The Running Thread -- 2022

January totals:
Miles: 106.03
Avg pace: 7:55

I had a pretty bad hamstring pull which necessitated some serious time off and slow return to running. Taught me I can't just do short "fast" treadmill runs ad nauseum so I've added a longer outdoor run about once a week.

January Training Summary
Running Miles: 148.15 (includes Dopey)
Running Time: 25:47:21
Average Pace: 10:32/mi
Average HR: 142/min

Extras:
Walking Miles: 100.23
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,984.97

January kicked off with a successful Dopey Challenge and included a couple of milestones. After getting back from MW, I realized that I had run my 25th half marathon as part of Dopey. Additionally, I set a new PR for aggregate Dopey time, taking 1:16:29 off my previous best.

After Marathon Weekend, I had to get back into the groove quickly with my A race for the year coming up at the end of March. As a result, January represents my 24th consecutive month of 125 miles or more running. Now it's on to February to keep the momentum going!

Last edited:
Well, there is always the charging puck and battery pack option. You'll lose heart rate for a bit if you are not using a separate strap but you can plug up to a power bank and keep on going with GPS.

View attachment 642447

While I don't plan to do any on the go charging, I'm not a big fan of the stock Garmin charging cable. It's just too short and I find that it can come loose and not charge reliably on occasion. I got a pair of these charging cables (~$10 for 2) and just tried one out last night. The extra cable length is very nice and the watch sits nice and secure, flat on the charger. So far, it looks like a very nice improvement.

January Training Summary
Running Miles: 148.15 (includes Dopey)
Running Time: 25:47:21
Average Pace: 10:32/mi
Average HR: 142/min

Extras:
Walking Miles: 100.23
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,984.97

January kicked off with a success Dopey Challenge and included a couple of milestones. After getting back from MW, I realized that I had run my 25th half marathon as part of Dopey. Additionally, I set a new PR for aggregate Dopey time, taking 1:16:29 off my previous best.

After Marathon Weekend, I had to get back into the groove quickly with my A race for the year coming up at the end of March. As a result, January represents my 24th consecutive month of 125 miles or more running. Now it's on to February to keep the momentum going!
Impressive! Kudos and keep running.

January 2022 Training Summary

Running duration = 32:27 hours
Running mileage = 237.6 miles
Average Pace = 8:12 min/mile (about 50 sec/mile slower than recent Marathon)
Average HR = 131 (14 bpm less than recent Marathon)
Strength Training = 2:06 hours
Total Training Time = 34:33 hours

G miles = 1.3 miles

Peak month for Princess training (although it just comes down to where the month is split because it looks like the peak month period is going to be 275ish miles). Happy with how things are going. Fitness is near an all time high in terms of HRvPace, but I'm still 10-15 sec/mile off peak fitness when it comes to trying to maintain faster end pacing (3k to 10k). Staying injury free as well. So all signs are pointing to a good Princess Weekend if I can manage to hold things together for these last few weeks. Looking like that goal of a Top 3 finish during the 10k may be out of reach, but that's not going to stop me from trying.

G's training has been derailed by WI winter. We set a limit of no colder than 15F and as you can see, there weren't many opportunities for her to get out there. We still have confidence she'll manage to hold her own during the Princess 5k.

January 2022 Training Summary

Running duration = 32:27 hours
Running mileage = 237.6 miles
Average Pace = 8:12 min/mile (about 50 sec/mile slower than recent Marathon)
Average HR = 131 (14 bpm less than recent Marathon)
Strength Training = 2:06 hours
Total Training Time = 34:33 hours

G miles = 1.3 miles

Peak month for Princess training (although it just comes down to where the month is split because it looks like the peak month period is going to be 275ish miles). Happy with how things are going. Fitness is near an all time high in terms of HRvPace, but I'm still 10-15 sec/mile off peak fitness when it comes to trying to maintain faster end pacing (3k to 10k). Staying injury free as well. So all signs are pointing to a good Princess Weekend if I can manage to hold things together for these last few weeks. Looking like that goal of a Top 3 finish during the 10k may be out of reach, but that's not going to stop me from trying.

G's training has been derailed by WI winter. We set a limit of no colder than 15F and as you can see, there weren't many opportunities for her to get out there. We still have confidence she'll manage to hold her own during the Princess 5k.
Hope you can make that top 3, but more importantly, hope G has a great 5k despite weather training limitations. She’ll have a great time making great memories with her dad!

January totals

Run: 81 miles
Swim: 4.2 hours

I've spent the last 2 months getting back to half marathon shape after injury. I think I'm ready. I'll find out this weekend. I am running my 7th consecutive Groundhog Half Marathon on Saturday. It will likely be a slow slog as Mother Nature always makes this race interesting. On cue, we are supposed to get anywhere between 2 and 10 inches of snow tomorrow.

January totals:
Miles: 52.93 * including (39.3 miles for Goofy)
Avg pace: 9:25

This month was highs and lows. I went into Goofy with a suspected injury after my last long run in December, and had done no running the 2 weeks before the weekend in an attempt to recover in time for the races. I was able to complete both, and had a fantastic time doing it, but my knee didn't feel right after the marathon.

Even after a couple of weeks off without running the knee and lower leg on that side hurt. Finally sucked it up and found an Ortho to take a look. Turns out I have a suspected meniscus tear and stress fracture, though the MRIs to confirm are later this week. So no running for now, but I'm cleared to use the elliptical and the stationary bike, which is better than nothing.

Hope I'm cleared to run before Princess weekend, not looking forward to walking a half.

January totals:
Miles: 52.93 * including (39.3 miles for Goofy)
Avg pace: 9:25

This month was highs and lows. I went into Goofy with a suspected injury after my last long run in December, and had done no running the 2 weeks before the weekend in an attempt to recover in time for the races. I was able to complete both, and had a fantastic time doing it, but my knee didn't feel right after the marathon.

Even after a couple of weeks off without running the knee and lower leg on that side hurt. Finally sucked it up and found an Ortho to take a look. Turns out I have a suspected meniscus tear and stress fracture, though the MRIs to confirm are later this week. So no running for now, but I'm cleared to use the elliptical and the stationary bike, which is better than nothing.

Hope I'm cleared to run before Princess weekend, not looking forward to walking a half.

Sorry to hear this! Fingers are crossed for you that there's no stress fracture!

Turns out I have a suspected meniscus tear and stress fracture, though the MRIs to confirm are later this week. So no running for now, but I'm cleared to use the elliptical and the stationary bike, which is better than nothing.

Fingers crossed for a good report from the MRI!

Went for my first run of the year today (well, since the Marathon--but I am trying to forget that). Just 3 miles, but the weather here is very nice (40F) and tomorrow we get 8-12 or more inches of snow.

I've also decided that for me, posting monthly miles is like posting a Wordle score---just not going to do it. :)

Went for my first run of the year today (well, since the Marathon--but I am trying to forget that). Just 3 miles, but the weather here is very nice (40F) and tomorrow we get 8-12 or more inches of snow.

I've also decided that for me, posting monthly miles is like posting a Wordle score---just not going to do it. :)
But do you even play Wordle if you don't post??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter