The Running Thread -- 2022

I want to buy a second pair - so how do you split your shoes if you have more than one pair? Weekday shoes and long run shoes?

I was thinking I would turn my current shoes into weekday shoes and then buy a second pair for long runs on th weekends.

I run on one pair until they hit about 300 miles. Then I introduce a second pair and alternate until the oldest pair hits 400-450 miles. Then I start the cycle over. Coming into a big A race, I will break in a new pair for 25-30 miles and then use them for the race.

Quick shoe question -

During my Disney Marathon training, I was using one pair for all of my training. My feet would hurt a lot on my 15+ mile runs, so some friends suggested in the month leading up to the race I let those shoes sit to the side so the cushion would come back. So I wore other shoes for the last month or so and then brought my original shoes to the race. My feet still hurt at the end, so I think the cushion was just shot anyway. I retired them after the marathon.

I want to buy a second pair - so how do you split your shoes if you have more than one pair? Weekday shoes and long run shoes?

I was thinking I would turn my current shoes into weekday shoes and then buy a second pair for long runs on th weekends.
I have 3 pairs of shoes; two for outdoor running, one for treadmill runs. All three pairs will be coming with me for Princess Weekend.

Quick shoe question -
so how do you split your shoes if you have more than one pair? Weekday shoes and long run shoes?

At a minimum I have 3 pairs rotating at any given point. Currently I have 5. I don't repeat pairs but the rotation isn't set. Usually there are a pair or two that are nearing the end of their life that I use for shorter runs or rainy runs. Then there are a pair or two that are newer that I favor for longer runs. Right now I also have a more heavily cushioned shoe I use for recovery runs as they are too soft for anything else. The main reason I have 5 right now is because I have a pair of ghost 13's that I just don't love. They probably have 100 miles or so on them but the ride is just rougher than what I feel like the ghost usually offers. So, those are relegated to short runs or runs where I will be on softer dirt paths.

Return to running has been delayed. Started off with it raining last week when I was going to get the runs in. So I figured I’d try again this week. Well Sunday I woke up with a really high HR. Long story short, I ended up in the ER and now overnight at the hospital. In AFib and scheduled for a procedure to shock it back to normal in the next hour or two.

no idea when or if running will be allowed. Also my apologies for lack of better medical terms.

Return to running has been delayed. Started off with it raining last week when I was going to get the runs in. So I figured I’d try again this week. Well Sunday I woke up with a really high HR. Long story short, I ended up in the ER and now overnight at the hospital. In AFib and scheduled for a procedure to shock it back to normal in the next hour or two.

no idea when or if running will be allowed. Also my apologies for lack of better medical terms.

Sorry to hear that! Take care and get your heart in order! Sounds like you've got bigger fish to fry than a return to running right now.

The curse of February strikes again. Opted to sleep in this weekend (which is rarely an option in my house) and now today it's raining. Hoping to get back on track tomorrow.

Take care of yourself. Hope all goes well today.

Take care of yourself and speedy recovery!

It's looking like the running thread is getting a little quiet... let's go for a Fun Friday Edition of This or That!
QOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones?
without headphones

2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
100, I really dislike the cold

3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run?
music

4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races?
if I must choose, I'll stay with runDisney

5. Gels or chews?
gels

Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland?
WDW, never been to the left coast

Quick shoe question -

During my Disney Marathon training, I was using one pair for all of my training. My feet would hurt a lot on my 15+ mile runs, so some friends suggested in the month leading up to the race I let those shoes sit to the side so the cushion would come back. So I wore other shoes for the last month or so and then brought my original shoes to the race. My feet still hurt at the end, so I think the cushion was just shot anyway. I retired them after the marathon.

I track each pairs miles and keep at least 3 pairs in rotation, 2 cushioned long run/recovery pairs and 1 lightweight for speed days and races. Currently I have 2 fast pairs, 1 with around 50 miles and 1 at a couple hundred as well as 3 cushioned for long or slow days with various mileage.
I look very close at how they feel around 350 miles and only have one pair that I use past 400
I never use the same pair 2 days in row.

Hoping it all goes well for you.

It's looking like the running thread is getting a little quiet... let's go for a Fun Friday Edition of This or That!

QOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones?
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run?
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races?
5. Gels or chews?
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland?

A little late to the party but 1. run without headphones. Though I tend to run a little faster when I wear them I rarely wear headphones.
2. I live in the Northeast. I have run in zero, never 100. What would the humidity be like. You know it isn't the heat it is the humidity. :D
3. Music for sure. Podcasts do not help me run.
4. Non-Disney. I have run in 6 Disney marathons. The majority of my races are Non-Disney.
5. Gels. I suck on them any way. No chewing.
Bonus: WDW. Been to WDW about 14 times, I have never been to Disneyland.

QOTD
1. Run without headphones.
2. Give me 100*. The cold just hurts.
3. Music!
4. I don't do many local events, so I will take run Disney!
5. Gels. Quick gulp and be done with it. Don't like trying to chew and breath at the same time.
Bonus: WDW. I grew up and lived in California until my mid 30's. I went to DL a lot. I was an AP holder for years. We started going to WDW when we moved to Texas. That is now home to us.

Good luck @LSUlakes

Quick shoe question -

Not counting shoes I have for special purposes like trail shoes and racing flats I generally rotate two pairs of the same shoes. I have one I primarily use for all the runs and a second that I break in and then have lying around as needed. Generally that means my primary shoes are still wet from a rainy run or something like that.

As I get closer to the end of life on the primary shoes I'll try to use the secondary ones a little more often so they are well broken in when the primary one goes. As that comes close I get pair #3, break them in with a run or two and then retire the primary shoe. At that point the secondary becomes the new primary and #3 the new secondary.

Quick shoe question -

I have 2 pairs of shoes that I wear only for running; I change out of them when I get home after a run. I also alternate wearing them on runs.
My walking around shoes are either retired running shoes or cheaper ones that I’ve bought to be casual sneakers.
when I started tracking my runs last summer, I also started tracking the miles on the shoes. I learned the hard way that worn out shoes are painful; spend the money for fresh ones.

when I started tracking my runs last summer, I also started tracking the miles on the shoes. I learned the hard way that worn out shoes are painful; spend the money for fresh ones.

@xjillianpaige I use strava to track/store runs and you can add your shoes to your account. After each run, select the shoes you used. You can also set up a reminder distance and strava will let you know when you are getting to the point you might want to think about getting a new pair. Like @Mr_Incr3dible said, only wear running shoes for running. Not only will it extend the life of your shoes but it keeps your tracking accurate.

@xjillianpaige I use strava to track/store runs and you can add your shoes to your account. After each run, select the shoes you used. You can also set up a reminder distance and strava will let you know when you are getting to the point you might want to think about getting a new pair. Like @Mr_Incr3dible said, only wear running shoes for running. Not only will it extend the life of your shoes but it keeps your tracking accurate.
I only recently discovered this same feature in Nike Run Club. Previously, I would add up all of my miles using NRC app. Now, I can just click on my shoes and it tells me exactly how many miles I’ve run thus far.

I only recently discovered this same feature in Nike Run Club. Previously, I would add up all of my miles using NRC app. Now, I can just click on my shoes and it tells me exactly how many miles I’ve run thus far.

Garmin Connect also has a mileage tracking feature for shoes and other gear. I use it to track the mileage on my shoes and the custom insoles my PT makes me, so I know when it's time for a new set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter