The Running Thread - 2021

June Totals

Running
  • 100.0 mi - the first time reaching 100 mi in a month since March; trail running definitely lowers mileage
  • average pace: 12:43 min/mi
  • total time: 21.19 h - the most time spent on running in a month since March
  • comments: On the last day I was going to be running in June, I ended up with just over 99.5 mi, so of course I had to run a bit more to get to 100!
Walking
  • 54.8 mi - up a bit from May
Tennis
  • 22 h - the most I've played in a month since October 2019!
  • matches: 8
  • comments: since matches are 2 hours, this is the reason for the big jump up in tennis. It's been great to play a lot! All except 6 h was outside, which has been a challenge between the heat/humidity and cicadas!
Unfortunately, I sprained my ankle trail running on July 4. I don't think it's too bad, and I should be able to road run again soon, but I don't know how soon for trail running. (I sprained my ankles a lot between 1998 - ~2010, but I haven't since I started strength/plyo training and tennis seriously. Boo.)

June 2021 Training Summary

Running duration = 12:41 hours
Running mileage = 82.6 miles
Average Pace = 9:13 min/mile
Average HR = 139 (9 bpm less than M Tempo)
Indoor Cycling duration = 3:00 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 47.75 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 110 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 110 watts
Strength = 1:43 hours
Total Training Time = 17:24 hours

Average T+D = 142

Least amount of training since June 2019. Gave myself some downtime after doing ~2.5 years of 8-20 hrs of training per week. After sorting through some things, I'm moving back to a training plan I used for Fall 2015. Which means I'm dropping the cycling, and increasing the running back to six days per week. So far everything has gone well. My hamstrings are far far far less tight than they've been in a while. Fitness isn't anywhere close to racing levels, but I'm not really surprised since I took five weeks off from running. My daughter (7) has also restarted running with me again. We're doing 30/30 intervals for about a mile ranging from 12:30-14:30 pace depending on the weather. We're training for the Princess 5k. She got four runs in in June and is aiming to do it 2x per week. She also wants a watch, but I told her in due time. Lastly, I raced the neighbor kid while he was on his rollerblades. I lost 2-1, but I did hit a new Garmin top end speed of 3:45 min/mile pace. Training for the Madison Marathon officially starts next week and we'll see after 3 years off from six days per week running whether I can manage it.

Thinking of giving the Glycerin a try or Hoka. No idea which Hoka to look at. Or maybe give the Ghost one more shot and see if a new pair fixes me.
I tried rotating shoes. Too complicated for me. I know, a drop down to pick shoes after a run is not that hard, but just one more thing to forget to do.

One pair at a time, and let Garmin tell me when they're done.

After saying that rotating shoes is too complicated for me, that's exactly what I'll be doing.

I hedged my bet and got a new pair of Glycerins AND Ghosts. I didn't even try Hokas, as they seemed too big of a leap.

I haven't run in them yet, but my initial take is that the Glycerin is tight in the toe box, even though I got a wide. The Glycerin has a 'front bumper' overlay that the Ghost doesn't have.

If you like the Brooks Ghost, be aware that they changed the toe box design in the 14s. Went to go get shoes today and my little toe was catching on a seam/shoe edge, both L and R shoe. The guy who was fitting me said the toe box in the 14s is shorter than prior models. I have a pair of 13s from the fall, and just killed my last pair of 10s; didn’t need a new pair but the only way to guilt trip DH into new shoes for him is to also get a pair for me.

I ended up with Adrenaline 21s (still have a pair of 20s from the fall too so will be able to compare those).

Haha! I have another shoe question! (Be shocked.) I really need to take my 1080s out of running rotation, I think. They just make my feet hurt more often than not if I don’t get them laced *just right* so I’m looking at the same 880s that I already have, which are last year’s version. And I really don’t love any of the colors. However, there is a pair with gore-tex that I like and I’m wondering how useful that would be since I live in the snowy north, where we make sure your Halloween costume can fit over your snowsuit.

So QOTD:

If you live somewhere with snowy or wet and cold winter weather, do you wear different shoes (or a winter version of your preferred shoe) for your winter running?

If you live somewhere with snowy or wet and cold winter weather, do you wear different shoes (or a winter version of your preferred shoe) for your winter running?
I tried a winter version of my preferred shoes and it doesn’t make any difference. In general (four full winters running), I use my regular shoes with ski or merino wool socks (obviously never cotton). The running itself generates a lot of heat and I never had any problem.

If conditions are very slippery, I add Yaktrax Run to one of my old pair of shoes.

ETA: My eyes were colder that my feet:

supposedly the goretex is supposed to make them water resistant which, given how slushy early winter can be, is potentially an attractive feature. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on shoes that I'll only wear in the winter AND still have to get another pair to rotate with my current 880s.

I have a pair of my running shoes in Goretex. I dont live up in the snowy winter anymore. I bought them for rain. First breathability is an issue. They don't really breath. If it is pouring buckets or you step in deep puddles your feet get wet. If water gets in your Goretex shoes it stays there. I don't wear mine much but i do if it is raining lightly or just recently rained and i am concerned about puddles (i dont have deep ones on the road).

TL;DR: I don't wear them often. If you can get a pair cheap, they are ok when you need them. I would not run in them everyday.

So QOTD:

I had to start doing this last year. When I moved on from the Wave Riders to the Wave Shadow and now the Peregrine the breathable part of their shoe starts much lower. I have a pair of On Cloudflows that I use when it is slushy because if you step in one slush puddle you get your feet soaked.

For the trails I run in the Peregrine and have a pair of the Peregrine ST for mud and snow. I tried the Goretex version of the Peregrine but they were so stiff I just went with the ST.

Last edited:

I switch to my Ghost GTX for winter running. They're also my best trail shoes for easy trails, or Cascadia for more technical trail runs.

Contrary to some others that replied previously, I do see an advantage to having different shoes for winter running, as roads are often slightly icy more than snowy. Or I do like @flav and add spikes to my regular shoes. But I do enjoy the GTX :)

ATTQOTD:

In winter I do use my trail shoes more (Hoka Speedgoats) not for warmth but for traction. They simply feel more solid to me in the snow and ice than my street shoes. When the ice is bad I will add my yak trax. For warmth I will wear a thicker sock and/or leg sleeves. I have found that too keep me warm. When it is slushy out I do get wet. I have no answer for that and chalk it up to the winter running experience or jump on the treadmill! Always a good choice for me when Michigan winter gets real.

@Herding_Cats

From one Michigander to another: Get the Gore-Tex running shoes!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!

They will keep your feet warm and dry. I wear just normal Balega socks with mine. Breathability is fine, not something you notice in the dead of winter anyway. A pair will last you several winters (I think I'm going on 6 years with mine). They have been especially useful in the winters leading up to Marathon Weekend, when you know you've got to get those long runs in, but can't fathom doing them on a treadmill.

@Herding_Cats

From one Michigander to another: Get the Gore-Tex running shoes!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!

They will keep your feet warm and dry.

They have been especially useful in the winters leading up to Marathon Weekend, when you know you've got to get those long runs in, but can't fathom doing them on a treadmill.

And this is the exact reason I’m even considering them. The november-January running for MW. Granted, I’ll more than likely have to do at least half of my training in the treadmill just because I won’t want to drag the baby out into the really cold temps (although at this point I have ALL of the stroller covers to help keep her warm and dry.)

I run on snowy days all the time - same shoes. My feet get wet, but they get much wetter in the summer from sweat. My feet never stay cold running in winter past the first few minutes, and I run in sub-zero temps.

I will not, however, run in slush or on ice. The roads are not wide enough for the risk to outweigh the reward. That really only costs me 3-4 running days each year. I run in newly fallen snow up to 6 inches deep. More than that and I wait for the plows.

I ended up with Adrenaline 21s (still have a pair of 20s from the fall too so will be able to compare those).
Do Share!
Going to the running store has been on my to-do list for nearly a month, but model changes make me want to cry and I am not sure I can cope with that right now.

Haha! I have another shoe question! (Be shocked.) I really need to take my 1080s out of running rotation, I think. They just make my feet hurt more often than not if I don’t get them laced *just right* so I’m looking at the same 880s that I already have, which are last year’s version. And I really don’t love any of the colors. However, there is a pair with gore-tex that I like and I’m wondering how useful that would be since I live in the snowy north, where we make sure your Halloween costume can fit over your snowsuit.

So QOTD:

We plan on Halloween costumes to fit over snow gear and if possible incorporate an umbrella because you simply never know ( Did you know you can spruce up an umbrella with duct tape to make it look like a Pokeball to go with your Pikachu and Evie costumes?!)
I had gortex shoes which I thought were great for slush, except there was often ice hiding below and the slop just ended up on my ankles and dripping into my very sweaty feet. I ended up changing my running path because the university is really good about lighting and snow removal, allowing me to eliminate the need for waterproof shoes for most of the winter. But it means doing laps around The Big House, which is more hilly than if I just ran in my neighborhood.

Do Share!
Going to the running store has been on my to-do list for nearly a month, but model changes make me want to cry and I am not sure I can cope with that right now.

The Adrenaline’s seem to have no change between models. The store was pushing hard in the fall for me to try the 20s based on how I was moving, though they happily fit me in the Ghost 13s. I bought a pair of each at the time, then promptly hurt my ankle. Every time I thought I was healed I would go out and do something stupid like fall off the edge of the sidewalk while walking the dog and be back on the injured list, so both my Ghost 13s and Adrenaline 20s are virtually new. The store owner (been selling shoes for 40 years) is a big believer in not changing shoes for people who have something they like unless the product changes, which is what happened Saturday. The Ghost 14s are unwearable as far as I am concerned, which is how I ended up with a pair of Adrenaline 21s. DH is all for them for the added stability he is hoping they will provide my right ankle. He got a pair of Saucony Guides.

The other local running store (shoes, gear and races), sent an email out Sunday that was interesting. Essentially he has been told by his suppliers that shoe shortages will continue until mid-2022. He went on to explain that the manufactures have two different types of inventory: their wholesale inventory which they sell to other stores and their on-line direct to consumer inventory. The manufacturers are keeping a higher direct to consumer inventory and a lower wholesale inventory right now, which is why you might be able to find shoes on line and not in stock at your local store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter