• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2021

That looks like a great plan to me! I was initially looking at the base building trainings but they were either too easy, or too focused on speed work than I was looking for. Thanks again for taking the time to help out!

Any other suggestions? I've been working on foam rolling and stretching to help with recovery, but as you noted I'm pretty new to this.

Admittedly, I am still learning A LOT about running, but my main tutor is a physical therapist that I worked with last winter who is a runner and works on runners all day, every day. His theory during the pandemic is to work on consistency of running (# of times per week) and strength (to stay injury free in the long-term). If you aren't working towards a races in the near future, there is no need to do speed work which increases the probability of injuries (at least in his opinion).

Again, from my PT's training program (Runsmartonline.com), he puts A LOT of focus on run specific strength exercises that all runners HATE doing - things like planks, lunges, balance work, yoga, etc. But I've found it a well-thought out, easy to follow plan and Steve's explanations of why he is recommending things are easy for me to understand. (Note: I am NOT a science or math person so I get easily lost when the numbers start to come out). The paid program has custom built running plans that you can use as well as the strength programs, but Steve also does a lot of short, free video explanations on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/runsmartonline ) if you want to check him out.

QOTD: It's likely very cold where you are, leaving some of us dreaming of warmer temps! Would you rather run in 110F or -10F conditions?

(inspired by the recent discussion on temp ranges of course!)

Last edited:

For those of you following along, RnR Vegas just announced a permanent move to FEBRUARY starting in 2022. I'm bummed, as this was a quick trip for me and the old date (mid-Nov) was perfect for a check-in half leading up to MW during my training for the full. They also had a lot of military support, being Veteran's Day weekend in November for many years. I'll be curious to see how this goes for them.

Edit to add something I didn't notice before -- they also canceled the full! Just a 5K, 10K and Half now for RnR Vegas.

https://www.runrocknroll.com/events/las-vegas

Last edited:

QOTD: It's likely very cold where you are, leaving some of us dreaming of warmer temps! Would you rather run in 110F or -10F conditions?

I'm in the 110F camp. I hate needing to get bundled up to run. My hands are cold no matter what. My answer might change if it was the middle of summer right now, rather than the coldest stretch of the year here in PA!

I really don't mind either one. I rather run in 50-60F temps, but I'm just happy to be out enjoying the run, and variety is always nice. My issue for winter trail running is not the temps, but the depth of the snow on the trails; right now in Chicagoland there is over a foot on my favorite lightly used trail which is more than I care to slog through.

ATTQOTD: Put me in the 110F camp, as well. I run in the late afternoon and evening in the NC summer heat and humidity, so heat indices over 100F are pretty routine for me. I wouldn’t call it comfortable, but it’s a lot better than the cold.

At the other end of the spectrum, I tend to chill very easily. I think a lot of the cold sensitivity is related to my weight loss. I’m in long sleeves and gloves as soon as the temps dip below 50F. I’ve actually run in wind chills down into the single digits, but it’s an exercise in extreme misery.

ATTQOTD: I am also in the 110F group. I run in Houston and try to get at least two runs a week in the heat of the day during summer. I feel like it helps my endurance and I know there is some supporting science behind that feeling.

Running in under temps under 40F is confusing as to getting the right level of clothing for the run. I did run this weekend in race with temps from 38 up to 65 and back to 35. I ended up in shorts and a short sleeve shirt for most of the time but needed gloves when it hit about 40F.

View attachment 555090
I ran an actual race last weekend! The conditions were rather brutal and it was probably one of the slowest half marathons I’ve ever run, but who cares, it was a live race! I’m hoping to have a full recap up soon in my training journal.
Sorry I missed you there! Great race and certainly the toughest marathon I have ever run! Well by lap 6 it was not so much run as shuffle, crawl and repeatedly ask myself why did I sign up for a marathon I. The snow?Seriously though, absolutely beautiful course and great vibe. I will do it again.

ATTQOTD: Definitely the cold. I hate running in the heat and humidity, which makes life tough since I've been living in the Middle East for most of the past 9 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter