The Running Thread - 2021

Running Safely Question: Do you run with identification or emergency contact info when it is not on the backside of a race bib?

While I run with a phone, I do not run with ID (it gets washed, every time, along with any tissue or chapstick). I have lingering concerns about what happens when a car hits me and destroys my body and phone, and no one knows who I am. I have long considered Road ID, but I do not want it on my watch band and the shoe version seems giant.

I have two RoadID items. One is the dedicated bracelet and one fits on the watchband. I like both. I have my name, two contact phone numbers, favorite bible verse, I RUNDISNEY and the NKDA (no known drug allergies). I am looking at getting a new wristband one that has my birthdate and blood type as well.

Running Safely Question: Do you run with identification or emergency contact info when it is not on the backside of a race bib?

While I run with a phone, I do not run with ID (it gets washed, every time, along with any tissue or chapstick). I have lingering concerns about what happens when a car hits me and destroys my body and phone, and no one knows who I am. I have long considered Road ID, but I do not want it on my watch band and the shoe version seems giant.
Not me. If I die on the side of the road just push me into the ditch. I won't mind.

Seriously, I live in a small town. Everyone know everyone. No ID required. But when I travel, I carry an old, expired drivers license with me which I carry on runs.

I've been running on the same suburban trails forever, and have never thought about safety. But next week I will start spending most of my time in Philadelphia so maybe I should think about it more, I don't know. I always run with my phone to listen to music or podcasts. I've never really been too concerned about safety, but I do see that I'm very rusty when it comes to looking out for cars when crossing the street in the city with my earbuds in! Right now I don't have any plans to carry id besides my phone.

They also make dedicated wristbands with the IDs if you don’t want it on the watch
When I am running alone, I do wear my dedicated Road ID wristband (name, home city/state, birthdate, wife's name/phone number, "No Med History", "NKA - NKDA"). I used to have the Road ID shoe tags, but didn't like needing to periodically switch them around (plus I worry a little about folks actually seeing them, if needed). Even with two shoe Road IDs (rotating two main trainers), you still need to switch when you retire shoes, plus I oftentimes have 3-5 pairs of different shoes when you include trail running, tempo and/or race shoes.

Supposedly my new Garmin will automatically alert folks and send help if I fall, but I don't want to completely trust that the technology works in all situations, so I still wear the Road ID.

I use my RoadID when I’m cycling. Even if I’m on one of the dedicated cycling tracks, the chance of crashing is always there. I don’t wear it when I run because I’m not worried about getting hurt or having something happen.

Road ID on my running shoe, that way I can't forget it. I do a lot of my runs on 2 college campuses. If something happened to me, they would have no idea who I was. I have name, year of birth, allergy information, emergency contacts.

I also usually run with my iPhone, which has ICE contacts designated.

This question reminds me that I need to order new ones: we cut the landline, 2 emergency contacts are no longer with us, now 2 pair of shoes in rotation, rather than one.

Supposedly my new Garmin will automatically alert folks and send help if I fall, but I don't want to completely trust that the technology works in all situations, so I still wear the Road ID.
I have a friend who has a Garmin with this feature. We passed on a trail a few weeks ago and stopped to talk. His wife called him about 5 minutes into our conversation. The Garmin had notified her that he had stopped unexpectedly. It seemed to work for him.

As a first responder (retired) I hate the ID on the shoe thing. You don't realize how many times your shoes won't make the trip with you (especially in auto-ped situations) and it's not a place we would typically look for personal/medical information. I wear one on my wrist for cycling and running.

@DisCatz, regarding what to do with the shoes you bought, I second wearing them in when you go get fitted. If the store suggests something different give it a try. Best case is you have the right pair of shoes or a pair to wear in rotation, worst case is you now have a nice pair of shoes for general use.

Buy 2 pairs and alternate wearing them for walks/runs, and don’t wear them for anything else.
FWIW, I have a pair of Brooks Ghost 11 that were/are wonderful but need replacing. I tried the Ghost 13 but returned them, and now I have a pair of the Brooks Glycerin, plus a pair of Mizuno Waveriders.

The toe box changed on the 13s and it is shorter. I hated it in the store. Found 11s on clearance on line and bought 2 of those to rotate with the Adrenaline’s I was fitted in. Sad about the change.

Have you been properly fitted for running shoes? I bought new Brooks shoes but was not fitted for them. I have researched local running stores near me and plan on going to do so in the upcoming weeks. If I do get fitted and buy new ones do I not use the current ones for running anymore

Depending on how long ago you bought them, Brooks has a pretty generous “Run Happy” return/exchange policy, so you might be able to swap them for a more appropriate pair, if need be.

As a first responder (retired) I hate the ID on the shoe thing. You don't realize how many times your shoes won't make the trip with you (especially in auto-ped situations)...
I've worried about this. Now I'm thinking ID on the shoes so I don't forget it, and wrist/watch/ankle one also.

Has anyone here had a heel spur? How did you know it was that and not PF? Dr. Google suggests my heel pain could be either but this doesn't feel like PF to me. How did you treat it? I'll take myself off to my orthopedist if the pain lingers, but trying to get a preview of things to come if it is a heel spur.

I introduced myself on a journal thread. Running the Akron 1/2 marathon on 9/25 and today is my first long run…. 7 miles. Goal to run entire time and not walk. Did 4 Friday and 4 yesterday. Doing the Hal Higdon plan.
A worthy goal. I have heard good things about the Hal Higdon plans.

For another viewpoint, many of us on the dis boards are interval runners, alternating between running and walking. I'm a middle of the pack runner, and my best times are when I use a walk/run schedule. For example, my last HM, a PR, was about 2:20 and I kept a fairly consistant 2 minute run / 30 second walk interval. No shame in walking as part of an overall strategy.

A worthy goal. I have heard good things about the Hal Higdon plans.

For another viewpoint, many of us on the dis boards are interval runners, alternating between running and walking. I'm a middle of the pack runner, and my best times are when I use a walk/run schedule. For example, my last HM, a PR, was about 2:20 and I kept a fairly consistant 2 minute run / 30 second walk interval. No shame in walking as part of an overall strategy.

Do you follow the Galloway method? Have heard good things. When looking at plans the “Hal” plan just worked better for my schedule at this time…. But l wouldn’t be opposed to the Galloway if l ever try a marathon and have longer to train.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter