The Running Thread - 2021

Just want to whine. I have been having some knee problems the last three weeks. Old injury but aggravated the knee from the plethora of painting in my condo i have been doing. Add running to it and my knee was angry. I did run 10 miles on Saturday that was on my plan. It was hilly and long. Yep knee swelled up like a balloon. I had already scheduled a therapy appointment for monday. I was glad about that.

The good news, therapist is still letting me run (just slow miles) and she is working the knee and the swelling has gone down. So while I have a ton of improvement, it is not perfect yet. Of course i have 2 more appointments set up. Once those are done i think i will be a lot better just based on one appointment and previous history since i have had this before. For some reason i have not been able to fix it on my own but usually about 3 weeks of therapy and i am a lot better. I will then go back to every other month maintenance visits like i was doing pre covid.

Good thing i did not have any grand plans at Disney. I am going to enjoy the 10k, marathon and comradery. And parking lot beers.

Thanks for listening to the whining. I know you all get it.

The importance of knowing the race route and reading signage. Volunteers do not always know better.

https://www.siouxlandproud.com/news...ns-marathon-after-2-leaders-take-wrong-route/
Since the link isn't loading, an Illinois man won the Quad City Marathon last weekend after the two leaders went off course following a volunteer.
I just moved away from this area last year so I'm still pretty tuned into the local news there. Here's the latest from the local tv channel which shares that everyone was compensated and the winner did run the 3rd fastest time on that course, so it's not like he was a slouch.
https://www.kwqc.com/2021/09/29/qc-...ot-first-time-it-wont-be-last-time-marathons/
It's still unfortunate, but I'm not sure what else the race director can do. Volunteers make mistakes.

I set out this month to break 500 miles in September, exclusively running on a treadmill. Then a car drove through our complex gym on the 16th and I had to finish the back end on pavement making it harder to get there. Just missed in the end but gave it everything I had. Going to back off in October after 5 straight months 400+ miles, have an 8 night Disney cruise mid month and I need a physical / mental break.

I ran miles this month....who cares how many, it's totally determined by my marathon training plan and the 1-1/2 weeks I took off for my daughter's wedding, my nephew's wedding and a few hikes in between in Shenandoah National Park.

As for the weekend, I am switching the order of my runs because Paris-Roubaix is on this weekend for the first time in 2-1/2 years (women's first edition Saturday/men's 118 edition) and it's gonna be wet cobbles. Can't wait to watch the Hell of the North.

Last edited:
September total
Running 150.8
Avg pace 10’04”/mile
Walking 142.4

A lot in the beginning of the month with only 15 so far this week as I get ready for 26.2 this Sunday. Excited for my first in person marathon since all the cancellations, of course back before it was scheduled I signed up for the virtual Boston the following weekend so October looks to be a challenging month.

September 2021 totals
Distance: 193.8km (120mi)
Average pace: 6m31s/km (10:30/mi)
YTD: 1806km on 2021km

What a gorgeous month. Unfortunately I had to clip the peak of my marathon training due to a knee annoyance caused at a water park. I recovered well and had a wonderful first in-person race. DD and DH are both regular runners and our combined YTD distance is amazing… and so is our running shoes turnover rate!

Now in tapering, carb loading, weather checking and gear prepping mode, next post should be a race report 🤞🏻

I generally don't post mileage because I'm not a high mileage guy (as you'll see below) but for MW I am using a new training plan and it includes much more mileage than before making September my highest mileage month so far at 179.36. Below is a history of my weekly and monthly miles since I started recording via GPS in mid 2010. You can see my peaks for the previous 3 fulls I did (the first is MW 2011) and I'm already past the peaks in week 6 of this plan with a long run so far of only 13. I'm really feeling good this cycle and am praying I stay injury free.

I ran miles this month....who cares how many, it's totally determined by my marathon training plan and the 1-1/2 weeks I took off for my daughter's wedding, my nephew's wedding and a few hikes in between in Shenandoah National Park.

As for the weekend, I am switching the order of my runs because Paris-Roubaix is on this weekend for the first time in 2-1/2 years (women's first edition Saturday/men's 118 edition) and it's gonna be wet cobbles. Can't wait to watch the Hell of the North.

My favorite race of the year followed very closely by Strade Bianche though the later has been harder to find coverage of the last few years. I rode some of roads the race often uses and Siena is hands down the best city I've ever visited.

September Totals
Run/Walk

Time: 4h 13m 50s
Miles: 17.69
Walking
Time: 4h 6m 26s
Miles: 12.34
Cycling
Time: 1h 57m 53s
Miles: 31.32
Rowing
Time: 20m 3s
Strokes: 730
Cross Training
Time: 9h 50m 56s
Calories: 4090

I only had a training plan for the second half of the month, so the mileage is low. Saturday is my first in person race: the Twin Cities Marathon 10K, so that’ll kick off October with a bang

September Miles = 120

I started Dopey training this month and hit every run so far on my plan. I also did a last minute half marathon with my daughter who wanted one last chance to try to get a POT for Dopey. She came up well short but still broke her PR by 6 minutes. I will be running the Hartford half next weekend and Wine and Dine in November all leading up to Dopey in January. BTW my streak of at least 100 miles per month marches on and now stands at 42 months in a row.

January = 145
February = 111
March = 141
April = 127
May = 143
June = 126
July = 137
August = 119

2021 total miles = 1,169

September:
Total miles: 206.62
Avg Pace: 8:52

Training hasn't been going so well for me, entirely my fault. Looks like my race weather will be both warm and raining with headwinds - eeks! Good thing I'm not running for time! I've boostered and hopefully I'll have some added protection for the race, although it looks like the race officials are taking covid precautions very seriously.

@garneska sorry to hear about your knee. Hopefully it'll heal quickly!

Last edited:
September 2021
Miles: 149.1
Average Pace: 9:43 😮

I missed about 40 miles last week, but it is what it is. I worked my butt off through some miserable FL summer weather and dealing with a medical issue. Now that it is cooling off I am seeing the results of my summer training. I am ready to take on Chicago!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter