at completing that marathon in Jan as my goal (no time goal.) I've put on enough weight to go up one size of clothes and that isn't helping either.

ATTQOTD: My big goals are almost exclusively distance-based, not time. Because I know I can push through and go longer, but speed/pace is of no interest to me. I've quit running any races for time because doing so never brought me any pleasure. I guess I knew I could do a half when I did a 10K, and I was pretty sure I could do a marathon after I hit 15 miles. If I can find a shoe that doesn't leave me limping after 6 miles*, I know I can do a 50K because of that time I finished a "marathon" with 27+ miles and felt like I could do more.

*anyone in need of a brand-new pair of women's Brooks Glycerin 17s, size 7.5B?! The 16s were great, but the 17s hate me, lol!

Interesting question. Currently my next goal is the virtual NYC marathon. I’ve done four marathons so I know it’s achievable however I’ve never run that far at home. I do discuss my running with others including those here and other friends. So far things are going good. I have a couple more weeks of heavy training and then it’s taper time.

I believe nearly all running goals are achievable. Some, like most of us here on this board running a 4-minute mile, are clearly not, but most of the rest probably are. You need to be realistic about what it will take to achieve them, and if you’re willing to accept that, no reason you can’t do it. In this case, a BQ is certainly doable with the right training, the right training plan, the right diet, etc. Huge commitment and some significant sacrifice, but certainly achievable.

ETA: Am I chasing a unicorn?
TBH, my running goals are not outrageous, I'm not an elite runner nor does that hold any appeal.

I believe that with time and effort I could do more than I am now, but that time and effort are not available.
The targets I do set are similar to the way I set my other goals, a version of GAP analysis. An honest assessment of where I am is sometimes challenging, which is one of the few aspects of goal setting I occasionally ask other people for input. I consider the (maybe illogical and arbitrary) goal. I map out what it would take to get there. Sometimes it is clearly on paper achievable and sometimes it is not. If not I would also consider asking others but in practice I rarely do.

My first goals were just to run longer distances up to the marathon and it was just a matter of putting in the training runs to feel like I got there. After that I focused on better times. My first 2 time goals were and 18:00 5K and a half under 1:30. Those happened with increased mileage.

I'm at the point now where my top goal is a BQ which is currently 3:10 though who knows how the lost year will impact how much you need to beat your BQ time by to register. I know I can do it because it is only 6 minutes faster than my PR. That one will require more data analysis based on the times I can run in training.

After that my next goal is to do a trail 50K which I have no time goal for so I know I can do it. The biggest challenge with that will be finding a friend to run it with. I want to make it a group run at a fun destination location once this whole pandemic is behind us. I used to have the race picked out but the 2017 Eagle Creek fire has kept that race off the calendar for a while now.

I think any goal, both in running and in life, should be hard but attainable. Impossible goals don't really motivate you and goals that are too easy don't really give you any sense of accomplishment.

YQOTD: I recently purchased a ALOVECO Outdoor Night Running Light for my biweekly 4am hill runs. I also wear a reflective vest. The light was purchased to help me be seen as well as to help me see. I’ve used it twice and it works great for what I need.

QOTD: I really don’t know that my next big goal is achievable when I make it my goal. So far, all of mine have been achieved. My most recent big goal was to run a 10 min mile. I’ve had that goal for a few years. I achieved that goal this past weekend (9:56). I’ve had that goal for so long that I was afraid I wouldn’t achieve it. My next goal is to maintain that pace for a 5K. If I keep going in the direction I’m headed, I’m pretty confident I can hit that at some point. Another goal is to run a full marathon before I turn 40. That is set to be achieved January 2022. I’ve also added in the goal of running a challenge. That was to be W&D but now it looks like it might be combined with my first full MW2022 in the form of Goofy. .

I usually do tell others about my goals. Most of my friends and family are so impressed that I “run”, that they don’t question my goals or if I could really achieve them. With 2 half marathons under my belt and many other shorter distance races, the idea of me running a full marathon in the next year or two is also not improbable in their eyes. Many do consider me getting up at 4am to run crazy but I honestly agree with them. That’s just what I have to do.

ATTQOTD: I have set my eyes on getting that 100 mile buckle. My first attempt was supposed to be in August, 2019. Then I had set backs. Now my goals are to work back up to the distance, be smart, and enjoy the process. Losing a year and having to start from scratch really pointed out to me how much I took the ability to run for granted.

I believe my goal is obtainable with lots of hard work, that is what will make it do special when it finally happens!

Just about done with a 3 month challenge. it was 520 miles (bike/run/walk/swim). my target was 1040 (done) and 1300 miles is close. 205 miles running, 9 walking (mostly beach) and 1056 biking. got a week left. It was a great motivator for the last 3 months but need something new. One of my 10ks just bit the dust (go virtual, defer up to 3 years away or refund - went full refund). Got one more race on the docket (5k/10k) but that has little chance

QOTD: How many miles do you get out of your running shoes? How do you decide when it's time for a new pair? (Bonus: What shoe are you currently running in?)

ATTQOTD:
I know we've talked about this before, but I after having some shin and foot pain, I realized it's time for a new pair! My body usually tells me when it's time. I usually get about 325-350 miles from each pair. Currently running in my millionth pair of Asics GT2000's.

Last edited:
QOTD: How many miles do you get out of your running shoes? How do you decide when it's time for a new pair? (Bonus: What shoe are you currently running in?)
Fitting considering I just got new shoes. I previously never tracked my mileage on my shoes but am doing so with this new pair. I normally just went on feel and age.

I am currently running in New Balance Vongo V4.

ATTQOTD:
I usually get around 300 miles. I can sometimes stretch the mileage up to 350ish, but I usually only use them for shorter runs after 300. If I start to feel any aches or pains after 300, they get retired.

I am currently running in New Balance Vongo V4.
I run in NB Vongos! I’ve used them since v2. I’ve heard they have been discontinued! And this makes me really sad. Most new shoes will cause half my foot to go numb after a mile or two, but these work for me! And I can run long miles right away without really having to break them in. I bought 3 pairs from Running Warehouse recently to get me through the year (and Dopey...). I’m really hoping that they are not discontinued, but just super delayed in releasing a new version (even though it was my running store who told me they were discontinued). 😭

I did get a pair of NB FuelCell Prisms recently. They are a lot lighter, and really didn’t cause any numbness, but I’m just not sure if they will really work for long distances for me or not. I’m kind of scared to try. In the process of finding the FuelCells, I bought and returned a couple other pairs (different brands), that did cause numbness. Since the Vongos, I know I shouldn’t have to deal with this, and I don’t want to accept that I will have to really break in every new pair of shoes.

ATTQOTD:
I usually get around 300 miles. I can sometimes stretch the mileage up to 350ish, but I usually only use them for shorter runs after 300. If I start to feel any aches or pains after 300, they get retired.

I run in NB Vongos! I’ve used them since v2. I’ve heard they have been discontinued! And this makes me really sad. Most new shoes will cause half my foot to go numb after a mile or two, but these work for me! And I can run long miles right away without really having to break them in. I bought 3 pairs from Running Warehouse recently to get me through the year (and Dopey...). I’m really hoping that they are not discontinued, but just super delayed in releasing a new version (even though it was my running store who told me they were discontinued). 😭

I did get a pair of NB FuelCell Prisms recently. They are a lot lighter, and really didn’t cause any numbness, but I’m just not sure if they will really work for long distances for me or not. I’m kind of scared to try. In the process of finding the FuelCells, I bought and returned a couple other pairs (different brands), that did cause numbness. Since the Vongos, I know I shouldn’t have to deal with this, and I don’t want to accept that I will have to really break in every new pair of shoes.
That's where I just got my v4's on running warehouse. I looked at the FuelCells too. I need something with stability for over pronating.

300-400 miles or whenever my knees or shins begin to hurt. Considering I haven’t run much since our full lockdown last spring, it’s probably time to rotate in a new pair.

ATTQOTD:
I'm like the Princess and the Pea, I start to notice changes after 250 miles or so, or even earlier. By 300 I'm definitely ramping down on using a pair of shoes. I typically have more than one pair in rotation at a time though. And I have totally dropped the ball on keeping track of shoe mileage during coronavirus. Today I just busted out a new pair of Hoka Cliftons I had been hoarding in the closet! Sounds like it's new shoe season for lots of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter