The Running Thread - 2021

For those of you who have a treadmill - what brand do you have and do you like it? Moved this summer and don’t have streetlights/sidewalks in the new neighborhood so running when it snows or is dark is not feasible this winter. So need a treadmill that will hold up to daily use by 2 people. Space is not an issue. We are more looking for something that will be reliable and not break the bank.

I don't own one (yet anyway), but I had previously checked out Wirecutter's review. Also, Best Buy has some on sale now for--dare I even say it--early Black Friday. Includes the Proform 505CST, which Wirecutter likes, but is an older model with fewer bells and whistles.

Has anyone had a back issue that led them to stop running with good results? I hurt my back last summer (moving a kid) and while it slowly improved over time, I finally went to PT in June for a few months. I'm MUCH better now, but still dealing with sciatic pain (mostly in mornings or if I sit in awful chairs). I was never a "serious" runner, but I did jog/run a few times a week for the last 8 years I guess (I lost a bunch of weight 8 years ago which is when I gave running a try). Towards the end of my PT I asked my PT how he felt about me running. He said "it's not what I'd choose for you unless it's critically important to your mental health". I wouldn't describe my running that way, or at least I'd love to give a real shot to the sciatic pain dissipating first... that discomfort weighs on me more than not running -- though I do hate how it's harder to close my apple watch rings!

Long way to ask the original question: Has anyone had a back issue that led them to stop running with good results?

(I have not gone to an ortho. The PT said that's certainly an option, but if my pain is not so bad that I'd consider more advance/surgical treatments, I might opt not to (it's definitely not). Essentially anyone my age (58) is going to have indications of disc issues, with or without pain. My guess based on his feedback and tons of internet research is that I have a bulging disc. I continue to do the stretching/strengthening exercises on my own.)

Has anyone had a back issue that led them to stop running with good results? I hurt my back last summer (moving a kid) and while it slowly improved over time, I finally went to PT in June for a few months. I'm MUCH better now, but still dealing with sciatic pain (mostly in mornings or if I sit in awful chairs). I was never a "serious" runner, but I did jog/run a few times a week for the last 8 years I guess (I lost a bunch of weight 8 years ago which is when I gave running a try). Towards the end of my PT I asked my PT how he felt about me running. He said "it's not what I'd choose for you unless it's critically important to your mental health". I wouldn't describe my running that way, or at least I'd love to give a real shot to the sciatic pain dissipating first... that discomfort weighs on me more than not running -- though I do hate how it's harder to close my apple watch rings!

Long way to ask the original question: Has anyone had a back issue that led them to stop running with good results?

(I have not gone to an ortho. The PT said that's certainly an option, but if my pain is not so bad that I'd consider more advance/surgical treatments, I might opt not to (it's definitely not). Essentially anyone my age (58) is going to have indications of disc issues, with or without pain. My guess based on his feedback and tons of internet research is that I have a bulging disc. I continue to do the stretching/strengthening exercises on my own.)
My husband has this issue. He is using a book for strength and stretching that someone recommended to him. He said he can definitely feel a difference in reduced pain. (Just sharing his experience, we are not doctors!): Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence

For those of you who have a treadmill - what brand do you have and do you like it? Moved this summer and don’t have streetlights/sidewalks in the new neighborhood so running when it snows or is dark is not feasible this winter. So need a treadmill that will hold up to daily use by 2 people. Space is not an issue. We are more looking for something that will be reliable and not break the bank.

I bought a Proform 9000 in January and love it. I use iFit constantly and it's really helped me stick to training because I have such a nice variety. I also love that you can make an adjustment and the machine changes all subsequent adjustments accordingly. You can also do HR training with a chest or arm monitor.

I bought a used commercial Precor from a local used gym equipment store. Absolutely zero bells and whistles which makes it cheaper to fix if something ever goes wrong. It inclines and declines and that’s it. There might be a couple programmed workouts, but I’ve never looked. I wanted a heavy duty motor that could tolerate a 3 hour run if needed over fancy touch screens. I use my iPad and earbuds for entertainment and a standing floor fan that I bought at Target. Some treadmills will require a dedicated circuit so make sure you consider that when shopping. Mine requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit so we had to have our electrician put one in for us.

I’ve worked construction for 30 years. Lots of back issues where they wanted to cut me open. Running has always helped l, but the biggest help was my Chiropractor.

We made a pandemic purchase of a Sole F63 and really like it. My wife is the one that generally uses it because I run outside in just about any conditions but the few times I've used it feels solid and I'm impressed with it considering the cost.

I kept pulling muscles in my lower back and finally went to a physical therapist that got me healthy. He had me do a lot of foam rolling on my front hip, couch stretches, and told me to stand more and sit less. It turns out my back kept over compensating for my hips and ever since I've worked on keeping my hips loose my back has been great.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that will listen. Anytime I have any pain anywhere I open it up and proactively take care of it.

I'm not a doctor, but I have had my fair share of back issues (bulging disc, sciatica, SI joint torsion). I come from a long line of people with bad backs unfortunately. Here are some things that have helped me:

Running - I might be an anomaly in that running has always helped my back woes. I generally just feel better when I'm moving, so I don't sit a lot.

Yoga - A regular yoga practice has done wonders for the alignment of my spine. My doctors/PT are always quite impressed with my range of motion despite all my issues.

Anti-inflammatory/plant based diet - This is a relatively new discovery for me. In the last year, I stopped eating meat and I drastically reduced my dairy consumption. I guess I'm a vegetarian/practicing vegan (I still eat eggs and some hard cheeses). I have had almost zero back pain in the last year.

PT - I've been working with a PT that I really like that last few years. His advice is this: If running doesn't bother your back and makes you feel better, then go ahead and keep doing it.

I'm not a doctor, but I have had my fair share of back issues (bulging disc, sciatica, SI joint torsion). I come from a long line of people with bad backs unfortunately. Here are some things that have helped me:

Running - I might be an anomaly in that running has always helped my back woes. I generally just feel better when I'm moving, so I don't sit a lot.

This...
Oddly enough, running is the only exercise that doesn't make my lower back feel worse

I have the NordicTrack 2450. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it is SOLID and I like the wider belt. It came with a one year iFit membership and I love that there are thousands of workouts on there - I can run anywhere in the world! And not just running workouts, but walking, hiking, strength, HIIT, yoga, etc.

My only hesitation on recommending it to someone is that the touch screen is a bit temperamental sometimes. Last week I couldn't get it to even turn on. Luckily my husband is very tech savvy and was able to figure out how to reboot everything, but like he said, it seems like a cheap tablet/screen for a $2000 treadmill.

I got a Spirit in 2014 after my very old NordicTrac finally bit the dust. I like it a lot, but I don't recall the model and I'm guessing by now they've updated it anyway.

I did specifically NOT consider any treadmills with touchscreen controls after spending too much time in various fitness centers with touchscreens that were too touchy or didn't work once you get sweat all over them. Something for you to think about.

Another thing to think about: are you doing to use the treadmill screen? For TV/movies or their workouts? If so, then obviously you want something decent. If not, make sure that whatever screen it has isn't so tall that it will block your view of your home TV.

Back pain : (sorry - I lost the quote and can't go find it now) I have scoliosis and live with chronic pain from it. Running doesn't make it worse, and often eases the muscle tension that comes with it, so yeah - I definitely don't plan to stop running.

As others have already said, core strength, core strength, core strength. I do yoga and Pilates every week and find that it helps a lot with keeping my core strong and back supple, both of which reduce back pain. I'm also a big fan of arnica gel for "hot spots" when pain flares.

We have a Precor TRM 425. We wanted something that could handle higher miles from two people back to back, neither of which are petite. It has a decline feature and is a wider width and longer belt, too, which my husband was adamant about. We love it. I can’t wait to use it again (I’m coming off a long running hiatus), which is really saying something for a tread.

Thanks to everyone who shared their back stories and successes and resources. My PT definitely had/has me working my core and we both could tell the improvement. Funny enough, one of the things that was easy to see the improvement was my ease getting out of the pool (not using steps or ladder) and even getting up from sitting on the edge of a pool with my feet in the water. VERY simple stuff, but something that was more awkward/ginger last year as compared to this.

I'm glad to hear from some that running either helped or at minimum didn't hurt! After a 5k in August, I thought I'd just keep up my morning walks w/o interspersing the runs for 3 months and see what happens. So far its certainly no miraculous cure for the sciatica, but I would still say I'm improving (but I'm also still doing stretch/strength too). I've come to use a little journal with my workouts (walking distance, stretching exercises, strength exercises) and I'll make note if my back is same/better/worse. Hope to see some patterns.

After just a few visits with my PT (I had an issue with my glute med/piriformis that pre-dated my back issues, so I had a couple of things going on -- happy to say the glute issue seems to be gone. Wish I'd gone for PT for that LONG ago because I may have been able to avoid the latter back stuff had I improved my core). I said how it seemed like anyone my age (late 50s) would benefit from PT. He said they (PT community) would really like insurance to cover an annual check in for seniors (like dental or vision as preventative) so they could advise people on how best to strengthen their bodies and avoid injury and falls. But I think I'll happily pay for that as I age. I really loved it.

Last random comment, I think reading in bed is doing no good for me. I may try giving that up for a bit too. I laid on my side this morning and read and different parts of my back feel unpleasant!

Hi all, I haven’t been on in a while. It’s been an awful past 6 weeks. Thought my dad had a stroke but found out it was a brain tumor and also a lump in his lung. After brain surgery and such, it was too much for him and he passed away last Saturday. This all came out of nowhere and we’re still shocked. Though we miss him terribly, we are thankful it wasn’t longer for him.

DW and I are registered for W&D and I’m doing all three races. Needless to say, I’ve had no training or anything. I know I will finish. It’ll be ugly but it’ll be the most emotional ones I’ve done. I have no goals other than finish.

Congrats to everyone on their races! The race reports have been great and it’s given me something to look forward to reading. I was going to do Wineglass half but couldn’t. They were kind enough to change my registration to virtual so I will do that soon. My friend did it and said it’s great for a PR course or to try my first full. We’ll see.

I’m thankful for this supportive community and wanted to express how much you all help. It’s just not about running but life in general.

Hi all, I haven’t been on in a while. It’s been an awful past 6 weeks. Thought my dad had a stroke but found out it was a brain tumor and also a lump in his lung. After brain surgery and such, it was too much for him and he passed away last Saturday. This all came out of nowhere and we’re still shocked. Though we miss him terribly, we are thankful it wasn’t longer for him.
I'm so sorry, what a shock.

DW and I are registered for W&D and I’m doing all three races. Needless to say, I’ve had no training or anything. I know I will finish. It’ll be ugly but it’ll be the most emotional ones I’ve done. I have no goals other than finish.

Congrats to everyone on their races! The race reports have been great and it’s given me something to look forward to reading. I was going to do Wineglass half but couldn’t. They were kind enough to change my registration to virtual so I will do that soon. My friend did it and said it’s great for a PR course or to try my first full. We’ll see.

I’m thankful for this supportive community and wanted to express how much you all help. It’s just not about running but life in general.
So sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

:hug:

so sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter