• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2021

May Training Summary
Miles: 201.26
Time: 29:44:06
Average Pace: 8:52/mi
Average HR: 133/min

Will start training for Chicago Marathon here in a couple weeks. We had some unseasonably cool weather here for a week, so it's been nice. But it's about to get real with more miles, heat, and humidity. lol :jester:

Last edited:
May 2021 Training Summary

Running duration = 3:37 hours
Running mileage = 27.2 miles
Average Pace = 8:01 min/mile
Average HR = 136
Indoor Cycling duration = 11:00 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 174.1 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 112 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 112 watts
Strength = 6:11 hours
Total Training Time = 20:48 hours

Raced a marathon on 5/1. Didn't go as hoped, but still my 6th best marathon out of 15. I had some left fibula pain before and after the race. So I took/taking off a precautionary five weeks from running. I re-evaulated my training and am going back to my roots with the plan I used in late 2015-early 2016 that led to good VDOT conversions of short distances to the marathon. I'm aiming for the November Madison Marathon, but am staying flexible. I've got a HM in three weeks, but given the recent time off from running, I'm just doing it for fun.

May 2021 Running
Miles - 90.94
Time: 15:41:43
Average Pace: 10:29
Average HR: 142

Did a half marathon at the beginning of the month and then started a new @DopeyBadger plan for the Wineglass Marathon at the beginning of October.

Hoping to do this plan and transition into another for WDW Marathon 2022. *fingers crossed*

I had some left fibula pain before and after the race. So I took/taking off a precautionary five weeks from running.
I went through something similar last November and made the same decision - was concerned that it might be the beginnings of a stress fracture so played it very safe. I took 4 weeks off and returned slowly without any hint of the pain returning when I got going again. I hate taking time off from running, but 4 weeks beats the heck out of 4 months.

Hopefully you will be good to go when you crank it back up.

I went through something similar last November and made the same decision - was concerned that it might be the beginnings of a stress fracture so played it very safe. I took 4 weeks off and returned slowly without any hint of the pain returning when I got going again. I hate taking time off from running, but 4 weeks beats the heck out of 4 months.

Hopefully you will be good to go when you crank it back up.

Similar line of thinking here as well. I'd rather take the time off now, which leaves me 23 weeks of training before race day. Then, push through now, and find I have to take time off when I'm 12 weeks out from race day and screwed from that perspective. The time off has been good for the legs. I passed the single leg jump test last week, so I think I'm ready to go. But I'm giving myself one more week off, as originally planned, just to be on the safer side.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy I had 68 So I feel you on the PW. However my run today was good. Seems my soleus is better. Just in time for my hiking trip. Last week though on my first week running outside from the muscle strain, I tripped on a sidewalk and skinned my knee. I was just happy to stay upright today. However weather was excellent for us.

My latest malady is mysterious left foot pain. I'm running on a rubber track, so nothing to step on or trip over. Out of nowhere my foot explodes in pain. It's unusual in that it is very non-specific pain. Usually you can poke and prod and figure out 'it's this tendon or this ligament'. This is just vague, dull pain. It feels swollen, but doesn't look it.

It's been one thing after another: a sore butt, a sore front hip, Achilles pain, now exploded foot. None of them have risen to the level of an injury (yet). Just nagging aches and pains. I'm chalking it up to stress and total miles on the odometer. Maybe the 60 year/60,000 mile warranty has expired.

I'll be out there again tomorrow to see what happens.

May Training Summary
Running Miles: 162.55
Running Time: 27:28:19
Average Pace: 10:10/mi
Average HR: 144/min

Extras:
Walking Miles: 100.2-
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 2,007.47

May saw a return to a more normal running volume after April’s dip. The month was highlighted by completion of my 12th marathon in atypically cool May temps for NC, which allowed me to accomplish my first sub-4:00 marathon, shattering my official PR by almost 21 minutes. Now I’m sitting here with a shiny new proof of time hoping that rD will announce an in-person Marathon Weekend where I can use it!

Moving on to nearer term plans, though, I’ll be starting a new training plan the first week of June to get ready for a 50k on Labor Day Saturday. Fingers crossed for an atypically cool day when that one rolls around! CRAW continues to be a lot of fun, motivating me to get out and walk more than I would normally. I really think the added walking volume has done wonders supplementing my running capability.

May totals:
Miles: 168.18
Avg pace: 8:40

Was pretty exhausted for 2 weeks, I think due to (sorry TMI) my wacky menstrual cycle. Taking a few days off before starting a @DopeyBadger training plan for an October marathon. Not racing it, but want to be prepared to pound the pavement for 26 miles. I hope it's a fun experience!

@flav love the reviews!

Heat: I absolutely hate running in the heat especially humidity and the sun beating down on you. Sometimes I feel like my skin is telling me: "you've accumulated too much lifetime UV, get in the shade!"

Injuries: they suck. I hope everyone recovers quickly!

Happy Global Running Day! :banana:party:Maybe I'll break my "fast" and do a quick run on the treadmill. :rolleyes1

In-Person Race Report - Tobacco Road Marathon

The Tobacco Road Marathon is run primarily on the mixed pavement and crushed gravel of the American Tobacco Trail in Cary, NC. Built on an old rail bed, the course features mild grades, with the exception of the gently rolling hills of the 2.25 mi it takes to get to and from the trail from the start/finish at the USA Baseball Center.

This was my 12th marathon. I wasn’t really sure what I was going to be capable of or how to approach it. I’m only 7 weeks removed from my first 100k, which only gave me 3 weeks of light recovery running (one of those just walking at WDW), 2 weeks to re-introduce longer tempo runs and push my distance back up, and 2 weeks to taper. Given uncertainty like that, I tend to default to “go for it”. My plan was to go out and run at a 4:00 marathon pace (9:09/mi) and reevaluate the strategy each 1/4 of the race.

The temp was surprisingly cool for mid-May in NC at 46 deg (44 dew point) to start. I was scheduled to start in the 6:45 mini-wave, but the starting chute was empty when I showed up at 6:30. So I got my temp checked, walked down the chute and started early.

The first quarter of the race clicked by uneventfully, with the first 6.55 mi passing right on schedule in 59:52. The 2nd quarter went by in similar fashion, hitting the halfway point at 13.1 mi in 1:59:44. Taking stock at that point was a mixed bag. On the plus side, my stomach was holding up well with my nutrition strategy. After experimenting with Maurten and Tailwind with mixed results I went back to my old standby of Huma gels and was downing one every 4 miles. On the downside, at only 16 sec ahead of pace, my legs were starting to feel the effort. The way they felt, I resigned myself to 4:00 slipping away and resolved to focus on seeing what I could hold onto.

Apparently I gave up too quickly, though. Around mile 15 I got a huge 2nd wind in my legs. Miles started to feel easier than they had all race and I felt like I was flying down the trail! Others might have seen a 50yo man slightly improve his pace if they’d been watching very closely. I don’t remember what my 3/4 split was, other than that it was encouraging. At the 20 mi mark I pulled out my secret weapon. 80s music gives me a lift, but has to be used carefully. I had been carrying my headphones waiting for the right moment and this was it. I was starting to feel like my 2nd wind revival had been a false dawn that led to over enthusiasm that might bite me at any moment. I definitely got the lift I needed from the music and spent the last 6 miles bearing down on the mile I was in. It even turned out I had enough in the tank to sprint the last tenth of a mile or so.

Ultimately, my final time was 3:57:31! My first sub-4:00 marathon! I couldn’t be happier! It’s a new official race PR, beating my previous best Chicago Marathon time by 0:20:40. It also beats my virtual race “unofficial” PR from last fall by 0:08:43. Looking at the in-race details, I negative split the race by 0:01:57, too (1st half 1.59:44, 2nd half 1:57:47). All in all, a great day of racing! Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

TL;DR Summary
Tobacco Road Marathon run in-person today. Finished in 3:57:31 for my first sub-4:00 marathon and a new official PR by 0:20:40. Negative split the race by almost 2 min.

Congratulations! What a fantastic race! 🍌

May 2021 Stats

• Running
    • distance: 90.1 mi
    • average pace: 12:40 min/mi
    • total time: 19.02 h
    • comments: I've switched to doing a lot of trail running (for training for trail races), and it definitely means I'm a lot slower overall and accumulate further miles. I am bummed to have not hit at least 100 miles this month and the past month, but the increase in my training cycle should get it for June!
  • Walking
    • distance: 47.3 mi
    • comments: This was way down for me compared to April and March. I was so busy with the end of the semester at work that I had to cut back a lot on walking. Hoping to get back to it more in June.
  • Tennis
    • time: 10 h
    • comments: This is almost back to a pre-pandemic level, as we have had more outdoor tennis. Loving it!

Question for the ultra runners. The final preparations are underway for my first ultra (50k) on Saturday!! So what do you put in your drop bags?

I actually have two bags to pack, one for mid race, mile 17, and one for the finish line. We will be shuttled in so I won’t have my car.

So far for mid race I have fuel for the last half, long sleeve tee for just in case, and sunscreen. For the finish line I have water, tailwind recovery mix, a change of clothes, and my oofos slides.

Question for the ultra runners. The final preparations are underway for my first ultra (50k) on Saturday!! So what do you put in your drop bags?

I actually have two bags to pack, one for mid race, mile 17, and one for the finish line. We will be shuttled in so I won’t have my car.

So far for mid race I have fuel for the last half, long sleeve tee for just in case, and sunscreen. For the finish line I have water, tailwind recovery mix, a change of clothes, and my oofos slides.

For a 50k, I don’t think you need much more than what you already have. Maybe a pair of clean socks and some gum for the mid race bag? A beer for the finish bag?

Sounds like you’ve got things pretty well figured out, already. I agree with @FFigawi that a pair of socks would be a good addition to the mid-race bag. Don’t underestimate how good those fresh socks will feel at that point!

The only thing I’d consider adding to the finish line bag is a jacket. I tend to get chilled pretty quickly as I cool down from a race and a jacket can help prevent that, as well as providing some additional protection if it should turn rainy or windy. Also, if you’re going to have to wait around for a shuttle back out to your car, that just extends the cooling off period.

Good luck!

I am not an ultra runner but one thing that I fin useful after any distance is a beach towel. If you get hosed after your 50k, it can be used to dry. If you need to wash up a bit, you can wet a corner with water and use the rest to dry. If you need to change in the middle of nowhere, you can hide behind it. If you are cold, it can be used to warmup. If you are dirty and want to sit in a bus or in your car, it can save your seat.

Other ideas are Body Glide for the mid-race stop. Rain poncho and emergency blanket for the end.

Good luck!

I will start with the caveat that I am a huge over packer.....that being said....
For my 50 miler, I hit my drop bag at two points in the race. I did a complete clothes change (shoes as well) each time and it was wonderful to get into a completely dry set of clothes. On the second stop I was able to pick up another layer as well. In addition, I had glide, kt tape, a towel, and some snacks.
A lot depends on bag limits set by the race and your climate. I'd rather have something and not need it.

For a 50k, I don’t think you need much more than what you already have. Maybe a pair of clean socks and some gum for the mid race bag? A beer for the finish bag?

Definitely can’t forget the beer!!!

Sounds like you’ve got things pretty well figured out, already. I agree with @FFigawi that a pair of socks would be a good addition to the mid-race bag. Don’t underestimate how good those fresh socks will feel at that point!

The only thing I’d consider adding to the finish line bag is a jacket. I tend to get chilled pretty quickly as I cool down from a race and a jacket can help prevent that, as well as providing some additional protection if it should turn rainy or windy. Also, if you’re going to have to wait around for a shuttle back out to your car, that just extends the cooling off period.

Good luck!

Thanks! Socks have been added to both bags. I’ll have the opportunity to drop a sweatshirt or jacket at the start line that will be collected and added to drop bags so I should be good but maybe something warmer too.

I am not an ultra runner but one thing that I fin useful after any distance is a beach towel. If you get hosed after your 50k, it can be used to dry. If you need to wash up a bit, you can wet a corner with water and use the rest to dry. If you need to change in the middle of nowhere, you can hide behind it. If you are cold, it can be used to warmup. If you are dirty and want to sit in a bus or in your car, it can save your seat.

Other ideas are Body Glide for the mid-race stop. Rain poncho and emergency blanket for the end.

Good luck!

Thanks! Great idea on the towel, never would have thought of that!!! And I added the body glide too!

I will start with the caveat that I am a huge over packer.....that being said....
For my 50 miler, I hit my drop bag at two points in the race. I did a complete clothes change (shoes as well) each time and it was wonderful to get into a completely dry set of clothes. On the second stop I was able to pick up another layer as well. In addition, I had glide, kt tape, a towel, and some snacks.
A lot depends on bag limits set by the race and your climate. I'd rather have something and not need it.

Thanks! Added the KT tape. No limits for the bags, they just asked to keep it as light as possible. The race is in the mountains outside of Denver, usually about 10 degrees cooler up there. Forecast right now is calling for a high of 88 and 10% chance of afternoon showers so upper 70’s and hopefully done before any storms pop up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter