The Running Thread -- 2022

Went for my first run of the year today (well, since the Marathon--but I am trying to forget that). Just 3 miles, but the weather here is very nice (40F) and tomorrow we get 8-12 or more inches of snow.
I went out after work. I wanted sun and warmth. It was quite pleasant out but my run was not everything I hoped for. I did my 20 minutes with my intervals. I am going to do it again on thursday. Most things were just like ugh this is new. My knee bothered me a bit in the beginning. I did learn that i should walk for 5 minutes or so before i start the 20 minute work out. I was just excited to go run. I am hoping Thursday is better.

Sometimes I thinking losing I'm it, just spent 2 hours reading 20 pages because I kept the 2021 thread open in my browser and closed this one. I've been wondering why no one ever posts anymore...

Anyways
January totals:

Running 133.4 miles
Avg pace 9'28"/mile
Walking/hiking 96.4

Very happy with recovery and mileage post Dopey

QOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones?
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run?
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races?
5. Gels or chews?
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland?

1. Without a watch.
2. 0F... I hate running in the heat.
3. Podcast- I save my favorites for running and always look forward to it.
4. runDisney! Local races are great, but have you run down Main Street USA?
5. Chews (specifically sport beans)
Bonus: WDW- I love land, but WDW is #1 in my heart.

ATTQOTD:
1: I’d rather run without my headphones than my watch, I need that data
2: 0°F is not as terrible as I thought it would be
3: music, definitely
4: runDisney
5: neither?

Bonus: WDW, I like long vacations and DL didn’t give me enough to do

It's looking like the running thread is getting a little quiet... let's go for a Fun Friday Edition of This or That!

QOTD:
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
5. Gels or chews?
1. Both! My Garmin watch and my Aftershokz
2. 100
3. Podcast, usually. Sometimes music
4. Both
5. Both, usually chews
WDW! Because I can drive to it. But I'd like to visit Disneyland for historical reasons at some point.

ATTQOTD:
1. I don't use headphones that often, but running without my watch would be hard.
2. Cold!
3. Podcast. I subconsciously run to the beat of any music, which really screws up my easy runs.
4. rD for sure!
5. I don't care for either. I use tailwind mix in my water and Honey Stinger waffles if I need "real" food.

Bonus: If it's fall, Disneyland for NBC HM overlay. Any other time, I choose WDW.

It's looking like the running thread is getting a little quiet... let's go for a Fun Friday Edition of This or That!

ATTQOTD:
Ok. I'll play:

No headphones. I race without headphones already. Last summer, my watch died during a race and it was miserable not knowing my distance.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
100*F. I routinely run in temps near this and "feels like" well in excess of it. I won't say it's fun, but I get cold easily and hate being cold.
I'm going to take the liberty of lumping audiobooks in with podcasts and go with that. I get bored with the same music over and over and find getting lost in a story helps me pass the miles and can motivate me to get to my next run to find out what happens next.
As much as it pains me, I'm going to have to go nonDisney here. I love a Dopey Challenge, but I need more variety in my scenery, distances and challenges.
5. Gels or chews?
I could really go either way in this one, but I really don't like having to chew things while I'm running (cue jokes about ability to run and chew gum at the same time), so I'll go with gels as long as I can have Humas.
I'll cheat on this one and say for a long trip I'd go to WDW for the depth and breadth of things to do. For a short trip, I'd go with DL because I prefer DLP to MK and California Adventure has some fun aspects.

1. Both! My Garmin watch and my Aftershokz
2. 100
3. Podcast, usually. Sometimes music
4. Both
5. Both, usually chews
WDW! Because I can drive to it. But I'd like to visit Disneyland for historical reasons at some point.
Somebody's not familiar with the concept of "this or that"... :jester:

1. ugh I guess without the headphones but that would suck
2. 0. You can always add clothes but there is only so much you can do in the heat.
3. Podcast
4. Only local! Our local races are pretty great.
5. Gels

oops forgot the bonus... WDW no question

QOTD:
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
5. Gels or chews?

1. Watch
2. Neither? I don't do extreme weather
3. Music! I'll occasionally listen to podcasts but mostly I'm all music.
4. runDisney. I think after my next race I'm done with local races.
5. Do jelly beans count as chews? Because if yes, chews. If not, gels.
Bonus: Land. I love WDW but Disneyland is my place and I want to be there always.

QOTD:
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
5. Gels or chews?
ATTQOTD:
1. Run without a watch.
2. Run in 0*F
3. Listen to a podcast.
4. Gotta be runDisney!
5. Chews
6. Overall WDW is superior, but Disneyland is my favorite!

QOTD:
Without watch. That's what cell phone apps are a good backup for.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 100°F. Can't stand the cold.
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Most runs, podcast. If I'm racing though I prefer music.
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? Rundisney. Can't ride ToT during a run at any of my local races!
5. Gels or chews? Gels. Easier to carry a bunch of them.
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? WDW. It's my relaxing vacation destination.

QOTD:

watch. i need the distraction in my ears.

2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
no. just......no. this is why i have a treadmill.

music--i have made playlists for various running paces with different beats per minute to keep my cadence steady

local. so many options, and i can fit them into my schedule instead of fitting my schedule around the more rigid rD weekends

5. Gels or chews?
waffles? Probably chews. I can do either but gels just get to be nasty after 5 or 6 hours (and when you're on your 4th or 5th one. ewwww.)

no clue. haven't been to DL.

QOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones? Headphones. I never wear them, they would ruin the run.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0° isn't all that bad once you warm up.
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Neither, see answer to 1.
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? Local/non-Disney. I like running way too much to only do it when I'm in FL
5. Gels or chews? Gels
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? WDW

QOTD:
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
5. Gels or chews?
1. Without headphones. I rarely run with them anyways.
2. 100F - mainly because there is usually wind here and if it wa 0 with wind, I wouldn’t last long outside (no matter how many layers I wear - and I’ve tried it… sucks all energy out of me)
3. I guess podcasts/audiobooks - if I happen to be running around an indoor track.
4. local vs nonDisney matters. I would choose runDisney over local, but not over nonDisney. There are so many races out there, and I’m trying to experience as many of them as I can (while repeating ones I like)
5. Chews

I would like to see Disneyland again, but I would choose World - for the longer trip.

QOTD:
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
5. Gels or chews?
ATTQOTD:
1. I run with my phone, no watch most of the time, never headphones
2. 0°F in general but I miss the beach these days so I would like 100°F for a week
3. DD and/or DH speak a lot these days. I used to like the occasional NRC guided run so podcast. Music messes my rythme.
4. I wouldn’t have much of a racing season if I was doing runDisney only. However, there are tons of other races around the world for me to explore.
5. Gels, so many flavors! Chews can be replaced with other food but I do like mixing up the textures.
Bonus: Toughest one! Disney World because I can stay there longer and go to the beach before. More relax but if I have only three days, I prefer Disneyland.

Last edited:
QOTD:
Without headphones. I don’t always run with them anyway because a. I lost my good ones and b. Triathlons don’t allow them so I try to practice without.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
0 I suppose… I don’t think I’d be running at 100. Maybe walking.
I usually listen to podcasts if I am listening to anything.
Only runDisney, as long as I can still do triathlons!
5. Gels or chews?
Chews for sure.
WDW! But I haven’t been to DL since I was 8. Hopefully going in November though unless my conference in Anaheim gets moved to virtual.

QOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones? Without watch. I don't own one.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0°F no question
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run?Podcasts
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? Like, forever? Ugh, have to say nonDisney.
5. Gels or chews? Whatever the race provides for free.
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? I've never been to Disneyland, so let's go with that.

QOTD:
Headphones. I don’t use those anyway.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0F for sure. 100F is my summer daytime temps and it is just too hot to run in.
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Can I go with neither? I don’t listen to anything now. If I had to pick one, I’d go music As I love hearing music along a race course.
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? Local/nondisney. I love variety! And the ability to actually race, not just fun runs.
5. Gels or chews? Gels
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? DL for me. I have only been there a few times, versus WDW I don’t even know how many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter